main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars OPEN Elite League Limmie

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Trieste, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
  2. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    IC: Liberty Ann Karr
    Mando'ade
    Visiting Locker Room

"We came to win," Head Coach Mylessa McCloud said as the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers took a knee around her, "we came here to win. Two weeks ago that team out there humiliated us on our home turf. They marched into Six Boroughs and scored 33 points on this defense. There's no disputing it, people, this is the ugliest, fiercest, and most violent rivalry in the sport of Limmie. Because of this game that we play on a yearly basis the powers that be are thinking about changing this sport. They want to make it safer. They want to eliminate the hard hits."

Offensive Coordinator Shady Leroux coughed and cleared her throat. She wasn't thrilled about the Board of Governors even contemplating the idea of making the game safer. Her body had taken an absolute beating in her 14 year career with the league. She knew the price that the Elite League athlete paid but she wouldn't give anything back. After all, she'd given as good as she got.

"Ignore all that," McCloud continued, "we're going to hit them harder than they've ever had before. They're going to be rocked. We're going to draw some penalty kicks and honestly there may be some ejections but if we walk away with a victory it'll be worth it. Expect them to do the same. We're getting the same officiating crew that we had a few weeks ago. Things will be allowed that aren't normally in other games. The expectation is clear: play loose and fast with the rules. Today we are in their house. Time to run them out of it."

"One last thing," Mylessa said, "289 we went 4-5 in the regular season and 2-2 in the conference. We won it all that year in a classic matchup against the Bakura Miners. We can do this again. We have the same record this year. This year, we can make a run for the title. We beat the Mercs in that series in the Semifinal we can do it again this year. I know we have what it takes to go the distance. You know the game. You know the plan we've drawn up. Get ready to throw that out the window once the match starts. Play with heart, play with fire, and most of all, play like your careers mean it because, well, they do. Alright, I'm done talking. Just know that I'm frakking proud of all of you. Every single one of you has a role on this team. You're here because you are meant to be here. Coach Lerouex and Coach Graves have your assignments. Let's win this thing!"

The team, fired up, met briefly with their coordinators before taking to the pitch.

Liberty watched with pride as the team raced past her and into history.

"Think you can catch lightning in a bottle twice?" Liberty asked Mylessa.

"I hope so. We have the roster to go all the way. Whether or not they put it all together is on them. You know, I realized, I must be one of the few Elite League Limmie coaches in the history of the game to head into the playoffs with a losing record and win it all. That says something," Mylessa said.

"Says your ego is getting the better of you," Liberty teased.

"Get out of my locker room!" Mylessa playfully jabbed back as the pair took the pitch to the boos and horrors of Meshl'a Vhetin.

Time to fly.

Time to win.

Tag: @Bardan_Jusik

3. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Iris Copin
    Arcadia Colosseum, O'Pahz, Carratos

"But, don't take too long...the season ends soon." Peggles words rang in her head as she arrived for the last practice before the Conference Semi-Finals. Things have been cold between her and her one time idol. While she was repairing her relationships with her family she had let the relation with her teammate go cold. She entered the locker room everyone getting ready for the day's practice. Leigh was sitting with Else and Seiji lacing up her cleats. Iris looked at her, heart pounding faster and faster.

She needed to find her courage, to finally speak up and say something. Iris didn't want to end the season like this, end it with this rift between her and Leigh. The rookie took a step forward getting closer, than another one keeping her gaze down only looking up every once in a while. She was getting there but, with each step she felt light headed her hands sweating. The few looks she made she could see Leigh smiling joking with her old time linemates her friends for over a decade. She wanted the veteran to look at her like that just once, like she used to.

Her mouth opened to speak but, was cut off by Coach Manx-Sandin bringing their attention to him.

"Alright everyone," he called out, "I wanted to talk to you all about things that have been thrown about. Concussions." There were a few varied reactions, some scoffed and rolled their eyes, unconcerned, others seemed to pause and contemplate. Iris wasn't sure, she'd been playing this sport in its current form since she was a child. Sure in her younger years they played it safe, not allowing hard hits, contact where your feet leave the ground. "Look I know there's a lot being said about it and how to fix it. I don't know what we should do or how to make the game safer or at least not so life ending once you leave it. All I can say is that," he looked down his cybernetic eye seeming to flicker a little, "All I can say is that we play the game we have not the game we want. We have to wait for the rules to change. However if you feel that the current rules are unsafe, or that you've already taken too many hits, feel free to sit out this one. No one will judge you." He passed his hardened but, caring gaze.

The room was silent as everyone seemed to be processing. Iris just made her way over to her stall and started changing into her practice uniform. She'd taken a few hits had a few headaches but, nothing on the level of concussion or at least nothing serious. That didn't mean she'd never been worried or at least that her father wasn't worried for her.

But, Manx-Sandin said it, we play the game we have, not the game we want. This could be Leigh's last game, Iris wanted to play or at least watch it happen.

Practice goes by Iris keeping up her hustle that she'd become known for on team. She never got up the courage to talk with Leigh not that there was much time for it. Coach Manx-Sandin kept them busy. There was a Playoff game against the Smugglers no less to get ready for.

The Colosseum is packed to see this game, to see the Pirates and the Smugglers face off in the playoffs. Iris could feel the weight of them, the presence of the crowd above her. They all came to see what might be Leigh's last game, though Iris hoped it wasn't.

It might also be her last opportunity to talk to her, to heal the rift that came between them. There were only a few minutes before the game started. It was now or never.

Iris got up from her place and walked over to Leigh, her teammate and idol.

"Um…" Iris started looking at her tied up cleats. "Leigh," finally she was able to bring her eyes up to look at the veteran. She found a face not pleased flanked on either side by her old friends. There was no time for hesitation. "Could I talk with you?"

"What's there to talk about Little Copin?" There was a cold edge to her words more icy than a winter morning.

"I'm…" The gaze of Else and Seiji bored into her watching interrogating her every move. "I am not a replacement for you...I will never replace you. You are a legend, a master of the field. If I could be half the player you are I would be happy. I follow you and look up to you not because I can't walk on my own but, because I chose to follow. I took what my father taught me and applied them to my dream...of playing with you. This has been hands down the best year of my life despite it all. I got to play with you. To share the field with the player I admired and looked up to for most of my life and will continue to until my last breath. Even now as you are retiring I look up to you, I see the skill, the power that you had when you first started. Your name will always be remembered by me, by this team, and by the fans. I will never replace you...no one can take your place...no one can erase your legacy."

The room had quieted to near silence while Iris spoke, she didn't notice this until she stopped speaking. Suddenly aware of the attention directed at her Iris's face became flushed, a light pink across her cheeks showing her embarrassment like a signal flare.

Off somewhere in the room someone Serica maybe, started clapping. Then others, and others, until the room was filled with the sound of applause. Much to her credit Iris didn't run away, as tempted as she was.

She looked around everyone, from the starters to the reserves were clapping even Coach Sabah and Manx-Sandin, with a grin on his face joined in. The ovation continued until the announcer called the Pirates. They walked out an unbroken line Iris following behind Leigh, as she always had.

The game was rough, as it usually is for the Smugglers and Pirates. More than a few hard hits no concussions called though, that was a lucky thing though none of the starters sat out. They were going to face this team under the eyes of their home. That was a special thing about this team. It wasn't just a collection of the best players credits could buy. It was the best players this planet could produce, legends that weren't adopted, but, were born on Carratosian soil.

In the end Leigh scored three goals but, it wasn't enough not enough to overcome the Smugglers that came to win. Sabah was stalking up the sidelines glaring daggers at her old foe. There was a moment that Iris felt like the zeltron would have marched across the field and punched Lerouex. Thankfully that didn't happen. Iris didn't get to play in that game and it was fitting, it was Leigh's spotlight, her last game in front of a home crowd chanting her name.

At the end Iris couldn't help herself she rushed the field and wrapped her arms around Leigh pulling her into a hug. It took a moment but, the veteran eventually returned it pulling the young woman closer.

"I'll miss you Leigh."

"I'm not going far…" she said almost shouting into Iris's ear over the sounds of the crowd. "You'll see me again, don't worry Little Copin." Eventually they broke turning arms over each other's shoulders waving to the crowd. It was the end of an era, and the start of a new. Leigh was walking away but, she would never be forgotten.

Iris would make sure of that.

