main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Huh. Weird. I've never hear of group assignments with online classes. Then again, I also feel like the further you get in education, the less and less group work there is, particularly in the arts and humanities.

Hey, at least it's a healthy coping mechanism

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    jcgoble3 likes this.
  2. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Wish you well dear Azure. Get yourself healthy again.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    AzureAngel2 likes this.
  3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Ugh, that's terrible JC. I hated group projects. The only ones I can really stand are like the ones I did in a technical writing where we had to come up with solutions as a team but everyone had to do their own individual work (papers, memos, presentations, etc.) so really it was like coordinated individual work. There was no need to talk or work together outside of class.

And yeah, a group project in an online class is even stranger to me.

Master_Lok likes this.
  4. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm not worried about the essay at this point, and I'm just waiting on a response from my partner for the speech.

What I am worried about right now is that I was in a major car accident this evening on my way home from school. I was driving eastbound on a four-lane divided highway, and there was an accident in the westbound lanes being cleaned up. Unfortunately, somebody in front of me decided to rubberneck and slowed down to a ridiculously low speed. I had to slam on the brakes to avoid the car in front of me, and the driver behind me couldn't slow down in time and rear-ended me. That started a five-car chain reaction collision (plus another car that swerved out of the way and just barely clipped one car with the right-front corner) and sent one person (not me) to the hospital. Fortunately, I'm not injured and my car is drivable for now, but the trunk is unusable, and it's possible that the insurance might declare it totaled (the whole bottom of the trunk is pushed upward, and that might be frame damage, which usually isn't fixable). The other four cars are definitely totaled.

So now I have to deal with insurance and body shops tomorrow for the second consecutive October. At least this time I'm not at fault and the other guy is going to be paying, which means I should hopefully get a rental car while mine is in the shop.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  5. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Sorry to hear about your car accident, @jcgoble3

6. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Glad you're okay, @jcgoble3! It's always scary when something like that happens. Gawker blockers are the worst.

What a gorgeous quilt, @Briannakin! That will brighten up a dreary winter day, for sure!

Briannakin and jcgoble3 like this.
  7. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    LOL! I've never heard that name before. Around here they're commonly called "rubberneckers" or "lookie lous". But I think I like "gawker blocker" better.

Briannakin likes this.
  8. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Don't know what they call them around here and my In-Laws have lived in lots of different places; mostly they get called idiots if they're not paying attention to the road and don't use their turn signals (I've lost count how many times my MIL has honked at someone that didn't use their blinker/turn signal or just pulled in front of her on a busy street and mutters 'idiot').

Well @jcgoble3 at least it wasn't a sheet of plywood that wasn't properly secured to a truck bed that came free and smashed into your windshield; that happened to someone yesterday or the day before on I-95. No one was seriously hurt and the truck driver was ticketed, people in the comments thought the truck driver should have been fined and charged with reckless endangerment.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Eeek! I'm glad you are okay JC. That's scary!

Here in Canada, you can be fined with reckless endangerment if something flies off your vehicle. My housemates had their rear windshield bashed in by a ladder that wasn't properly secured. My housemate had to slam on the brakes for something, so the van behind him had to stop... but the ladder on top of the van did not.

Actually, yesterday I nearly got rammed by some tiny old lady in A HUGE dually with a ATV in the back who tried to come into my lane after she had merged. Thankfully I saw her and kinda had a feeling she couldn't see all around her.

10. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm so glad you are okay @jcgoble3!

I forgot to say before that I LOVE that quilt Bri. I still need to try and make a quilt, I've only been saying that for over a year now. :oops: I've not done any sewing since we got Admiral Ackbark mostly because he doesn't like us doing anything other than sitting on the couch or taking him outside. LOL. (Working nights isn't helping any.)

I baked some bread this morning, it had been so long since I'd done it I'd forgotten how amazing it smells and how much better it tastes. This recipe was super easy too, it's a no knead bread so you basically mix it up and let it rise forever, then bake.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  11. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Folks, I won't be around for a while. Find me elsewhere on the board or message me if you want to talk.

