main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Definitely Not Improved Even More Horrible Than The Last Two Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Of course George said complimentary things to RJ. He did think TLJ was beautifully made, so obviously, he thought Rian had done a really good job.
    We still don’t know whether or not he likes the film.

In an episode of The Star Wars Show from two years ago, John Knoll had this to say (about Rogue One): “I got off the phone about a half hour with George Lucas. The story was really emotional and it all looked great. And just couldn’t stop talking about how happy he was.”
    (Copied from a Star Wars News Net article)

Now, George probably thinks that all the movies are very competently made, but that says nothing about his personal feelings for them - and I believe he likes to keep those feelings to himself, because he has nothing to gain by going public with that stuff and might even end up hurting Lucasfilm if he starts praising some of their movies while keeping quiet about others...
    He’s also a private kind of guy who rarely speaks publicly about anything, which is why we have so little to go on.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    cane_danko, Krueger and TadoFett like this.
  2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I’m sorry, I was under the impression that this was the Episode IX Rumors thread, not the What Does Lucas Think of the New Movies thread.

3. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    While I agree that so far VII and VIII don't particularly feel like part of the same overall story as I-VI (hence my original post that eventually led to this conversation), they are inherently not a separate in an official capacity. What I hope is that IX ties it all together so it also feels like the same story from a narrative perspective. I think this is still possible regardless of Lucas's involvement.

4. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I went back a few pages and I find myself liking the idea of weaving some sort of LOTR elements into 9. But I'll be honest not sure re-forging the broken Crystal is one that I would be for right off the bat. However I probably would come to accept it (wouldn't be the worst idea).

With that said, I went a re-read the Interludes of the Aftermath Books, specifically the one in Aftermath: Empire's End. The one particular Interlude was the one about the Church of the Force members who were tasked with returning a crate of Kyber Crystals back to a cave on Christophsis where they were originally harvested from by The Jedi.

Since I get the Gandalf vibe for Luke in Episode 9, I wonder if there could be a way to have a fellowship of Force Users guided by Luke to the Christophsis cave to get those Kyber Crystals? I think it could work.

Who knows, maybe there will be a Journey to book released that could go into it more?

5. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Maybe have Luke get an army of Force Ghost Jedi to aid in the final battle with the the First Order and redeem themselves, just like Return of the King. lol

Jo Lucas likes this.
  6. Kthru12

Kthru12 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 4, 2016
    If done well, that might actually work and help make IX feel like a real final chapter to the saga. They need to do something big to give the movie a sense of finality.

dekaneas and DarkGingerJedi like this.
  7. Jedi Master Scorpio

Oct 24, 2015
    The idea itself isn't bad, but since Luke is possibly a Force Ghost and can travel anywhere, perhaps he knows where real life Jedi still exist and can bring them to the fight? Now that would be awesome. But I could deal with a Force Ghost Army as well.

Darth Caliban and DarkGingerJedi like this.
  8. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I’m starting a rumor that almost nobody uses this thread to talk about rumors.

9. shafty

shafty Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    Do we think we are exactly a year to the day away from release?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  10. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    As far as the rumor about Ren reforging his mask, I'm not sure how I feel. I kind of read into Ren breaking his mask as becoming his own man and taking his own path. Instead of leaving it at that JJ might just throw the mask back on him? Maybe my perception about the scene was wrong. I hope they have a good reason that is somewhat explained in 9 and it's not just to make him look "scary" or to sell more toys. Just my opinion though. I do like the idea of Rey reforging the lightsaber though. It would make no sense for her to keep it if not to repair it. I perceive it as her rebuilding the jedi order and resistance repairing itself after being basically destroyed. If the mask is just JJ saying well I want him to wear a mask then maybe he should of told RJ not to destroy it. Having directors do whatever they want then changing it after kind of hurts the overall story. Either add to what has come before or fix the system the saga is using to tell the story.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  11. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Unpopular opinion: I think Adam Driver overacted in every scene after he takes the mantle of Supreme Leader. Everything before that he was brilliant. I think it's because as Supreme Leader his attitude and line delivery changed because he was trying to seem more angry and wild. It didn't work in my opinion. He's not intimidating whatsoever and he works best doing his calm line delivery.

