main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - OT [DDC 2019] Written in Sand

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by CaraJinn, Dec 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Author: CaraJinn
    Era: Immediately after Order 66 - sort of.
    Genre: Drama/Humor
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Summary: The day Obi-Wan Kenobi left Polis Massa with little Luke Skywalker, he was given a notebook from Bail Organa. This became the first of his notations from the life in the Tatooinian desert.
    Author's notes: Story is written as a contribution to DDC 2019

Scribble 1: Dear Diary

Oh, Force. What have I done? I promised to bring young Luke to his family on the starforsaken dustball that is Tatooine, but I forgot one very important thing. I know nothing about infants, let alone newborn ones. Nobody even asked me to do it, I volunteered. Stupid, stupid, stupid Kenobi. Of all the unbelievable stupid things I have ever done in my life, this must be among the top 10. And even there it's ranking high.

But, to my excuse, there weren't anyone else available to do it. Bail has to take Leia back home to Breha, and sending Yoda all the way to Tatooine with a wailing infant that is almost half his size already? Impossible. So, it had to be me. We couldn't involve anyone else in this mess.

Fortunately he's been asleep almost since we left and I really really really hope it will stay that way for a long time yet. I simply don't know what to do when he awakens. I never had anything to do with the infants in the creche. I came to good terms with the older initiates but I kept well clear of the smaller ones.

For some reason I asked Bail to give me this book. I feel that I have to keep track on what's happening from now on. It's probably even more stupid than believing I can take care of a baby. Maybe it's a way of getting the last few days horrendous events out of my system. I think no meditation can do that, but maybe putting words to it can?

One day, eons from now, days like these will appear like written in sand? Right?

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    :D [face_laugh] I can just hear him saying now of all the crazy things I could've done :eek: ... You can absolutely tell he's out of his depth with really small younglings!

I like the title, it refers to Tatooine but also to events that are transient versus permanent. [face_thinking]

AzureAngel2, Vek Talis and CaraJinn like this.
  3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    fun and just the thing for Obi-Wan to do. I like this diary

4. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Scribble 2: Stillness

Can this be normal? We got away from Polis Massa undetected and I had really hoped that young Luke would be quiet. And he was. I actually had to check ever so often whether he was breathing or not. I had feared he would be wailing like the sirens when the hull of a spaceship is broken by the laser guns of a separatist ship, but he was actually totally quiet for several hours and even when he decided to make himself heard it was only muted whimpering. I think that must be the first luck I've had for months.

We managed to get onboard the transport ship without being detected by any of Sidious' lackeys. I refuse to entitle him Chancellor anymore. That title was made for a more worthy man. I found this relatively quiet corner of the compartment so if I can keep Luke quiet for at least the first leg of our mutual journey, maybe, just maybe I can keep us unnoticed. The further we can get out into the outer rim without anyone seeing us, the safer we will be.

Speaking of which, a bearded, rugged, scorched man carrying a newborn baby and writing in a real book while travelling towards the outer rim may not be something one sees too often. I have to put the book away for a while and try to blend in a bit more.

How do I appear normal?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I'm glad Luke is quiet and I know Kenobi is! ;) They are certainly noticeable that's for sure, although I have a feeling the other passengers are too occupied with their own concerns to pay them any particular attention especially if they don't bother anyone. [face_thinking]

AzureAngel2, Vek Talis and CaraJinn like this.
  6. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    They sure can hide

AzureAngel2, CaraJinn and Vek Talis like this.
  7. Vek Talis

Vek Talis Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2018
    How do I appear normal?

[face_laugh] I would say asking that question is a sure sign you have no clue how to do it. Good diary so far. :)

8. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Yeah, but a small child on a transport...?

They do their best.

He really is clueless right now. Poor Obi. I hope I can make this diary in a true Obi-Wan spirit.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  9. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Scribble 3: What you Wish for

Oh. Oh… For once I got what I wished for. Luke woke up, and I can certainly say that the boy has lungs. And they work very well, thank you. I believe the entire compartment woke up at the same time he did. And in the moment he began to wail I realised that I'm so misplaced right now. I didn't have a clue of what to do. Finally an elderly woman felt sorry for me and helped me, or rather Luke, out. Great. I must be the best caretaker in the world. I managed to get a book with me, but no food for the little one. Fortunately her daughter, or was it daughter in law, was able to nurse him so right now he's full and content. And quiet. Thank the Force.

