main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars OPEN Elite League Limmie

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Trieste, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    IC Ty Allin

How do beings do this for their whole lives? I’ve been playing and coaching Limmie for 35 years. If I could, I’d walk away now. I’d go home tell the family I quit. Oh, damn it, I have kids. If they see me quit, they’ll quit. Why? Why does it even matter? Won’t the credits I’ve earned this far be enough for provide for my kids for the rest of their lives? Well not if they don’t know how to manage those credits. I’ve seen richer athletes than myself lose it all.

Do the losses hurt so much in every profession? Maybe. Does the whole galaxy see you lose, judge your reaction? No. I’m lucky to have this game, I tell myself as I roll over, unable to sleep. I met Lucie, I got away from my father, I’m not in jail. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have those three things without Limmie. The season isn’t over, I remind myself as I roll back to the other direction. Finally, I sit up and turn my data pad on.

If I can’t sleep I may as well start to prepare for next week. I load every game Stewjon has played this year. I begin to watch.

I get home early Tuesday morning. Everyone is asleep. I’m still running on my bad mood. As I walk into the house from the garage I trip over something. Ezra’s gym bag! He’s lucky I don’t break my ankle. I toss it closer to a wall and stride into the kitchen. Two hours before the kids need to get up for school. Not time to make breakfast yet, but I take a quick inventory of what we have and decide what I’m going to make.

Once the eggs are on the frying pan I head upstairs to see if the kids are up. I knock on Ezra’s door first and open it a second later. I should have waited. Ezra is applying lipstick. Not chapstick, this is one of his mother’s lipsticks, I recognize it from her fresher counter. “Dad, it’s not what you think,” he says immediately putting down the stick of make-up.

“I’m sorry,” I say quickly and close the door.

He immediately re-opens the door. “I’m just trying to cover up the scar,” he says forcefully.

That’s when I remember he got stitches less than a week ago. It makes more sense, not complete sense. When I got hurt playing Limmie I wore my scratches and bruises like badges of honor. I never imagined covering them up. “Let me take a look,” I offer.

I turn around and it doesn’t look like he’s got lipstick on. He’s chosen a shade almost identical to his natural color. Something most women couldn’t manage. I have to get real close to see where his lip split. “Impressive,” I say.

“Don’t worry dad. I’m not that kind of gay.”

“It wouldn’t bother me if you were,” I shrug and knock on T.J.’s door. “Up and at ‘em.”

“You’re home!” T.J. still in his boxers runs out in the hallway and hands me his data pad. “Can you sign my slip to play indoor Limmie? Mom thinks I should take a break, but she’s being ridiculous.”

“I’ll talk to your mother and sign it after school,” I say handing his data pad back to him. No way am I signing that thing before I talk to Lucie. That’s a good way to end up on the couch for a week.

Before I knock on Cammie’s door she comes into the hallway with open arms and gives me a hug. “That loss sucked, I know you feel bad,” she says with her arms around my waist.

Instead of lying and telling here that Daddy is okay, I hug back. “It was a tough loss. This hug is helping,” I say squeezing her tighter. She tightens her grip and I realize I’m the luckiest guy on this Galaxy.

After breakfast and dropping off the kids at school, I finally fall asleep. Normally I’d try to stay up and sleep at night. I no longer care about what’s best for me, or even my team. I want to sleep and damn it I decide to sleep. My data pad wakes me up in time for dinner. Well Lucie’s call to see if I still remember we agreed to meet for dinner. “On my way,” I tell her.

I’d completely forgotten and when I get to the café my family is already sipping on their drinks. “Hurry up daddy, read the menu, I’m hungry, I want to order already.” Cammie says in one rambled sentence.

“We eat here every week,” I remind her. “I already know what I want.” Soon the waiter comes we order and dig in.

“Did you talk to mom yet?” T.J. whispers.

“Lucie,” I say out loud. “What’s this about you wanting T.J. to take a season off?”

“I thought we both agreed the kids wouldn’t play Limmie year round,” she says none too happy I brought this up.

“He’ll run track in the spring. Indoor Limmie is flag,” I remind her.

“You really want to play more Limmie?” Lucie asks T.J. “Ezra agreed to swim.”

I look at Ezra in surprise. “Spring league is way better than indoor,” Ezra tells me.

“This isn’t fair,” T.J. says. “It’s my life if I want to play winter and spring I can. I don’t need your permission.” He says looking directly at Lucie.

“Whoa!” I cut in. “Apologize to your mother.”

“For what?”

“For calling her out like that. She’s got your best interest in mind and you know it,” I say wagging my finger at him.

T.J. sits defiantly and quiet.

“Sometimes I get sick of Limmie,” I say and all 4 heads at the table turn to look at me. “It’s true. I coach, I scout, I draft, I run training camp, I cut beings who worked their whole lives for a chance they will never get and then I coach again. Sometimes I wish I could do something different,” I shrug.

“Are you going to quit the Starkillers?” Cammie asks.

“Hell no,” I say. “Retire someday or take a step back. Enjoy a role that doesn’t keep me occupied year round.”

“So, I can’t play indoor Limmie,” T.J. fumes. “This blows.”

“You do what you want to do,” I say to him in the same angry tone he used towards me. “Think it through for one night. You still want to play in the morning, I’ll sign your permission waiver.” I continue in a more mild manner.

He never apologizes to Lucie, which rubs me wrong. I hold it close and when he hands me his data pad for my electronic signature in the morning I ask him. “Did you apologize to your mother?”

He lets out an exasperated sigh. “She’s rehabbing a sore ankle, missing out on what she loves. The least you could do is show her you love her,” I say as I hand him back the data pad.

After seeing that I signed the form he pours himself a bowl of cereal. Maybe all the stress is too much. After dropping the kids off the ringing in my right ear becomes unbearable. I’m conscious enough to pull over. I come to on my own. I’m an hour late for practice. There are nearly two dozen texts and a few voice messages on my data pad. I call Richard. I tell him I got sidetracked and I’m on my way into work.

On Sunday Stewjon is ready to play spoiler. I can sense it. I’ve got Ezra and Cammie on the sidelines with me. Partially because they begged to be here. Partially, to remind me not to do anything too crazy. T.J. invited Alexa and her parents to come sit in Richard’s box. I’m not sure if he apologized to Lucie, but I do know she was excited to finally meet Alexa’s parents. She tried on 5 outfits the night before.

I can tell my squad is nervous. They have a right to be nervous. We lose and this could be the end of our season. We win, we move on. That kind of pressure is what makes it easy for Stewjon to play spoiler. There is no pressure on their side. Either outcome, they go home tonight. Their home lockers, probably already cleaned out. I call everyone around me. “Step out on that turf,” I begin. “Feel the plastic under your cleats. Remember the first time you played on turf? It was the big leagues. It wasn’t that muddy or dusty field behind an old warehouse. It was a real Limmie field with a real audience. You were gonna prove to everyone you belonged on that field. You belong here. Go prove it!”

Tag: None

Trieste likes this.
  2. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Miners press conference after tight win in the Golden Orange Bowl
    • Head coach Jon Draper: “That took everything we had. Absolutely everything--and I could not be prouder of how we won this one”
      • “We had to to play this way to win and we’re going to have to play that way in every game we have left”
      • When asked about his pessimism after last week’s loss, Draper looked confused: “There’s a difference between realistic assessment and pessimism. Last week there were a lot of Sabacc cards that needed to shift the right way for us. We got one. We’re not in yet”
    • Harle Quinn on her game winning score: “I know? Right? Mister J couldn’t believe it!”
      • “Though I gotta say, I’m gonna have some new bruises after that one. Who came up with that defense? It was pretty tough...Ty Allin? Well that explains it! I’m gonna send him my massage bill for tomorrow!”
    • Captain Horst Penn: “We made the playoffs! Woo!”
      • When informed the Miners have not made the playoffs yet: “La la la la la la I’m not listening”
    • Ralltiir native Stephana Adiims: “That’s the kind of game I grew up on Ralltiir wanting to play in”
    • Kyr Irvin: “One game to make the playoffs? That’s all you can ask for when the season starts. Just give us a shot”
      • On that game being against Carratos, who has a 2-to-1 advantage in the series: “Okay, so that’s less than ideal”
    TAG: @galactic-vagabond422 @Runjedirun

Runjedirun likes this.
  3. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Kerry Trieste speaks with media after leaving annual meeting with GCAA
    • “We discussed a wide variety of sports, as we do every year. Despite the fact they don’t rise to similar prominence, the GCAA sponsors many sports. The media would do well to cover some of them from time-to-time and feature those athletes”
      • When asked if her opinion had anything to do with the fact the Bak10 is strong in all these sports across the board: “What? Me? An agenda? What makes you think I have one?”
    • On the subject of limmie: “I brought some suggestions for further refinement of the college playoff system”
      • “We discussed the prospect of a non-conference champion being ranked higher than the conference champion. I’ll allow that the GCAA has a good argument that sometimes a conference champion shouldn’t be ranked as the highest team in the conference. After all, you could see an undefeated team lose a championship game to a team with three losses that still won their division. That’s limmie”
      • “However, I have to stick to my blasters that a conference championship game should have meaning. That champion should get more than a trophy. I’ve asked the GCAA to consider that conference champions get automatic bids to the playoff. Sure, they can be the last team in and edge out a bubble team, but that seems more fair than that conference championship not making the playoff”
        • When asked if this is feasible in a 16 team playoff: “That’s an issue we discussed. It may not be”
        • When asked if that means that the GCAA could consider a 32 team playoff: “I wasn’t party to any such conversation. But doubling the playoff isn’t the only solution. There’s play-in games, which are essentially byes for other teams. There are options”
      • On whether she expects any changes for 293: “There isn’t a general meeting of the GCAA scheduled right now that would be empowered to make such modifications to the playoff. Of course, that could change”
    TAG: @Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik, Runjedirun and jcgoble3 like this.
  4. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Iris "Scarface" Copin
    Iris's Apartment, O'Pahz, Carratos

Iris, was not in a good mood. After a nail biter of a game against the Mets, the Pats came in and crushed them. 5 points, that was all they were able to score while the Pats ran roughshod over the defense. When Iris got put in, it felt like there was nothing she could do to turn it around. Not that it stopped her from trying, from running herself ragged. Now, this morning she was paying for it. Her legs were stiff, her muscles sore, her head hurt. This was not a day for surprises, this was a day for recovery and getting ready for the game next week the last one of the season.

They were in the playoffs, even in the running for the Commissioner's Trophy, all of it borne on the back of the Veteran and the Rookie. Leigh playing her best, when she could and Iris picking up the slack. Could they pull off another cup run, maybe. Iris knew she was going to be doing everything she could to get them there, to let Leigh leave the sport at the top. It was the proper way to end things. Iris would have given everything she had to give her idol the send off she deserved. Now though Iris couldn't look at her the same. Not after that night.

Everyone could see that the relationship had been strained Iris wasn't hanging off Leigh's arm waiting on her every word. Wasn't the only relationship that had been broken, changed by this year. It was all feeling very lonely when she thought about it. Her father, her sister, her hero, all of them had turned against her, hurt her. She was putting on as brave a face as she could. Telling herself that she didn't need them, that she could do all of this without them, that she could carry on just fine.