TAG: @Vehn

4. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    IC: Dirxx Horstse

Coruscant

The final buzzer polished off the 18-0 victory over RydonniPrime that ended the season, a game that the Senators had dominated the entirety of. Their much-maligned offense, the butt of anger from certain players on the team in the first two weeks of the season, had put up a respectable total against a determined opponent seeking to make the postseason. The Sens defense pitched a shutout in what was likely goaltender Fam Keth’s greatest game between the pipes in his young career. Keth, whom had been one of the players implicated in the internal hot water early on in the season, had come out of the turmoil to post jaw-dropping numbers the rest of the way. He would eventually parlay it into a Salbukk nod, not bad for a third-round pick whom most teams had passed on given his size and scrappy attitude.

Dirxx knew that the road was still ongoing. They had won their fourth rivalry game of the season after coming into the year on skids both in conference games and in rivalry contests. They had lost six in a row to the Smugglers and won at Six Boroughs. They could never beat the Miners, yet they had found a way to outlast them in overtime. The Mercs had fallen after three or four straight wins in the series. The Monarchs had come around in recent years to make the Core War series tough. The team had accomplished so much, including winning the Commissioner’s Trophy with the just-completed win.

But the road was not over yet, not by a longshot. Firmly entrenched in the GM’s mind was the Conference Finals that would take place in two weeks in the building where he now stood. Their opponent would be either the Miners or the Starkillers, as it turned out, and neither was an easy out. Ralltiirhad made it to the Cup Final the prior season, and the Miners seemed to make it almost every year. Both would be more than up to the challenge to face the upstart Senators, a disquieting notion for the GM as he watched his team accept the Commissioner’s Trophy.

The crowd stayed for the celebration at midfield, as if the team had won a playoff game. The electricity with which the crowd had brought to the game remained as captain D’ana Themyscira held aloft the trophy in her first season as the team leader. She had led her troops with the heart and toughness of a true warrior, something that Leia Adama had not been able to accomplish. Adama had been a game-changer by herself, part of the reason behind winning a comparable Trophy several years earlier with a team most considered to be better than the 292 Senators.

Yet making do with ‘less’ was part of the genius of the young captain. With forward Freya Stormhelm on crutches in the second half of the season, the team had no proven star forwards on their roster. Several players stepped up to score points, among them the DuChaard sisters and a gaggle of late-round draft picks trying to figure out how they meshed together. The defense, missing mainstay Klay Mettews from the prior season and having assistant captain Eddie Munster miss time due to injury, ceded less than 100 points on the entire season. Their ascendance may have been a fluke, but it all came down to the new captain. She had taken it upon herself to better the team – she had accomplished that.

As soon as the celebration ended, it was time to move on to the Finals. The team would likely be favored in their game regardless of their opponent, but it was only a formality on the betting lines. Since Dirxx had retired from the game in 273, the Senators had won only a pair of playoff games, both in Conference Semifinals prior to getting smacked around in the Conference Finals. ’73 was the last time they had made it all the way to the Cup, where they had lost to an upstart team from Ylesia that had not been in the League for over a decade and counting. That bitter pill had become harder to swallow every year as the Sens began to fade into irrelevance and their rivals rose up to win championship after championship. The winless season of ’77, the lack of a clear leader under Christine Gamble, the inconsistency of the Adama captaincy . . . the team had just existed in the intervening years, not great enough to make a push. Even a Commissioner’s Trophy win five or six years earlier seemed unimportant given how badly they had been punished by the Miners in the playoff game.

As he looked at the team, he could not help but wonder if they had much of a chance in the Finals. They resembled the ’62 team, an agglomeration of mismatched talent with few true stars but a lot of hustle. Of course, he had been the captain back then, and one certain HoF Bothan had been overlooking the entire operation.

“Guess we didn’t have much of a chance back then, either,” he said to himself. “But we did it anyways.”

Though he feared the worst in the back of his mind, that his team would be left broken after the Conference Finals, he had to admit that at least they had a chance. It was better than sitting at home once again wondering what if. One chance, no matter how long, was at least a chance to win. Were they going to win? Probably not, if trends changed and their luck ran out. Would their luck run out? Eventually.

But they had a chance. And the GM would take that in a heartbeat.

“Bring it on.”

Runjedirun, Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  5. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    IC Ty Allin

Allin Kitchen Day After the Loss to Bakura
    Twelve hours ago, I wanted to quit everything. After not being able to sleep I’m now standing in front of my pantry. My pantry. A whole freakin’ closet of food. When I was a kid my family could barely afford a few items at a time. There was never more than one shelf of food in our apartment during all the years I lived there. Damn, I’m lucky to have my job.

There’s so many choices I don’t even know what to eat. I go for Ezra’s jar of nut butter and some whole wheat toast. Maybe now that the season is over I should concentrate on losing a few pounds. All those bowls of sugary cereal haven’t done me any good. As I watch my children come downstairs and greedily eat breakfast without care I feel worse than I did after the loss yesterday.

My mind drifts to all the children in the Galaxy who are going to school without breakfast this morning. I had been awake all night pissed off that my season was over. Feeling sorry for myself about the loss. Well feeling sorry for myself was over. I still had work to do. After dropping off these kids I’d head across town to the youth center and find out what I could do to volunteer.

While the kids gather their belongings, I fill two bags with food from our pantry. “Dad, what are you doing? I was going to eat those crackers!” T.J. says when he sees me.

“These crackers have been in this pantry for a month. No one’s even opened the box. I’m taking them to the youth center. Where some hungry kids will blow through the box today,” I say.

“You can give the center my cookies daddy,” Cammie says as she puts a half-eaten container of cookies into one of the bags I’m filling.

Reluctantly I take the cookies out. “Your heart is in the right place. Unfortunately, they don’t take open containers,” I explain. “Tell you what. We can go shopping one day after school and get cookies for the center.”

“Okay,” she says putting her cookies back on the shelf. “How about this can of soup?”

“That’s good,” I say as my spirits lift.

Allin Living Room One Week After the Loss to Bakura
    “Hey dad, you’re not watching Limmie,” T.J. says as he sits next to me on the sofa.

“Nothing left to watch,” I remind him.

“You used to watch all the paly-offs. Even after the Starkillers lost. You weren’t kidding when you said you get tired of Limmie, were you?”

“Just taking time off,” I agree.

“Is this a bad time for me to ask for some credits so I can buy some new shoes for indoor Limmie?”

I laugh out loud. A genuine laugh. “No, how much do you need?”

“Will you throw in lunch for me and Alexa?”

He’s bold I like that. He’s not getting credits for free though. “You making dinner tonight?”

“If you give me enough credits.” We negotiate a fair amount and he heads out the front door.

That afternoon I get a text from Richard Vigo. He asks when is a good time we can talk? I text back Anytime. A reply comes quickly Is now a good time? My heart begins to race. Can he fire me? I spent a ridiculous amount of funds on groceries and sports equipment for children at the center this week. I didn’t want to lose my job. I text back Now is good.

I take my speeder over to Richard’s and he walks me back to his private office. “Don’t worry,” he says. “This isn’t about your job.” It must be obvious how nervous I am.

“Then what’s it about?” I ask still unable to relax.

“I wanted to thank you for not speaking up without speaking to me first. On the concussion issue. I know there had to be temptation to call the press when Nalo made her speech,” he says.

I shake my head. “I didn’t even have the holo on,” I tell him. “Besides, I was much more concerned about our upcoming play-off game,” I half lie. I mean it’s not a total lie. I did spend a lot of time on game prep and coaching. Maybe that family trip on New Year’s Eve could have been put off until after the season officially ended. I didn’t regret it though. Never put off an opportunity to blow something up. Fireworks are fun. I’m thinking about the fireworks, the fear of lighting the fuse, the relief I have all my fingers, the adrenaline as I ran down the beach when I thought the cops were after me.

I realize the whole time I’ve been daydreaming Richard’s been talking. I suddenly realize he’s throwing out ideas he can give to the league. He wants to do what? Remove tackling from the game of Limmie? Are my ears broken?

“Why does everyone want to change Limmie?” I ask.

“Well as an owner of a team. It’s going to cost me a fortune to pay for the medical bills of any player that winds up permanently disabled after a play on the field,” he says. “I can do my own lawyering, I could refuse to pay medical bills. Not only would that be cold hearted. It’s just wrong. You and everyone else who delivers the product that ultimately lines my pockets. It’s my duty to protect you.”

