main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How much money Star Wars has made in the Disney era.

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by ohms, Oct 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ohms

ohms Jedi Master

Jul 7, 2002
    Some interesting stats from Kristian Harloff on the Collider Jedi Council this week.
    How much Disney has made from Star Wars (so far):
    The #1 moneymaker... Toys $15billion
    #2 videogames $4.7b
    movies come in at #3 with $4.5b with dvd/blu on $4.3b
    then comes books on a cool $2b

That, is a lot of money. Remember they paid $4.05 billion for Lucasfilm in it's entirety.
    That's not all profit, but I think Disney made their money back from the purchase some time ago.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  2. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Video games $4.7b? That's a lot of loot crates. I find all those numbers hard to believe.

3. ohms

ohms Jedi Master

Jul 7, 2002
    For 2 games it does seem high. Harloff quoted the source as legit. I'd not heard of the guy.
    It might include what EA paid Lucasfilm for the full 10 years of having the SW license. [face_dunno]

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Half of it in Disney shares. And like you said, this is what they made, not profit.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  5. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Considering how much it costs to get Revan in Galaxy of Heroes I suspect the mobile games are a big source of the games income.

Outsourced likes this.
  6. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Pretty much. Lootboxes are absolutely massive moneymakers on mobile platforms.

7. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Well, without having seen the video in question, you also have to take into consideration that EA paid Disney for an exclusive license, which certainly didn't come cheap. So what Disney got out of it was probably their share of what the games made plus the fee EA paid for the license.

ohms likes this.
  8. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Books seem unbelievably high at 2 billion. Articles online say they sell a few million books a year ( 2 million in 2015 it says here. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/a-breakdown-star-wars-merchandise-849861)
    Let's up that to 5million books a year and say they cost an average of $20, so an income of $100 million a year. That is obviously going to take 20 years to reach $2 billion, not 7 years.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    Jesta' and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  9. ohms

ohms Jedi Master

Jul 7, 2002
    Could include licensing deal money too, or include comic book sales. No detail to these figures so...

10. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Star Wars no matter what has made money for Disney. Though, its not the money making profit that I'm into Star Wars for. Granted, its great that the property is making money because lets face it. In a business world, money talks, bs walks. The big thing for me is that I would like to see a better direction for Star Wars. Movies, tv series, animation mapped out over a period of time, along with coverage of all demographics. I understand and get the all canon thing, but we can't bring in kids into star wars if we are just telling stories that have grown up content type stuff in animation. For example, the first season of The Clone Wars was good, because it was light on the exposition, but as the seasons progressed they became more mature oriented than for a 5 year old. We need animation series like Marvel Avengers Assemble or Galaxy of Adventures for kids, that have bright color, action, and minimal explanations that can drive a young kid to say....this is great, instead of the " I find this too boring." IDW obtained the license from Marvel to tell stories for a younger age that I think is pretty good. If Disney wants to continue to make money, they have to diversify content to bring everyone in and this is something that they truly haven't done that Marvel has.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  11. skyabovethesky

skyabovethesky Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2019
    someone's always playing corporation games
    [​IMG]