It was all a lie, the pain still wrapped itself around her weighing on her like a heavy coat. At times like this she turned to her one connection that she held on to, Peggles.

"Hey," his familiar voice answered.

"Hey," she replied "Got some time to talk?"

"Um…" he paused a little she could tell in his tone that he maybe didn't have time. "Sure." The smile grew on her face, he made always made time for her. Again she was being selfish, dropping in on him without warning, asking him to drop what he was doing for her.

"Your morning going alright?" She started trying to be a good friend.

"It's afternoon actually but, it's been going alright. Been studying for a test I have coming up."

"Oh…" Her guilt started to rise up inside her, "sorry for bothering you."

"It's fine, I needed to take a break anyway. Saw the game last night. Looked rough."

"Yeah...I just couldn't get anything going. The defense was too much and no one was open."

"Um hm...You took a few hits you doing alright?"

There was a slight groan from Iris recalling one hit she thought she could break through. She stepped to the right lowered her shoulder just like she'd done many times before. This time it didn't work the defender was ready for it swinging around sweeping her off her feet and slamming her into the pitch. Her head rung, her shoulder pained her.

"I'm fine just getting some rest today, recovering."

"Glad to hear that, how's your head...I mean how do you feel, I know losses can get at you."

"I'm getting over it...other things haven't help." She muttered to the side curling up on her bed.

"What other things?"

A long breath left Iris, she didn't want to relive that night, the day she found out her idol had feet of clay. However she owed it to Peggles, and it would be nice to tell someone about this. With another breath she told the story. Going back for her comlink seeing Leigh rising painfully from the ground. The anger and pain hurled at her, the words that buried themselves deep in her chest and refused to leave.

It hurt, like reopening a wound or, tearing off a bata patch. She felt tears coming to her eyes just retelling the story. All Peggles did was sit and listen letting her pour these thoughts out to him.

She finished her story breath short, eyes a little watery. Only silence greeted her on the other end of the call. This quiet held until she couldn't take anymore.

"You still there, Peggles?"

"Yeah...Yeah, sorry." He apologized, "I'm just trying to process. That's that's a lot to take in. You looked up to her, for her to lash out like that. I can't imagine how that would feel. I can tell it's eating you up inside. Have you talked to her about this?"

"No...not after that, she hates me, thinks I'm here to replace her."

"Well, I mean on some level aren't you. She's retiring, the team needs someone to step up and take her place. Isn't that supposed to be you?"

"I'm not a replacement for her, I'm not some new model. I'm never going to replace her, not ever. She is their legend, the first solo Hall of Famer from the Pirates no doubt. I can ever take that away from her. I...I strive to be like her but, I know I will never take her place."

"How is she supposed to know this if you don't tell her?" Peggles replies voice calm and full of care trying to repair what had been broken.

"I...I want to tell her this but, every time I try the words die on my lips. I keep seeing her face scowling at me, her words ringing in my ears."

"Well, I guess just take your time, work up your courage." there was another pregnant pause in his words. "But, don't take too long...the season ends soon."

Another pain in her chest time was running out did she really want to end this time, this dream as a nightmare. Leaving the last image of her hero as one of rage and anger thrown at her like venom.

"Sorry...I didn't mean it like that."

"No...It's fine I...I guess I wasn't thinking of it like that."

"Look, you're going to the playoffs, you've got plenty of time, just find some time and talk to her." She let out a short breath about to answer when a knock came from her front door.

"Hey Peggles, would it be alright if I call you back...Someone's at my door."

"Yeah, I should get back to studying anyway."

"Ok, I'll give you a call back if I can."

The knock sounded again.

"You should get that." Peggles said before hanging up.

Iris made her way to the door wondering who could be calling on her? Salesbeings, one of her teammates? She didn't know who would be dropping by unannounced. The limmie player pondered this up until she looked through the sensor showing the being on the other side. A human woman, exactly Iris's age, with longer brown hair, the exact same brown eyes and the same facial features...other than the scar under the right eye. It was not a face Iris expected to see, nor did she want to see it.

"What do you want sis?"

"Can we talk?" Ira asked in return.

Iris was quiet staring blasters into the sensor screen the anger of their last moments rising up inside her chest.

"What is there to talk about?" she huffed out.

"Can I come in at least. Hard to talk through a door."

"How are you here anyway?" Iris asked, not really caring about the answer, just prolonging having to let her sister in.

"School's on break, I caught a flight out here." Another long breath, "Now can you please let me in." Again Iris hesitated, the anger inside her driving her to pettiness. Letting out a sigh Ira reached into a pack she'd been carrying and pulled out two items, two identical stuffed ewoks. "I found this," she started holding up Iris's Wicket, "under my bed after you left. I've been trying to get it back to you but, you won't pick up when I call." Iris looked away for a moment, a little bit of guilt rising up in her seeing that she was being petty to her own detriment. "Look I know why you are angry at me but, I was worried about you. I'm not a therapist, I wanted to help and I didn't know how. I was just trying to help."

Part of Iris wanted to keep being a jerk, to punish her sister. But, through the screen she could see her sister's face. There was no anger, no condescension, just worry. It was a reminder that they used to look out for each other and help each other.

"Alright," Ira said ending the silence, "I'm just going…"

She didn't get to finish that sentence. The door opened just as she bent down to set the toy on the floor.

"Come on in." Iris turned away giving her twin some space to enter, she also missed the slight smile on Ira's face. "How did you know I wasn't at work."

"You're not the only one that can lean on dad's name. I called up the front office and asked. When they said you weren't in I asked for your address and they gave it to me."

"I'm going to need to talk with the front office."

"Don't be so hard on them, I might have pushed them rather hard."

"Well I can take solace in that fact." Iris said sarcasm dripping from her words.

A slight chuckle came from Ira's mouth.

Ira entered her sister's apartment and sat down on the couch.

"Make yourself at home." Iris replied the sarcasm not leaving her voice. Another easy smile bloomed on Ira's face. Her twin deserved a little teasing, after the cold shoulder treatment.

"So how has the season been going?" Ira asked kicking off her shoes and putting her feet up.

"You don't know?"

"I've been busy, took a lot of classes this semester want to finish up my degree quickly."

"It goes alright." Iris spoke coming to sit down on the only furniture she had, the sofa that her sister was lounging on. Ira pulled in her legs letting her sister sit. "Coming off a big loss, took a few hits, wore myself out more than anything." As if to punctuate her words she groaned rolling her shoulders.

"You going to make it to the playoffs?"

"Yeah, looks like though it's going to be an uphill climb."

"When is it easy?" Iris rolled her eyes. Ira padded around the floor looking for something.

"Looking for something?"

"Your remote, want to see if there's anything on holo."

"It's over there." Iris pointed towards the end of the sofa, "I only use Net streaming, too expensive for a Holo package."

"You're making millions of credits and you're going to quibble over a hundred?"

"I can't stand the commercials anyway."

Ira pulled up the remote and turned on the projector. It seemed she knew what she was looking for. She tossed Iris's wicket over to her sister.

"We're not going to watch that are we? It hasn't aged well."

Ira said nothing just hitting play on Wicket: the Brave Ewok. A kid's holo that Iris and Ira loved when they were younger. Iris was right, it hadn't aged well, it might still work as a kid's holo but, now it was just cheesy. Ira giggled as Wicket got wrapped up in his bola. Seeing that Iris let a small smile curl her lips.

They finish that holo, then move on to another, and another. The hours slipped away, they didn't talk much. School was going well if a little hectic for Ira. Iris shared the encounter with Leigh. They sat just watching this and that, until they became tired. Ira planned to leave the next day sometime so she'd spend the night. Iris would have been resistant at first but, just being able to sit and be with her sister it had repaired the relationship.

She offered her sofa to her sister, and went to bed, clutching the now returned ewok.

The next morning Iris went with Ira to the spaceport, seeing her off, a weight lifted from her heart.

The sisters had become reconciled.

TAG: No One

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    Runjedirun, Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  5. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

"Hi I'm Ken Kitterich with your five by five sports update brought to you by Merr-Sonn, Fill you enemies with primal fear, fill their lungs with fire, Merr-Sonn."

"Limmie Lunacy is finally under way so let's see how the top 16 fared in the first round of the tourney!"

"Yeah let's do it!"

"Love this time of year!"

"It even coincides with the real NCAA bowl season this year folks."

"Starting at the top in the Mining Guild Bowl, where number one overall Royal College of Hapes took down #16 Lorrd 25 to 21..."

"I wouldn't pick against Hapes this year."

"No comment."

"Meanwhile number two The Ord Sabaok University came away with a 20 to 14 victory over #15 Yah'dhul A&M in the Sienar Bowl..."

"Never in doubt man, never in doubt!"

"The Skimmer Ade Bowl saw number three Norand University, Carratos survive 20 to 19 against #14 University of Denon, Eastlake..."

"That was a hard fought game, hats off to those kids from Denon for making it a great one."

"While the Dos Iziz Bowlsaw out first upset as #13 Celwis System University beat #4 Ryloth Ag and Tech University 19 to 18..."

"Now that was the great game this week."

"Here in the Beskar Bowl, presented by MandalMotors, last season's champion the #12 Druckenwell Technical University lost their own 19 to 18 game to #5 University of Kashyyyk"

"Always love watching the kids play on that big field at Meshla Vhetin for the Beskar Bowl..."

"Presented by MandalMotors, can't forget the sponsors."

"#11 Tiarest rode the home town crowd in the Carnation Bowl to a 27 to 16 win over #5 University of Zeltros..."

"They looked pretty dominant there."

"Home town cooking, let's see how they play next week."

"UTA was partying hard at the Party Bowl as #7 University of Tatooine, Anchorhead beat #10 University of Bison 24 to 18."

"UTA, that's another sleeper that could bust some brackets."

"And in the Sweetner Bowl, #9 CorTech fell to #8 University of Csilla 18 to 16..."

"Kind of a down year for the S16..."

"Hey the StarBucks are still in it!"

"Of course limmie lunacy wasn't the only news to come out of the world of college limmie this week as it was announced that the Rim 10 has decided to jump in on the expansion band wagon. Next season will see them add two more schools, Devaron and Consortium Technical School, bringing their conference to a total of 12..."

"The Rim 12..."

"Doesn't sound quite right..."

"The Rim 10 Conference chairbeing noted that even with the expansion the conference would retain the name Rim 10 for brand recognition..."

"So the Rim 10 will have 12 schools?"

"That's so dumb."

"Looking at you BIG10 and and BIG12."

"... which will be divided into two divisions to be called the Innes and Outies..."

"Seriously?"

"My God Bardan, that's worse than Leaders and Legends."

"I know right?"

"Oh I get it, inner and outer rims, but also like belly buttons."

"...and will host their own Conference Championship game between the winners of those divisions at season's end."

"Expansion for everyone!"

"I'm Ken Kitterich and this has been your five by five sports update. I'll be back with you next hour at five after the hour but until then more of the Rancor Pitt, right here on the Fandalorian!"