“And my children, if they play I mean.” Suddenly I realize this is a lot bigger than me. How did I overlook that? I don’t want T.J., Ezra, or Cammie to lose consciousness. “Tell me again those things you want to propose to the league,” I say with more interest.

Tag: @Trieste

6. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• ELL announces Thyferra will host Galactic Cup Final, Futures Cup Final, and ELL Season Awards
    • Lokensgaard: “We expect this to another fantastic Final Week. Thyferra has been a mainstay of the LFL, and therefore the extended ELL family, for years, since the beginning of the ELL and we are thrilled to bring limmie’s top events to Thyferra”
    • When asked if the ELL was bringing Final Week to Thyferra because of concussions and the planet’s reputation as a major supplier of bacta: “Really? You went there?”
    • Richard Vigo sends a proposal of rule changes to the league. Proposed rule changes are as follows:
      • Players who attempt to head butt the bolo ball will be assessed a penalty of 15 yards
      • Any player who charges another player head first will be ejected
      • Any player who intentionally throws a bolo ball at the head of another player will be ejected
      • Any time a player takes a hit to the head they will be taken out of the game for their safety and fully evaluated for a concussion before they can be allowed back on the playing field
      • Remove tackling from the game, tackling can be replaced with two hand touch
    TAG: @Jedi Gunny @Runjedirun

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Vehn, Bardan_Jusik, jcgoble3 and 2 others like this.
  7. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    OOC: Well I'm going to be having a rather busy day tomorrow and since I want to make sure to get this in before the week is done, here's your early Limmie Lunacy scores!

"Hi I'm Ken Kitterich with your five by five sports update brought to you by Merr-Sonn, Fill you enemies with primal fear, fill their lungs with fire, Merr-Sonn."

"We're just a step away from crowning a champion in the world of college bolo-ball as Limmie Lunacy concluded ran through the Final Four this week in a pair of games that honestly didn;t excite as much as I thought they would."

"Shut up."

"First in the Bank of the Core Bowl #11 Tiarest stunned #2 The Ord Sabaok University 23 to 14..."

"Kill me, kill me now!"

"Better not say that around here, some Mando is bound to think you're serious."

"The Incom Bowl didn't provide much more excitement..."

"Oh I bet the folks on Bakura were plenty excited by that Tiarest game."

"Please stop."

"... though it was at least a little closer as #8 University of Csilla upset #5 University of Kashyyyk 27 to 22."

"Man two upsets make for an odd finals."

"Which means #8 University of Csilla takes on #11 Tiarest University next weekend in the SoroSuub Bowl!"

"I'm Ken Kitterich and this has been your five by five sports update. I'll be back with you next hour at five after the hour but until then more of the Rancor Pitt, right here on the Fandalorian!"

TAG: no one/everyone

Limmie Lunacy GCAA Championship Game

SoroSuub Bowl: #8 University of Csilla vs. #11 Tiarest University

jcgoble3, Runjedirun and Trieste like this.
  8. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

Bonus potential for Bakura, Coruscant, Mando'ade and Nar Shaddaa. As it should be for the Conference championships!

Conference Finals
    (3) Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at (1) Mando'ade Mercs (5-24)
    (3) Bakura Miners at (1) Coruscant Senators (18-38)

136th Galactic Cup Final
    Thyferra Stadium, Byree Clearing, Thyferra

(1) Mando’ade Mercs vs. (1) Coruscant Senators

TAG: @Bardan_Jusik @Jedi Gunny @Vehn

Vehn likes this.
  9. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

Bonus Potential for Atzerri (28), Thyferra (28), Druckenwell (28) and Concordia (28)

LFL Semifinals
    (4) Concordia Crusaders @ (2) Thyferra Force (18-7)
    (6) Atzerri Bandits @ (1) Druckenwell Marksmen (21-14)

LFL Finals
    (4) Concordia Crusaders VS (6) Atzerri Bandits

Tags: @Bardan_Jusik @Jedi Gunny @galactic-vagabond422 @Vehn

Vehn likes this.
  10. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• ELL confirms receipt of proposals for new rules by Richard Vigo
    • Lokensgaard: “Yes, I’ve seen them. They’ve been referred to the Rules Committee. This is standard procedure for any such proposals. We’re going to study them carefully”
    • HSN analyst: “That’s ELL speak for, ‘We aren’t going to do a darn thing with them and they’ll sit on a shelf gathering dust’”
    TAG: @Runjedirun

11. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Bakura Miners post-game press conference after Solo Conference Final loss
    • Leia Adama: “I’m happy for my former teammates that they’re going to go to the Final. I’ll definitely be rooting for them. Still...it’s tough that I’m not going. That was a goal of mine when I agreed to the trade from Coruscant”
      • On her future on Bakura with her contract expiring: “That’s something for tomorrow. I haven’t even cleaned out my locker yet. I just don’t have the emotional energy to talk about that right now”
    • Head coach Jon Draper: “I can’t believe they did the same frigging thing against us and it still worked,” referencing Coruscant’s “positionless limmie” strategy
      • “We react to what other teams do all of the time. We had every reason to be better against it. We prepared for it this time around”
      • On whether this was a failure of coaching or a failure of effort: “It was a failure of everything. That was a failure of a question”
      • On whether he was going to walk out of this press conference too: “I intend to go back to Bakura, so yes, I am going to use my legs and walk out of this press conference. If you were asking if I was going to leave early, I’m still here answering this question so clearly I missed my opportunity”
      • On why he’s answering so questions so testily: “Why don’t you try losing a Galactic Cup playoff game by almost twice as many points than were scored in your last game and see how happy?”
    • Harle Quinn: “Owww!”
      • When asked why she exclaimed, Quinn explained: “I just pinched myself because this game was so terrible that I clearly had to be having a nightmare. But I’m still here! No fair!”
      • On what more she could have done: “Uhhh...released a pack of wild nerfs into the Coruscant locker room? I tried to get my nerf guy to sell me some, but he said I needed an agricultural license. What is the galaxy coming to?”
    • Horst Penn when asked what went wrong: “I’ve been trying to figure that out. I mean, the players around me kept changing! That was so unfair. Just when I’d get used to one of them, she’d turn into someone else! I thought shapeshifting wasn’t allowed in the ELL”
      • “Because this has been confusing, I typed into my datapad just now, ‘Why did we lose?’ and it says we lost because of ‘Connectivity error.’ That seems like a really depressing reason to lose a playoff game”
      • On whether he’s rooting for Coruscant or Mando’ade in the Final: “You mean I have to pick? Fu’s playing, but then again I don’t like losing to losers so I want Coruscant to win. Oh man. I’m going to have to go find one of those silly animals that makes sports predictions and see who they tell me to root for”
    TAG: @Bardan_Jusik @Jedi Gunny

12. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

IC: The Rancor Pitt

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! From downtown Keldabe, on a clear cool playoff Victory afternooooon. Welcome on into the Rancor Pitt, here on your wave home of the Mando'ade Mercs. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz Baker on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a lot to talk about today."

"WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!"

"I hear ya Justin!"

"Mercs are headed to the finals!"

"That's right, after losing in the conference championship game for the last two years in a row, your Mando'ade Mercs are headed back to the Galactic Cup Finals for the first time since 288, when they won it all against the Stewjon Mets, after a 24 to five dismantling of the Nal Hutta's Moon Strugglers..."

"Don't forget, Crusaders somehow made the LFL finals as well."

"Held the Strugglers to single digits again..."

"Just like the last week of the regular season."

"...in a game that seemed to follow pretty much the same script."

"Yeah, another really complete game from the Mercs who had contributions up and down the lineup..."

"Really want to give a shout out to rookie midfielder Maximus..."

"Rookie of the year finalist."

"...for playing like a proven vet in his first pro playoff experience, which really couldn't come on a bigger stage."

"Chance to go to the Galactic Cup Finals in his first season, and man he really reached out and grabbed it."

"Three points scored, three turnovers, three assists..."

"He was a real triple threat out there."

"And of course the forwards did their thing behind Fu Arock..."

"Still the captain."

"...and the defense played great in front of Stargazer, who herself put in a really solid performance."

"They are peaking at the right time here, but Justin, they have a tough matchup for the championship against the Senators."

"Yeah, they may have held the Strugglers to single digits, but I don;t see them holding down the Sens that way."

