main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    What the **** is this ****? Can we stop using Twitter as a news platform?

SuperWatto likes this.
  2. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Gotta respect a "what the **** is this ****" post.

Juliet316 and Fire_Ice_Death like this.
  3. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Hey, now that the JC auto-censors, I'm gonna make good use of it.

SuperWatto likes this.
  4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  5. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Hell yeah i'm here for this ****ing ****

also at Vivec - this is... exactly what we need not to happen.

6. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    With all due respect how is the fact that Jussie Smollett may have lied bigger than this particular isolated case? Are we supposed to keep on believing people who come forward are liars until proven truthful? How well has that worked throughout American history? How many people have not received justice based on that thinking?

The collective right wing spin barely holding in their exuberant joy on Twitter over this is telling particularly since they never cared what happened to Smollett.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  7. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    A lot of people were ready to use what allegedly happened to Smollet as gotchas towards their online political opponents on Twitter. Nobody actually cared to begin with.

Lordban likes this.
  8. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    When people lie/stage attacks against themselves, that only hurts those who are really attacked.

Rew, solojones, Outsourced and 4 others like this.
  9. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Disturbing, if true. OTOH, gay POC tend to have their stories of abuse disbelieved/disregarded. So I dunno. We’ll see...

Speaking of disregarded, for the second time in 18 months, a gay black male has been found dead at the home of a wealthy white Democratic donor, amidst allegations of illegal drug use. LA county has (again) declined to press charges, citing insufficient evidence. Again.

Abadacus, Ava G., solojones and 4 others like this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Corporatist Democrats have their own issues with racism which are as close to the issues the Republicans have, without calling tiki-torch carrying white supremacists “very fine people.”

Colin Kaepernick won, the NFL lost

According to Bleacher Report, Kaepernick’s lawyer mentioned the Panthers as a team who could sign him, as they just signed Eric Reid to a three-year contract.

I love David Tepper.

11. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Reading the article about Ed Buck pisses me off, but one comment truly disturbed me. "This guy is starting to feel like serial killer material. I wonder how many as yet undiscovered bodies he left buried back in Arizona?" They might want to start checking back there.

12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  13. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

Pretty much this. As well as those who may end up being falsely accused of a crime they didn't commit.

PCCViking likes this.
  14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    11-year-old kid refuses to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance, gets arrested.

A student at the Lawton Chiles Middle Academy in Lakeland, Florida was arrested after he refused to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance. The incident began after a substitute teacher asked the 11-year-old to stand and he refused, explaining that he thought the U.S. flag was racist. The teacher then apparently got into a contentious argument with the boy and asked “Why if it was so bad here he did not go to another place to live,” according to a statement the teacher gave to the district. “They brought me here,” the boy replied.

The teacher apparently then thought that the best course of action was to continue arguing with the 11-year-old. “Well you can always go back,” she said she replied, “because I came here from Cuba and the day I feel I’m not welcome here anymore I would find another place to live.” The teacher decided to escalate the issue “because I did not want to continue dealing with him.” The boy was then arrested after he “refused to follow multiple commands, repeatedly called school leaders racist and was disruptive,” according to Bay News 9. The student denied accusations that he threatened to beat the teacher. He was ultimately charged with disruption of a school facility and resisting an officer without violence, reports the Washington Post.

Freedom of expression unless you're black and refusing to support a stupid hyper-nationalist ritual.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    You know freedom of speech is dead when an 11-year-old kid is being arrested for refusing to say the pledge. This is an act straight out of the totalitarian nationalist playbook.

My son is 11. If he were to get arrested for refusing to say the pledge or any other act that is not illegal and should not be illegal in a democracy, the school system would hear from my lawyer.

16. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    He was lucky he wasn't shot.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

17. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    At that age was about when I stopped saying the pledge. No one gave a ****. Dread to think what would have happened had I been black.

18. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I don't think any of you understand. Totalitarian states and communist nations force their youth, against their will, to cite daily oaths of loyalty to their corrupt and vile leadership.

In America, our youth gladly participate, as part of required civic duties, to declare their pledges of allegiance to the government, to remind them of their personal liberties and freedoms.

Besides, as any good conservative knows, the Pledge of Allegiance was created by the Founding Fathers and enshrined within the US Constitution.

19. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I mean that skepticism should never happen when survivors come forward. Even if this was a lie it isn’t evidence of mass false accusations

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Their trauma is why a victim's word should never be dismissed out of hand. That there are such things as false reports is why, nevertheless, the accused must remain innocent until proven guilty.

Rew, Jedi Merkurian and gezvader28 like this.
  21. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Is this unreasonable? There is legitimately and unquestionably inflammatory rhetoric in play from the Trump administration on a variety of subjects. Steven Miller was on television today comparing Mexican immigrants to international terrorism by ISIS. Descriptions of people of African descent have similarly been pretty consistently demeaning and hostile, whether in Trump's "very fine" Neo-Nazi pro-Confederate protestors or Steve King's lamentation for white supremacy not being more well-respected. When something happens in the aftermath of increasingly inflammatory rhetoric I don't see how it's that wild or inappropriate to connect the two.

By contrast, hiring people to stage an attack on one's self is deeply weird and over-complicated. That wouldn't be my first suspicion at all. I don't think it would or should be anyone's.

I also don't see where the whole discussion about "guilty until proven innocent" make sense. No specific individuals were accused. Someone said something happened to them. Fine. You don't have to assume some terrible ulterior motive on the part of people that took him at his word. Nor does a single liar really imply more than that one individual being deeply troubled.

22. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Fundamental human rights principle when going to court (which a case of assault may very well do).

23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Sure. But it only applies when if a specific individual is actually accused.

The idea is not to abstractly doubt the account of someone claiming to have been wronged. Like if someone is mudered one wouldn’t cute that principle and say “but are they really dead though.”

24. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Really not like that at all. When someone is found dead without explanation, to stay on the murdered parallel, an inquiry into causes of death is at the very least made (the murder may or may not be obvious), and then an investigation is launched, which may or may not turn out a suspect or act on a witness reporting a suspect. Nobody, however, is going to pretend at any point that the dead person isn't dead (there might be a problem about identification, these things also happen).

However, once a suspect is brought to court, be it for murder or for assault, there are a modicum of rules and principles, including the human right protecting a person's innocence until they've been found guilty (even if, in some cases, allows for intimate conviction to replace proof; and even then, there are first and last resort systems to avoid judicial errors, which do occur).

Why am I insisting on that principle? A question of perspective. I've grown up in a country which remembered, in living memory, how things went when "guilty until proven innocent" became the principle. It was open season, and false denunciations happened literally by the hundreds of thousands.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    gezvader28 likes this.
  25. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    "deeply weird and overcomplicated" words I wouldn't be using for "staging a hoax to further ones career." Maybe if I sraged a hoax about how black people attacked me and it created a discussion online about how violent blacks are you'd see why staging a hoax is bad. In fact, you know why I get pissed off about the 'terrorist threat eliminated before they could attack" **** I see on the news. Cause I know it's the FBI goading someone into something and then arresting them. And that hoax plays into effect and makes things harder for brown people like myself. So yeah, maybe this is "weird and overcomplicated" but it's also literally lying for him to further his career.