TAG: no one/everyone

Limmie Lunacy Elite Eight

Nylonite Bowl: #1 Royal College of Hapes vs. #8 University of Csilla

Jogan Bowl: #13 Celwis System University vs. #5 University of Kashyyyk

Republic Bowl: #2 The Ord Sabaok University vs. #7 University of Tatooine, Anchorhead

Papa Palpatine Bowl: #3 Norand University, Carratos vs. #11 Tiarest University

Trieste, jcgoble3 and Runjedirun like this.
  6. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    IC: Dirxx Horstse

With a playoff berth in hand, most teams would have packed things in and rested up for the postseason. It was a solid strategy, one that usually paid off with a fresher team ready for the rigors of extra games to be played and extra hits to absorb.

But it wasn't what Dirxx wished for his team to do.

The road that had begun with a resounding thud after the trade of Leia Adama to the rival Miners in the 292 offseason with two pathetic offensive showings had wound its way through five wins, an injury to the best offensive player on the roster, and a long road trip that has tested the mettle of the young Senators team about to take on their Core War rivals in Rydonni Prime for the right to have a postseason bye in the Conference Semifinals round. A loss still punched their ticket to the postseason, but the Besalisk knew his players wanted more. They had shown moxie and toughness during the season to get to this point - throttling it back was likely not in their minds.

But a loss wouldn't wash away what they had accomplished. Many had crucified him for the Adama trade, chastised his apparent lack of foresight by trading a star player away to a rival whom had dominated the rivalry series in recent years. They said that the Senators were taking the wrong approach, and that he was mad for trying it. Yet the player it had netted in the Draft had come through with a good showing during the season, and while the Senator offense still scuffled, the defense had come through to lead the team. A new captain had energized the young players around her to lead them onwards, something that the team desperately needed going forward. A loss would hurt, but it would not kill everything that the inexperienced team had accomplished. A playoff berth was theirs no matter the score on the field against the Monarchs - it was set in stone.

As the GM readied himself to watch the game on the sidelines as had become custom in recent weeks, he could see the energy on the player's faces and the exuberance of the fans in the stands. He had no pretense believing that his team could win the Galactic Cup as currently constructed. They were simply not ready for the big time just yet, not a favorite to make a postseason push. But his team had shown grit and toughness, and they had made the playoffs. With a young roster and not much going for them coming into the year, to get this far proved that they had played hard and made the right plays at the right time.

No matter what happened on the field, the Besalisk knew that his team had pieces to build around for years to come. If they fell apart in this game, it would sting, but hopefully greater things were to come in the future.

TAG: @SWNerd11

NOTE: Sorry for the short post. I had a much more involved story piece that I might write up later to cover my Life Day story, but didn't get a chance to write it up.

Trieste and Runjedirun like this.
  7. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    OOC: I’m (hopefully) going to finally be able to contribute to the game regularly thanks to setting a more structured schedule for myself beginning with spring semester. This post is meant to reflect on the season and set into motion a new storyline, one that I will hopefully be able to keep up on with weekly posts.

IC: Tendra Nalo
    Time: Morning before season finale against Chandrila

Tendra finished stretching and made her way to the front of the runners assembled at the starting line. The pistol sounded, and off she went. Always a dedicated runner, she had decided to sign up for a local 5K race for the first time. Although she knew she could easily win the female division, and maybe even beat the males, if she ran hard, she was treating it as a normal training run. Even at the easy pace, she settled into a position near the front as she reflected on the season.

The Officers were just 3-5 on the season, and with one game to go, eliminated from the playoffs. Fans were becoming vocal on social media about Leota Avoy’s stubbornness in keeping the same starting fifteen for five seasons straight. Sure, they had won a Galactic Cup two years ago, but fans believed that many of them no longer had what it took and that younger players should be given a shot. Those fans, who were beginning to call for Leota’s firing, pointed out that 13 of the 15 starters were at least 32 years old, nearly a senior citizen in professional athlete terms. Tendra hadn’t analyzed other teams’ rosters (well, she had, but not in that regard), but she’d be willing to bet 50,000 credits even money that the Officers had the oldest starting lineup in the league.

Tendra herself was 33 years old, and feeling every bit of it. She had lost a step or two over the past couple of years, but in particular, she had been prone to concussions for most of her professional career. It had all started with the locker room brawl in her rookie season, where in her attempt to escape, a chair had hit her in the head and put her in a coma for four days. Ever since, she occasionally got intense headaches that disabled her for a few minutes. She considered herself extremely lucky that she had never been hit by one while on the field in a game, though on one occasion she had gotten one at halftime.

She also had had several more concussions over her career, the most recent two weeks ago near the end of the Ralltiir game. On a simple, ordinary tackle, her head hit the turf and trainers pulled her from the game. She went through the league’s concussion protocol once again and missed the Smugglers game last week as a result, but had been fully cleared four days ago.

As she powered up a hill, passing several other runners who struggled with it, she considered the future long-term effects of those concussion for about the thirtieth time. CTE was a real concern with that many concussions. Was making millions of credits playing a game really worth the risk of CTE? A couple of years ago, her mother, Jaria, had asked her to quit for that reason, but Tendra, riding high from winning the Galactic Cup, refused to listen. However, after the most recent concussion, and in light of the overall problems with the Officers, who appeared unlikely to contend for another Cup anytime soon, she was giving it more serious thought.

Tendra passed the four-kilometer mark as a lady with a stopwatch called out her time as 13:47. She did some mental math and determined that she was on pace for a final time of around 17:00 to 17:30, and decided to beat 17 minutes. Picking up the pace, she passed a teenage girl that looked like a high school cross country runner and two men, one human and one Twi’lek. The cross country runner took it as a challenge and picked up the pace herself, moving into Tendra’s slipstream. Tendra took notice of this, but allowed it as she slowly accelerated, enjoying the competition. However, she couldn’t shake the human girl.

Rounding a corner, the finish line appeared ahead, with the victory tape being held across it as the male winner crossed. Tendra realized that despite her easy pace early on, there were only males between her and the finish line, and now understood why the high school athlete behind her was giving it everything to beat her: it was the battle for first place. Not wanting to get shown up, Tendra accelerated to a full sprint in the home stretch, and the girl matched her step for step. Forty meters from the line, the girl moved to the side and turned on the afterburners, pulling a step ahead. Tendra tried to turn on the afterburners herself, but it only resulted in breathing hard. They crossed the finish line side by side, but the cross country runner was a step ahead and took the win.

After slowing down and catching her breath, she congratulated the girl, who was of course giddy with excitement over beating a professional athlete. “Wow, I wasn’t even going hard for most of the race! I can’t believe I did that!” she said.

Tendra chuckled. “Yeah, neither was I, so we’re on equal ground there. Still, that was a thrilling finish, I’d say.”

“Oh yeah! What’s your PR? Mine on pavement is 14:42. Oh, by the way, my name’s Siri.”

At the pavement remark, Tendra confirmed her suspicion that Siri was a cross country runner. “Well, this race is my personal record by default because I’ve never run a timed 5K before. I’ll have to run one all out to to set a proper PR. You’re really close to the galactic record, though; running by itself isn’t my primary sport, and I’m getting older, so I’d guess I can’t beat that.”

“Will you sign my bib?”

Tendra had come into this not intending to accept autograph requests, but the finish had been so close and exciting that she couldn’t turn this one down. She borrowed a marker and signed the girl’s bib, writing, “To Siri: You beat me by one step. I want a rematch next year.” She added a smiley face.

The girl looked down at it and grinned. “You’re on! Thanks!” She ran off to brag to her parents.

Tendra sat down in the shade as the day was getting hot. She realized that she may have pushed herself too far; she still had a limmie practice this afternoon, and it was a hot day. Leota had decided to hold today’s practice in the hottest part of the day since tomorrow’s game would be in similar conditions. Tendra drained a bottle of Skimmerade; while the Officers provided Gundarkade, as did most teams in the Elite League, Tendra preferred the Vigos’ creation when she could get it.

Her mind drifted back to the thoughts she had before her brain switched to competitive mode. Concussion issues aside, she wondered if she still had another season or two left in the tank in the first place. Getting outrun by a high schooler raised that question. She needed to make a decision soon; if Aebatt Zargana was going to find the next star for the Officers, she needed as much notice as possible.

The call went up to gather for awards, and Tendra watched Siri claim the gold medal, before she took the silver medal for herself. As she put the medal around her neck, she looked over at the gold medal, and suddenly a decision was made. She would announce it tomorrow evening, after the game.

TAG: @Vehn (brief mention of Week 8 game) @Runjedirun (brief mention of Week 7 game and reference to Vigos and Skimmerade)

8. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

Bonus potential to a host of teams for the final week of the regular season: Bakura, Carratos, Coruscant, Euceron, Mando'ade, Nar Shaddaa and Ralltiir. Time to resolve the craziness!

292 Week 9 Results
    Chandrila Patriots at Euceron Officers (2-36)
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Coruscant Senators (0-15)
    Carratos Pirates at Bakura Miners (10-11)
    Mando'ade Mercs at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers (33-8)
    Stewjon Metropolitans at Ralltiir Starkillers (20-24)

Final Standings

Skywalker Conference
    1. Mando'ade Mercs [ Bardan_Jusik, Randy "the rancor"/Justin Pitt (sportscasters)] (6-3, conf. 3-1)
    2. Carratos Pirates [ galactic-vagabond422 Iris Copin (player)] (5-4, conf. 2-2)
    3. Nar Shaddaa Smugglers [ @Vehn, Liberty Ann Karr (mayor)] (4-5, conf. 2-2)
    4. Euceron Officers [ jcgoble3, Tendra Nalo (player)] (4-5, conf. 2-2)
    5. Chandrila Patriots (4-5, conf. 1-3)
    Solo Conference
    1. Coruscant Senators [ Jedi Gunny, Dirxx Horste (general manager)] (6-3, conf. 2-2)
    2. Rydonni Prime Monarchs [ @SWNerd11, Dawn Solo (general manager)] (4-5, conf. 3-1)
    3. Ralltiir Starkillers [ Runjedirun, Ty Allin (head coach)] (5-4, conf. 2-2)
    4. Bakura Miners [ Trieste, Alana Kirt (limmie mom)] (5-4, conf. 1-3)
    5. Stewjon Metropolitans (2-7, conf. 2-2)

HSN Headlines
    • Coruscant Senators win Commissioner's Trophy on strength of head-to-head win against Mando'ade
    • Given historic disinterest in the ELL draft by the Stewjon Mets and Chandrila Patriots, Euceron Officers on track for first overall playoff selection
    • Bakura Miners have already registered for 293 ELL Draft and stand to receive second overall pick despite finishing season with a winning record
    Galactic Cup Playoffs

Conference Semifinals
    (3) Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at (2) Carratos Pirates
    (3) Ralltiir Starkillers at (2) Rydonni Prime Monarchs

Conference Finals
    ??? at (1) Mando'ade Mercs
    ??? at (1) Coruscant Senators

TAG: @Bardan_Jusik @galactic-vagabond422 @jcgoble3 @Jedi Gunny @Runjedirun @SWNerd11 @Vehn

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Vehn likes this.
  9. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

Bonus Potential for Atzerri (28), Tatooine (28) Concordia (28) Druckenwell (28) and Thyferra (28)

