main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CJ25 Star Wars Celebration (social thread)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Disciple-of-Tython, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    My experience is that if you don't want to get in to the first main panel of the day, or some exclusive, if you are ready to wait 20 minutes, then you can usually just walk right in. It's the first rush, with the people who have queued for hours that is chaotic, and once they are inside it's usually pretty smooth.

2. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    That is very true! and hope there is still room,as in the case of 1st Anaheim Cele, and the clamshell, pretty crowded. As for the volunteer qualifications, at least they put them in writing. but the limiting positions was strange. Does anyone think they know who may be coming(celebrity) who will have people waiting overnight and in extremely long lines as of last Cele.? Orlando was 40 years!(am I that old?) or did people know who was going to be there? I thought the spirit and patience of fans was excellent, but when I saw it with 6-700 people already in line so early, I thought "something is really up", I waited til the next morning and stood by the back "swamps" exciting!

3. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I don't think they know the details for now, I think they are simply planning on the IX panel to be the big overnighter, no matter exactly who's going to be there. I think the 40th anniversary panel was something that was expanded a lot when Carrie passed away. They had probably planned to have something, similar to the first half of the panel with Mark Hamill and the regular con guests followed by Hayden, but when Carries passed I think they realized both that they needed to have something special to commemorate Carrie and that it could possibly be the last big anniversary for many of the many of the involved parties. I of course hope that all of them will be there for the 50th anniversary, but people are getting older. The buzz for the 40th also revolved at Hayden being there, speculation that Ewan McGregor might be there and a feeling that it was going to be a Carrie memorial, and it was important that Kathleen Kennedy had gone out in public to say that you didn't want to miss it. I don't think anyone expected Lucas, Ford and the Williams concert though.

4. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    IX will be big but I don't think anything next year will top the 40th, in terms of content or anticipation.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the IX panel. It's a really important one for Lucasfilm. I don't believe TLJ split people in the real world as much as it appears to have online, but at the same time there's no doubt that it did divide the fan base. What they choose to show and say could set the tone for the rest of the year. I'm thinking they'll try to go as big and crowd pleasing as possible, loosen up on the mystery boxes a bit, maybe even show a brief bit of Luke to try and bridge that divide.

5. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    The pressure is on the trailer. For the most part, the TLJ haters won't be the ones watching the panel.

6. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    The TLJ haters will not be at the IX panel though, the auditorium will be filled with enthusiastic fans. I agree that it's the trailer that will need to convince the haters.

Vizzy91 and star_wars_is_good like this.
  7. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    My favorite characters in TLJ were Carrie and the Porgs, I have gathered many Porg related objects and plan to wear my Porg pins at the con. I also want to attend the 50th Anniv.-that is, if there will be a Cele. around by then. I'm not really into the Disney movies as far as Star Wars is concerned, some of the characters are cute and good, but I would've just left it at Return of the Jedi. but that me, if I can attend the opening panel, I'll do so to see if there is improvement. I'm not a hater of TLJ, just sort of sad at the ending of an era(GL). I'm not ready for a remake of the original series. I will not judge everyone else's decisions

8. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I feel quite the same. I don't like the sequel films, but I think TLJ is much better than TFA, but I don't let that ruin my love for SW. I know a lot of people enjoy the ST and love Rey and Kylo, so I let them go on with their SW fandom and I just go on watching the PT, OT, Solo and R1 and reading the legends (and some new EU). Star Wars is so big now that it's possible to pick and choose what you like and ignore the rest. It also gives me an extra nights good sleep, since I'm not going to be in the overnight queue for the IX panel.

Vizzy91 and ChrisLyne like this.
  9. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Btw it's going around my social media that the artists for the Art Show have been selected, or rather not selected. It seems as if quite a few of the regular artists will not be in the Art Show this time. For me, who love's looking at the art it could be interesting to see if we will get some new styles and presentations this year.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  10. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Thanks @Obi Anne, will be interesting to see who makes the cut. Now that TLJ is out I'm really hoping for a nice Jedi Master Luke portrait or something featuring the ST versions of all the classic heroes (it still amazes me we don't have a behind the scenes pic of the legacy heroes all in costume together from TFA).

11. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    That's interesting about the artists. Seems like they want to shake things up a bit with some new people.

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Either that or some of the older artists might not want to travel a long way due to health issues.

13. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    From what I understood the artists had to send in their idea/sketch of a print and then they were selected based on that. I should also say that the only artists I have personal contact with is Joe Hogan, and he wasn't selected, but people commented on his fb that other artists hadn't been selected either.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  14. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Is Sunday even worth getting tickets for? For me it's between that or not at all.

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    At the London CE's Sunday was the final day and collectors could pick up some bargains from vendors who would rather sell than pack items up.

16. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Sure. Although it depends a little on what you're interested in doing.

17. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    At Orlando, I really dug the panels. And I really want to try a photo op this time too. I kinda regret not meeting Hayden last time (I had the chance to but passed due to it being so expensive).

18. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    There will probably be some big panel or two that day, but way too early to know for sure what it will be. Most of the celebs will be there for autos/photo ops. There's some that only do a day or two, but most should be there Sunday.

Darkslayer likes this.
  19. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    I have contacted Reed concerning the day-storage rooms for the Cele. next year. I must submit this to the highers-up and will do so immedietly. this is for all of our sakes! let's hope they will listen and implement the idea!

20. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    We are getting close to Christmas, any SW stuff around? For the first time I've actually bought a Christmas jumper, and I went for this.

[​IMG]

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I haven't seen anything in Collecting on Christmas items. There are probably the usual Hallmark tree decorations but we don't get them in the UK. I think they are US only. That's not a bad jumper though!

22. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    It's unlicensed from an independent seller on amazon, and I really liked it. I don't like knitted jumpers so I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a Christmas jumper that I wouldn't wear.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  23. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    I've seen a few shirts in local supermarkets, but I'm sticking with last year's shirt from Disney with Chewie tangled up in Christmas lights (and a santa hat, of course ;))

24. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Christmas? In my house, we celebrate Life Day!

he-guy and ChrisLyne like this.
  25. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Just checking in.

Any news or word on Autographs and Photo Ops?