I think the mask will help him come across as intimidating which needs to happen since he's leading the bad guys now.

Bor Mullet, Storm_Cloud and wobbits like this.
  12. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    People upset about Rey fixing a lightsaber.

People upset about Kylo fixing his helmet.

Just wait until REAL spoilers come in (like the FO fixing Starkiller base)

Gonna be a LONG 12 months.

13. Jedi Master Scorpio

Oct 24, 2015
    I wouldn't say I would be mad if she repaired The Skywalker Lightsaber.

cwustudent likes this.
  14. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    I'd prefer Rey build a "new" lightsaber, utilizing the components of the Skywalker saber.

dekaneas likes this.
  15. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    Despite my preference for Rey to have a new lightsaber of her own, it's not going to upset me or anything if she mends the one she already has. To repair something that's broken would be fairly in-character for her since she started out as a scavenger. We know she has an uncanny ability to save things that seem beyond saving.

16. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    It could have been as simple as, 'well I'm bringing the masked Knights of Ren back in IX, so Kylo needs his frickin' helmet again' and 'I've finally decided to explain Maz's story-for-another-time in IX so it's weird/pointless to leave the Skywalker Lightsaber behind and replace it with a new one'. They could potentially tie it into Leia* since Maz and Leia and the Lightsaber was a deleted part of TFA that could be reused for IX. Under Trevorrow (archive), IX was going to be Leia's movie and probably backstory like VII was for Han and VIII was for Luke, then they got cold feet after the actress's death, and then went back to it after Abrams was hired again.

* Todd Fisher: (paraphrase) “There are big surprises coming – with this movie [Star Wars: Episode IX], and with this performance and with this unused footage [of Carrie Fisher as Leia] – This one is really for the fans.” (August 3, 2018) (archive)
    Todd Fisher: “J.J. [Abrams] really made [Leia in Star Wars: Episode IX] happen [after Kathleen Kennedy decided to write-out Leia from Episode IX after Carrie's death in 2016].” “If I was in anyway an inspiration for the final decision to keep Leia a part of the story, that’s great. I must say at times I felt like a voice crying in the wilderness.” (July 28, 2018)

[​IMG]

Link1130 likes this.
  17. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Not to mention that the scene in the rain that Rey saw in TFA could have been from the future and thus Kylo needs his mask.

18. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    The visions are never 100% to the tee.

For example, her vision of Kylo Ren on Starkiller in the forest, had Kylo wearing the helmet.

Even though later, when he actually does find Rey in Starkiller forest, toward the end of the film, he's NOT wearing his helmet. Unlike her vision.

19. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    That’s probably it. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the final showdown.

11-4D likes this.
  20. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    It probably has to do with toy sales.

21. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    An army of dead ghost-Jedi? Doesn't that just seem really...cheap & fanservice-y? That's the type of thing you'd get in a videogame or fanfic.

Sure we're definitely getting an expansion of the ghost/afterlife concept given Luke last time around, but I can't see him rounding up a bunch of spirits and coming out in force for some LotR epic throwdown.

cwustudent and Jo Lucas like this.
  22. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Ghost army would be ludicrous, for a whole host of reasons.

23. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    It would also be a rip-off of Return of the King.

24. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    That's one of the reasons, definitely.

25. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Please no. That was the worst part of ROTJ (derogatorily referred to by many Tolkien fans as the “Green Scrubbing Bubble Army”) and a total bastardization of how the Army of the Dead is treated in the books. The thought of an Army of Jedi Force Ghosts saving the day makes my whole body itch.

I agree. He was really hamming it up on Crait.

JediAce1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.