LFL Week Eight Results
    Atzerri Bandits @ Concorida Crusaders (6-1)
    Tatooine Sandskimmers @ Druckenwell Marksmen (3-16)
    Cantonica Golden Knights @ Thyferra Force (0-5)

Final Standings
    1 Druckenwell Marksmen (7-1)
    2 Thyferra Force (6-2)
    3 Tatooine Sandskimmers (5-3)
    4 Concordia Crusaders (2-6)
    6 Cantonica Golden Knights (2-6)
    5 Atzerri Bandits (2-6)

LFL Play – Offs
    Atzerri Bandits(6) @ (3)Tatooine Sandskimmers
    Cantonica Golden Knights(5) @ (4)Concordia Crusaders

LFL Semifinals
    ? @ (2) Thyferra Force
    ? @ (1) Druckenwell Marksmen

Tags: @Vehn @Jedi Gunny @Bardan_Jusik @SWNerd11 @galactic-vagabond422

Vehn likes this.
  10. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• ELL admits error in tabulating final season standings in Solo Conference
    • Order of finish is actually:
    1. Coruscant Senators
    2. Ralltiir Starkillers
    3. Bakura Miners
    4. Rydonni Prime Monarchs
    5. Stewjon Metropolitans
    • Starkillers will host Miners for Solo Conference Semifinal
    • When asked about the error, Commissioner Lokensgaard said, "What do you mean they were wrong? The standings aren't supposed to be wrong. Who did the standings?"
      • "WIGASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    TAG: @Runjedirun @SWNerd11 with apologies for false alarms to the latter

Bardan_Jusik and jcgoble3 like this.
  11. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    IC Ty Allin

Oh, to be young again. My heart cannot take this. The game opens with a quick drive and an equally quick goal for Cray, a three point lead. Followed by a bar point by Flylow increasing our lead to four. The lead doesn’t hold, our defense falters and the Mets score a goal. Followed by a completely unfair call by the lead ref. It’s obvious Plaza tripped over his own feet, but Lofycam takes the blame for his stumble. Easy drive for the Mets resulting in a tie game. Followed by another all too easy drive , now we have a three 3 point deficit. Dirty hit by Hagen, completely unnecessary loss of possession, 4 point deficit, TIME OUT.

After the time out I am more nervous than ever. I can feel my hair turning grey. Luckily, Cray scores another goal, one point deficit. Spectacular defensive play by Wiskey, equally spectacular goal by Sancheese, one final bar point by Vigo before halftime. My turn again, I come up with a quick pep talk in the locker room and follow my team back out on the field. Not such a great start to the second half. The Mets score almost immediately resulting in a tie game. You can tell Vigo is not going to lose this game if he can help it. He drives the ball up the field himself and quickly puts the ball over the upright for a 1 point lead.

It seems the Mets aren’t giving up either they score a goal and we are back in the hole with a 2 point deficit. This time Lawco passes to Flylow who scores us a goal for a one point lead. The turnover is swift, Vigo runs by me so fast all I see is a blur, this time he scores a goal giving us a 4 point lead. Terrible defensive possession, our lead is cut to two, our lead is back up to three when Lawco finds an open Kap. Suddenly it’s a tie game again!

Kap comes through with another goal giving us our 3 point lead back and finally a 4 point win when Flylow seals the deal with a bar as the final seconds tick off the clock. I’m almost too exhausted to throw my arms up in victory. I hear my kids orchestrating the celebratory Skimmer Ade shower. When it comes I feign surprise, my smile is genuine. I find one final burst of energy to run out to midfield and shake hands with the head coach of the Mets.

Now is not the time for me to rest. Now is the time for me to cram. Except it’s New Year’s Eve and I want to be with my family. Besides we played the Miners two weeks ago. My memory isn’t that bad, I’ll pick up midweek. I’ll find a way.

New Year’s Eve. The kids are off from school. Ezra needs a ride before sunrise to the pool for swim practice. On New Year’s Eve? Is his coach crazy? No one on the roads, but us crazy swim parents. When we get home the rest of the family is still asleep. To lure them out of bed I cook up some breakfast. The smell of sausage and caf gets my crew up. I announce my plans to take us all to an old marble mining cave that long ago was cleaned out of all it’s marble. Now it’s been renovated into a museum. “Boring,” T.J. complains.

“Educational,” I sing back.

“That’s even worse,” he fumes.

“Spending time with your family,” I remind him.

“I live with this family,” he reminds me.

“You’ve been planning all fall to leave us for Corellia in 2 years. I gotta get in every second I can with you now,” I remind him.

“Ugh.”

Ezra is so busy eating I don’t even know if he hears my plans. “Do we have to write a report?” Cammie asks.

“What?”

“Last year when we went to Hapes we had to go to all these museums and mom made us write a report.”

“No, you are free to forget or remember all the lessons. The view down in the mine is supposed to be incredible and it’s 20 degrees colder down there than on the surface so bring a jacket,” I tell her.

Lucie puts her brace on her ankle just to be safe since we are supposed to walk a lot and we pile into the speeder. “When are we getting home?” T.J. wants to know.

“When we get home,” I answer.

“Dad, I need to tell Alexa when we can meet up later.”

“Today is just family. You can hang out with Alexa another day,” I say bracing for retaliation.

“One day Alexa might be my family,” Lucie’s eyes nearly bug out of her head as she sits up in the passenger seat next to me.

“On that day you can spend New Year’s Eve with Alexa,” I inform him.

“How far is this place?” Cammie asks.

“Hours flight,” I say as we pull onto the interstate. In the rearview mirror, I notice Ezra is passed out. Early swim practice wore him out.

Taking my family on day trips is not like I remember. Late in the day Lucie and I have to sit on a bench while the kids continue to explore. I massage her ankle and wish my legs were what they used to be. For dinner I drive out to the shore for seafood. “Why are we going so far for dinner?” Everyone asks.

“You’ll see,” I reply.

Everyone loves the seafood dinner, but that’s not why I flew out here. It’s New Year’s Eve. I park in a deserted lot used for swimmers during the season. “What are you up to?” Lucie asks.

“You’ll see,” I say again. I get out of the speeder, pop the trunk and pull my treasures out from under a blanket.

Ezra and Cammie look over the back seat. “Fireworks!” Cammie exclaims.

“Our own private show,” I confirm.

Lucie gets out of the passenger seat and comes to check it out. “Those are illegal. Where did you get those?”

“Corellia,” I shrug.

“How did customs not search your suitcase?”

“Miles took them to Tatooine and I had Tomas bring them here on his ship,” I explain. “Lucie, just relax. I’ll shoot ‘em off we go home, okay?”

“If you get jail time I’m free to marry someone else,” she teases. At least I think she’s teasing. I pull out the fireworks and carry them down to the shore line. 3 kids and a reluctant wife behind me. Once they are set up I instruct them all to wait back by the speeder. What’s worse than a little jail time? Blowing off a finger or putting my family in danger. I light the first fuse and run several yards down the beach. The sky lights up a beautiful blue.

I repeat this several times, shooting off one at a time until out of nowhere Ezra hollers “Dad, law enforcement!”

I start to run down the beach. I don’t look for any cops, I don’t think that maybe I should try to say I didn’t know they were illegal on this planet. I just run. I run for about 20 minutes. Finally, I turn and notice no one behind me. Slowly I start to walk back. I hear a horn and freak out. I remember if it was law enforcement they’d have sirens so I look up at the road and there’s Lucie driving the speeder. “Get in!” She demands.

I jog up the beach to the road and hop in. “Did I lose them?”

“No!” Lucie barks.

T.J. is laughing in the back seat.

“What?” I ask.

“Ezra pranked you,” and then there’s three children laughing in the back.

“So, there were never any cops?” I ask. I’m getting old. How did I let him trick me? “We better go back and clean up,” I tell Lucie.

Lucie isn’t mad, but she’s not happy either. She turns the speeder around. Daringly I set off all of the remaining fireworks at my site when we return. The display is impressive. Even Lucie cracks a smile. We all clean up as much of the evidence as possible and fly home. Maybe our family trips are just as fun as I remember.

The next morning, I have a large cup of fizz with me at practice. It’s been a while since I had stayed out so late before an early morning practice. My sluggishness again, reminds me of my age. First, I compare notes with Olidiipo. I’ve been trying to include him as much as possible while his leg is healing. He tells me he has to miss our afternoon session because he has a doctor appointment. “I’m going with you,” I say without hesitation.

An Ithorian physician meets us on the third floor of the med center. They take several x-rays with the cast on. The doctor smiles and returns with a small device that looks like a pizza cutter. “Time to get that cast off,” he says.

I hold Olidiipo’s hand and watch as he bends his knee for the first time in over a month. He doesn’t just walk out of the med center. He limps out on crutches. With a whole calendar of dates for physical therapy. It’s a good day for both of us. Next season he’ll be leading our offense again. Until then he’ll continue to help me with the coaching.

When I get home, everything is quiet. Too quiet. T.J. is at the table, eating as usual. “Where’s your brother?” I ask.

“Upstairs in his room,” T.J. says between bites. “He met some new friend at swim team. They must be working on schoolwork or something,” he tells me.

“Girl friend or boy friend?” I ask curiously.

“He’s a guy,” T.J. informs me.

I run upstairs and check his door. Closed. Not for long. I don’t even think to knock. I swing it open to find two boys not even sitting that close. They have data pads in hand and I realize I didn’t need to be so suspicious. “Dad,” Ezra says with exasperation.

“Sorry,” I say. “Just keep the door open when you have guests.”

He gives me a totally unnecessary evil eye. Looking at him reminds me there’s another family member I’ve been neglecting. My cousin. Miles has been busting his ass on Tatooine hoping I’d notice him. I owed him a call. It was early the next morning on Tatooine. He should be up.

“Ty?” He answers.

“Miles you ready for that play-off game?” I ask.

“Ready as I’ll ever be,” he says.

“No,” I say. “Are you ready? It’s a yes or no question.” I tell him.

“Yes.”

“Listen to Yolanda, she’ll make the right calls. I promise to watch the whole season of games as soon as I can and if I’m impressed by your play I’ll invite you to try-outs,” I tell him.

“You’ll be impressed,” he says.

“When’s the baby due?”

“A couple of months. We’ll set a wedding date after she’s born,” he continues.

“A girl?” I ask.

He nods in confirmation. “I should go, gotta get to practice.”

“Good luck!” I say as I sign off.

The next day is our final full practice before the Miners land on our little planet. I tell Richard to set the sky for a night practice. We are playing a night game after all. Even though it’s indoors the ceiling will be dark with artificial stars to light the field and we should get the advantage of practicing under game like conditions.

I’m glad we do this, all the lights on the sidelines mess with me and give me a brutal headache. In order to prevent this from happening again on game day tech comes down and tones down the brightness of the lights. A few hours later once my headache has subsided I go out on the sideline again. This time things are much better. We make sure the Miners sideline will have all the same settings as our own. Gosh it would be nice to create an unfair advantage like that. In the end though, even I couldn’t live with myself knowing we cheated. I wanted to win. And I wanted to win fairly. I needed another shot at the Galactic Cup. Sooner the better. Before this getting older shavit takes anything else out of me.

