main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Replacing Ford as Jones? Would it be a sin?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by WhiskeyGold, Jul 25, 2013.

1. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I think everyone can be replaced (Chris Pratt) but.....Ford's Indy performance in the original 3 is right up there with anything of the last 40 years. He owned that role. Even moreso than Han Solo.

2. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Chris Pratt is nowhere near being in the same league as Harrison Ford. His on-screen charisma is severely limited. He's good when he's playing a character with a slight goofball aspect to them. When he tries to edge even slightly away from the goofball persona and more towards a character in the Fordian matinee idol mold, we get his stultifyingly bland performance in Jurassic World.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  3. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Ford will definitely be replaced. They won't just sit on 'Indiana Jones' after he retires or dies. It's too valuable a property. I guess I'd be willing to give a new actor a chance but I have stipulations about the content and aesthetics of what Indiana Jones should be about and feel like. My worst fear would be a contemporary Indiana Jones in our present time.

I used to think maybe Clooney could be a good replacement but even he is getting older.

christophero30 likes this.
  4. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Why can’t they put the franchise to bed after Indy 5 or 6 and, I dunno, come up with something new? :)

Or adapt Uncharted with Nathan Fillion and call it a day.

5. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Indy could have an adventure with Lara Croft's dad. Chris Pratt is the only replacement I can see.

6. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I was about to joke in my previous post, ‘anyone but Chris Pratt’. :) Love the guy but he’s overexposed IMO.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  7. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I'm old enough to have seen Raiders many times in the theater so I'd rather no one do it but Disney is gonna do it anyway. They will probably cast an unknown but who knows?

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  8. Frisco

Frisco Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 21, 2019
    I never wanted The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and I certainly didn't want Harrison Ford reprising the role. At least not in the traditional sense, where he's the one having all of the adventure and everyone else is just along for the ride. He's just too old and was getting kind of long in the tooth in the Last Crusade, to be perfectly honest. If Indy sort of retired and became like his father was in the third movie, I'd tolerate his lingering in it. The 4th installment was one too far, for me, though. The whole "Mutt Williams" thing was a huge let down for me. I wanted to like Shia LaBeouf and to see the franchise handed over to him, but the script sucked so bad and Steven Spielberg's direction of him was so mishandled ... I just couldn't see it. And the only reason why I did see the Crystal Skull was because I was pretty much made to. My brother knows I love Raiders and he was like, "you've got to see this movie." I told him to get the hell out of here, with that. But he took it so personally, I don't know ... I didn't understand it. It kind of became his mission in life to get me to like it. So, I see the damn thing and I pretended that I thought it was OK and - thankfully - he let it go, after that. But I hope and pray that Harrison Ford will let go of the Indiana Jones character, but there's too much money to be had, or whatever. As long as he draws breath, he'll demand he play him. Nothing I can do about it, except jus be glad that Raiders got made, I guess.

9. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I'd take Chris Pratt, I think he could do a decent enough interpretation of the character. I used to think maybe Gerard Butler, but he's perhaps a bit too old now?

For an alternate character in the Indy universe, what about Forestal? Or maybe a movie with him as Indy's "competitor" would be interesting.

Frisco and christophero30 like this.
  10. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I think Forestal will appear in a future younger Indy film. As will a younger Belloq. I agree about Pratt but not Butler; after watching him mangle an American accent in Geostorm I do not think him up to the task.

11. Frisco

Frisco Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 21, 2019
    [​IMG]

christophero30 likes this.
  12. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    There are two sides to Indy -- the roguish adventurer AND the sophisticated academic. I don't buy Pratt as the latter. I think you need someone who's believable as a highly educated professor of archaeology.

My choice would be Armie Hammer. He has action movie experience (Man from UNCLE, Lone Ranger), played an art history PhD student in Call Me By Your Name, and he's the right age (32) for a potentially long run as Indy.

[​IMG]

As a non-gamer, I can't muster any interest in an Uncharted or Tomb Raider movie -- they're just (intentional) Indy knockoffs. And the prospect of an 80 year-old Ford-as-Indy makes me wince. Meanwhile, the Young I.J. Chronicles were often quite enjoyable, so I wouldn't mind someone else taking up the character. Just make sure you have a good script.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  13. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Hammer's a bit bland but I suppose it could work.

14. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Replacing him specifically as Henry Walton Jones Jr. would probably be a bad idea. However, someone else taking the Indy mantle is inevitable. I don't even know what they can do with Indy 5, especially since Shia LaBeouf isn't involved. Indiana Jones 5 should be Harrison's Ford final Indiana Jones role.

15. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Having seen Solo three times now, my verdict is that Alden E. done real good as Han Solo, so I reckon he could do real good as Indiana Jones too.