main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST ST Criticism Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jun 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    That in itself doesn`t make a good story to me. I can take any movie that works and re-do, just having individual scenes end differently now. The likelyhood will be high that this new movie sucks because there was probably a good reason why the scenes were the way they were in the original.

To me TLJ is just interested in being faux-smart and meta and patting its own back. The ratio of destruction vs. rebuilding of mythological concepts and archetypes is so out of whack, it is a complete failure to me. It reminds me of those newbie hurt/comfort fanfics where someone writes 800 pages of ridiculously overblown hurt and a paragraph of "there, there" comfort and doesn`t see why that`s not working.

Yeah, sure, destroy the core characters and story people have been fans of for decades but give them unrelated side stories which may or may not be to their liking to make up for the damage? Who in their right mind would think that could ever work?

You wouldn`t burn down someone`s house and think giving them a bicycle would make that okay.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Chémus, Oryx-I, ami-padme and 12 others like this.
  2. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    But the way it leads to those outcomes makes no sense at all. That's the problem.

3. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    At this point, episode 9 should end with a Rey and Kylo wedding - and it would be the Red Wedding from Game of Thrones. Even I might pay money to see Kylo`s head sewn on a direwolf`s body. I mean, it would copy something popular and it would be unexpected. What`s not to like?

ami-padme, 11-4D, wobbits and 8 others like this.
  4. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Two things - absolutely nobody anywhere that I recall called TFA “new,” and TFA has the benefit of introducing wonderful, likable new heroes that had different characterizations from the OT3. The closest mirroring was Rey to Luke and Anakin, definitely, but she still felt fresh. She didn’t have character-based scenes outright stolen from Luke or Anakin in ANH or TPM.

Stealing stuff from the OT and slapping a new ending on it isn’t appealing to me, nor is it creative. That’s the kind of thing fanfic writers do. I don’t wanna see new characters imitate Luke and Vader only faux-Vader this time survives redemption. It doesn’t fit the stories of these new characters introduced in TFA. They’ve been contorted to obsessively tow the line of that “vision” (by vision, again, I mean theft). They deserved their own story.

Chémus, Aiel, 11-4D and 12 others like this.
  5. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I just wanted to chime in briefly on the topic of familiarity and I did so. I’ll be off again now since any time I’ve spent an extended amount of time in this thread it hasn’t ended great.

Perhaps I’ll see you on the IX boards!?

godisawesome and AhsokaSolo like this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I want to get to your earlier numbered points when I’m not on my phone in my car.

7. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I pop in over there. If Reylo doesn’t happen, there’s a 99% chance I’ll see IX. If Reylo happens, the likelihood is zero... I suppose unless JJ throws a massive curveball and I can’t resist Finn or Leia or Luke’s stories by themselves for some reason. Though if Reylo happens, I can’t imagine Leia being used for anything but to prop them, so that one is exceedingly doubtful, and really they all are. I’m optimistic for now. JJ’s emphasis has been where I want it so far - on the heroes.

8. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Again, much as is the case with Mark Hamill and his discontent with TLJ, acting like Ben Burtt hasn't been alienated from Lucasfilm is really nothing more than ignoring reality:

Of course Burtt isn't going to discourage his son from working at one of the most prestigious sound divisions in the film industry. The fact that he hasn't encouraged his son to torpedo his own career is absolutely not evidence against the fact that Burtt isn't exactly pleased with the current state of Lucasfilm.

It isn't hard to read between the lines. Ben Burtt was a powerful holdover from the Lucas regime who was accustomed to having a certain level of control over the creative process, and Disney/LFL decided they didn't want to deal with that. The only real alternative is that Ben Burtt is majorly withholding the truth about something he did to piss someone off, like insulting Bob Iger's wife at a dinner party. Disney/LFL's decision to apparently not even ask freakin' Ben Burtt to oversee the sound design on a Star Wars movie is otherwise completely inexplicable.

I for one don't have a problem "casting judgment from my keyboard" when the most likely answer is incredibly obvious. We might as well withhold our judgment as to why Rick McCallum didn't return.

Chémus, Oryx-I, ami-padme and 8 others like this.
  9. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Avatar is infamous for its plagiarism of Pocahontas. People can be sensitive with words all they want, but that is exactly what that example was. I don't know why you mentioned James Cameron, I am not a crazy fan of his work, and I think that the Titanic is a pretty average movie. However he has directed T2 and Aliens, two of the best movies ever made.

10. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think if the ST were meant to be a “remake” of the OT in all but name, then Rey would be a Skywalker/Solo, Kylo would pretty clearly just remain a villain without any confusion there, Luke would have been more traditionally Kenobi-esque as a mentor focused on giving Rey training and an education instead of hijacking the story to star in it, Finn would have had far more compelling storylines in TLJ, and all the attempted obfuscation and faux-ambiguity of TLJ would never have happened (so say goodbye to Poe’s storyline or the Canto Bight stuff.)

The fact that a good chunk of critics can see a more conventional sequel to TFA succeeding without nearly as much controversy as TLJ had shows that, on at least some level, LFL and Disney saw TLJ as NOT being a remake film, and one where the artistic risks were going outside the safe zone in search of reinvigorating the whole story.

TFA could be argued as a film designed to be poured into the same mold as the OT in the hopes of making safe money. TLJ can’t be regarded as that, since the repurpose was to break the mold with it.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I liked Titanic well enough, aside from the whole notion of “Why the hell didn’t Rose sell that diamond?”, which never made sense.