Tag: @Trieste

jcgoble3 and Trieste like this.
  12. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC: Alana Kirt
    Blue Bird Stadium, Cape Suzette, Bakura
    All-Bakura High School Limmie Championship Opening Round: vs. Richmont (Barrie Otters)

“Who’s David McConnor?”

That had been Niall’s question after the announcement selection.

“He’s, without question, the most talented Sophomore in Bakuran high school limmie,” Alana had explained in the speeder ride home. “He’s the only reason that the Otters won the Richmont County championship. Kid’s an absolute stud. He’s going to the ELL, no question. Might not even play college limmie with the skills he has.”

“That’s allowed?” Niall asked.

“That’s allowed,” she confirmed.

And now Alana was looking at him on the opposite side of the field. He even looked like a Sophomore, not a team-leading scorer and one of the best players in the northern hemisphere of Bakura. Alana had watched vids of him all week. The kid was a grade A talent, no question about it. She’d seen some of his opponents triple team him and he still got loose and scored goals. It was ridiculous.

The Beavers were lucky that the random draw of the bracket had given them home field advantage. The late rounds would take place at Bakura Gardens, but with 16 games to be played in one weekend it was impossible for all the games to be scheduled at the planet’s premiere venue (except for the Salis D’aar County champions, who would play there if they got a home game--the lucky devils).

Emotions were running high as limmie fans from across Watercrest County had turned out for the game. There was a sizable contingent from Richmont who had journeyed to see their teen phenom lead his team in the playoff, obviously expecting great things from him. Richmont brought a level of play that exceeded anything the Beavers had faced thus far--and Alana was the only one who knew anything about facing this kind of skill.

Davy had given her the floor for part of the pregame pep talk in the locker room, now being held in the home facilities of Blue Bird Stadium (which Alana could honestly say hadn’t changed much in 20 years). “We need to survive the first 10 minutes,” Alana told the team. “There’s going to be a big emotional high because it’s the playoffs. If we can hang on, even be down by a score, we’re going to be fine. Think about everything we did when we played Hi-Hi, Rancho Zocalo, and Bay Park. Be fueled by your emotion, but play with control.

“We all know what we face today. McConnor is their top threat. But here’s the thing: he’s the only reason they’re here. That makes the Otters different from us. We’re here because we play as a team and we work hard. They’ve got 14 players that coast because they stand around watching McConnor. We are going to hit those 14 players so hard that their heads are going to spin around on their necks. We are going to show them what Beaver limmie looks like. And what are we going to do?”

“DAM IT!” the team yelled back.

All the pregame speeches in the galaxy were useless now. The game was about to begin. Alana called Jyn over before she took her position.

“You set?” she asked.

Jyn nodded.

“Okay, you got this,” Alana said, slapping Jyn on the back and sending her on her way.

“You sure this is gonna work?” Davy asked quietly beneath the growing roar of the crowd.

“It worked against me back in the day--and I’m no McConnor.”

“I think you mean McConnor’s no you,” Davy joked.

“Well…” Alana allowed, “let’s see about that.”

It started with a bump. McConnor’s head turned to look at where it had come from--which turned out to be a passing Jyn, who had cut a little close to the star half forward and met him in a minor collision. McConnor still caught the pass intended for him, but a little late and he just barely dodged the Beaver defender who was coming for him.

Then it was a shoulder in close quarters. McConnor was jostled by the contact and looked indignantly--once again at Jyn--at the offender, as if to say, What right do you have to get like that?

Then Alana saw McConnor’s head snap around to bark someone--again at Jyn, who had apparently made some kind of a remark (Alana had a feeling it was about being a “pretty boy,” because she’d suggested that as the basis for Jyn’s digs). This time he missed a pass as a result of losing focus.

This was Alana’s gameplan to neutralize McConnor: get in his head. He might be an ultra-talented Sophomore, but he was still a Sophomore. Alana was betting he didn’t have the emotional maturity to let these kinds of things go, regardless of whether they were verbal or physical.

It turned out she was right.

McConnor was visibly distracted, and at times undone, by the minor slights and hits that Jyn laid on him all game long. He even took a penalty for retaliating against her at one point, turning the boloball over to the Beavers. Had his coach not physically inserted himself between McConnor and the ref, the star forward could have been thrown out of the game entirely.

One thing Alana had told the team had not turned out to be true: the other 14 players on the Otters were no pushovers. In fact, they were holding their own against the Beavers blow-for-blow. By the early second half, the game became the highest-scoring contest of the entire season for Ojai North, both teams edging into the 20s.

Luckily, the Beavers knew how to fight through adversity. They never gave up. Even when the Otters would put up a goal, Ojai North chipped away with points over the bar to get back in the game.

And then, as McConnor in a fit of frustration shoved Jyn to the ground, he missed a Beaver forward popping the boloball over the bar to go ahead 28-27. And that was how it finished, a giant upset for the Beavers against the hot young team.

Alana greeted the final result with a giant grin. She’d been picked on enough by Smugglers, Mercs, Senators, Starkillers, Pirates, Storm, Buccaneers, and more teams than she could name, all trying to get a rise out of her and take her off her game. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn’t.

She had to admit, when you were the one doing it to the other team, it felt good when it worked. Really good.

TAG: None

jcgoble3 and Runjedirun like this.
  13. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Limmie Hall of Fame announces induction of new class
      • Oss'irh'cgood, Rydonni Prime Monarchs (277-287). 280 Galactic Cup champion and four-time Solo Conference Champion, including three consecutive championships (278-280, 286). Won the Salbukk Award (278) and Ingbrand Award (277) and nominated for the Duchess Eldin twice (279-280), Vigo Award (282). Named an All-Pro (277), two-time All-Star (279-280). Posted 3 shutouts (278-280), 11 shutdowns (277-280, 282, 287) and had four consecutive seasons with shutouts or shutdowns (277-280)
      • Kara Suryesh, Ralltiir Starkillers. Back-to-back Galactic Cup champion (281-282), team co-captain in both seasons. Team captain from 283-287. Winner of three Duchess Eldin Awards, including back-to-back wins (281-282, 287)
      • Bat Vigo, Ralltiir Starkillers. Back-to-back Galactic Cup champion (281-282), leading the team in scoring in both seasons

TAG: @Runjedirun @SWNerd11

jcgoble3, Bardan_Jusik and Runjedirun like this.
  14. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

IC: The Rancor Pitt

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! From downtown Keldabe, on a cloudy and cool Victory afternooooon. Welcome on into the Rancor Pitt, here on your wave home of the Mando'ade Mercs. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz Baker on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a lot to talk about today."

"It's playoff time!"

"It is, it is, and the road to the playoffs was paved with a Game of Rivals win over the arch rival Strugglers..."

"Kept them from the playoffs too."

"There could be only one!"

"...33 to eight in what was probably the best game the Mercs have played thus far this season."

"First time all year that the Mercs scored over 30 while holding an opponent to single digits, and yeah they had everything working out there."

"Arock looked like a man vying for yet another MVP."

"And Maximus made a late push there for rookie of the year with a fine performance."

"One game does not an award make, but he looked like what we expected there when we drafted him."

"And the defense, you know I love defense, played an amazing game in front of Stargazer."

"If the Mercs can do that two more times they are going to be bringing home the Cup..."

"A SilverCup."

"...the Galactic Cup."

"That's right, because for the third year in a row now the Mercs have earned a first round bye as they again take the Skywalker Conference regular season crown."

"Hasn't won them any Cups though lately."

"People said the Mercs have had their day..."

"I get it, from the lyrics."

"...what with the Beskar age of limmie, but yeah here we are again. Third straight Skywalker title, and once again the eventual Skywalker champion will have to play at Meshla Vhetin..."

"Where the Mercs have lost two straight playoff games."

"...to earn a place in the Galactic Cup Championship."

"It was a strange season though for the Mercs, they were not nearly as dominant as they were back in the Beskar Age..."

"No, they weren't."

"In fact I'd say they were actually pretty inconsistent all season long as they searched for an identity."

"Well, they did end up tied with the Sens for the league's best record..."

"Losing the Commissioner's Trophy due to their 18 to 2 loss back a couple of weeks ago."

"...but yeah it was kind of a feast or famine season for them all year long."

"Held to single digits in all three of their losses."

"Yeah that's a concern going forward, though they did manage to score over 30 in three of their wins..."

"Including the season finale."

"...Another win saw them score 24 while the remaining two victories they scored less than 20, but managed to hold their opponesnts to single digits."

"So, they can beat you in numerous ways."

"That's one way of putting it, but another is just what you mentioned earlier, they are inconsistent and here is hoping that this late season effort against the Strugglers is a sign of things to come here in the playoffs."

TAG: @Vehn

Runjedirun and Trieste like this.
  15. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Wild Miners press conference on the heels of thrilling Truce Day Game win against Carratos Pirates
    • Head coach Jon Draper: “That’s just the way the game goes. You play awesome, lights out, beat a playoff-bound team, finish with a winning record, and sometimes you still miss the playoffs. It’s disappointing, but that’s how it goes”
      • “Look, in other seasons you can get into the playoffs with a losing record. Nobody said it’s fair. This is limmie. There’s nothing fair about it”
    • Harle Quinn on scoring the game-winning point and finishing as the Miners’ leading scorer: “Really? Little old me? Aww shucks!”
      • “Honestly, neat as that is, it doesn’t mean much because we’re not going to the playoffs”
    • Horst Penn: “I would rather have the Jar of Dirt than go to the playoffs. I mean look at this cute dancing tree I planted two years ago! He’s still here! He reminds me of Grute on the Mercs! And if the Pirates had won they probably would have dug him up. That would be cruel! Oh man, I bet Drachs is so jealous. He probably wishes that he had a dancing tree instead of the Commissioner’s Trophy”
    • Press conference interrupted by Quinn Cundertol, waving a datapad: “The standings are wrong”
      • Penn: “The standings are never wrong”
      • Cundertol: “But they’re wrong”
      • Penn: “So the thing that is never wrong is wrong?”
      • Cundertol: “Yes”
      • Penn: “And this means…”
      • Cundertol: “We made the playoffs”
      • Draper: “Wait, we made the playoffs? I guess limmie is fair”
      • Quinn: “PLAY-OFFS! PLAY-OFFS! PLAY-OFFS! YAY!”
      • Penn: “We made the playoffs! What?! I get the Jar of Dirt and get to go to the playoffs! BEST DAY EVER!”
        • At which point Penn threw the Jar of Dirt in the air while celebrating, only to fail to catch it, causing the Jar to break into many pieces and scatter the dirt everywhere
        • Penn while gathering the pieces, dirt, and dancing tree awkwardly in his arms: “Uhhhhhh...I’ll just get some tape to fix this”
          • HSN analyst: “Tape isn’t going to fix that”When approached for comment Pirates' Coach Logan Sandin-Manx replied: "They did what...Well, if it was going to be anyone. That jar was an antique, from the Arcadia herself donated by the Pirate King of Carratos. It can never be replaced...oh well I guess this is the end of the Jar of Dirt Game."
        • When approached for comment Pirates' Coach Logan Sandin-Manx replied: "They did what...Well, if it was going to be anyone. That jar was an antique, from the Arcadia herself donated by the Pirate King of Carratos. It can never be replaced...oh well I guess this is the end of the Jar of Dirt Game"
    TAG: @galactic-vagabond422

Runjedirun, Bardan_Jusik and jcgoble3 like this.
  16. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    IC: Tendra Nalo
    Location: Marte Nalo Field at Storm Stadium, Eusebus, Euceron
    Time: Late in second half against Chandrila, Week 9

Tendra had talked to her team in the locker room before the game, so they knew what this game meant to her. On the surface, to the fans in the stands, this was a meaningless game, nothing more than a chance for the Officers to play spoiler for a team that was widely hated. But for Tendra it meant something more.

