main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY 2017 Book Club Dates

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Yoda_Jammies, Jan 10, 2017.

1. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    I went Sunday and saw them too. It was nice to catch up with them.
    See you next time Relin.

2. Commander APPO

Commander APPO Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 19, 2012
    Hey All, Well first let me say that it was a wonderful surprise to see Relin and Jedimika at SuperCon. We've been in overwhelm with doing the life thing and taking care of business. We've missed you all and are looking forward to seeing y'all again soon. I know this is the last month of the year and it looks like the new bc schedule isn't up yet so, we're looking forward to it's arrival. Don't know if a meet & greet is scheduled for Dec if not everyone have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year until we see ya again! Zannah & Appo

3. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  4. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
  5. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    Question trying to remember a Mando who was trained in the Jedi way and then went back to Mandolar. It was in one of our bc meetings of a book we read, can anybody help?

6. Lord_Zannah

Lord_Zannah Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Hey gang, we're back and have missed everyone terribly. I can't wait to come out and greet all of you. Oh my Star Wars... I've missed you all so badly. @};-

7. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Yay!

Lord_Zannah likes this.
  8. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I think I know...
    Bardan Jusik? He was a padawan of Master Zay's, and was assigned to support a squad of ARC troopers early in the war. Bardan came to really respect the troopers (particularly Ordo), and was later an honorary Mando. At that point the Jedi made him pick his loyalty, and Bardan said "sure, no problem. I will side with the folks that don't use slave child labor thankyouverymuch!" The Jedi were all, "don't let the screen door hit you where the Midichlorian split yah." So Bardan the padawan became Bar'dika the Mando and was adopted into clan Skirata. Durring the Empire he changed his name to Gotab, but still wore his green (for duty) mando armor. Later he would help Boba Fett train Jaina Solo, as she prepared to kill her brother Jacen.

You could be thinking of someone else, as there are a few other Mando Jedi-- but I am pretty sure this is your guy.

You're my guy Appo!

Hugs,
    Jammies

jedimika and Lord_Zannah like this.
  9. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    Yay back at ya!! Thanks Jammies good to see your mind is still like a steel trap (once it gets in there you never let it out) when it comes to SW.

10. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    So is there a book for February?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

11. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Stang. I knew I was forgetting to do something.

12. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
  13. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    So. I had planed on posting a voting thread, to see what books we want to read in the new year. Some cool books coming up; like the Padme book, the X-Wing-ish sounding book Alphabet Squadron, and Claudia Grey's new tome on Qui Gon! Then, we got a few we missed last year (book club wise), like the Han Solo movie novelization, or the Solo tie-in book Most Wanted. And we can't forget the old classics of Legends. I still want to do a deep dive into the meta awareness that is Matthew Stover's Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor-- compare and contrast that with the Luke from Last Jedi and sprinkle in Stover's own quotes on that work, the nature of canon, and how French Paul-Michel Foucault was an influence for him on his star wars work.

And I will. Maybe I just did. But, I didn't do that after our last meeting.

So, what then? Do we just skip it? 4 weeks isn't enough time to pick a read a typical novel (or write an essay on Foucault).

Well, no. Book Club has become our main touch point. I don't want to give that up; we are a really terrific group of dorks. Another idea we had bounced around was to pick a time to talk comics. Last month's final issue of Darth Vader was epic! And I can't wait to hear yours and Mika's thoughts. Plus, if anyone would like to join us the barrier to entry will be very low. Even for us.

Do you know who Darth Vader is? Cool. Your ready for February's book club.

So. Would that work for you Rel?

Jammies

14. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    Who is Darth Vader??? Does he know Anakin Skywalker???

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yoda_Jammies likes this.
  15. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    OK, so, Yep! that sounds like a plan to me ha! ha!

I'm for the vote of selected readings (that you've already suggested Jammies) since we've never had the pleasure of reading any of them (which is what I always loved about this group) along with occasional pop up topic that happens with every meeting. If Vader is our choice I think we can handle that and look forward to seeing everyone in Feb..

16. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Always lots to talk about when you talk Vader. Still don't know my February work schedule yet though.

17. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Great. Then it is settled.

So, we will meet on February 4th at Barnes and Nobles at 7:00ish. I'll bring some ideas, and dates, and we can plan our reading for the rest of 2019. Then, we can dive into Mr. Weezy himself, Darth Vader.

Of course, as is our style, our conversation can go anywhere-- but i'd like to talk a bit about the recent issue of Marvel Comic's Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith, issue 25.