"Gave up 18 to them in second to last week of the season, managing only two points themselves."

"Yeah, that was a hard late season loss for the Mercs, and one that is going to be in the back of their minds if things start out slowly for them on the offensive end."

"Which might very well be the case because the Senators defense this season was amazing, allowing only 98 points on the season which was best in the league by a wide margin."

"Their weakness is on the other end though, where they were second to last in points scored..."

"I dunno, Mercs gave up 18 to them..."

"...together that put them tied for second in points differential which is why they were the overall number one seed..."

"They were the overall number one because they beat the Mercs..."

"Yeah, because of the way they played..."

"Just saying, the Mercs tied them for season record."

"Well the Mercs somehow ended up fourth in that department..."

"Points differential?"

"...right. With a plus 16..."

"Compared to a plus 25 for Sens."

"Which was a result of having a midling defense, sixth in the league in points allowed, while being fourth in points scored."

"This is just one of those parity type years where there was no one really dominant team, but a bunch of decent teams..."

"Makes it so weird that the top two seeds made it here to the Cup Finals."

"...which I really think just makes this anyone's game."

TAG: @Vehn @Jedi Gunny

OOC: Down to two, but there can be only one. Good luck Gunny!

13. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC: Alana Kirt
    Bakura Gardens, Salis D’aar, Bakura
    All-Bakura High School Limmie Championship Quarterfinals: vs. Arielle (Ward 6 High)

Alana Kirt had lived through the Bakuran Civil War. She’d been a teenager during most of the fighting, but that only helped it hit home. She’d seen kids--and they really had been kids even if they were older than her--sign up to join the Marines, to go into the counties calling themselves the Maple Flag Republic to fight for the principle that Bakura was indivisible and just because you didn’t like who got elected Prime Minister or what her policies were didn’t mean you had the right to break away from the federal union of counties. Some of those kids hadn’t come back. Some of them had even died in the siege of Nouvelle Orleans, one of the longest military engagements of the entire war.

Alana Kirt was a patriot. (But not a Patriot--those Chandrilans had such a high opinion of themselves. You’d think Mon Mothma was the embodiment of the Light Side of the Force the way they talked about her.) The war had ended before she was old enough to serve and to this day Alana didn’t know what would have happened if the war had still been on when she’d graduated high school. Would she have joined up? Maybe she could have made pilot in the Defense Fleet. She probably could have rocked a pair of aviators hard.

Oh, wait, she didn’t need to join the Fleet do that. The daytime game, capitalizing on prime-time coverage for the All-Bakura Quarterfinals, coupled with a surprising lack of overcast skies meant that she actually needed sunglasses to see the field without squinting. She could probably count on one hand the number of times that it had actually been this bright in Bakura Gardens while she’d been here instead of overcast or raining.

Even though she hadn’t fought in the Civil War, Alana hadn’t forgotten it. There was a memorial to the soldiers (not kids anymore, not once they’d given their lives for their homeworld) from Ojai who had died for the cause of union. She passed it on the way to the market from her house. And some of those soldiers had died kilometers from Ward 6 High School during the Siege of Nouvelle Orleans. Alana didn’t equate the high school students wearing the Magnolia off-white uniforms with their grandparents who may or may not have taken up arms against Alana’s neighbors. That would be unfair.

However, on further consideration, Alana might allow that her game plan today was unnecessarily tough on the opposition.

It was very simple.
    1. Find the ball.
    2. Hit whoever had the ball.
    3. If W6HS still had the ball, have the other midfielder hit them.
    4. Rinse and repeat.
    Oh, and just for kicks, she arranged with the OC to pull an Adama Maneuver (no relation to the limmie family, as it turned out). It was the stratagem that had ended the siege of Nouvelle Orleans by getting starfighters under the city’s shield, adapted for the limmie field. It involved sending the boloball fast and deep into the offensive zone to draw defensive attention while flooding the zone behind the defense’s back with the other players to overwhelm the Magnolias before they knew what hit them. That it produced one of the Beavers’ two goals in the game was, Alana had to admit, immensely satisfying.

It paled in comparison to the fact that the Beavers were working a shutdown against Ward 6. It wasn’t a dinky 5 point shutdown either. It was an undisputed 1 point shutdown. The scrappy Beavers had put this juggernaut into a headlock and weren’t letting go no matter how hard the Magnolias thrashed. Alana knew that they were playing a great team and that, in the words of the great Han Solo, “Don’t get cocky, kid,” but behind her shades she knew that Ward 6 wasn’t winning today. The Beavers were too much for them.

Tomorrow BBC Sports would call it “a virtuoso performance.” Today, Alana just smiled behind her sunglasses as these kids did everything she thought they could.

It didn’t matter who they faced next. The Beavers were rolling now.

TAG: None

Runjedirun, Bardan_Jusik and jcgoble3 like this.
  14. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• ELL season awards honor limmie’s finest
    • Ingbrand Award goes home with Iris Copin, daughter of former Pirates coach
    • In close vote, Rocco Tenten takes home Langann Award as coach of the year
    • Zelena Wiles wins first Duchess Eldin Award for Smugglers in nearly 20 years
    • Dirxx Horstse wins Grames Award for his daring moves to remake the Senators from out-of-the-playoffs to Commissioner’s Trophy winner
    • Tendra Nalo takes home Vigo Award on heels of her retirement announcement
    • Fu Arock wins yet another Salbukk Award
    • Deputy Commissioner Andy Wigast hosts afterparty where he DJs
      • “Fenny--that’s what I call the Commissioner--Fenny was all, ‘No, really Andy. You don’t need to do it, we already have a sponsored afterparty,’ but I was all, ‘It’s Galactic Cup Final week! How can you not have two afterparties? After all, we’ve got plenty of bacta lying around so that’ll cure the hangovers.’ Now am I right or am I right? Glad to know we all agree I’m right”
    TAG: @Bardan_Jusik @galactic-vagabond422 @jcgoble3 @Jedi Gunny @Runjedirun @SWNerd11 @Vehn

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  15. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    IC Ty Allin

T.J. Allin’s 1st Indoor Limmie Game of the Season

Indoor Limmie is held inside a huge auditorium with a turf field. As I go to take a seat in the bleachers I notice there is a group of parents on one side and another group on the other side. This isn’t a division between one team and another. There’s a separate set of bleachers for the opposing team. Their set of bleachers is also clearly divided. Before I can ask why there’s a division or which side I’m supposed to sit on a parent hollers out to me. “Hey, Allin do you support those crazy rules Vigo submitted?”

It doesn’t take me long to realize now what the division is. I do support the rule changes, but I don’t want to get in an argument with a bunch of parents at my son’s game. “I’m just here to watch my son play Limmie,” I say as I take a seat in the middle of the two groups.

Both groups assume I’m taking their side. Several parents try again to get me to speak on the matter. I ignore their remarks and cheer on my son. He’s becoming a hell of a forward. He dominates the game. Some parents from the other team complain he shouldn’t be allowed in this league.

After the game I’m full of excitement. “Junior that was your best performance yet,” I compliment as we walk to my speeder.

T.J. is not so happy. “Dad why are you trying to ruin Limmie?”

“Change can be scary,” I admit. “And let’s make this clear I’m not trying to ruin Limmie. I’m trying to change Limmie. I want players in the future to be able to live a normal healthy life after their career.”

“You got to play and your taking it away from me,” he grumbles.

“I’m not taking anything away. I’m allowing you to pursue a career in Limmie, if you want one. No matter if the game is more violent, the same violent or less violent than when I played.”

“Then why try to change it?” He asks.

“It’s something I think is the right thing to do. Just like I think it’s right to give back to communities with less than us. If I have credits for food I give. If I have the power to help Limmie players live healthier lives I should.”

“So why don’t you tell the other parents what side you’re on?”

“Good question,” I give my kids credit when credit is due. “If I come out and oppose the league publicly the refs might have it out for us next season. Certain teams from planets I’ll leave unnamed, but you can figure them out, will swing twice as hard when they play us next season. In fact, they might do that anyway. Richard’s document alone is probably going to cause a lot of controversy next season. I don’t want to add fuel to the fire. Not yet anyway,” I add.

“Well if you don’t think you're ruining Limmie. You should speak up,” T.J. tells me.

