main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~*~Favorites of FanFic Festival Social and Questions Thread~*~ Survey! We want YOUR opinions

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Jan 22, 2019.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Hello!
    *mav waves*

This is the place to socialize and ask questions about the Favorites of FanFic Festival. (If you don't know what the heck we are talking about, see the Favorites of FanFic Festival 2018 post.) But like normal, there are a few rules.

Man, those mods always have rules.

• TOS, as always, applies. (But you knew that already, didn't you?)

• Absolutely NO negative comments.
      • If you don't agree with the story someone posted/don't think it fits the category, keep it to yourself.

• Absolutely YES to thanking people for putting forth your story. (You may also do this in your story thread, but you can only do that once, so if your story gets put forth again for another category and you've already thanked in your story thread, you may not do it again.)

• This isn't the general social thread, please keep non-FanFic Festival chatter to a minimum.
      • Role playing as your screen name at a FanFic Fest is allowed. Creativity as to what the Fest would look like and how people should dress is encouraged. Have fun! If you would like to make little skits a la the awards, that is fine too.

• Please no asking for people to put forth your stories, nor 'woe is me, my stories aren't being put forth' type posts. We know there is a bit of popularity to this type of thing, we've tried to get rid of as much of it as possible, but we can't get rid of it entirely. We know it sucks to not have your work recognised. It is NOT a testament to your abilities as a writer. Don't get discouraged. Instead, jump in and recognise someone you think might be in the same boat!

And now, let's have some fun!

You walk out of a mist and a booth greets you that is decorated with multi-color balloons and says "Welcome to the Favorites of FanFic Festival!" Handwritten down below it says "Is it Favorite or Favourite??" Written below that is "Have we gone too far with the alliteration? Nawww... not possible."

2. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Post in case we need it for something.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Findswoman and AzureAngel2 like this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    This looks FUN! :D [:D] Genius talent recognition! [face_party]

Findswoman , AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.
  4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    IT'S FAVOURITE! Do you Americans know how crazy I went trying to make sure I was consistent in the spelling? Well, okay, yes, I was already crazy, but that's not the point.

The alliteration gets even better once I call it what I want to call it :p OKAY, okay... I'll behave... mostly.

5. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Let's just agree to disagree about the correct spelling of favorite. :p:D

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] I know by my AutoCorrect that favorite and color are correct, but favourite and colour look somehow classy. (I also like the way to pronounch schedule like the British do.) [face_mischief]

7. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, Favourite!! Americans have butchered the English language long enough. We should fix that here as we can, obviously. [face_mischief]

This looks awesome so far, that said! Huzzah for this most fabulous festival of favourite fan fics! :D [face_dancing] [face_party]

8. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    "It's quiet...too quiet...oh 'ello, balloons!

Interesting idea. Reviewers are back!"

*Steps back and looks at banner*

"Mm, that should say 'Favourites'."

9. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm excited people are excited about this! :D

I just wanted to let everyone know I stickied the rules thread at the top of the forum for now, that way it's easy to find as you are planning the stories to submit. Once the Festival starts it will be un-stickied.

10. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Ah ha! I like the looks of this and think we can have some real fun with it—always love a chance for us to recognize good writing talent and celebrate our favo(u)rite stories of the past year. :D

I've started a little list based on the categories posted (and right now it's still a very little list). I'm still making up my mind about whether I want to take the approach of posting my choices publicly or sending them in via PM. Anyone have any thoughts or advice one way or the other? Thanks in advance. :)

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL I also have a little list of standout fics that I believe fit the categories. :D I believe I will be sending my picks in via PM. One thing I'm very pleased to see again is the "Reviewer" category. @};-

AzureAngel2, Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  12. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    I have a couple of questions:
    • For “Favorite Story in Its Genre”, are we allowed to give more than one genre, for example “Favorite Romance” And “Favorite Humor”, or do we need to pick one genre?
    • For “Favorite Author in (Era)”, are we allowed to list someone who’s won “Best Author” in that category?

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    There are certainly pros to each approach, which is why we decided to give people the option. I'd say try it both ways and see which one you like more. Just because you start out posting or PMing doesn't mean you are committed to doing it that way for the rest of the festival.

Yes, if you want to pick two stories for that category, they can be completely different genres. (IE "My favourite romance was title here. My favourite humour was different story here."_
    Yes.

14. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    So using fic characters to introduce my selection is fine?

15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yes, just make sure if you do, your selection is made clear from the in-character stuff.

16. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    A few more questions that have come to mind as I've been putting together my list:

1. As in previous Awardses (!), is there a limit on how many times you can nominate the same story and/or author over the course of the festival? (I didn't see anything about that in the rules, so I'm guessing no?)

2. How to handle drabble threads and the groups of drabbles within them? Can you have a nomination be something like, say, "chapter 5 of UserPerson's 'DrabbleRama'"? Or for things like character categories, something like "Ree-Yees in chapter 5 of UserPerson's 'DrabbleRama'"?

3. For "Favorite Ensemble Cast," I take it we should probably specify who/what the ensemble is? E.g., "the crew of the Rusty Hinge in 'Awesome Adventure Story X'"?

ETA 4. Can our two choices in a given category be two different stories by the same author, or do they have to be by different authors?

Thanks so much! Looking forward to this. :)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Remember, this isn't really awards. We want to encourage a diverse selection of favourites, but no, there's no limit as to how many times a author/story can be submitted. There's just no fair way to limit this and remain sane.

Of course, we will use common sense - if someone is submitting the same story or over and over so much so that it is noticeable, we may send a PM.

Yeah, that's fine. Just link to the post the drabble is in.

You can, but you don't have to.

Again, we want to encourage diversity but yes, you can.

18. TheRynJedi

TheRynJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 20, 2018
    In looking over the category list... I realise I really haven't taken time to really read that many stories besides the ones for the couple of challenges I've participated in and voted on. But I also have only been around here for about 6 months, lol. Now I want to go read a bunch, but won't have much time the next few weeks :(

19. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    You’ll have a (hopefully) big list to choose from as this festive progresses/at the end. But also, we’ll be going in order so if you want to read some that might fit into the categories that come a bit later, you have quite a bit of time.

But also you can, of course, submit stories you read already. Challenge stories count just as much as anything else.

20. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Just a reminder that we'll start this Sunday, February 17th with all four Storyline categories

21. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    A little tiny question about the main FFFoF thread: are "PM sent"-type posts OK there, or would you really prefer only posts listing category favorites? Just checking as I think over which approach to take. :)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    No. We'd really just prefer only listing favourites there. Plus, the point of the PM option is to truly remain anonymous. If we only get one PM, people will kinda be able to figure out who it was. (We won't say we only got 1 pm but if there's only like 1 or 2 favourites listed, it will be rather obvious ).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  23. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Can we mention that we sent a PM if we're not super worried about remaining anonymous but wanted to do things that way? Asking for a friend with really obvious and predictable taste. :p

pronker and Findswoman like this.
  24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    You can, but you (or them) should do so here in the social thread, not the actual festival thread. Remember, Mav and I have to through that thread and collect everything up for the index, so we really don't want to be scrolling through a bunch of "PM sent" posts.

Findswoman , pronker and Kahara like this.
  25. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    It's completely understandable to want a nice, clean thread devoted to favorites.@};-
    Lame question alert: How would a PM giving only 1 or 2 favorites be transparent as to its originator, when the favorites get listed?[face_coffee]

Findswoman and Kahara like this.