By the way, I seem to have changed now. When she reached out for me I needed to present me with a name. I couldn't really say 'General Kenobi', could I? And I wasn't sure about the Obi-Wan thing either, so I just grasped the first name that came to my mind. So, now I'm officially Ben, I guess. I have no idea where that came from. I think maybe Siri used to call me that sometimes when she wanted to be really annoying. Oh, well, I guess it was better than Chun Bruck's 'Oafy-Wan', anyways

Force, I'm rambling again. I have real trouble coming up. The elderly lady reminded me that I will need diapers for Luke too. We can buy that and some milk in a market nearby the next port before continuing our journey.

I fear the worst. That part of being a caretaker will be less than pleasant. What have I gotten myself into?

10. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Well, let me tell you about Luke and the importance of books for him.

:yoda:

Well, written.

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Glad Obi-Wan got some much-needed assistance! [face_relieved] You can totally tell he still feels overhwlmed.

Vek Talis, AzureAngel2 and CaraJinn like this.
  12. Vek Talis

Oct 12, 2018
    I totally think he should have gone with 'Oafy-Wan'. :p

AzureAngel2 and CaraJinn like this.
  13. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Really, TPAM? :rolleyes: :p

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  14. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Scribble 4: Gore

I've done it. I've changed my first diaper. Well, not mine obviously, but Luke's. I found the right booths in the market the lady mentioned to me and I was able to buy both diapers and some milk. Luke drank the milk with good appetite, but with intake of milk something comes out…

Changing diapers is not, and will not be, my favourite pastime.

I have seen all kinds of blood and gore throughout the three years of war, but believe me, Luke took it to an entirely new level. Who would have thought that such a small person could make so much, well, gore? I did not. Now I know better.

It took me a while to get him somewhat cleaned up. I can tell, there aren't very good facilities for cleaning a baby's butt onboard 4th class on a passenger ship, but somehow I managed. I even managed to get a clean diaper fairly well attached to him, so now he's sound asleep again.

Maybe I can do this caretaker thing after all?

Oh, no. What was that sound? And that odour?

AzureAngel2, Kahara and Vek Talis like this.
  15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_rofl] [face_rofl] [face_rofl] Wonderfully hilarious and realistic too [face_mischief] =D=

16. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    But isn't that just the way though? You finish changing the baby's diaper, and five minutes later.....You have to do it again.

17. KithuraVess

KithuraVess Jedi Master star 4

Nov 19, 2008
    xDDD I love how he feels the need to specify.

18. Vek Talis

Oct 12, 2018
    I think it was his own diaper he changed. He just didn't want to admit Luke helped him. :D

KithuraVess and AzureAngel2 like this.
  19. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Scribble 5: Tired

We came to Tatooine at mid-day today and I was a bit bewildered of what to do. The only thing I've experienced from this planet before is sand, and lots of sand. After all the last time I, no we, were here I was stuck out in the sand dunes with the not-Queen and the ship and the crew while Qui-Gon and the real Queen got all the fun. Well, they had to take Jar-Jar with them and I assume that would be punishment enough for sentient beings.

At least that was what I thought then. I may have changed my mind later on. There really are worse creatures than Jar-Jar Binks.

All I know about Tatooine is what Anakin told me, and the little I know from the courses back in my padawan days. It's a harsh place, rough and unforgiving. Slavetrading is an acceptable way of living and the Hutts rule almost everything here.

Thank the Force that the Lars' homestead is way out there somewhere. At least it will be far away from slavers and Hutts. According to Anakin it is fairly close to Anchorhead, so I need to find a way to get there. If it were only me it would have been easy, but I have little Luke too. I'm really a mess at caretaking. And Force, I'm so tired. I don't really know when I slept last time. First it was Utapau and then the Temple….and Mustafar. And now this. I must have slumbered every now and then during the flights but I'm so blasted tired now.

I found this little guesthouse. It was fully booked but the receptionist actually managed to find me this cramped space in the attic. I think Luke is as clean as he could possibly be with the water restrictions here.