It sounds like a challenge. I hate serious topics. I hate making decisions. I don't feel ready to take on a league that gave me the opportunity to live the lifestyle I have. Instead I say, “You want to go get nerf burgers?”

Tag: Anyone who may be interested.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    jcgoble3 and Trieste like this.
  16. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• HSN Central Scouting releases final rankings for 293 draft class
    HSN Ranked Declared Players

Goalkeepers
    1. Girthussc "Blue" Bludroz (Trandoshan, Female, Goalkeeper, University of Trandosha)
    2. Del Silth (Zabrak, Female, Goalkeeper, University of Euceron)
    Defenders
    1. Backbacca (Wookiee, Male, Defensive Back, University of Kashyyyk)
    2. Won Te (Talz, Male, Half Back, Tanaab A&M)
    3. Silassk (Trandoshan, Male, Corner Back, VCU)
    4. Jenny Wiles (Human, Female, Half Back, VCU)
    5. Filibuster McNutt (Human, Male, Half Back, DTU)
    6. Whitney Lerner (Human, Male, Half Back, University of Ralltiir)
    7. Mic "the Hammer' Spilane (Balosar, Male, Back, Norand University)
    8. Buddy Dyvyd (Human, Male, Corner Back, Bakura Fleet Academy)
    9. Zara Bell'ator (Twi'lek, Female, Half Back, University of Denon)
    10. Kashek “Cash” Toobal (Togruta, Male, Half Back, Coruscant Polytechnic Institute)
    Midfielders
    1. Rakjo (Trandoshan, Male, Midfielder, University of Trandosha)
    2. Claire Daring (Human, Female, Midfielder, Coruscant Polytechnic Institute)
    3. Ootred Ootredssen (Human, Male, Midfielder, Tiarest University)
    4. Ramond Marloe (Rodian, Male, Midfielder, Bar'ton LC [Carratos])
    5. Suzie "the Snake" Friendship (Human, Female, Midfielder, University of Tatooine, Anchorhead)
    Forwards
    1. Grady Owens (Human, Male, Full Forward, Bakura Fleet Academy)
    2. Dirrnar Bos'lik (Bothan, Female, Corner Forward, Bothawui Institute of Technology)
    3. Arnie "Muscles" Neegar (Human, Male, Forward, DTU)
    4. Ling Le (Human [Hapan], Female, Corner Forward, University of Coruscant)
    5. Wayne Hoskins (Human, Male, Forward, The Ord Sabaok University)
    6. Adam Stone (Human, Male, Forward, DTU)
    7. Raquel Flylow (Ithorian, Female, Corner Forward, University of Tatooine, Anchorhead)
    8. Steen Carlton (Human, Male, Forward, Republican University)
    9. Breena Eastwick (Half-Human/Half-Zeltron, Female, Forward, University of Evenvale)
    TAG: @Bardan_Jusik @galactic-vagabond422 @jcgoble3 @Jedi Gunny @Runjedirun @Vehn

Bardan_Jusik and jcgoble3 like this.
  17. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• With season concluded, speculation begins over the fate of Miners with expiring contracts
    • BBC Sports analyst: “The Miners got a good defense performance out of the team--and it shows given that they invested their two draft picks in top prospects. Obviously, this wasn’t the Miner offense we’ve come to expect. I’d imagine that’s where they’re going to put their effort in the coming draft. That’s not a secret”
      • Goalkeeper Marnie Blake viewed as a shoe-in for a new contract
      • Half Back Jangle: “Could go either way”
    • 2/3 of Miner offense on expiring contracts
      • “Angel Sorano has performed admirably. I think she’d be a keeper--if only to prevent her from going home to Carratos”
      • “Peter Tenaada and Goobal have really been overshadowed by Harle Quinn on the Half Forward line. There’s a question as to whether they’re enabling her production or if she’s carrying the line. Both are young, but have been in Quinn’s shadow ever since arriving”
      • The question for the offseason is Leia Adama”
        • “Miners once shipped a conditional draft pick to the Senators to pull one of their players out of the LFL early. I don’t think the Miners have a draft pick to spare in 293 and they’d have to ship one to the Sens if they resign Adama”
        • “We’re talking about a player who will be 37 next season. Sure, she’s done great, but if you’re Quinn Cundertol you’ve got to decide whether Adama is worth the price you’ll pay--both in salary and that pick”
    • “No matter what, the Miners are going to have to shell out for veteran talent. They’ll either have to pay to retain players they have or they’re going to need to get some free agents. They’ve got too many holes this season to just fill them through the draft”
    • Bak10 Commissioner Kerry Trieste on Grady Owens taking the top spot in the forward class and the otherwise dismal showing of Bak10 players in the 293 draft: “We’re very proud of Grady, but it’s just incredible to me that a being so responsible for the success of a team that’s in the GCAA Championship Game is only ranked third in his position”
      • “I’ll be at the draft this year to personally congratulate our players who get selected”
      • “No, I’m not going to lobby the GMs to choose our players. Where would you ever get that idea? Do I seem like the sort of shameless being who would try to do that?”
      • “Stop laughing”
    TAG: @Jedi Gunny

18. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC: Alana Kirt
    Bakura Gardens, Salis D’aar, Bakura
    All-Bakura High School Limmie Championship Semifinal: vs. Yenshay (Arrizza High)

Alana was physically sweating it out. Bakura Gardens wasn’t quite full, but with the Miners’ season over and no more college limmie on world, a lot of attention was now focused on the All-Bakura championship. It was the biggest spotlight yet for the Beavers and it was hard to tell who the crowd liked more.

On the one hand were the upstarts that, as just about every report or media outlet loved pointing out, was “coached by Alana Glencross.” Alana wanted to growl every time she heard it, “Amazing. Every word of what you just said was wrong.”
    1. She wasn’t the coach.
    2. That wasn’t her last name.
    3. She wasn’t using the Force to win (that was impliedt, Alana was pretty sure).
    But on the other hand was Arrizza High from Yenshay County. The school hadn’t even existed 10 years ago and here they were in the All-Bakura Semifinal. That wasn’t what had a large portion of the crowd cheering for them: it was who was playing. Not just who, though, but what species.

For the first time in Alana’s life, she was watching Kurtzen play limmie. Growing up, the Kurtzen were an extinct species. It wasn’t until Falene Trieste had found an old Sith outpost that had been lost to time where Kurtzen had been taken as slave labor that the species had been discovered to still be alive. It had been a miracle: Bakura’s native sentient species was back. The federal government had made assisting the Kurtzen in transitioning back into Bakuran society a priority, which had included building homes, infrastructure, schools, and other social services for them and giving the tribes land.

Arrizza High was one of those schools, named for a famous Kurtzen healer. Interestingly, the opposing team wasn’t entirely made up of Kurtzen. It was actually a mixed species high school, pulling from the nearby community as well as the Kurtzen reservation, so human and Kurtzen kids learned side-by-side in the classroom and played together on the pitch.

Alana admired the Arrizza Eagles: they played like Ojai North did. Today was two teams each playing their game, ramming straight into the other. Whoever wanted it more, whoever worked harder was going to win. This, right here, was a beautiful game. Alana was pretty sure no Mandalorian high school clash, despite what they might call it in their native tongue, would ever make a more beautiful game than this, 30 kids playing their hearts out.

After last week’s tight game, things had opened up. The Eagles were up 16-14 and time was ticking down. The Beavers had been here before. They could win it. Alana knew it.

There was nothing more she could do for them now except for cheer with all her heart. They knew the plays, they knew what to do. The Beavers had moved beyond play-level coaching. They were in the groove as much as Coruscant and Mando’ade, the Galactic Cup finalists.

“Come on!” Alana called encouragingly, cupping her hands around her mouth. “Go go go!”

Alana watched as the Beavers threw themselves against the Eagle defense, which had stiffened up against the opposition assault. Time wasn’t on their side, but Ojai North was going to do it. They’d come too far to lose.

Until they did.

The game was over. Alana ran a hand through her hair. If they’d had one more minute, thirty seconds more, she knew they would have found that goal. After seven consecutive victories, every one a must-win game, the season was over, just one step away from the big one. The emptiness hit her chest like a punch. It was over. It was really over.

As Arrizza celebrated, Alana pulled herself together. She was a coach. She didn’t get to feel sorry for herself, not with a gang of teenagers who had now lost the biggest game of their young lives. She had to help them be their best selves in this tough moment.

