main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Star Wars: Resistance

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Apr 26, 2018.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  2. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    Felt pretty similarly about this episode as I did the first - stuff on the ground is boring (about the first half of this episode), but the flight sequences are thrilling, really love all the ship designs. Also appreciate how the background characters are much more diverse and unique than Rebels, maybe this animation style makes it easier to make different species? Also loved the scene with the First Order, really excited to see more of that.
    Also the new episode got added to my $2.99 amazon purchase! I was getting worried it was only the first episode.

3. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I do like that the episode gallery skipped over all the stuff that pads the episode with one line of text in parentheses: (On the way, he tries his hand at spying to mixed results, including a run-in with Grevel.) We're 1.5 hours in and the episode highlights the biggest problem with the series.

Kaz - agrees to be a spy in the first episode
    His cover - mechanic
    His only skill - pilot

So he's never spied before and he doesn't know how to be a mechanic, so the point is made that by drawing the attention that he does by being a **** up at everything couldn't possibly mean he's a spy - which makes him the perfect spy. He's essentially Inspector Gadget where again his only skill is flying, but he currently doesn't have a ship to show off that skill. Cool, he has a trophy that tells me he's a good pilot, but don't tell me - show me.

4. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Clearly BB-8 is the spy and the bumbling mechanic/wanna-be racer is his cover.

bizzbizz, Kylun, quinlan solo and 8 others like this.
  5. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    He is Dan Aykroyd and Chevy Chase in Spies Like Us.....he is the incompetent sent in to provide the distraction to the real spy.

6. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Here's the live action version of Resistance with Kaz on the right and BB-8 on the left.

[​IMG]

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    This episode got a lot better when the pirates showed up. Kaz seemed a wee bit dumber than in the pilot episode, which is quite a tightrope to walk from endearingly earnest but in over his head to just a complete boob. But, yah, once the pirates showed up (and their awesome designs) it was pretty sweet. As I said before, I'm pretty sure the cell shading animation (probably cheaper and faster) lets them have much more expansive like in Clone Wars and not as limited as some Rebels episodes could be.

Also, Phasma! Whoohoo!! Saying Phasma stuff and being condescending!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So, the second episode at least gives us a sense of where the show is going and what it's importance will be ied to, even if we don't exactly yet what that is.

Kaz is still unappealing but I don't hate him, either- he's just too cartoonish in his behavior like his tip -toeing spying. Kaz's jacket apparently has Time Lord pockets that are bigger on the inside than on the outside, so I've started theorizing how the Doctor regenerated into this new form and it helps me like him a little bit more.

Also, was the lead pirate flying an Assault Gunboat? Sure seemed like it or an Ugly designed to evoke the look of a gunboat.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  9. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    These are from the episode guide....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kylun and The2ndQuest like this.
  10. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    Second one looks like an A-Wing cockpit with TIE Interceptor wings? I love it, wish we got art for the other ships too. I just like all the pirate designs, the one guy with the stormtrooper armor looked cool.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's not too far off, but not exact- unless you look at it as having had the missile racks stripped from the craft.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TheRedBlade and MercenaryAce like this.
  12. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    The description below the posted concept art on the star wars website states that it is a modified Lambada shuttle.

Though I can see the gunboat being a source of inspiration, either in or out of universe.

BobaMatt and The2ndQuest like this.
  13. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I'm going to hope that it's an in-universe influence, too.

The2ndQuest and MercenaryAce like this.
  14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I mean, the gunboat itself is basically "armed Lambda shuttle".

MercenaryAce likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, the pirate cockpit is clearly Lambda in origin, but then, without looking at a direct image, one’s impression of an Assault Gunboat is basically, as Vthuil said, that of a more heavily armed Lambda with extra wings.

I think it might be safe to say that it’s an inspiration both in and out of universe, assuming that the AG itself gets recanonized (or reinvented with a Lambda cockpit) somewhere, if it hasn’t been already.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  16. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    "Zhee Treepail Dharkh?!?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  17. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Fuel for the fire spoilers
    • I get that Kaz should not shirk his duty, but at the same time maybe he would learn better if you actually taught him Yeager!!! At a certain point Kaz is not to blame for messing up, it is the person telling him to do a job he has no training for, and responds to failure by saying "fix it or else" rather than making sure he knows how to fix it so he does not have to keep needing help.
    • "and if you're not careful everyone else will know that to" THEN. HELP.HIM. LEARN. TO. BE. ONE!!!!!!
    • "do you cause you sure aren't acting like it?" gee maybe he would be able to act more professional if you would actually give him advice instead of yelling at him for being unskilled at something he has no background in!! Sorry but god Yeager is really starting to tick me off
    • Frodo!!!
    • I know these people are totally gonna turn out to be bad, and Kaz is gonna learn some lesson about how Yeager was right,but dammit no these people are right. Workman's comp or no race team. Start a revolution on the Colossus my comrades!!
    • Gee maybe he would be able to fix it if you actually taught him how? Seriously as Einstein did not actually say (but is none the less a good quote): the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Man now I want master Oogway to show up and teach Yeager
    • I love Kaz's "yeah yeah that sounds terrible" great delivery. Seriously though I think this ep would work better if the message was that Rucklin has the right idea, that positive reinforcement is vital and treating your employees like actual people is helpful
    • You know might be best to keep hyperfuel is a more secure location given how valuable it is?
    • can we stop with that elderly alien....coming onto Kaz
    Hmm so overall, the message was not as botched as I was worried it would be, but I do think it got muddied. I think by the end they don't say that Yeager's methods where fine cause Rucklin was a bad friend. However I do think the message gets muddied cause the two issues Kaz deals with here from the two groups of people are not at odd with one another, Ruclin being reckless does not really contrast at all with what Yeager wants him to do, which is be better at something without anyone teaching him how or being reassuring. I think these plots could have worked better as two different eps, that way you don't run the risk of making it seem like Yeager was in the right all along, cause frankly he was not and I hope kids don't take that message away from this ep.

Barriss_Coffee and MercenaryAce like this.
  18. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I will retort with....
    Yes Yeager should actually be helping Kaz to be a better mechanic....however at the same time....Kaz is an academy trained military officer...he should have some semblance of military discipline to be focused on his job and not running off doing whatever the heck he feels like. And if he needs help then he needs to man up and ask for it.

vncredleader likes this.
  19. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    His role as a solider aside, I am talking more in the sense of what kids will take away from the episode. Plus while Kaz does not directly ask for help, he more than a little implies that he has no idea what he is doing. I mean at the very least they should make sure he does not accidentally get everyone killed. Like keep a child-lock on the engine unless Neeko or Tam are supervising. I love Kaz, but he is a danger to himself and others

Chris0013 likes this.
  20. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I see that....

vncredleader likes this.
  21. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Na man that's Kaz's entire arc, it's all setting up for Workers Revolution!

Also at least the next few episodes according to the summaries seems to pick things up story wise. And that the last two episodes are what i call "Domestic Star Wars"

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2018
  22. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    A-Wing cockpit and what looks kinda like an Actis interceptor's wings? The little weird fins do it for me.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  23. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Should also mention this episode was written by Eugene Son in case you want add that in your review....I like always knowing who writes what episode.

24. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    Watched the first two episodes and I’m just not feeling it hopefully it improves but it feels more childish then rebels and clone wars

Vialco likes this.
  25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Did a new episode come out this weekend?