Onto this...

1. I could see that working. I didn’t have as big a problem with Luke in TLJ as some did.

2. I don’t think Luke needed to see things Vader’s way. Vader was wrong. And he eventually came to the realization that he was wrong. Not all points of view are valid or worth consideration.

3. It wouldn’t work, because irrational attraction is not enough. In order for two people to come together and make the relationship work, they need a common moral compass, not just feelings.

4. I could go either way on that one.

5. I think communication issues can create good suspense.

6. I’m not into philosophy-bound navel-gazing stories so I’d pass on that.

7. That could be interesting but the story needs to take a hard line on right and wrong, with the hero’s interpretation being the undebatable correct one.

8. That’s not too far off from what we ended up with. I think the ending—Vader throwing Palpatine down the reactor—would have been the same.

9. It...wouldn’t have been ROTJ. Luke wouldn’t be the hero.

10. That’s essentially the way Obi-Wan saw himself in the OT, despite the fact that Anakin’s turn wasn’t his fault.

11. ROTJ would have been somewhat different.

12. You mean Jabba’s Palace? That would have really messed up ROTJ.

13. I’m not sure of the comparison you’re making here, but the bottom line is that Rey caring about Kylo took some of us out of the story from the outset.

14. That could work if done well.

12. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    So would you consider Tarantino a plagiarist? Or De Palma? I'm simply trying to determine if you're going to apply this uniformly to essentially all directors. Plagiarism is a rather heavy word to level at the majority of directors.

13. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    The essential quality of plagiarism is that the plagiarist claims another person's work is their own. So from legalistic perspective, I'd say no, the ST is not plagiarism because it is blatantly obvious that it copies the OT and JJ and RJ have not outright claimed it doesn't. However, I agree that sometimes in interviews they convey a degree of arrogance and unfounded belief in their own novelty that does resemble the mentality of a plagiarist. For example, compare their attitude to Ron Howard's, and you can see the difference.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They stole their ideas from me. Does than mean I get to sue them?!

godisawesome and Glitterstimm like this.
  15. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    Actually, it's the other way around. ;)

godisawesome likes this.
  16. TheDutchman

TheDutchman Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2015
    I would bet the farm this is about as close to what really happened to drive GL out of Episode 7 as any other theory.

17. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    I read endless Twitter comments about how TLJ reset and expanded or revitalized the SW saga but I have never seen any explanation that makes any sense to me. What new is brought to the table in TLJ? If we're being charitable, it's a remix with a lousy beat. I keep reading "oh, the SW movies needed to be freshened, changed, burned down" but what new thing is brought to the table in any of these movies? Deconstruction isn't new. Remaking Hoth with red dust isn't new. A Jedi being run through and disappearing isn't new either. But I have to read how it's the most Jedi thing evah! until I'm blue in the face.

Chémus, ami-padme, Aiel and 12 others like this.
  18. TheDutchman

TheDutchman Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2015
    Oscar Isaac is most likely crying because they are filming in a real desert. Is that the FO Sail Barge set i see there in the background?

19. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Not remake in the direct sense since these are requels (remakes doubling as sequels). So while effectively picking up where ROTS left off in many ways once they regressed the story from an actual sequel standpoint (Empire in charge, Rebels on the run, Ren is Vader, Rey is Luke, Luke is Obi-Wan/Yoda, Snoke is Sidious) it also has to have some differences since the previous 3 movies did happen from their perspective in some kind of way. Not one that really lines up with what came before since the progression of Luke, Leia and Han as well as the rest of the galaxy doesn't follow a logical course from ROTJ. The Jedi, the Sith and the Force as seen in these movies doesn't line up with what we know from Lucas' movies, ie training isn't really necessary, the Light side and Dark side relationship is shifted to a different paradigm where essentially choice is lost. Rey simply is Light and controlled by that side while Ren is Dark and has no choice in what he does (as he is a monster) yet for Rey the Light is the quick and easy path while for Ren he's trained for years and years and he still isn't where he should be yet.

Nothing at all of any worth of value. It's just a lot of hollow talk not backed up in story. It's like praising TLJ for breaking down Luke then bringing him "back" except that it all happened to him decades ago already. What actually expanded the story from it's original presentation in the OT was first the PT then TCW. This was Lucas' thought for his ST stories which would further go into the creation myth that he touched upon with the Mortis and Yoda arcs.

20. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    They wanted to show that they had the guts to mess with something valuable.

21. GDGJ

GDGJ Jedi Master star 1

Aug 29, 2016
    This is one of the most annoying things that I cannot understand. How can these people not understand that when they take away the choice from the main characters they immediately make the setting less interesting?

22. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Because not everyone consumes these stories the same way. Why don't you understand that you don't get to dictate what is or isn't interesting?

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    People aren’t all going to find the same types of stories interesting, but Johnson knew he was being divisive. There is recognizing that there is no way to make everyone happy, and then there is deliberately stirring the pot. And I see nothing beneficial about taking the attitude that ‘you’re just old’ towards people who don’t want the OT heroes dirtied up just to try to invoke more sympathy for Kylo Ren.

Oryx-I, ami-padme, Abadacus and 12 others like this.
  24. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Huh?

25. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    Which again brings me to his superiors. Imagine if the Louvre administrators decided to "shake things up" and let a teenage grafitti artist spray on the Mona Lisa, then exhibit it, and scold the visitors for being upset. Would something like that make sense? This is cinematic equivalent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.