“Okay, on your feet. Handshake time,” Alana told those sitting on the benches. “Line it up.” They might not have won, but Alana would be damned if she didn’t help them lose with their heads held high.

Alana and the other coaches shepherded the kids through the postgame handshake, bringing up the rear with the other coaches. They’d received congratulations so many games before and now they were the ones giving them out. “Best of luck in the Final,” she told every member of the Arrizza team. As she’d done in previous handshakes, she spent extra time with the opposing coaches. The head coach was a Kurtzen.

“Great work. Really well done,” Alana congratulated her. “You go get ‘em in the Final. We’ll be rooting for you.”

“They told me I should watch your highlights when we found out we’d be playing you,” the Kurtzen said. “Looks like you were a heck of a player.”

Alana gave a brief smile. “I did okay.”

“See you next year.”

“In the Final this time, all right?” Alana suggested, slapping the coach on the back.

The team headed back to the locker room. In the stands around the locker room tunnel, Ojai North fans, many of them parents and family, had clustered themselves to give their team one final salutation this season. Alana gave a smile and a wave to thank them for their support, including one especially for Niall and Kass.

The locker room was as quiet as a mausoleum. Some players put towels over their heads, in some cases to hide tears. Others had the thousand meter stare that Alana had seen in the faces of ELL players when a game was out of reach or a season over.

“Everybody, listen up,” Davy said. “Last time I’m going to ask this of you this season. Everybody, up here.” This last part was to break some of the players out of their funk and get their eyes on him. “When I started coaching limmie, I had a dream. In that dream, Ojai North won the county championship, something that hadn’t happened in my lifetime. In that dream, we played as a team and every other high school in Watercrest wished, even if only for one day, that they were Beavers. We are so far beyond that dream now. I mean...we blew past that like a month ago. For us to be here, one goal away from the All-Bakura championship game…” Davy wiped tears from his eyes. “...oh Sithspit. I guess what I’m trying to say...what I’m trying to say...is…”

Alana could tell he wasn’t going to get there. This man, who’d spent his days teaching, afternoons coaching and tutoring, nights grading papers, who probably wouldn’t see in 10 or 12 years what Alana had made in just one season with the Miners, who loved this game and these student-athletes, was clearly experiencing a waterfall of emotions that were overwhelming him.

“What we’re saying,” Alana stepped in, “is that we are so proud of you. None of you should feel ashamed. You accomplished more than anyone had ever thought possible. Remember that. Hold onto it. No matter what happens the rest of your life, know that you have the strength to make it. This isn’t just about limmie. It’s about everything. Put in the time, work hard, play the game--even if that game is a job or a relationship--the best you can, and you’re all going to do great things. So everybody on your feet.”

The team hauled themselves up, a season plus worth of weariness beginning to sit on them. “Gather around here,” Alana said, putting her hand out in front of her like they would before the game. “On three, Beavers. One two three.”

“Beavers!”

“That’s right. Now get dressed. We’ve got one more thing to do.”

Breakfast Hashery, outside Bakura Gardens, Salis D’aar, Bakura

“Give us all the waffles you have,” Alana told the server. Every table in the arena district restaurant was packed with Beaver players, coaches, and family members. On the rare night where game night celebrations stretched into the next morning, Alana had come here for a postgame bite.

“Right away,” the server said.

Alana grabbed the server’s arm. “Wait. I worry that what you just heard was, ‘Give us a lot of waffles.’ What I said was, ‘Give us all the waffles you have.’ Do you understand?” The server nodded. “Thank you.”

She looked at the table, which included Davy, his wife and son, Niall, Olivar, and Kass.

“Waffles are for winners,” she informed them, “so we get waffles.”

“Speaking of winners, I had a thought, Ms. Hall of Fame,” Davy said.

“Usually I’m the only one who calls her that,” Niall said.

“He never calls me that,” Alana told her colleague.

“I call her that at least four times a day,” Niall continued.

“Well, I was thinking if you didn’t hate this a lot, maybe we should make that Ms. Assistant Coach,” Davy suggested.

“Ask me after waffles,” Alana said.

“That means yes,” Kass piped up helpfully.

“It means...waffles!” Alana said, changing tack suddenly as a plate was put down in front of her.

“What do you mean you sold all your waffles?” Horst Penn exclaimed at the hostess station. “Can’t you pick more from the waffle tree in the back?”

“Oh thank you Yoda,” Alana said, a fork syrupy waffles halfway to her mouth.

As she settled in to watch Horst vainly try to get waffles, she could tell this was going to be the best loss of her entire career.

jcgoble3, Bardan_Jusik and Runjedirun like this.
  19. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"Hi I'm Ken Kitterich with your five by five sports update brought to you by Merr-Sonn, Fill you enemies with primal fear, fill their lungs with fire, Merr-Sonn."

"Lot's of news out there today regaiding ELL Board of Governor's meetings, safety in the sport of professional and amateur limmie and of course some college news regarding the SEC but first let's get to the score of the GCAA Limmie Championship..."

"Hold on, hold on. I want to hear more about when the Board of Governors meeting is being scheduled."

"And I want to hear more about this SEC announcement."

"And Bardan wants Trieste to sweat it out a bit longer before finding out if a Bak10 team won this season's college title."

"...where. Oh fine. All right. No news yet on when the Board of Governors will be meeting, but rumors abound that it will be sooner rather than later this upcoming off season and that owners will be addressing some of the proposals put forth..."

"Oh please, why even call it limmie anymore if some of those are adopted?"

"They could call it association limmie..."

"What and shorten it to soccer?"

"I get that reference."

"Meanwhile the SEC has announced that next season they will indeed be adding Concord War College out on Concord Dawn as has been widely rumored..."

"Yeah that was a gimmie."

"...along with the Sundari School of Interstellar Relations to the conference."

"The who?"

"Wow, must be like their version of Vanderbilt or Northwestern."

"They've also announced that the Conference will be divided into the Beskar..."

"Oh of course."

"...and Cortosis divisions, and that the winners of each division will play each other in an SEC title game to determine the SEC Championship."

"I am sure I know the answer to this, but what division is KMI going to play in?"

"The Beskar naturally, along with both the new additions."

"Kind of bad form to announce this the week of the Finals though..."

"Yeah, I am sure the GCAA won't be too pleased with that, but what's done is done."

"I heard Bardan meant to do it last week but forgot to include it in his post and so it ended up getting posted now."

"Hey keeps the suspense lasting longer..."

"Unless Trieste just scrolled to the bottom of your post."

"Yeah, didn't think of that."

"Meanwhile in the event that headlined the collegiate weekend, #8 University of Csilla took on #11 University of Tiarest for the GCAA Championship in the SoroSuub Bowl in a game played between two teams playing their best limmie in the tournament. The Champions of the Chiss Athletic Association started out hot, but couldn't keep up as Tiarest poured it on all game long. The Bak10 champs are your winner, by the final score of 27 to 15, congrats to Tiarest University your 292 GCAA Champions."

"I'm Ken Kitterich and this has been your five by five sports update. I'll be back with you next hour at five after the hour but until then more of the Rancor Pitt, right here on the Fandalorian!"

TAG: no one/everyone

Congratulations to the 292 Collegiate Limmie Champions; Tiarest University!

jcgoble3, Trieste and Runjedirun like this.
  20. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Tomas and Von'kedo Vigo announce the birth of their son Emmanuel Indiana "Indy" Vigo
    • Bak10 Commissioner from field level after Tiarest wins the GCAA championship: "We are so proud of this team, these young beings, and what they've done today"
      • Championship marks the 20th anniversary of the Bak10's last champions, the 272 Prytis College of Natural Sciences team that included Falene Trieste
      • "I believe that today's champions will be on future Galactic Cup teams" Trieste predicted
    • Commissioner is oddly overshadowed by the celebrations of her younger sister, Supreme Court Justice, former Miners Chairwoman, and Tiarest Class of '46 alum Regan Eldred, dressed in a Tiarest jersey and GCAA champions hat
      • "This is the third best day of my life. First was my wedding day, second was taking the oath as a Supreme Court Justice"
      • When asked if it surpassed the birth of either of her children: "Have you met my children? Especially Trixie?"
      • "I'm calling it right now--Ootred is going first overall. He's the next star for the Officers"
      • "What am I going to do now? First, rub this in my husband's Golden Bear face for the next decade. Second, get drunker than I ever have in my life, Third, write all the court opinions I've been putting off to watch the playoffs. Probably while drunk"
        • "This plan is flawless"
      • "TIAREST FOREVER!!!!"
    TAG: @Bardan_Jusik @Runjedirun (who asked I share the inspiration for the name)

jcgoble3, Runjedirun and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  21. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Iris "Scarface" Copin
    Iris's Apartment, O'Pahz Carratos

It was another slow morning, the season was over, they'd lost, all that was left to do was wait for the next season to start. She wasn't letting herself go, she kept up her exercise kept herself fighting fit but, there was less of an urgency. It was a nice release after the pressure of the run up to the playoffs and the grind of the season. The sun was starting to rise and all Iris wanted to do was sleep in and take it easy this morning. That was the plan.

