main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VADER EPISODE 1: SHARDS OF THE PAST - A STAR WARS THEORY FAN-FILM

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Tycalibur, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Of course you can.

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes, career as in making a living out of it.

If all you do for a living is making videos talking about a certain IP, and you use copyrighted material in those videos, then it could be copyright infringement, yes. Fair use only takes you so far.
    And no, of course you can't copyright opinions. You can copyright products, names, texts, etc. but not an opinion. That would mean that no one would be legally allowed to share your opinion, and that's downright silly.

Outsourced likes this.
  3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    But you don't need to use copyrighted material in order to talk about an IP.

What? No. You can copyright your opinions. For example, the review industry. Literally every review is an opinion about something. And many of them are copyrighted, either to the author or the publisher (when they happen to not be one and the same). And reviews are just an example, you can copyright opinions published on your blog, in your videos, etc... And you can profit from it all. Disney, or any other copyrighter holder, has nothing to do with it. It's your content. That their IP happens to be the subject of the opinion is irrelevant.

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Star Wars Theory does though, doesn't he?
    Honestly, I don't even know what we're talking about anymore.

No. In the case of reviews, the texts or videos themselves are copyrighted. The opinions are not.

Seriously, let's get back to the actual topic now, which I believe had something to do with... fish?

5. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Outsourced and TCF-1138 like this.
  6. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    It would be interesting to see if they could match ROTJ level Mon Calamari :D

I'm not so keen on the return of Mace Windu in the second episode. I wonder how disabled he will be?

7. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Are they using an actual costume, or will it be CGI?

8. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Cutout animation.

9. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
  10. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    That is literally the greatest thing ever!

11. Tycalibur

Tycalibur Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 26, 2001
    Wow. I forgot all about this thread after I started it. Interesting how the course of this progressed as we went through the news of the copyright strike on Youtube, then that same strike being withdrawn. Thanks mods for moving the thread where it was more appropriately discussed.

12. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    Good try. Less is more. Overwrought and corny. Lots of light sabers , lightning and blasters. Predictable. I like the film of the stormtroopers on their way to jakku better.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  13. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Less is more? The vader fanfilm is 16 minutes long which seems to pass quickly. The stormtrooper one is 3 minutes long and less than 1 minute in I'm aware of how much it looks like three guys chatting while relieving themselves. It gets away with it because the dialogue is meaningful, but if it was any longer than 3 minutes it would be a joke. Less is not more. Short and simple can be good. Long and simple can be boring.

14. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    Hi, I should have been specific. It isn't the length of the short that I was referring to, it was the dialogue and effects. This is only my opinion. I thought the dialogue was florid and just plain awkward. Too many effects for my taste. Fan films require some leeway and forgiveness as it is an amateur creation but I couldn't stop cringing. I like the idea and kernel of the story, it is a fascinating time in the Anakin/Vader metamorphosis. Also, I don't recall Ahsoka being mentioned in this, was she?

15. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    I think SC 38 has topped this one.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  16. TheChosenAlpha

TheChosenAlpha Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 15, 2020

Well the teaser for the next episode has dropped.
    How are they going about including Mace????

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  17. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Looks cool. An expected tease after the end of the first episode. Looking forward to the full thing!

18. VaderBoyee

VaderBoyee Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2021
    Still great all this time later.