I've been perpetually disillusioned since about March and at this point, there is nothing for me here, absolutely nothing and at this point, it reached the level where I cannot cope with it. Too much pressure in this that I just can no longer cope. I need a break. This is not good for me. I might even have to talk to my therapist about it, because I am heavily conflicted.

And I can assure you that nobody was hostile towards me, that this has nothing to do with the crude humour I employed on April Fools' Day and people's unexpected reactions to it - it's completely private. :)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    Master_Lok and Lady_Misty like this.
  12. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Man, I feel for you. Group projects made me a mess earlier at the online uni where I am slowly getting my bachelors. That was the biggest shock besides a few professors not updating their syllabi (links sites etc). As someone who stays uber on top of assignments, group assignments are the bane of my college existence (there's always at least one or two in the group who barely do anything and are late with assignments etc.). I know this uni is using them to foster folks getting used to working in groups in the real world, but gosh there's always some unnecessary stress involved.

Hang in there!

I shouldn't listen to this Bolt Thrower song because my neck will hate me later...[face_sigh]

@Ewok Poet - boy I can relate to that too. I hope things work out as I enjoy your writing and posts here. If you want to PM me, feel free.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  13. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Thanks. I'm officially out of group project hell for the time being. The group essay was turned in about an hour ago, and we have a few weeks before we need to get moving on the second group essay (the course requires two), and I can learn a few things from this one to help make the second one go more smoothly.

As for the speech, the course design doesn't require a group speech, but this instructor chooses to make this demonstration speech a group thing in her classes because it's supposed to be a more laid-back one, not worth as many points as the major speeches. Most of the class immediately paired (or trio-ed) up a couple weeks ago with someone with whom they had an obvious topic in common, but I got left out in that rush and had to be assigned to a partner that wasn't present that night, and we couldn't even figure out a topic that worked for both of us. After a lot of stress over my partner not responding to my emails, I talked with the instructor tonight in class and she offered me the option to do the speech by myself, which I am doing. My former partner will be working with another student that was absent previously and didn't get into a group. So now I have one week to pull together my speech.

Master_Lok likes this.
  14. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Wow something similar happened with me. The rest of my original group were dragging their butts so I was added to another group almost a week in. I was stunned they went with my idea, but outside of the fourth wheel who caused us all stress over the five remaining weeks of the project, it went okay.

Glad you have a break and can do the speech by yourself.

Wish you all the best with the class.

Ugh reading threads backwards...glad you’re okay re: car accident.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  15. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Wuhuu, suddenly I find myself planning a weekend in Scotland [face_tee_hee] . I am "forced" to use all my remaining vacation days before end of year and thus I've signed up for numerous Fridays off work in November. One of those weekends could easily be used to visit Edinburgh I think. The challenge is now to find an easy travel plan. (So far flying to Aberdeen and then train down to Edinburgh seems to be the best choice, else there will be flights with 2 or 3 flight changes.) For once I'm ditching hotels in favor of B&B. I know from previous experience many years ago that B&B can be very good in Scotland.

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh I wish I could live somewhere that I could fly off to Scotland for the weekend. That sounds so lovely!

I keep thinking I need to get away just for me. I think it would do a load of good for my mental (and maybe physical) health. Yes I was away twice this Spring, but one was camping while I did 40 hours of study on Jewish creation myth, and the other was for school (I did have a few days in London but wasn't super restful). I am going away at the end of December, but it will be far from restful (I think it's 8 hours a day of studies and seminars with another like 4 hours of lectures... and concerts at night... and I think I'm rooming with 4 other people...). So I'm thinking I might need like a week on a beach somewhere in 2019. My university program hasn't announced dates for their summer school yet - we had them by like August last year. So if they don't have one next year, I think I might take an opportunity to go somewhere warm

Also, I fell asleep on my couch after dinner and woke up to this:
    [​IMG]
    The sun went down and she's sitting on my black bean bag chair, but she opened the coffee table drawer and turned on a flashlight. Scared me so much.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  17. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Unfortunately it became less lovely when I began to check out prices and flights :_|. It's more than my credit card likes right now. It's still recovering after my vacation and the purchase of new hiking boots. Maybe some time in the spring... I don't trust the weather too much so late November until end of January is off limits for such vacation later on this year.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  18. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    For a laugh I asked TE what he thought of a sequence of names that the initials spelled USAF. At first he didn't get it then I told him to consider the initials then he and his Mom laughed and while they both approved of my humor and thought it was funny both agreed it wouldn't work and there aren't a lot of 'U' names that I would feel comfortable with pronouncing.