Just as a way to introduce the comic to anyone who hasn't picked it up yet, I'll give a few details. This comic book started in 2017, and the last issue was a few weeks ago. The setting of the comic is the Dark Times. It picks up where Revenge of the Sith left off, and shows us a Vader new to the chains of his suit and new master. In this comic series we see him build his Sith lightsaber, we see him pilot his Jedi Starfighter repainted as a Sith Starfighter, we see him hunt down and destroy the jedi Knights, and we see him lead the Sith Inquisitors. Issues 20-25, the last story of the series, show Vader building his castle on Mustafar. This story arc was, to me, gripping and compelling. What i thought would be a story about construction became a tale of immortality, the nature of the Sith and the Force, Destiny, and a portrayal at Vader I have never seen before. I hope others are as excited to dive into it as I am.

I also want to point out something that may seem confusing. This is not the only comic published by Marvel with the title "Darth Vader." (I know right?) in 2014, Marvel published a comic series also called Darth Vader and this also ran for 25 issues. The 2014 comic was set immediately after A New Hope, and the storyline dovetailed with the story line of their ongoing Star Wars comic series. The 2014 Darth Vader run is collected in a signal oversized hardback if anyone is interested.

Any comic, story, cartoon, happy meal, whatever, is all on the table for discussion! Or none of it. Just show up and enjoy some really cool people talk The Warz.

MTFBWY
    Jammies

18. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Looks like I'll be there for Vader discussion. Yay!

19. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Sweet !

No. Wait.

Wizard!

20. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Looking forward to tomorrow night. So much SW to discuss in addition to our Vader talk. New Galaxy Edge/Batuu/Black Spire comics and books coming. An Alphabet Squadron comic in addition to the book. SW Resistance. SW Celebration. SW Cruises. SW concerts. Something for everyone. Come on out!

Yoda_Jammies and Relin like this.
  21. Lord_Zannah

Lord_Zannah Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Hey Gang,
    Deep apologies for not showing up. I was really pumped about seeing everyone, and this ..... "itchy scratchy thing" showed up in my throat. Not wanting to pass around the wealth, I took the high road and kept it at bay. Not feeling much too good today either, but I'll live. So far as a topic for book club, I'll be happy as a lark with what you all choose. I just want to see everyone again.

Oh, we'll be at ConNooga if anyone is going.
    All the love guys.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  22. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    (Huh. The Title still says 2017)

What Up my Gungans!

Had a great time at last week’s Book Club! I hope you all did too!

Super excited for the rest of the year novel-wise as well.

I wanted to put this post out today, to publish the reads for the next 3 meetings- as well as to continue the discussion we had for what to read for October and December.

For our April Book Club, we discussed reading Queen’s Shadow by E.K. Johnson. This book is about Padme, has the queen on the cover of the book, and I read today that Cat Tabor will be doing the audiobook version. Ms. Tabor was the voice of Padme in the Clone Wars cartoon. This book will be released on March 5th.

For June Book Club, we decided on Master and Apprentice by Claudia Gray. This book will cover the life and times of Qui-Gon and his youthful apprentice Obi-Wan. This book will be released on April 16.

For August, we decided on Alphabet Squadron by Alexander M. Freed. Presumably, the book will be about fighter pilots of a rebel squadron with a wide complement of A,B,X,Y, and Sith only knows what other letters. Mika added that the novel will have a companion comic book featuring TIE pilots. Sounds good to me. That book comes out June 4th.

Anyone reading this who hasn't joined us yet for our bi-monthly look into the literary Galaxy Far Far Away, consider yourself invited! All are welcome, and you don't even have to read the book! We meet at the Barnes and Nobel coffee shop on the first monday of that month unless otherwise mentioned right here on the boards.

Join us!

It was my recollection that we had several ideas for October and December, and hadn’t nailed them down yet (and with a new movie, and presumably new novels, that may not be a bad thing).

Some thoughts we had: The new Zahn book Thrawn: Treason, any Zahn book so we can share with the author that we read his books when he comes to see us this Spring, the new Disney theme park themed novels for Galaxy’s Edge, A biography of the maker himself George Lucas, the mystery episode 9 tie in book, and I still pushed for excellent legends book Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindar by Matthew Stover.

Good job gang!

MTFBWY
    Jammies

jedimika likes this.
  23. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Just a bump:
    Queen’s Shadow by E.K. Johnson will be out in the wild tomorrow. Early reviews are heeping a lot of praise on this novel about young Padme after the events of the Battle of Naboo, but well before the start of the Clone Wars. But, who cares about the reviews of strangers? Share your review with the cool peeps of the LGA at our Book Club this April.
    MTFBWY
    Jammies

PS: Book club is the coolest club! Even cooler than KanjiKlub!!

24. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    Tell that to KanjiKlub!!

jedimika likes this.
  25. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Queen's Shadow has been downloaded and I'll start it as soon as I finish my current (non Star Wars) Chuck Wendig book :D