main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme's Meadow Picnic Dress v4.0

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by MiraxTHorn, Aug 6, 2006.

1. TomWildRose

TomWildRose Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2016
    kay_dee--thanks for explaining the circle-skirt construction. I was thinking of commercial patterns, which already have the waistlines cut, so no wonder I was confused! Your method makes sense, and I'll definitely try it if I decide to make my skirt that full.

afaeryschild--WOW, your skirt embroidery pattern is AMAZING! Virtual cookies AND root beer for you! Thanks, too, for posting the links for materials. Very helpful. :D

spacelady and teamhansolo like this.
  2. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Would this thread be the right place for me to brag that the other day, just for the heck of it, I grabbed a couple of hair ties, some yellow yarn, and a crochet hook, and made myself the hair thingies.

I wasn't going for anything super accurate, just trying to capture the general look.

But now that I've seen some pictures, I may have to try again.

spacelady and teamhansolo like this.
  3. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Not sure how many of you are still around, but after years of researching this, I'm finally taking a stab at this dress for a client. I knew it would take a long time, but yikes. I'm on my third or fourth month of working on this project. This layer of the skirt has three yards and the second layer also has three. As soon as I'm done chain stitching, I'll be adding the splotches of yellow and pink on the second layer, but it's incredibly sheer. I can see my hand completely when I put it under the two, so my client has requested a third layer. I'm thinking I'll dye that layer this yellow/tan color and put in the middle.

Oh, and once I'm done with this costume, I'm swearing it off for the rest of my life... 8-} Never again...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Kato Sai and Adalia-Durron like this.
  4. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    It's totally dead over here, but I'm updating anyway! I've finished the picnic gown. I've logged well over two hundred hours on it! 8-} I did all my chain stitching by hand, but I got lucky and found some five flower appliqué from Amazon that I chain stitched on and around the border. The corset embroidery was done on the machine and I appliquéd the roses from the cape. The cape came out too light, but I was really at a loss how to get it darker. I put it through several dye baths and at one point, used a whole bottle of tan and yellow. The pink and yellow splotches on the underskirt, in reverse, came out a little too vivid, but I kind of liked it that way! More of the color was peeking through the top layer and I thought it was actually really pretty. It's not too noticeable though! Oh! And the crinkle chiffon shrunk quite a bit in the dye bath and after the tension from all of the chain stitching, so I ended up pulling the whole thing down and adding more fabric to the yoke to make it work. I went over the seam with chain stitching to hide it.

In the end, after logging so many hours and all the supplies adding up over time, I ended up not making any money on this commission. Which is okay, it was for a repeat client who is the best! But I still feel the way I did in my last post. Never again! :p Despite reading through all of these posts in here and the years of researching, I still completely underestimated it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. sxnofthesuns

sxnofthesuns Jedi Padawan

Jun 20, 2021
    This is beautiful!!!

spacelady likes this.
  6. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    Thank you, @sxnofthesuns! Glad to see another person in here! :D I’m working on the Pastel gown and the Blue Tatooine later. Hope to be updating those threads at some point as well! :)

sxnofthesuns likes this.
  7. Taylor Boughton

Taylor Boughton Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2022
    Hello! I just started creating my Padmé picnic dress and was wondering if anyone had any leftover sequins or knew anyone selling sequins I could buy? Thank you! :)

I just have to say everyone is so talented!

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  8. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I have some, not even sure where they are, but its a fair few. Down side, I'm in Australia. ;)

9. Taylor Boughton

Aug 4, 2022
    I’m definitely interested! If you do happen to find them, please let me know. I need around 3,000-4,000 so if you can give me an estimate and pictures that would be lovely! :)

10. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I'll look for them tomorrow @Taylor Boughton - its evening here and I am chilling......in the cold weather :p

11. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Ok, not about to count them

[​IMG]

12. Taylor Boughton

Aug 4, 2022
    Omg I definitely wasn’t expecting that much lol! What’s your quote for 22 grams? (I think that’s around 4,000, please correct me if wrong)

I really appreciate your help! ;)

13. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I'll see what I can do, not sure my scales go down there! LOL I'll PM you .

Measured out 40grams for you..... ;)

14. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Posting today @Taylor Boughton - but you know the post, you probably won't get them for a month!!!

15. Taylor Boughton

Aug 4, 2022
    Thank you so much again! That’s totally fine if I get them within a month! I’m just really happy I managed to get my hands on some sequins! :)

16. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Yeah, not sure they make them anymore, I might have some of the last left on the planet! :eek:

[​IMG]

17. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    I did a quick search of the places I’ve bought sequins from and they do make that shape, and tons of others. In fact, I ordered some for a headband I’m making. :)

18. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Good to know, well she's got them coming now..............for the price of a potential SW Pin for my hat :p

19. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
  20. Taylor Boughton

Aug 4, 2022
    Yes! They look so beautiful thank you so much! I also sent out a few pins, I hope you like them! :)

21. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I am just so glad they got there! I put 40grams in there so I hope that's enough! ;)

22. Taylor Boughton

Aug 4, 2022
    They’re perfect! I can’t wait to continue working on her! I can’t thank you enough, this has really helped me! :)

23. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    No problem at all honey, I had to dig to find them and I have images if you want them.........yeah I did plan to redo it..........but then I got old :p

24. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Thank you thank you thank you @Taylor Boughton !! Your gift arrived today and I am overwhelmed. Utterly adore them, and Ahsoka too! She will have pride of place beside Kyp! [face_love]

25. Taylor Boughton

Aug 4, 2022
    I’m so glad you like them! I couldn’t find many pins rebels related, but I tried my best! Thank you for helping me, I cannot stop admiring the sequins :D