My MIL wants to visit Scotland one day and I would like to visit the Lands of my Ancestors; of course I could cross one of them off the list by crossing the border into Canada but I need a passport first and more than 'some of your ancestors moved to Canada before immigrating to the US at a later date.'

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Hmm. No, now that I think of it, there aren't many common "U" names used in the West. Ulysses is a pretty cool name though.

But my father's initials were BRA (and he never forgave his parents). And mine commonly are TBA (since I don't often use my other middle name) and it's just gets confusing whenever something is labelled 'To Be Announced' (TBA). SOOOO think carefully about initials.

I woke up today with a craving for apples, so I went to the store and bought some, so I think I'm going to attempt make apple crisp tonight (without cinnamon). I also bought Halloween candy which I totally did not need. I also REALLY need to kick myself in the pants and work on my dissertation proposal.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  20. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I also need to kick myself in the pants and work on my speech for Thursday. But....... it's Sunday and I feel lazy. Also, NFL games are on, and my Bengals kick off in about two hours. Lazy wins for today. Tomorrow I will go to the university library and work.

21. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    We've discussed several names and found some interesting initial spellings like "ELF, ARF and RAF (if we did that one it would match Grandpa who's RIF so they would be a matching pair, riff raff, but we're not that cruel).

22. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Scotland is definitely close to the top on my list of places to go. My family is of Scottish descent on both sides, I would have liked to take a family trip with my parents but I don't think that will ever happen. :(

Yeah, considering how initials will be is pretty important, I think. With the amount of things you have to initial in life, you don't want to be spelling something embarrassing.

Bri - I definitely think you should take a real vacation! I don't even count things like Celebration. It's a lot of fun, but usually you get no rest and relaxation... and there are way too many people for my liking. So no, I don't think going to London for school counts at all. We've not been on a real vacation in several years and I can definitely tell by my mood and how things affect me. Thankfully I've got a week until we get on a cruise ship! At this point, I don't even care where it goes, I just want to eat all the things! :p

Lady_Misty likes this.
  23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    When my aunt was pregnant, her son (he was like 6) suggested the baby's initials should be KKK since they were discussing a K first name. That got nixed pretty quick. They went with CIK and were very careful with later children's names (though they do have an ARK).

I fell in love with the English Midlands when I was there this summer and would love to see more of it, along with Scotland and Ireland, since a large chunk of my ancestry is Irish. In Canada, I'd also really would love to go to the Red River area and Newfoundland since those are the places are meaningful to either side of my family.

Bahahaha! Mav, you deserve to eat all the things! Yeah, I'm thinking at this point, even if there is a summer school next year, I might also take like 5 days and go to some all inclusive resort in Puerto Vallarta, which is relatively inexpensive to get to from here. Mexico isn't very high on my 'to travel' list, but I'm thinking it might be needed. If there isn't a summer school (and I should know within the next few weeks) I'm considering going somewhere I've always wanted to go, but would also be relaxing, either Tahiti or Fiji.

mavjade and Lady_Misty like this.
  24. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    @GregMcP: The ENT (Ear-Nose-Throat) doctor saw me today and was not happy with my body´s reaction to codeine. Since last Monday I basically turned into a wrack or as Jabba the Hutt would say "bantha poodoo". I am on a strong antibiotica now and have to stay at home until at least Tuesday next week.

We still hope that my husband did not catch my infect. His results are still due. And I hope so much that I did not endanger his upcoming operation.

Anyway, miss the boards, but I cannot concentrate on reading, leave alone watching s.th. or listening to audio books. Actually, I am asleep most of the time.

Lady_Misty and GregMcP like this.
  25. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Rough stuff, especially when you have to worry about someone else and you are feeling so ghastly.