main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Count Von Count > Count Dooku. One, two, three. Three film trilogies, AH-AH-AH.

2. Palpatine is the true protagonist of the Prequels and for me he is the best Star Wars character

Anakin's Daddy likes this.
  3. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    Rogue One is as bland as the other Disney SW films, and if it weren't for the "badass" Vader scene no one would rank it nearly as high.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    No one? Chirrut, K2, Baze, Battle of Scarif, Eadu, Jedha, Saw. Plenty of stuff for people to like.
    Best of the Disney era movies imo. Up there with ROTS, just below the OT.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The badass Vader scene doesn’t even rank on why I love Rogue One.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's a fine scene, if a bit fan servicey

Deliveranze, BlackRanger and Sarge like this.
  7. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Honestly felt RO was kinda bland plot-wise. It's beautiful-looking, feels like a spiritual successor to George Lucas compared to TFA, and the last half hour is very stunning.

However, some of the character development was rushed to me, and some of the smaller skirmishes on Jedha and Eadu were hard for me to get invested in. Also didn't like Saw Gererra's /the Partisan's role.

However, hopefully the TV show can flesh out Cassian better.

8. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Count Donuts light saber fighting style is stupid and impractical. It's a wonder he won any fight

9. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    I think it's at least partially because Lucas wanted to try and have Christopher Lee do at least some of his own fights, and A) Lee is a trained fencer and B) he wasn't really in good shape or condition to do the more acrobatic and physical stuff anyway. I think it suited his characterisation as this sort of affable nobleman but it definitely stood out for better or worse.

Sarge and Howard Hand like this.
  10. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    And he was usually replaced by a stunt double with a CGI Christopher Lee head pasted on anyway.

Howard Hand likes this.
  11. dg1995

dg1995 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 4, 2019
    Human Jabba is better than Slug Jabba. At least that actor in the deleted scene of episode 4 acted more like a crime lord than the slug jabba.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Darth Smurf and Tython Awakening like this.
  12. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I think you meant slug lol.

dg1995 likes this.
  13. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    Hearing Harrison Ford call Jabba "a wonderful human being" might have been what made Lucas to want to reshoot the docking bay scene with an alien Jabba: adding an amusing touch of irony in keeping with Ford's portrayal of Han.

Sarge likes this.
  14. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    As entertaining as the scene was, I don't think it fits into the saga at all. It was the one thing I didn't like about RO. I realize they were trying to show Vader fighting as stylized as Anakin or Obi-wan from the prequels but this is just before his final battle with Obi-wan and there is such a stark difference between the two that it stands out too much.

At least with the gap between the prequels and the original trilogy you could say that time and injuries took their toll, but Vader was shown going through Rebels like a lightsaber through butter and that was mere days (weeks?) before his confrontation with Obi-wan.

15. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Agree completely. Also, Jyn effin Erso.

Also, love your signature. I got TTT, JAT, HOT, JJK, YJK, NJO, DNT, LOTF, FOTJ... but what is DET?

Emperor Ferus and eko32eko7 like this.
  16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Dark Empire trilogy

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There were two different things that Han says, when the conversation ends. The other version ends with Han saying that he'll pay him back, not because he has to, but because it would be his pleasure to do so. Lucas just kept the version that he liked due to the irony.

Tython Awakening and BlackRanger like this.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    But those were two completely different tactical situations. In one, he was facing a horde of peons, none of whom was any real threat to him, and his task was to get through them as fast as possible to intercept the data. Later, he was up against one very dangerous individual, one who had defeated him soundly and left him for dead the last time they met, and he was in no hurry to go anywhere or do anything. It makes sense that his fighting style would be much more cautious in the second case.

19. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    And I think even Obi-Wan's goal was different than before. He had intended to get back to the ship, but once he realized Vader was waiting for him, he knew he needed to hold off Vader as long as possible to give the others a chance to escape.

RolandofGilead, KyleKartan and Sarge like this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yes indeed, it was a delaying action. The more time Obi-wan spent talking and cautiously moving around just out of striking range, the better for him. And Vader lacked the sense of urgency to end the duel quickly and get back to his duty, so it was a very lengthy, careful engagement. Both of them knew that one wrong move could end it, and neither one wanted to make a fatal error, so their moves were extremely tentative.

KyleKartan and PCCViking like this.
  21. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    The way he fights in RO versus how he fights in ROTS are entirely dissimilar.

RolandofGilead likes this.
  22. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I don’t like it when Jedi use two lightsabers or when they use them backwards like Ashoka. It looks flashy and cool but I find it makes no sense practically and I find it stupid. Anyone else feel this?

Lord Sith Harloxzz likes this.
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    [​IMG]

That's me with a sword in each hand. If you work at it, it can be a very effective style, and a lot of fun.

As for reverse grip, I've made a little use of that with knives, but only in certain circumstances, and I never found any effective use for reverse grip with any kind of sword.

BlackRanger and heels1785 like this.
  24. BlackRanger

Apr 14, 2018
    A smaller sword can also be used in the left hand for parrying as well as thrusting. Such a sword is called a "main gauche" in Western swordplay, but Japanese samurai also have this type of sword in the wakizashi.

I agree that a reverse grip is likely to be extremely impractical. Though I've no direct experience myself.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Prime Jedi and Sarge like this.
  25. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I don't see how.

[​IMG]

He lets Han jab his finger into his chest while insolently lecturing him, then allows Han to make him look silly by forcing him to spin around to keep track of him as Han walks behind his back. You can see all this visibly irritates Jabba, and he only relaxes when Han offers to pay him extra.

The original scene makes it clear that Han is taking advantage of his indispensability to walk all over Jabba and show he's not afraid. The only thing the updated version changes is that Han literally walks all over Jabba--which I find to actually be quite clever.

[​IMG]

Either way, the scene plays the same way in both versions. Han is intentionally flaunting his power by pushing his luck with Jabba and daring him to do something about it, knowing full well that he won't, and doing it all in full view of Jabba's crew. Whether you think the tail-step went too far or not, you're simply wrong if you think the original scene was only intended to make Jabba look threatening. It wasn't.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Count Yubnub and wobbits like this.