main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Star Wars: The Old Republic Discussion Thread [Mod Approved]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Master Kenobiwan, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    https://torf.mmo-fashion.com/

2. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Considering the gap between posts I probably won't get a reply for a while but has anyone else noticed that there has been an influx of players recently?

3. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    Yes I have noticed it since mid January. I can only speak for the Star Forge and Tulak Hord servers. Most of them are F2P players, but I did run in to a couple of old members I had not seen since I had stopped the first time. They are also now Preferred members, using their old characters, which I am using a different class and species this time around, well since September of 2017.

4. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I returned a few months ago. Haven't played since 2013. Played KOTOR 1 and 2 on XBox One then got pulled back into SWTOR. Dont remember why I stopped playing but its definitely changed and seems even better now.

5. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    Single player, yes, but its MMO ain't good. They went the single player route instead of the MMO on the expansions. Some good content, but not really anything new for the MMO side of the game. I stopped in 2012, then came back in 2016, subscribed for 3 months then just decided to be a preferred member, as the MMO really was not worth it to subscribe, as most of the old groups and guild members are no longer there, and I already got the gear and what not I wanted from the Cartel Market so no point in me to subscribe anymore.

6. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Is anyone still playing this? I only started three weeks ago and I'm loving it! Playing as a Jedi Knight as a F2P member, probably only going to do the Class stories for free and then if I'm still enjoy it after getting to end game I'll sub.

Be nice to add some people from here to do the Heroic quests with.

7. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Yep yep yep, and there's been a recent influx since it just arrived on Steam.

Def play through a few class stories first b/c the way BioWare made the expansions is similar to Mass Effect 2/3 where peeps from your past can pop up in fun ways (if you ever played those).

Once you finish JK my reco is Imperial Agent.

BRE likes this.
  8. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    I haven't, but I plan to go through them eventually. I'd also like to go through KotoR 1 and 2.

Sure, I'll add you!

9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

A new Kotor is happenning!

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    huge expansion goes into place today for TOR, "legacy of the sith." new storylines, planet, new flashpoints, standard stuff.

the big change is that buffs are now automated and characters can use weapons and abilities that are not class-locked (i.e. jedi can use force lightning now). they're still force-based and tech-based, so your trooper can't use force lightning, but the unlocking of these abilities is now based on gameplay/dialogue choice paths.

it's been years since i played this game, but i'm thinking about giving it a go.

11. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    I've been waiting for that expansion for a while to pick TOR back up. I'm not getting back into EU roleplay, though; once was enough.

heels1785 likes this.
  12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    new expansion cinematic:

every cinematic i've ever seen for this game has been incredible, going back 10 years. if they can somehow work the character of malgus into films, he's got the look of an iconic villain.

13. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    That was remarkably twisted.

I like it [face_mischief]

Ghost and heels1785 like this.
  14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    i don't know for sure, but it seems like malgus is working on his own/outside of the sith, at this point - similar to maul before he dueled sidious and was forced back in line.

the tor lore is so wild, they're the only "legends" canon storyline that is ongoing and can basically do whatever the hell they want.

wobbits, LloydChristmas and Lordban like this.
  15. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Its writers certainly have had a lot of fun with it, and to be honest, I've rather liked what they came up with. It's actually some players that turned me off the game...

heels1785 likes this.
  16. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I'm not a gamer but that was so cool. I'd love to see these stories in a series, not just for video games.

Lordban and heels1785 like this.
  17. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Some of those stories are, indeed, movie worthy.

heels1785 and wobbits like this.
  18. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    This era is so much more interesting to me. Are they pulling the storylines from somewhere? Comics? Novels?

heels1785 likes this.
  19. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I haven't gotten into any of the SOR games of the past; mainly because these MMOs require subscription fees and a commitment and also because my PC likely couldn't handle the graphics anyway. That trailer is certainly intriguing; to say the least. It'd be cool to play as a female Twi'lek Force User; and I guess a Sith in this case.

heels1785 likes this.
  20. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    The Old Republic is actually accessible Free to play for the base game, and a one-month sub is enough to unlock its expansions. I'll grant that it's quite a bit less comfortable to play without a sub, but it isn't unplayable, and if you're here for the story, it's enough - the class stories are well worth the price of 0.

wobbits and heels1785 like this.
  21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    ahsoka, there are many awesome lead female characters in TOR. the jedi grandmaster of this era, satele shan, is among them.

you may also like this trailer - it's older, from around the start of the game's life, but still holds up - satele is wielding the double-blade, facing off against malgus (who was then a sith lord):

Ahsoka's Tano, wobbits and Lordban like this.
  22. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Also, all class stories are playable with either gender and fully voiced-over.

heels1785 likes this.
  23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    yes. and fully voiced is really what sets tor apart from most of the the mmo genre, but it's so important for immersion.

Lordban likes this.
  24. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Didn't see that earlier, sorry.

Good question. A lot of old Legends material made its way into their content, but in the present case, I'd say it's TOR that spawned novels, and not the other way around. A couple of Legends novels actually set up the storylines that were written for the original game.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
    wobbits likes this.
  25. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    It's still about playability with me regarding PC requirements. If the base game were available as free-to-play on consoles like the PS4, it'd be a no-brainer for me. A few years ago I actually bought Final Fantasy XIV for the PS4 that came with a 30 day subscription. I enjoyed it, but just couldn't commit myself to playing so much where a monthly subscription would be applicable.