Speaking of a chance to play spoiler, they had done just that. Owen Magnus recorded a shutdown as Tendra scored a double hat trick and several points over the bar in a 36-2 slaughter of the Patriots, sending their fans home deflated. After the game was over, the teams went through the traditional handshake line, when normally the home crowd would be heading for the exits to try to beat the traffic.

But on this occasion, most were staying put, having been informed that there would be a special speaker after that game. That speaker was Tendra, who stood at center field on the Officers logo in front of a microphone that had been brought out for the occasion.

“Hello, Euceron,” she began. “Thank you for sticking around, and thank you all for not losing faith in Euceron limmie after the unspeakable events of nearly fifteen years ago. You all have shown that, try as they did, the Bassells simply could not kill the spirit of professional limmie on Euceron.” Tendra had to stop as the crowd erupted into cheers. After they quieted down, she continued. “To those who lost family and friends in the disaster of 278, as well as those who were among the few to survive the explosion, thank you for staying loyal to the team, and I hope the deaths of the Bassell brothers brought you some closure.”

Tendra paused for a moment, and looked over at the sideline. Her mother Jaria and brother Jado, the latter a Jedi recently promoted to Master now, stood there, having come down from the owner’s box as the game was concluding. Tendra motioned for them to join her at center field. Tendra briefly whispered to Jado, who whispered back, at which Tendra decided to go off-script for a moment. “About the deaths of the Bassell brothers: There are still many who refuse to believe they are dead or no longer a threat without their bodies. Some of you who followed my early career with the C-Bucs may remember that I took a leave of absence from the team during the 282 season that coincided with the announcement that the Bassells had been dealt with. This is the first time I have ever publicly admitted it due to the classified nature of the operation until now, but the timing of those two things was not a coincidence. That leave of absence was for me to join the Jedi on the mission to rescue my brother, Jado, here,” Tendra said as she placed a hand on his shoulder, “who had been in the clutches of the Bassell brothers for two years. During that mission, I risked my life to not just save my only remaining sibling, but to also end the Bassell threat for good.

“To those who are skeptical about the Bassells’ deaths, know that on that mission, not only was I an eyewitness to Rondy’s death, but that I, Tendra Nalo, personally fired the blaster bolt that killed Rosty Bassell. Both of these occurred ten standard years ago today. This is not hearsay, but rather what I saw with my own eyes and did with my own hands. So you can trust that the Bassells are well and truly dead, and have been for a decade.”

The crowd applauded, and then Tendra pressed on. “However, that is not why I asked to speak tonight. The reason I did is more personal that that. Some of you are familiar with my injury history, specifically concussions. I have had at least seven concussions over the course of my 13-year career. The one I suffered off the field in my rookie season, in the Bucs’ locker room brawl, that landed me in the hospital, was the worst, and many others have followed. These injuries have left me with occasional, unpredictable intense and disabling headaches. At 33 years old, I have to ask myself whether my love for the game of limmie is worth the severe and potentially fatal repercussions that could come with another concussion, not to mention the increased risk of CTE. For that matter, I may already have CTE and not know it.

“Those that know me well know that my second love behind limmie is running, and yesterday, I ran my first ever timed 5K race. Near the end, I got locked in a battle with a teenager, who beat me by one step. While neither of us were giving it one hundred percent for the majority of the race, each treating it as a training run initially, it still hurts my ego a bit to lose to a teenager. I told the girl that I wanted a rematch next year, and during the medal ceremony, as I looked at her gold medal, I realized a simple truth: that I want to be alive and healthy to not only fulfill the rematch, but for life in general. And while no limmie player is safe from a life-altering injury when they step on the field, the risk for me is much, much higher. Too high to be worth any amount of money.

“It is with great regret and sadness that I, Tendra Nalo, announce that I have played my final game of limmie,” Tendra said as she held back tears. Jaria and Jado each reached out and grasped her shoulders, giving Tendra the strength to go on. “My playing career ends today, on this field, but I will be an Officer for life, if only as a fan. While I spent more years with the Bucs than with the Officers, my heart has always been on this world, my home planet. When we won it all, two years ago, my mother here tried to talk me into quitting then for the same reason, but I was riding high from the Cup win and refused to listen. It took me two years to realize it, but Mom really does know best.” Tendra allowed a lopsided grin to come to her face, while Jaria chuckled.

“I would like to take this opportunity to implore Commissioner Lokensgaard and the Board of Governors to examine ways to reduce concussions in the sport of limmie. The Elite League cannot consider itself innocent in this matter. Part of the responsibility for my concussions falls on the lax rules that allow the violent hits that caused them. The League must do a better job of protecting its players through appropriate rules.

“I would also like to call on other players, past and present, to speak out regarding your own experiences with concussions and how they have affected you. If you have suffered, or continue to suffer, side effects from past concussions, speak up. The more of these voices we add to the conversation, the easier it will be to effect change.”

“Thank you for having me for the past five years here in Storm Stadium. I look forward to the Officers’ future success and hopefully to better head protection for players.”

Tendra stepped back from the microphone and raised one hand to wave to the crowd. The crowd broke into applause that lasted for several minutes. Tendra’s speech about killing the Bassells and about concussions would find their way onto almost every sports talk show in the galaxy and would be hotly debated. Tendra didn’t care what they thought of her going off on the Jado and Bassell mission, but she did hope that the concussion debate would result in real change. She also hoped that someone else would speak up about personal concussion effects.

TAGs:
    @Trieste (for the petition to the Commissioner)
    @Runjedirun (if Ty wants to respond to the call to speak out about concussions)
    Everyone (for reactions to Tendra’s retirement, public revelation about the Bassell mission, and the call for past and present players to speak up)

OOC: This ends Tendra’s main storyline, but I will still be participating in the game. Before the end of January, I will introduce a new perspective for a new storyline.

Jedi Gunny, Trieste and Runjedirun like this.
  17. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    IC Ty Allin

Ty's House After the Victory over Stewjon

The whole family is in the living room. We just got home and we are trying to decide if it's not too late to order some dinner when my data pad lights up. The call is from Geoff. I pick up, "Thought you were on Corellia spending the New Year with family," I say.

"I am. Did you see Nalo's speech?"

"Who what?"

"Tendar Nalo. She just retired."

"She's so young," I say. "Well she's a year older than I was when I retired."

"Ty she called out the league on the concussion issue," he begins. I know this call is about to get personal. I don't want my kids hearing this conversation. I head down to the basement for some privacy. I take a seat on a bench where I lift weights and listen as he continues. "She's calling on other athletes to speak out. She wants the league to change. Ty you need to schedule press conference."

"What are you crazy?" I ask. "Have you forgotten who owns the Starkillers. I can't turn on my wife's family."

"No one wants you to turn on the Starkillers. Nalo was proposing having some changes made to the rules, making it less violent, scaling back or maybe even eliminating concussions from the game," Geoff explains.

"Less violent?" I ask perplexed. "Maybe you aren't familiar with Limmie. The whole purpose of the game is to hit beings as hard as you can," I remind him.

"I thought to purpose was to put points on the board, score goals, win maybe," poor Geoff he doesn't understand Limmie mentality.

"They made up scoring to give crazy beings like me an excuse to go beat up on other beings without breaking the law. Geoff, Limmie is Limmie. You can't change Limmie. You'd have to call it something else. No one's going to watch professional flag Limmie. Trust me I have two kids who play. It's not the same."

"So you aren't going to speak up. On an issue that effects your daily life. You're just going to suffer in silence." He challenges.

"First of all I am not suffering. Second, any of us could die in a speeder crash tomorrow. When you step out your front door, hell even if you stay in your house all the time eventually something is going to take you out of this Galaxy. Playing Limmie heightens the risks everyone knows that. You think these owners pay players millions to live in a safety bubble?" I pause. "Third I do everything I can to make sure my players get out of games at the first sign of concussion. Our team trainers don't allow players back in games if there's even a possibility a concussion has been suffered. Richard takes care of his players. If the League makes changes to the game it won't be the game people grew up with. It will lose popularity. T.J. can make a good living playing Limmie. The credits this team brings in, my kids hold shares worth millions. How much you think those shares will be worth if the team folds?"

"Sorry I called," he hangs up. I jog back upstairs just in time to put my food order in.

Tag: @jcgoble3 (and that's why Ty thinks he should keep quiet)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  18. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Commissioner Lokensgaard holds press conference in advance of Galactic Cup Playoffs
      • "In conjunction with our colleagues at the LFL, we are currently exploring having an LFL stadium host the Galactic Cup Playoffs. These stadiums are often large enough to host an ELL-caliber match, even one of the prestige of the Galactic Cup Final. Our partnership to host the Galactic Cup and Futures Cup in the same weekend can work both ways"
      • Lokensgaard pointed to the successful Canto Bight Galactic Cup Final that was followed by the relocation of the Rydonni Prime Monarchs' farm team to that world
      • Regarding the short timeframe to prepare: "We have every confidence the venue we ultimately select will put on a galactic-class event"
    • Press conference quickly becomes dominated by discussions of player safety and concussions
      • Lokensgaard tried to evade the topic at first: "We absolutely wish Miss Nalo well in her retirement. She's a Galactic Cup champion and will be a strong candidate for the Hall of Fame one day. She will be missed"
      • When pressed by reporters: "We are always open to rule changes. We've made them in the past to open up the game. We eliminated offsides a century ago. We instituted the forward pass. I'm not going to shut the door to rule changes"
      • When further pressured to describe how the ELL will make the game more safe, the Commissioner became exasperated: "If Miss Nalo wants to make some constructive suggestions rather than just lob grenades, we'd be all for it"
    • Bak10 Commissioner Kerry Trieste when asked for comment on Tendra Nalo's comments: "This is an issue that's occupied a lot of my time as Commissioner. We've instituted tackling rules that disallow the head as a point of contact--from any perspective. I'll be the first to admit that might not be enough, but the conference is constrained by reality. We can't deviate too much from the ELL games or our players won't be ELL-ready, won't get drafted, and we're not going to attract top talent. We've already got a problem with the Core world media not giving us our due. I'm not going to shoot the conference in the foot and make that worse"
      • "Solutions are going to have to start at the ELL level. Their changes will trickle down to the other pro leagues and then into the conference and high school game"
      • "I'd absolutely be part of a summit on the issue. I'll host it if beings will show up"
      • On potential ideas: "Well if the Commissioner can't think of any, he's not very smart then, is he? My good friend Beskaryc Taab tried helmets for a game, but players didn't like them. I think they might have liked them more if it was a league-wide decision. After all, Mandalorians should love helmets"
      • "I don't think any idea should be dismissed out-of-hand. I'm willing to debate the idea of no contact limmie at all levels. But there's got to be consensus on what we should do"
      • "If we don't do something, there may not be limmie in a decade"
    TAG: @Bardan_Jusik @jcgoble3 @Runjedirun and anyone else with ideas! Time to think big!

