main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~*~Favorites of FanFic Festival Social and Questions Thread~*~ Survey! We want YOUR opinions

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Jan 22, 2019.

1. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Hey @Sith-I-5, I’m so flattered that you think so highly of Breha Solo, but I don’t think she belongs as an EU character (although I’ve been writing her so long she feels like she should be canon!). Thank you for the kind mention but I’m pretty sure she doesn’t qualify as EU since she’s an OC.

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL I have to STOP myself from doing that with the extended Blayne/Bridger clan, as well. OCs that are ECs ^:)^ ... Blue feels like an EC too. :* :*

pronker, Kahara, AzureAngel2 and 3 others like this.
  3. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Speaking of which... I'm pretty sure Darth Vader can't be considered an EU character, @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha... Rereading the rules, it says movie characters can't qualify for that category. They have to be characters that appear only in the EU/New Canon.

Still thankful for the vote, though. [face_coffee]

4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Ah. All I knew, was that I did not know her from any films.

Thank you for letting me know.

pronker, Kahara and AzureAngel2 like this.
  5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Sorry to continue with this, but... @Sith-I-5, I’m pretty much 99.9% sure the Geonosians in @Ewok Poet ’s “Respawn” are OCs, too, rather than representations of any particular Geonosians in the films. Tagging her so she can confirm. :)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    pronker, Kahara and AzureAngel2 like this.
  6. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    So per Teh Rulz:
    I’m assuming a character from Solo would also count as a Movie Character?

EU would be Not-movie, so a character from Rebels or Clone Wars (such as Ahsoka or Kanan) would fit here? Or a character from a book, like Rae Sloan?

7. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Yes, exactly, to both. I think that list of films in the rules just wasn't yet updated to include Solo; one of my own movie character choices was from there, too. (I see that it doesn't include TLJ yet, either...)

8. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    :-B Oh yeah, TLJ is missing, too.
    I checked the release date on Solo specifically because I wasn’t sure when it came out, but it was definitely May 2018 So stories with those characters would qualify (unless started in 2019).

9. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Just going to clarify some stuff, even though I think you guys have figured it out.

Yes, Movie includes both Solo and TLJ (and yeah, to save time many category definitions were copy/pasta'ed from previous years and my brainless noodle must have just blocked those two movies from my memory :p I'm kidding).

And yes, we are going by the dictionary definition (kinda) of EU so anyone who did not first appear in a movie, so anyone from a book, comic, TV series fits.

As for faves that do/don't fit in the selected categories, Mav and I are just going to make judgment calls (IE if its a named character not in Wookieepedia and not explicitly a RPG character, we consider it an OC). If for some reason you were favourited but it doesn't make the final index, don't take it personally. We are going to try to be as lenient as possible and open to interpretation, but some stuff is incorrect.

ALSO I WILL REPEAT THIS. Do not edit your posts in the official festival thread. Mav and I are creating the index as the festival progresses and we are not going back to check for edits.

pronker, Kahara, AzureAngel2 and 2 others like this.
  10. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks so much for clarifying, Bri. But...

Oh shoot, I think someone already just did this in one case... sending it your way, just in case.

pronker and AzureAngel2 like this.
  11. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Okay-dokey, in spite of the objections to my choices, I won't be erasing anything from that post, due to the non-editing rule.

If I think of anything for EU characters, and the week in arrears that I am still allowed to do, they will have to be an additional post.

Not seen any 2018 fic for the old skool game characters that I know about, such as Rookie One (Star Wars: Starfighter), so will have to leave that category blank.

pronker likes this.
  12. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Thanks for the mention, @AzureAngel2. [face_coffee] I like how both you and WarmNyota call him Lord Vader too. Imperial protocol ftw. lol

Kahara, pronker, Mira_Jade and 2 others like this.
  13. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Well, in most of my stories I call him thus, too. Plus your version of him, @Togruta, deserves to be mentioned in the Festival.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  14. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Oops posted in the wrong place.

Since I am here, just want to say that I am excited to read all these new fics! I already started a couple new ones.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  15. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Absolutely agreed! I too have gotten to know some wonderful new stories thanks to this festival, and revisiting the old favorites has been a wonderful experience, too. :cool:

16. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Same here -- shoutout to the crossover category, which got me to read several great stories! :) I haven't branched out quite as much in the others, but seeing others' lists has been a wonderful source of recommendations for future reading.

17. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Ah, so did no PMs come in for the most recent group of categories (OC, Villain, Non-Human)? Just curious, since I didn’t see any, but I know there’s a “grace week” in each case.

(But seriously, folks, participate, don’t just lurk! This is supposed to be fun! :D And please don’t worry that anyone will judge you for your choices. We’re not like that here! @};- )

mavjade , divapilot, Kahara and 2 others like this.
  18. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Well, reading AND commenting always don´t go hand in hand always. The internet is changing & so do the people on it. But I always can´t help to leave at least to leave a few words. Because that´s what I do 5 days per week between 7am and 5pm, encouraging others: the children, their parents, at time even colleagues in distress. That is my second skin.

I hope there are folk out there who might find the time & words.

19. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    @AzureAngel2, it wasn’t story-commenting that I was referring to so much as participating in this festival by posting favorites, etc., which I know you’ve been doing and which I appreciate very much. @};- I just know we’ve had a few folks earlier specifically say that they’ve been following the festival and enjoying it but not actually participating in it by posting choices, and that’s what I hope they will “take the plunge” and do. :)

20. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    No, we didn't get any PMs this week, but like you said, there's a grace week people can use so we may still get some.

21. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Can I just say that the fun categories are tough and really going to take some thought? :p But this is also where I really appreciate that you mods are (a) giving us these categories in installments, rather than having us do all 6 or so nominations within the larger category all at once; and (b) giving us due warning as to which categories will be coming up next week, so we can think them over. Thanks so much again, and everyone keep the fun coming! [face_dancing]

AzureAngel2, pronker, Kahara and 3 others like this.
  22. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I cannot see if anyone has asked if NSWFF can be posted.

I have a couple of candidates.

23. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Hey, Sith!

This will just be for Star Wars. NSWFF moves a lot slower, and only had a handful of stories and active posters over the last year. If we did something similar I'd be on our side of things on a smaller scale. :)

24. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Yes, for reasons Mira stated, we decided to not include NSWFF. Mav and I did talk about it but since this was the experimental run for this process, we decided to keep it simple and stick to SW. We completely brainfarted when it came to including a note about this in the rules, however, as a general rule of thumb with Resource stuff, it's SW-only unless otherwise stated.

25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Okay, thank you.

AzureAngel2, pronker and Mira_Jade like this.