Then her datapad buzzed informing her that she had received a message. A long annoyed hum left her throat as she opened a single brown eye to gaze at the electronic device. A light flashed confirming what she already knew. She had a message waiting for her. Still only half awake she looked into the screen opening the message fully intending to glance at it then fall back asleep.

However that didn't happen. The message read:

Iris Lyra Copin, you are cordially invited to the 292 Elite League Limmie Season Awards Ceremony.

There were other things, a time, date, and, location but, what caught her eye was something important.

Dress Code: Black Tie.

"Sith." she said to herself now fully awake. Black Tie, that mean like evening gowns, fancy jackets and frilly shirts. All of which Iris didn't have. She was still wearing what she stuffed into her suitcase when she left, and free shirts given her by the Pirates. She'd been so focused on the season that she never really thought about things that didn't involve getting food. Now she had to find something presentable. This was something she was not the most prepared for and was panicking over just a little bit. She was representing her team, she couldn't just show up in t-shirt and pocketed pants it would cheapen the awards make them just a jock hang out not an august celebration of excellence in the most excellent game. She might be going a little too far but, she couldn't stop these thoughts swirling around in her head.

She picked up her comm and mentally ran through her contacts. Mom, no she wasn't that desperate yet, her sister, no she was much like Iris, not really worried about looking presentable, Peggles, no he's good to talk to but, this was out of his depth. Finally she settled on a person, Zara, her former team captain.

"Hey, long time no talk." the cheery voice answered.

"Zara you have to help me."

"This you're new greeting Scarface? Help me so and so you're my only hope?"

"No I really need your help. I have to find something to wear for the awards ceremony."

"You didn't bring any dresses or suits or something like that? Did you not expect to get nominated for the Ingbrand? Congratulations by the way."

"It wasn't really thinking about that. I was just playing my best."

"You seriously didn't pack any nice clothes for going out?"

"No...now will you help me?" Iris finally asked getting exasperated.

"Of course what friend would I be if I didn't."

"Thanks." In the background the limmie player heard tapping keys. "What are you doing?"

"Looking up places in O'Paz were you can find what we are looking for. It won't be tailored but, I'm seeing a few upscale places that could work."

With some help from her datapad looking up a map of the city Iris was able to find the shop Zara had mentioned. It was nestled in a commercial district with shops for this and that all around and beings walking this way and that. As she was getting closer a voice drew her attention.

"Iris," the voice was unfamiliar and young like a child's. She turned around searching the faces around her not finding who was calling out until they broke through the crowd, a young human girl with red hair and green eyes. "Iris...it's really you." The girl seemed to be bursting with energy, just like she was at that age. It took the girl awhile to form coherent words but, from what Iris could make out she was acting out one of the limmie player's highlights. "And you were like Boom, and the defender was like ahh." Iris didn't know what to do other than smile and laugh a little.

"Kat, Kat." A older voice called out, "Kat what got your…" A teenaged boy with messy blonde hair walked closer but stopped when he realized who his charge was talking to. "Sith."

"I told you it was her Bennie." the little girl turned to the young man who was looking a little stunned. Iris smiled a little more looking down at the little girl seeing so much of herself, recalling the stories her mother told her of her meetings with Leigh.

"I take it you're a limmie fan?" she asked looking down.

"She's crazy about it, and you." the teen said as Kat was having a little bit of a meltdown. "Watched every game this season, she was always cheering you on."

"What about you?" Iris asked innocently.

He coughed and ran his fingers through his hair.

"Well, I mean, I'm a Pirates' fan through and through our whole family is. I want to get the Arcadia Skull tattooed on my arm but, my parents keep saying no."

"You're her…" Iris continued pointing at the other man around her age but, they couldn't be more different.

"Her uncle, keeping an eye on her while her parents are out." He chuckled to himself, "Never thought I'd meet a celebrity just walking around."

"I wouldn't really call myself that." Iris replied looking away.

"I think getting stopped by people in the streets makes you a celebrity. I know you are one to Kat…" he trailed off looking in the distance.

"Well, at least I have one fan." Kat was smiling up at Iris nodding her head vigorously.

The limmie player knelt down holding up her hand.

"High five?"

Without hesitation Kat slapped her hand against Iris and nearly squealed. Bennie checked his chrono before smiling.

Iris got to her feet still grinning.

"I'll see you next season."

"Uh...Yeah."

Iris turned around and walked away getting back to her task at hand finding something to wear for the awards ceremony.

"I hope you win the Ingbrand…" Bennie called out, "You deserve it."

"He sounds cute." Zara's voice intruded reminding Iris that she still had an open line with her friend back home.

A slight blush came to Iris's cheeks.

"Stop it." She snapped at the Twi'lek.

"Oh that's right Peggles, is your guy." the way she said the nickname of Iris's other friend made the limmie player blush even more, out of embarrassment really.

"Stop it we're not like that."

"I say again does he know that? I think you might want to put him out of his misery. Come on take pity on the poor man."

"How would you know anything." Iris continued walking into the store trying to distract herself.

"Well, I might have looked him up when the school year started. He goes to UD, I've talked to him a couple of times. And even with that I can tell that he's carrying a torch for you."

"You're just reading too much into it, he's just a good friend."

"Ok, we'll put that to the side for now." Zara said with a long sigh, "What are we looking at."

Iris swapped the conversation over to her datapad, which had a camera so she could show her friend parsecs away what she was looking at. Zara made a few suggestions which Iris took with only a few vetoes. It was nice getting to hangout with her friend without the pressure of having to get to bed, or get prepped for the game. Though there was the stress of picking out the perfect dress for the occasion of possibly winning rookie of the year.

After a few tries and at least one light argument over the color of the dress, Zara wanting a more dark purple rather than the straight black Iris preferred, they finally settled on a dress, black with some sliver accents. Zara thought it was wholly uncreative and basic but, in the end it was Iris's choice, she chose to represent her team, the team that signed her right out of secondary, that put her on the field in her first year, that let her live out her dream of playing with her idol in the last year that would be possible.

She moved to the counter to paid for the dress and shoes to match. The young bothan woman at the register looked up a sudden realization.

"You're Iris Copin right?" she asked

"Yeah."

"Can I get a holo?" the bothan pulled out a small holo-camera.

Iris smiled and nodded giving her best smile. The cashier took three including one where she shared the holo with the star rookie.

"Have to prove that I actually met you." she said

It was a nail biting, stomach knotting night. Her coach and her idol were in the running and failed to win. What about her. Iris bit her lip waiting. Her datapad which she brought with her chimed not loud enough to distract but enough to get her attention. It was a simple message but, it was enough to nearly bring her to tears before even know if she won or not.

It was from her father,

'I'm watching you, I love you'

It would be creepy if it was from anyone else, but, it was all she wanted from her father.

The Ingbrand award came up Iris held her breath.

"And the award goes to...Iris Copin."

Iris couldn't believe it, in her first year and she already got noticed, she thought she would be in the shadow of the legend she was following. It still stung that Leigh didn't win anything for her last year. These thoughts faded from her mind as she climbed the steps up to the stage. She took the trophy with a beaming smile a tear forming in the pit of her eye.

A slight unbelieving chuckle echoed across the room.

"Well," she started wiping her eye, "It's been a big year for me. This is just the cap on it I guess. I got to live out my dream of playing with my idol, the reason I wanted to join the ELL and the Pirates. I got to do this right out of school, a huge risk by the GM but, if this is any indication," she gestured to the award in her hand. "It was worth the risk, I was worth the risk. I hope this is just the first step in my career. I know it's corny but, mom, dad, sis, I love you."