Jedi Gunny, Runjedirun and jcgoble3 like this.
  19. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Iris "Scarface" Copin
    Bakura Gardens, Salis D'aar, Bakura

"Damn it," Iris shouted slamming her fist into the field. This was the third failed attack on the net in as many minutes. The Miners were ahead by only a single point, it would be simple to overcome, all she needed to do was score a single goal, a single bar point. That was it, only a single point separated her team from tying things up, one goal away from victory. It was so close but, so forcedamn far away it seemed. Every time she got the ball she would slam into a wall of defense and be thrown back, or thrown into the turf.

She looked to the sideline finding Leigh not there not watching. The veteran was most likely getting ice on her knee. She had done a lot of work, putting up two goals to keep the Pirates in this game. Iris made a third early in the half but, it was quickly overshadowed by Quinn when she finally put the Miners over the Pirates by that one, single point. The frustration was building and building inside. The rookie got to her feet slowly recovering from the hit by Penn. Another frustration, that Stagaheaded Full Back. She could shake every other defender but, not him.

Getting up with a sneer Iris scuffed the pitch of the historical stadium. When she got here she was enthused, she was at the Gardens on Truce Day an event that doesn't come around often much less your rookie year. It was an institution a limmie tradition that she got to be apart of so early in her career. Now that was just a far flung memory. She remembered a time the Pirates never lost to the Miners, when her team overcame them and playing an all road schedule to win their first Galactic Cup. This should have been an easy game.

It wasn't even close. Well it was a close game, too close. And Iris just felt like she was trapped, stuck, unable to move or get anything going. The Miners would locking her down not giving her the room she so desperately needed to push her team over the top. Grey got a pass out of the midfield and Iris happily took possession and rushed down the field. She broke past Jolzid with a shoulder shove, picking up speed she saw Penn angling to cut off her attack. She'd learned after four or five times that you don't take him head on.

She waited, and waited step by step waiting for the full back to bite to rush her. His shoulders leveled and she knew she had him. A few steps into his charge she took two steps to the side line where she had just enough room to slip past the defender that had vexed her all game. Now it was just her and Blake the goalie. All she needed was a goal, she just had to get the ball across the goal line that was all she needed to do. She brought back her arm and sent a blistering shot, it was going right to where the goalie couldn't get, this was going to put the game away.

Until Blake's hands wrapped around the fast spinning bolo-ball. A scowl and almost animalistic growl left Iris's throat. This was the one goal she needed to save her team to finish the season on a high note to go into the playoffs with a win under them. But, no the universe seemed intent on robbing her of her crowning victory.

This sour mood was not helped at all by looking up at the holo screen and seeing a face she'd not seen since she left home and not one she wanted to see now. The holo-camera focused on the stern face of her father.

"The one game he comes to and I blow it." she muttered under her breath.

The game ends with the Miners walking away and breaking the Jar of Dirt. Iris was there when Logan made his statement, she could feel the sarcasm coming off his words.

Most of the team got some sleep on the ride back Iris tried but she was still frustrated and angered. Why out of all the games her father could come to watch he chose that one, the one she failed to change. Failed to win.

Back home, late in the day, she got a message on her com,

'Meet me at the field, you know which one.'

It was from her father, what was he doing demanding that she meet him and what does he mean by 'the field.' She was half tempted to just throw the communication device across her room and against the wall. No. She wouldn't hide from him, no she would see what he wanted, what he wanted to talk about. Mostly so she could just scream in his face, get some of this frustration out of her. After a moment's thought she knew what field he was talking about. It was one just around the corner from where they lived, when they Geoff Copin was the coach of the Pirates not some attorney on Denon.

There were conflicting feelings as she rode across the city. This was the field she first started playing Limmie, one-on-one with her dad, or with Peggles. That gave her the first taste of the game she grew to love, to put above most everything else. It used to be something she shared with her father, before he got scared, before she gained her scar.

She brought her gear with her intending to maybe get some practice in or shoot a ball into an empty net something to blow off the steam she knew she would still have to work out. But, she wanted this confrontation, she wanted to look her father in the eye and tell him to go frack himself.

Getting to the place that once held so much joy, playing with her father she saw him standing there in a short sleeved shirt and shorts, was he getting some exercise in before talking to her? He had a black sleeve around his right knee, an athletic brace he wore due to an injury back in college. Shouldering her bag she walked up to him two bolo-balls under his arms. One noticeably brighter and smaller than the other. As she came closer she found a distinctive pink bolo ball was held under his left arm. His right held a regulation ball, the kind Iris used in the big stadiums of the ELL.

O'Pahz, the star around which Carratos orbited, had gone down over the city bearing its name. Bright lights came on illuminating the field. Iris stopped at the sideline and dropped her bag.

"What do you want?" she called out.

"I want you to come home." He said voice cold lacking the heated anger of his daughter.

"Frack you. I made my choice you can't change it."

"Is that anyway to speak to your father."

"Like you've been one for the past few years."

"I was there, for your graduation, your life days."

She gritted her teeth a growl slipping from in between them. More frustration and anger welling up inside.

"What are you here for anyway?" she shouted.

"To bring you home,"

"How the frack you going to do that, you can't lawyer me back councillor?" She spat his courtroom title at him like a curse.

"If the law could bring you back I would have done it already...No, I'll play you for it."

"Ha," a hearty scoff left her chest directed at her father. "You against me, you'll lose." Her eyes glared at the former coach.

"Really if you're so sure what do you have to lose?"

"What to I have to gain?"

He held up the pink bolo ball that had been missing from her possession since she realized it was missing.

"This, I know it's your favorite, you left it when you stormed out of the house."

A long breath left her staring at the once precious object held in her father's hand. She still wanted it back, it was hers, she played her first games of Limmie with it, her first games with her father. Though that relationship had soured it still represented her first steps in a sport she cherished.

Besides, her father was old, hadn't touched the pitch since before she was born. He had no chance against her ELL tested and trained for a year. She was in peak shape she wouldn't lose to him.

She wouldn't lose.

"Fine you're on." She threw her bag to the ground opening it up and pulling out her cleats. Her father walked to the far side of the field putting the pink ball that held so many memories on the sidelines.With growing fury Iris tightened up her cleats making sure they were nice and tight. She was taking this seriously, her father wanted to try and play her sport, her game, she would show him. He tossed her the regulation ball as they met in the middle of the field. She caught it without issue testing the pressure.

"What you think I'd deflate the ball." he taunted, "That's your mom's team."

Taking up a position Iris stretched her legs her father taking up a place a meter or two back giving her a run up. That would be his first mistake.

"First to 30." her father called out.

"Make it 15, it'll be easier on your old legs." She spat back, she was going to end this quickly, she was going to take her ball and go home.

"Still cocky, I saw you play against the Miners...sloppy."

She grit her teeth and took off in a sprint. She'd show him sloppy. He backed up a little giving her more room, his second mistake, giving her more momentum. As she came in she didn't even try to juke or step around him she was going to plow right through him. Realizing this, her father charged forward his shoulders lowered, she lowered hers more legs ready to suddenly rise and throw him off. They made contact and she shot upright throwing her father back but, he wasn't defeated. He stepped around and wrapped his arms around her waist swinging his heavier frame around he took her off balance and slammed her into the pitch.

He wasn't pulling his punches, or going easy on her. Fine, he wants to play rough she would too.

WIth her getting tackled possession swapped to her father, that was the rules they played by.

"How's that for old legs." He challenged taking the spot she occupied not too long ago. "I told you your play was sloppy."

She sneered as he set off she played closer than he did not giving him the chance to build up momentum. Rushing up Iris lowered her body arms out wide he wasn't getting past her. Until he did a slight step to the right and he was past her. With a causal flick of his wrist the ball hit the back of the net. Over his shoulder he gave a disappointed look.

The anger grew inside of her as he collected the ball and threw it back to her.

"That's one."

That familiar frustration came with the anger, it was like that idiot Penn, he had no right to be as good as he was but, he still stopped her. Her father had no business taking her to the pitch, she was a professional, in her prime he was a wasted hasbeen, that was never there.

She rushed forward for her second charge she'd not be so straight forward this time. Again her father gave her space backing up and backing up until her couldn't anymore. When he came forward she took two steps to the side right around him…

One of his arms wrapped around her from behind again ripping her off her feet and slamming her into the ground.

"Who do you think taught Leigh that move?" He said getting up looking down with a stern expression.

She got up, again. Now, now he cares about her sport the sport he taught her. And he was using it to make her come home.

On his next attack she gave him some space not overcommitting like she did last time. She back peddled almost as fast as he could run towards her until she stopped and planted her feet. The quick change in direction took him by surprise as she surged forward, exploded really. Catching him full in the chest and knocking him onto his back.

"Now who's sloppy." she snarled getting back up. He was a little slower but, she didn't care. This anger inside was slowly changing. It wasn't leaving just becoming about something else.

Her third attack was lightning fast her body moving this way and that not letting her father get a good idea of where she was going. She'd wanted him to see her, to see her play like this for so long. Why did if have to be now that he sees it? Catching the older man open she rushed through scoring her first goal.

"That's one."

Her father's follow up was quickly quashed by her rushing up and swinging in low catching him around the waist and slamming him into the field. With this small victory she failed to feel any relief. Not from the frustration or the anger.

Why?

Why did it have to be now?

She rushed downed again faking her two step and barreling through her father's left side and scoring another goal.

"That's two."

He never watched her play, sure he was there for her life days, her graduation, and other things. But, her was never there when she needed him there.

Iris shut down his next attack hitting him on his right side his weak side. Maybe she was trying to punish him for all the times he wasn't there to watch her play, to see her triumphs.

On her possession she could see him tiring out but, he wasn't giving up. Neither would she. Rushing up to him she threw her shoulder under his chin knocking his head back and making him see stars.

She didn't even stop to mark the score.

Her father got to his feet looking a little dazed by the shove she'd given him. Served him right, old man thinking he could beat her. Did he think she would feel sorry for him go easy on him? Fat chance.

He made no comment just taking his place and staring her down. There was a long pause an uncomfortable silence. Then out of nowhere the taller man broke to the right Iris followed keeping herself between him and the net. Then he broke to the left just as she was moving in. His full weight crashed into her as she was caught on her back foot, sending her tumbling back. She reached out for him but, like so many times before he was there. Her gaze would pass over the stands and her wouldn't be there, he was never there.

He closed the gap by a goal but, she still held the lead, and she planned to end it. The flame of frustration had faded, replace with a fury she'd never let on, never let show. The anger of a girl whose father was never there. This anger showed through as she violently turned her father's shoulder with a palm off.

She was only one goal away from ending this, just like against the Miners. Only this time she was facing an old man with a bad knee, she could easily beat him.

They didn't talk, no barbs traded back and forth as they had started. She was too angry and he was too tired. But, he wasn't so tired as to give up. He'd gone all the way to Bakura and back, he wasn't giving up.