Even that bulky couch seems tempting now. I better try to sleep before I collapse. Please, let me sleep without dreams. I wonder if I could give myself a sleep suggestion?

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL A very ironic (given the circumstances!) commentary on Jar-Jar Binks ;) Yes, there are worse creatures, definitely with Sith running around! :p

I just want to give Obi-Wan a hug! [:D]

If anyone deserves dreamless sleep, he does.

@};-

21. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Who can't relate to being so tired you're practically falling asleep on your feet? I think we've probably all been there ones or twice. The man definitely gonna need some coffee in the morning.

22. Vek Talis

Oct 12, 2018
    I am, unashamedly, in the minority. I liked Jar Jar. In the spirit of the great physical comedians, he had some good stuff. Of course, Oafy-Wan wouldn't be able to appreciate physical humor. :p

AzureAngel2, CaraJinn and Kahara like this.
  23. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    You know he doesn't like to be called Oafy-Wan.:p

AzureAngel2, CaraJinn, Kahara and 2 others like this.
  24. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Metoo [:D]

He may need it, but he won't get it. He's a sworn tea drinker, mind you.

As did I.

25. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Scribble 6: Anchorhead

Oh, this has been a most eventful day indeed. I actually managed to get some sleep on that couch and I felt somewhat better when I woke up. I got Luke ready for a new day's adventures without too much trouble, which right now means no burping on my shoulder after feeding him, and no peeing up my sleeve when changing diapers. Never, ever, wear a robe when you're changing diapers on a baby. I learned it the hard way yesterday. Fortunately the guesthouse had a sonic so I got both myself and my clothes somewhat cleaned up. What little water I could get out of the tap was used for a much needed bath for Luke. Good thing he is so small that he didn't need much water to be soaked. He seems a lot happier now. Fortunate that Lars' is a moisture farmer. Hopefully they can afford to give him a bath every now and then. At least while he's so tiny.

We checked out from the guesthouse in the early morning hours. I wanted to hit the road before the suns were high in the sky. (Who am I fooling? Road? Here? ) This place is really unbelievably hot.

The receptionist this morning was thin and wiry. She must have lost all her rations to the one that was here yesterday. But she was fairly kind as well and could inform me of where to find the shuttle to Anchorhead. I really hated to ask but I needed to find it quickly. I could not afford to stay in Mos Eisley for long. It would be too dangerous even though the Empire hasn't found their way out here yet. I couldn't and cannot get noticed.

Under other circumstances the trip to Anchorhead would have been amusing. Imagine being tucked into a rusty can with engines. That's how the shuttle appeared. It was far worse than even the worst spaceships at the Temple, and believe me - they weren't luxury. My, no our, fellow travellers were all kinds of species and their luggage was even more intriguing. Obviously they needed to take all their bits and pieces inside, and I mean everything. The pilo-hen cages went fairly well, their inhabitants just made a terrible noise, but when a rhodian tried to squeeze in a nerf the shuttle pilot refused. The nerf party had to use the evening shuttle. I'm so glad for rising early. Wouldn't have enjoyed being on that one.

The hen cages brought with them some benefits, though. When Luke wanted his lunch nobody heard his wails over the infernal cackling from the hens.

By mid-day we arrived at Anchorhead, and by some miracle we were on schedule. I have no idea how that happened. I hid Luke under my robe to protect him from the suns if not from the heat. The latter is impossible I think. It seems like he understood that now was a good time to be quiet because he made no sounds at all, and it appeared like I just had a bulky bag stuffed under my robe.

I quickly decided to try to buy an eopie. They seem to be the preferred transport animal for the locals and I want to blend in as much as I can. I assumed it would bring me to the Lars' homestead quicker than just by walking and I didn't dare to ask for any more shuttles. I simply had to leave no traces behind on that place.

The negotiations were short but remarkable friendly. I'm not sure if I was fooled or not but I believe I got a good bargain. The eopie I bought is quite young and I managed to get the saddle and the reins as a part of the deal. It cost me 100 credits but that can't be too bad? Not out here. It's the first time I actually feel I've earned the nickname "Negotiator".