main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Future Anthology Films Possibly On Hold

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Chiznuk , Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    most of them by one offs i think, But shows like Mandalorian and Cassian could go for 3-5 seasons same goes for the Bane show if gets made.

2. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    It depends as its hard to say whether they will want more than 2 or 3 star wars shows going at same time. and they may also want to produce these new shows within the next few years. so if they go 10 episodes of a show, thats like 2 or 3 movies in itself, then they can move on to the next project.

I guess it really comes down the time frame and how quick they wanna make these shows. if you go 3 series with one show, another idea will end up pushed back presumably to not over saturate the brand

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think the Mando and cassian shows can get well along. they want to tell a story of the bounty hunters and gangsters with Mandos that probaly, will change the political landscape of Mandalore. The Cassian show i see going for 3 seasons dealing wityh the early rebellion and might end right at the ring of kafrene.

4. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
  5. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    You know, there's no reason a successful TV show couldn't end up spawning a movie or two as well.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    So with all these TV series rumor flying around, I’m assuming Disney really likes what they are seeing of the Madalorian!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Apperently there might be a 4th show in production besides kenobi. We still have mystery show at large.

8. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Collider owner Marc Fernandez says Guillermo Del Toro was going to direct the Mos Eisley Spaceport movie but it was cancelled after Solo flopped.

2Cleva likes this.
  9. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Mos Eisley spaceport movie? I'm skeptical of that claim.

10. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    MSW reported on it last summer. They said that it may have been the cancelled film that some of the "Star Wars is cancelled!" reports were alluding it, and those same reports may have gotten confused and assumed it meant all forthcoming production was in jeopardy. In all fairness, there's a good possibility that development work has continued without a hitch for Kenobi, albeit with a shifting focus towards Disney+ as a TV series rather than a movie. And the Boba Fett movie has all but confirmed as being replaced with The Mandalorian, so a lot of work that was done for that film (designs, concepts) could have been rolled over into that series.

But if this is to be believed, then it got far enough along that studio space was allotted out for it, and then relinquished after the Great Reshuffling that took place post-Solo.

https://makingstarwars.net/2018/06/rumor-mos-eisley-spaceport-film-postponed-obi-wan-and-fett-live/

IlhamKamaruddin and Darkslayer like this.
  11. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Hmmm, interesting. Seems like such a strange choice for a movie. I still think Disney had a massive overreaction to Solo. No need to just cancel the whole anthology series.

12. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I mostly agree, but on the other hand, if they're simply moving their anthology films to the Disney+ streaming service and reworking them as limited series, not only does that give those stories more room to explore their characters, themes, and narratives, but it also gives the TWO (2) ongoing movie series we have on the horizon room to breath at the box office. I don't think their takeaway was that there's no interest in these kinds of smaller stories, just that there's less room to release Star Wars films any less than a year apart.

13. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Well, I think you just have to temper your expectations. Disney was clearly expecting around 1 billion from Solo, which seems unrealistic. They should have used Marvel as their gauge - the Avengers movies make huge bank, but the solo movies initially were all in that 500-600 m range in Phase 1. I think Solo could have benefited from like 700-800 million expectations, as well as not releasing in such a crowded release window. Lots of mistakes were made, not even with the movie itself, but how it was released.

Rogue One proves these types of movies can be profitable. And it bums me we won't see anything like Rogue One soon - TV shows can be great and all, but we won't get the sheer spectacle RO gave us on the small screen.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  14. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Did they?
    I don't really remember any talk about that. I'd say that it seems more likely that they expected something more in line with 800m or so, with only a slight hope for something Rogue One like.

They did screw up in terms of release date and marketing though.

Darkslayer likes this.
  15. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Well, all 3 of their previous SW movies hit a billion so on the surface it’s not insanely unreasonable to think Solo might.

16. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    True, but that doesn't really mean that Disney actually expected Solo to reach that mark. Your earlier comment suggested that they did, but there isn't really a whole lot that would clarify their expectations one way or the other. You are basically basing your criticism of Disney on what you thought, not on what Disney actually expected, which kind of ruins this particular point of your argument.

17. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Well, I don't know what I expected Solo to make. Prolly not a billion though.

18. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Even if they expected Solo to reach as little as $500-600 million worldwide, it still would have failed to reach that mark. Their market research shows this was primarily down to a godawful release date smack dab in the middle of one of the most stacked box office summers in recent memory, in conjunction with a marketing campaign that both started too late and failed to sell the movie as a "must see."

I do think they got skittish about a few different things, though. For one thing, apart from Rogue One being primarily based around new characters and showing their involvement in an important event we'd heard of but never seen depicted in the films, everything we heard indicated that subsequent standalone films would have been more similar to Solo, and focused on known characters. The trades frequently mentioned that ideas in development included films based on the likes Obi-Wan, Boba Fett, Jabba the Hutt, and Yoda. Apart from the fan enthusiasm for an Obi-Wan film, much of which I think has to do with an overall desire to see McGregor in the lead role, I think the others would have been subject to similar pre-release skepticism: "Is this film necessary?" "I have no interest in a film about a recast [Insert character]." "But not knowing their backstory is part of what made them interesting!" Etc. etc. etc.

I don't think the standalone films were ever going to be the place that bold new stories were told about new characters that explored new corners of the galaxy; that seems to be the role that Johnson's trilogy and Benioff & Weiss' series will fulfill. And so, if the future standalone films were going to explore individual characters' backstories like Solo did, I don't blame them for rethinking their strategy for telling those stories, especially considering it wasn't just the reception the film received at launch, but the very vocal skepticism it received from the moment it was announced all the way up to release.

Compare that to the reception the Cassian Andor series received when it was announced: "Oh wow, cool, more of Diego Luna's character! Rebel spy stories, that's cool, hopefully K2 is in it!" In contrast, if it had been announced as a movie, I think the reception would have been closer to "...huh? Why? Is this necessary?" Overall, I think Disney+ is the safer place for these kinds of stories to be told, and it'll allow for greater story diversity for fans to enjoy without risking brand over-saturation or dwindling interest in the franchise from the general audience.

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Exactly, well said.

I love Rogue One... it's my second favorite SW film. But it had a relatively open December release date and heavy marketing... very different from Solo. Also, it was event-based, not character-based, and as noted above all of the other potential Anthology movies were to be character-based. People love the Kenobi character, especially fans who want to see McGregor in the role again between the PT and OT timeframe. But as I said earlier, I'm pretty sure that the kind of stats Disney cares about would be about which characters are the favorites of regular viewers, and I bet Solo would come out well above Kenobi on most of those lists (especially if you can work Chewbacca in there too). So... character-based movie on really popular character does not do well means that other character-based movies on less popular characters would do the same at best, and probably worse. That's the logic, regardless of marketing or release date.

But as noted above, all of the factors change when you move those same stories to being series on a streaming platform instead of being theatrical movies. The rumored Boba Fett movie effectively became The Mandalorian, Cassian's series is confirmed, etc. If Kenobi gets anything, it'll be a series, and if Solo gets a sequel it will also be a series.

20. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I believe you're right that it doesn't make sense for one bad movie to impact so much.

However if they had multiple movies that underperformed to varying degrees as well as not had the merchandise sales they anticipated and if they felt there was an issue with the fans - that's the combo of issues that would prompt hitting the brakes and cancelling/changing projects.

Darkslayer likes this.
  21. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Regarding the whole “how could one movie have so much impact” thing, it starts from one movie but it’s not that simple. I think @PymParticles ’s and my posts above address that pretty well.

PymParticles likes this.
  22. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    And a fith and sixth, and etc. Bring it on star wars Those are the faces I feal at the same time.^:)^:eek:[face_dancing][face_party]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Interesting thoughts, both of you. I only keep talking about this because Star Wars is cinematic at its core - and I just think movies are simply a superior form of entertainment to TV. TCW is really the only exception to that I can think of, at least, for me.

24. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    The way i see keep going big and epic conflics and battles. the smaller ones on tv.

25. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Thanks! And I agree with you on the “cinematic at its core” point, and also on movies being superior to TV.

PymParticles and Darkslayer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.