Her piece said she took her seat still smiling still a few tears in her eyes. She'd done it she'd made a mark even in her first year in the sport she loved. She hoped it was just the start.

TAG: No one

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  22. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    IC: Dirxx Horstse

Coruscant

Playing for a Conference title was a level the Senators had reached in previous seasons, but only once – in 273 – had made it to the Big Game. Against a Bakura squad that had nearly outlasted them in an overtime period only weeks earlier and whom was helmed by a former Senator captain, the road to reach the Finals looked long. It was a testament to the strength of the Miners franchise as it was a sad look at the inability of prior Senator teams to seal their ticket to the Final that placed so much scrutiny on the shoulders of the home team.

Their path during the season had been clear – to hold opponents to as few points as possible to help out a struggling offense. Though Euceron had found a way the prior season to allow fewer points during an entire season, what the Senators had done on the defensive side of the ball could not be overstated. After losing mainstay half back Klay Mettews to retirement and dealing with a myriad of injuries to starters like Eddie Munster, the defenders had rallied around each other to keep stonewalling opponents. Rookie Tipa Sabur had started several games down the stretch to plug in the hole at half back, while second-year pro Greco Trachia, a forgotten pick from the 292 First Round, had demonstrated his ability in whatever role the coaching staff needed him in. Jerr Tatheny, whom had fought through some ankle issues, had been more than a simple replacement for Mettews as she had shown her skills during her first year in an expanded role.

But none of it had been done without the coaching staff behind them. Senator legend Shayt Contar, whose nephew Wahay played corner back for the team, had instilled a hard-hitting philosophy that had been a mainstay of the former defense she had helped anchor during the 260s. “The Wall”, as they were monikered, had been a fearsome unit, and Contar had brought that with her. Half backs coach Evis Kunat and defensive backs coach Christine Gamble had locked their players in mentally to perform at a high level.

When the game started, the Senators kept in a standard alignment to avoid the Miners becoming suspicious of their intentions. The ‘positionless’ scheme they had rolled out against the Miners weeks before had been in response to Leia Adama’s knowledge of the team’s offensive concepts and personnel, but it quit being effective five minutes into the match. They had outlasted the Miners in overtime in that game, but the jig seemed to have been up.

But it wasn’t. The Senators used the scheme again and again to wear down the Miners, best players against best players. Nothing was made easy on defense, and the players knuckled down when they could focus on what was ahead of them at all times. Switches abounded as the team kept its motion fluid and ensured that nothing would get past them. When shots came, some went in, and others were stopped at the entrance by the ‘bouncer’ like bad characters at a club.

On offense, the team finally found its groove without injured star forward Freya Stormhelm. Aliix Obechen had his best game as a pro, finally showing off the skills that had made him a first-round pick two years prior. The other forwards on the team also chipped in where necessary, throwing passes, picking defenders, and ensuring that the ball kept moving. It was a system that had been a long time coming but had not been executed right. It was a thing of beauty given the circumstances, and the players fed off the energy of the frenzied crowd.

When the game ended, many of the players rushed to the center of the field to celebrate their championship. Rocco Tenten, who would end up winning the Langann Award later, was bathed with a huge vat of Gundarkade, the Chagrian visibly shaken by the cold beverage.

Yet it was Christine Gamble whom seemed the most shocked. She fell to her knees and cupped her hands in front of her mouth as she finally understood that she was going to make it to the Finals. She had never made it as a player, and would now get the chance to coach in the big game. Stormhelm was there to share in the joy as she stood on crutches, both longtime players finally winning a conference title despite not playing. It was the kind of stage that defeated Miner Adama would obviously wish she had been on the other sideline for, Dirxx mused, but he had made the trade anyways. Would Adama have made them win a Commissioner’s Trophy? No one knew. All he did know was that his team was going to Thyferra to play for a Galactic Cup.

When the Conference title trophy was brought out to midfield, it was presented to the entire team as the fans stood and applauded. They had seen so many teams fold in the playoffs, unable to make the final push to the Finals. But this team had the guts to push their way in, their youth and inexperience making them a longshot but their hustle making them conference champions. Whatever would happen in the Finals, they had made it this far, and for that the GM was proud. They had proven even him wrong.

Some champions felt that touching the conference trophy would bring bad luck to the big game. It had played itself out many times over the years, but not in others. There was no conversation to be had – the trophy was to be touched. Captain D’ana Themyscira raised it high over her head as the crowd went wild, the first-year leader reveling in her glory. The team and fans had suffered so many dismal playoff defeats in the past two decades that having the opportunity to finally lift a conference trophy was too good to pass up.

The Hapan then handed the trophy not to an assistant captain, but to Gamble. The former corner back finally got her moment in the sun with the trophy, hugging it close to herself like a bear. The emotion on her face was real, that of a player who had finally climbed the mountain even after so many years of trying but failing. She had coached the defensive backs well during her few seasons on the job, and that in a small part had led to this ceremony.

The trophy went around to the other players, who wished to hold it in their hands. If they jinxed themselves, they didn’t really care. The Finals were yet to come, as were the Mercs. It would be a tough game, and the odds of them losing seemed very possible. But they had already long since surpassed their goals for the season – losing in the Finals would bring them no shame. No one had expected this sort of run, not so soon after a dysfunctional season, and while a Cup trophy would be the ultimate prize, they did not turn down their chance to celebrate the trophy they had just won.

“”If they win the title, I’m going to have more titles win than you,” Dirxx commented to the wily Bothan sitting just a few seats away. “3 to 2.”

But Gark just snickered. “You wouldn’t have won those titles if it wasn’t for me. You still owe me a few for launching your career.”

“Frak off,” Dirxx said jokingly. He had no pretense that the Senators would win the Finals. The Mercs were much better than they were on every level, Fu Arock an unstoppable force ready to devour the Sens on the second time around. But the Senators had already shown their grit and their toughness.

All the Besalisk wanted now was for them to play their best and show that they were a franchise to watch for years to come. A loss would sting, but it would be to a worthy opponent.

If they do their best and play hard, they will do all of Coruscant proud. And that’s something worth playing for.

TAG: @Trieste , @Bardan_Jusik (let's do this!)

Bardan_Jusik, Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  23. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

Bonus Potential for Atzerri (28) and Concordia (33)

LFL Finals
    (4) Concordia Crusaders VS (6) Atzerri Bandits (12-17)

Congratulations to the Atzerri Bandits the 292 Limmie Futures League Champions!

Tags @Bardan_Jusik @galactic-vagabond422

OOC: I was supposed to post this last night, I know, I was out lateish with my family. I did think about it when I got home, but the next time I thought about it was this AM, oh well!

Trieste likes this.
  24. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

Bonus potential to both Coruscant and Mando'ade, as it should be!

136th Galactic Cup Final

(1) Mando’ade Mercs vs. (1) Coruscant Senators (11-8)

Congratulations to the Mando'ade Mercs , the 292 Galactic Cup of Limmie champions!

Vehn and jcgoble3 like this.
  25. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    College Award Winners

Ruy Gey Award for Best Goalkeeper:
    Del Silth (Zabrak, Female, Goalkeeper, University of Euceron)

Grazo Award for Best Corner or Full Back:
    Silassk (Trandoshan, Male, Corner Back, VCU)

Outlandi Award for Best Interior Defender:
    Won Te (Talz, Male, Half Back, Tanaab A&M)

Batkis Award for Best Midfielder:
    Rakjo (Trandoshan, Male, Midfielder, University of Trandosha)

Bulitnekoff Award for Best Corner or Full Forward:
    Dirrnar Bos'lik (Bothan, Female, Corner Forward, Bothawui Institute of Technology)

Lombardee Award for Best Interior Forward:
    Arnie "Muscles" Neegar (Human, Male, Forward, DTU)

Myxwell Award for Best Offensive Player:
    Dirrnar Bos'lik (Bothan, Female, Corner Forward, Bothawui Institute of Technology)

Remmiton Award for Best Defensive Player:
    Jenny Wiles (Human, Female, Half Back, VCU)

Helmsman Finalists:
    Jenny Wiles (Human, Female, Half Back, VCU)
    Rakjo (Trandoshan, Male, Midfielder, University of Trandosha)
    Girthussc "Blue" Bludroz (Trandoshan, Female, Goalkeeper, University of Trandosha)

Helmsman Winner:

TAG: Everyone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.