main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Ant-Man (and the Wasp) (Quantumania): Kicking Your Ass, One Inch at a Time

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 18, 2014.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    One of my favorite online movie reviewers cited this character as the biggest problem of this film, in that, the movie just didn't provide enough background.

I heard other complaints that Scott overall character was reduced (no pun intended) from his role and prominence from the original film.

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    What did Janet eat for 30 years?

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    How did she get a face lift in the quantum zone?

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Particles that were simultaneously there and not-there. Try satisfying your hunger on that. ;)

5. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Unfortunately, she didn't have access to a Snickers. :p

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "Trapped in the Quantum Realm" unfortunately will not fit on a Snickers wrapper.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    "Not going anywhere for awhile? Try and don't-try a Snickers!"

8. JFettG

JFettG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    I thoroughly enjoyed the film, but this was so glaringly lazy.

JEDI-RISING likes this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah Janet emerging with "hey! Superpowers, yo!" was a tad wonky, she just became Space Jesus. Well, it seems like something that should be followed up on, if anything just we need more context as to why Janet is doing what she can do and if that plays into the larger MCU. Which I kinda doubt it will but there will (probably) be an Ant-Man 3 that'll expand on it.

I also think Scott was downgraded to basically sidekick and it's mostly Hope and Hank's movie but that isn't exactly a huge problem. The movie is way sub-plotty but it also zips along so whenever a subplot happens it's tied into the larger chase-movie whole as opposed to random cutting away to it.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The focus is shifted a bit but I think it balances out the first movie where Hank and Hope were mostly offscreen or dumping exposition outside of the real action.

11. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    As has already been noted, the timeframe on IW is pretty short; a couple of days, tops. Also, the events of AM&W take place in San Francisco, if memory serves. Hank & Hope are still fugitives, and Scott cannot be seen in contact with them, so cross-country travel would be exceedingly risky for everybody.

The events in Scotland and especially Wakanda were unknown to the world at large. In all the chaos of New York, accounts of Banner being present would be very sketchy, and Parker would be some kid that nobody knows; making him a “faceless statistic” as far as being a missing person. Strange is a bit of a celebrity (there was a line in his movie about appearances on CNN), but in all likelihood the publicly-known story on him is that he is a famous surgeon who became a recluse after ruining his career in a distracted driver accident. Also, I don’t think people really saw him in action against the Black Order. So accounts of him being missing would have them like “And...[face_dunno]” assuming they even know who Dr. Stephen Strange is in the first place.

That leaves Stark, and I’m pretty sure the consensus there was “yeah...**** that guy.” So as far as Hank, Hope, Scott, and Janet were concerned, something showed up in New York, made a small mess, then left; and the only casualty of note was some a-hole they despised? [face_party]

Why risk getting pinched while travelling cross-country to get involved with that?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  12. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    [QUOTE="Jedi Merkurian, post: 55246157, member: 241307"
    Strange is a bit of a celebrity (there was a line in his movie about appearances on CNN), but in all likelihood the publicly-known story on him is that he is a famous surgeon who became a recluse after ruining his career in a distracted driver accident. Also, I don’t think people really saw him in action against the Black Order. So accounts of him being missing would have them like “And...[face_dunno]” assuming they even know who Dr. Stephen Strange is in the first place.

That leaves Stark, and I’m pretty sure the consensus there was “yeah...**** that guy.”
    So as far as Hank, Hope, Scott, and Janet were concerned, something showed up in New York, made a small mess, then left; and the only casualty of note was some a-hole they despised?

[/QUOTE]
    [face_rofl] at the bolded. I like those ideas. =D= (well at least the spoiler tags worked)...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I watched this last night, for the first time. I thought the first Ant-Man was pointless, even as a fan of Paul Rudd. This one was considerably better, in lockstep with the MCU formula of weaker origin films and stronger sequels (Iron Man and GotG being exceptions).

The relationship between Scott and his daughter is fantastic, and I think the casting of Michael Douglas as Hank Pym was again, perfect. Ongoing feud with the cops was actually funny, not just quippy/witty attempts at humor. Ghost was a really weak villain, but oddly, this film didn't feel like it needed a strong adversary - and the redemption at the end was nice. All in all, right in the middle, I'd say.

14. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    The villains of the three MCU movies had agendas that each differed in size and scope:

Killmonger's plan had global implications; Thanos's plan had universal implications; Ghost's goal was more personal.

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

"Never mind, his dust is rising."

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    So yeah…about Quantumania…

The post-credit stinger kinda writes itself: After a hard-fought battle (perhaps with a noble sacrifice by Hank and/or Janet) resulting in the death of Kang, another Kang shows up and is pleased to be rid of a rival Variant [face_skull]

PCCViking, BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  19. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Technically

They won't all be Kang.
    He Who Remains/Immortus from the end of Loki was not Kang, there are many other variants who won't be either

Kang the Conqueror is but one Variant, like Sylvie is a variant of Loki. Nathanial Richards from the 31st Century has many variants across many ages of time, what would make things more interesting would be if we see those and ultimately arrive at Kang who will then be an Avengers villain.

Assuming of course Marvel isn't going to make changes, maybe in the MCU Kang was the original and they're all variants of him

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    new trailer for quantumania has been released:

21. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    YouTube version is up now too:

23. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  24. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Bill Murray is in this? Is it possible for me to be even more sold on this movie than I already was?

TiniTinyTony and Sarge like this.
  25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    it looked like a cross between attack of the clones and honey i shrunk the kids. also "goodbye yellow brick road" is going to be stuck in my head all day but i'm not really mad.