He stepped forth a bit slower than he had started. But, it seemed he had other tricks up his sleeve. She charged him ready to end this charade this false game. In one fluid motion her stepped out and spun leaving his daughter to tackle nothing but air. He remained only a goal behind.

It didn't matter she would still win.

She still had more to give he was running on fumes. This would be the final possession, the final attack. She rushed forward eyes locked with his she shifted left then to the right.

'Are you watching old man.' she thought, 'I want you see, I want you to see what you never wanted to. Want you to see what I needed you to see.' She stepped out as he rushed in for the tackle with a deft spin she completely avoided her father's tackle. 'Were you watching, were you for once seeing what I needed you to, to see that I was learning from you the whole time. That I looked to Leigh but, I learned from you. Are you finally watching?'

She scored the final goal and turned back around to see her father smiling. A laugh on his lips. He got up slowly dusting himself off.

With a weary look he nodded his head a sort of silent understanding.

He finally saw. Finally knew, just how much he meant to her.

He handed over the ball on fighting no final demand that she come home. It was so small in her hand that she could hold it with one palm. She used her other arm to encircle her father holding him close.

"Did you see...did you see?" The words she wanted to say to him so long but he was never there to ask.

"I did...I saw sweetheart."

TAG: @Trieste

Trieste, jcgoble3 and Runjedirun like this.
  20. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"Hi I'm Ken Kitterich with your five by five sports update brought to you by Merr-Sonn, Fill you enemies with primal fear, fill their lungs with fire, Merr-Sonn."

"We've finished up the second week of Limmie Lunacy, let's see how the Elite Eight fared."

"Fans at the Nylonite Bowl were treated to to an instant classic between number one Royal College of Hapes and number eight University of Csilla..."

"Had me on the edge all game long."

"Ten lead changes or ties throughout the game, but in the end Csilla pulls off the upset 30 to 28..."

"Oh thank the gods."

"Of course fans at the Jogan bowl were treated to an even closer match as #13 Celwis System University overcame an early deficit to take the lead late before finally giving back the lead on a last second goal from #5 University of Kashyyyk. Wookiees win this one 24 to 23, Kashyyyk moving on."

"I thought we were going to see another upset there man..."

"They made it close."

"Meanwhile the Republic Bowl saw #2 The Ord Sabaok University down #7 University of Tatooine, Anchorhead 24 to 20..."

"Go Bucks!"

"...that win combined with the Hapes loss means the StarBucks are the highest ranked team left in the tourney."

"UTA put up a heckuvfight..."

"They'll be taking on #11 Tiarest University in the next round after the Bak10 champs took out #3 overall Norand University, Carratos 26 to 24 in yet another close game this round."

"This next week is going to be great."

"I'm Ken Kitterich and this has been your five by five sports update. I'll be back with you next hour at five after the hour but until then more of the Rancor Pitt, right here on the Fandalorian!"

TAG: no one/everyone

Limmie Lunacy: Final Four

Incom Bowl: #8 University of Csilla vs. #5 University of Kashyyyk

Bank of the Core Bowl: #2 The Ord Sabaok University vs #11 Tiarest University

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  21. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

Happy Playoffs! Bonus potential for Bakura, Carratos, and Ralltiir.

Galactic Cup Playoffs
    Conference Semifinals
    (3) Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at (2) Carratos Pirates (22-10)
    (3) Bakura Miners at (2) Ralltiir Starkillers (11-0)

Conference Finals
    (3) Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at (1) Mando'ade Mercs
    (3) Bakura Miners at (1) Coruscant Senators

TAG: @Bardan_Jusik @galactic-vagabond422 @jcgoble3 @Jedi Gunny @Runjedirun @Vehn

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Vehn likes this.
  22. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

Bonus Potential for Atzerri (28), Tatooine (33) and Concordia (28)

LFL Play – Offs

Atzerri Bandits(6) @ (3)Tatooine Sandskimmers (6-1)
    Cantonica Golden Knights(5) @ (4)Concordia Crusaders (14-28)

LFL Semifinals
    (4) Concordia Crusaders @ (2) Thyferra Force
    (6) Atzerri Bandits @ (1) Druckenwell Marksmen

Tags: @galactic-vagabond422 @SWNerd11 @Jedi Gunny @Vehn @Bardan_Jusik

23. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC: Alana Kirt
    Rejabek Park, Ojai, Bakura

“Alana, what are you doing here?”

Alana turned around to find one of her fellow Little League limmie moms looking at her in disbelief. She looked from side-to-side, trying to figure out if there was any reason she shouldn’t be here, like a Ssi-Ruuk invasion or natural disaster.

“Coaching the game?” Alana offered up, seeing as that was what she intended to do today. She was, after all, one of the parent volunteers for Kass’s Little League team.

“But the Beavers destroyed Clara yesterday! I figured you’d either be on a giant bender or madly drawing up plays!”

It was true, Clara County, home to the tony retreat of Prytis where many of Bakura’s elite kept homes in the woods (the Noble House of Trieste included), had gone down last night by a score of 14-7 to the Watercrest County champ Beavers. While Clara wasn’t a powerhouse like Telaan Valley, they still fielded a highly respectable team thanks to the fact that rich people could afford nice facilities, one-on-one coaching, and top-of-the-line equipment for their kids.

“Which one were you betting on?” Alana asked.

“Huh? Well, of course I thought the Beavers could beat them,” the parent assured Alana quickly.

“No, I mean the bender or the game prep,” Alana clarified.

“Oh. I think the bender? I mean, Ojai’s in the top eight teams in the planet! We never get this far in the All-Bakura!”

“I’ll celebrate when the season’s done and draw up plays when I get home,” Alana said. “For right now, I’ve got this game to worry about.”

“But surely the All-Bakura game is more important?”

“No, this game is more important right now,” Alana informed her, deciding against advising her fellow parent not to tell her son that she thought a high school game was more important than the one he was playing. She turned back to the action where Kass was running up and down the field with her teammates. She’d made a commitment to her daughter that she’d coach her in Little League just like she had Olivar and she wasn’t going to let Ojai North’s success override that promise. It was all very simple in Alana’s mind.

“Spread out!” Alana called to the players. “Don’t be like a pod of whalodons!”

Though it might be hard for her fellow coaches on Ojai North to believe, that was honestly the most useful feedback that she could give to her players at this level. Truth was, Alana couldn’t be happier to be yelling about basic positioning to these kids. They tried just as hard as the high school kids and might actually be happier when they won. The weight of a town wasn’t on their shoulders when they lost.

No, she wasn’t going to give up Little League as long as Kass played. Not ever.

“I know you want to tell me,” Alana said, reading the look on her husband’s face.

“You said you didn’t want to know until after waffles,” Niall pointed out.

“I don’t want to eat waffles having to look at that face,” Alana said.

“Tell her, Dad! Tell her!” Kass exclaimed, bouncing up and down.

“Are you sure?” Niall asked.

“Tell me,” Alana insisted.

“Tell her! Tell her! Tell her!” Kass chanted.

Alana was beginning to be glad that they’d decided to let Olivar sleep in after the excitement of last night’s game, otherwise he’d be chanting alongside his sister.

“Arielle,” Niall said.

So, as the All-Bakura Championship shifted to Salis D’aar for its final three rounds (especially with the Miners off-world for the Galactic Cup Playoffs), the Beavers were set to face the Ward 6 High School Magnolias from Nouvelle Orleans, the champions of Arielle County. Their unassuming name belied the fact that Ward 6 was a powerhouse limmie team that regularly made the All-Bakura tournament. Players there knew they were part of a storied program. They weren’t going to just roll over for the upstart Beavers. This was a team that had success in its bloodstream.

“Okay. Waffle time,” Alana said, herding the family towards the parking lot.

“That’s it? ‘Waffle time’?” Kass asked in disbelief. The Gesco/Arielle game had taken place while they’d been sleeping and everyone had known that the matchup would have been much more favorable if Gesco had won out.

“Yep. Waffles. Let’s go,” Alana ordered.

“Shouldn’t you be freaking out?” Kass protested. “It’s Arielle!”

“Your mother does not panic,” Niall said. “She plays the hand she’s dealt.”

“This is why I married you. You always have the right perspective.”

“You mean on waffles.”

“...yes.”

One week. Alana had one week to prepare for what would surely be the hardest game that the Ojai North Beavers had ever played.

She was going to need a lot of waffles.

TAG: No one

Runjedirun and jcgoble3 like this.
  24. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

IC: The Rancor Pitt

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! From downtown Keldabe, on a sunny but cold Taungsday afternooooon. Welcome on into the..."

"Wait, wait wait. Didn't you just do this music Bardan?"

"I have my reasons."

"...Rancor Pitt, here on your wave home of the Mando'ade Mercs. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz Baker on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a lot to talk about today."

"First round of the playoffs has come and gone and now the Mercs know who their opponent will be in the Skywalker Conference Championship game and wouldn;t ya know, it's our old friends the Strugglers in a rematch of the regular season finale..."

"OK, now the music makes sense."

"We are going to get some many calls on this one."

"Comm lines are already jam packed."

"Especially after we got it wrong at the beginning of last week and had the Strugglers out of the playoffs, now not only did they win their first round game, but they play the Mercs for the right to play for the Galactic Cup."

"Yeah I thought we paid for that little mistake all last week from the callers, now they're going to be insufferable."

"Hey we weren't the only ones to mess up the playoff slate this season, HSN..."

"C'mon we strive to always be better than the three letter network."

"...and the league office both screwed up their initial announcements as well."

"Yeah, kind of weird, we all messed it up, but in different ways."

"I blame the holiday season."

"But there is no screwing up now, the Mercs will face the Strugglers in a re match of The Game of Rivals..."

"Mercs dominated them in round one this season, going to be hard to repeat that."

"...while the Sens take on the Miners."

"Going to be some tough match ups this weekend and I'm expecting some hard fought games in the conference championships...."

"There can still be only one!"

TAG: @Vehn

OOC: I know HSN didn't actually screw anything up, but figured I would pretend like they did for the sake of this post. :p

25. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Miners post-game press conference after road win to make Solo Conference Championship game
    • Jon Draper: “We executed our game plan perfectly today”
      • When asked if he would have liked to have seen more offense: “Look, this season has not been the regular shoot-’em-up West Galaxy offense that we’ve run. You can’t take a nerf and ask it to be a gundark. Our game plan was to defense the Korriban against them and that’s what we did”
      • On whether their game plan will be the same against Coruscant next week: “Ask me what my bank account username and password are, why don’t you?”
    • Harle Quinn, who continues to lead the team in scoring: “Was this an upset? We beat them in the regular season? I don’t think this was an upset. But maybe it was? All I know is that we won and that’s good because Pammy and I always celebrate when we win”
      • When asked how she celebrates: “Ladies have to have our secrets, don’t ya know?”
    • Horst Penn: “I don’t understand why no one is letting me hold the Golden Orange Bowl. Jo got there before me after the handshake line. I always get to hold the trophies”
    • Quinn Cundertol: “I cannot confirm nor deny whether there is now an organization-wide ban on allowing Horst Penn to hold trophies”
    TAG: @Jedi Gunny @Runjedirun

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.