main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Things you never noticed in the CT.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by 11-4D, Apr 3, 2018.

1. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Things you never noticed in the CT until much later. For example I only just now realized that Stormtroopers have these big holsters for their blasters:
    [​IMG]

2. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    It took me some time to realize that the belly segment of the stormtrooper armor apparently features two 3D cameras, inspired by real life 3D cameras, in particular the one from Nimslo:

[​IMG]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimslo

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  3. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Dengar has a copy of Han Solo's blaster on his hip. Didn't know it until they made the Vintage Collection figure. Same goes for IG-88's edged weapon. I knew about the Stormtrooper hip holster because my brother thought it was so cool lol.

4. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
    Notice the holsters are on the stormtroopers left sides?

5. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    I think they changed that in the ST just so the "magazines" wouldn't be on the left...

6. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    You could see Princess Leias reflection in R2D2s photoreceptor when she inserts the plans at the start of ANH. I didn’t notice that until recently. This mirrors Rey being reflected in BB-8s photoreceptor when she fixes his antenna at the start of TFA.

Also you could see the grappling hook cable on all the stormtrooper uniforms.

Another little detail was how Luke’s equipment is hanging from a tree right before he enters the cave on Dagobah in ESB. You could even see his lightsaber on the side of the screen when he takes his sweater down.

7. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    I watched ANH for .. dunno.. some hundredth time last night and oh my word. It was the first time that I noticed Luke's actual skyhopper in the background of the garage sequence as he plays with the model. Wonders never cease.

8. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    It took a while to "notice" this back in the day, especially before the days of VCR's but despite Luke often being portrayed with yellow hair in action figures, comics and merchandise art, Mark's actual hair color isn't really any lighter than Ford's. Yet you don't ever see Han portrayed as a blond...

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I've been looking at the screencaps in ANH, and while the two shades of brown are close, when you see them side by side in the same well-lit conditions (like at the Medal Ceremony) Luke's has a gold sheen that isn't present in Han's. I would guess that the early comics darken Han's hair and lighten Luke's, to maximise the contrast between the two characters.

10. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    It’s not that I didn’t technically notice this before but I never really appreciated it or let it sink in.

At the end of return of the Jedi, when Luke defeats Vader and hammers down on him, Vader pathetically puts his hands up in surrender. It’s cowardly in a way, like the big bad bully who gets beat down and then you realize he was just a scared wimp after all.

11. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    In ROTJ’s opening sequence, just when JerJerrod is saying, “Lord Vader, this is an unexpected visit, we’re humbled by your arrival”, watch the gap between the two. Vader waves his hand as if to cut JerJerrod’s ass-kissing before he himself drags the conversation to the point of Vader’s visit.

StartCenterEnd likes this.
  12. Darkside Floyd

Darkside Floyd Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2008
    At first glance, the hip holsters are cool but they are so, I dunno, retro or low-tech? In this massive Imperial army/war machine, that is a piece of their top equipment?

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Lulu Mars likes this.
  13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I never noticed Tattooine had TWO suns!! [face_hypnotized]

LOL JK

I didn't realize until the blu-ray versions came out (likely due to the increased resolution) in ROTJ that behind where EV-9D9 was standing, there's a long utility corridor that stretches around into the distance. I always just figured it was a wall there. The enhanced resolution of the blu-rays really gave rooms like that droid dungeon more of a scope IMO.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  14. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    I watched recently (when I got the Despecialized editions finally) and was surprised I could still notice some things. I guess I always look in the same places. I can't remember what some were. I saw at least one Probot on the Death Star when the Emperor arrived. I noticed several more women in Echo Base, riding in the people mover when R2-D2 was scanning for Luke. I noticed parts of an astromech droid just like R2-D2 in the droid torture room with EV-9D9, and parts just like C-3PO on the sandcrawler. There was something about Chewbacca and Obi-Wan at the bar in the cantina that I hadn't noticed. Oh and during the Death Star attack, I use to think "several fighters have broken off from the main group" referred to TIE Fighters being taken out, not Rebel ships leaving for the trench.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  15. DARTHLINK

Feb 24, 2005
    [​IMG]

The guy just working on his datapad while Vader walks away. In such an important scene, this man is completely oblivious to what just happened.

16. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Luke watching the binary sunset??o_O
    How about R2 reflections of the DS illumination when they are clearly back on the "Falcon". Those DS light bars are unique to the DS, but no nitpicking here, just a thing I noticed.
    Why have retractable bridges on the DS at all? There is no enemy on board before. If they had to have these HUGE abysses at all why not use tunnels or other safer way across for stormtroopers? Why have this immense artificial gravity at all, huge for the DS's size, when all it harms normally is Imperials anyway. What purpose were those shafts anyway other than confuse Luke and Leia? Build a huge battle station just to confuse TWO prisoners??????

17. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Because Ralph McQuarrie thought it was a fun and sexy idea for a scene.

SlashMan, Sarge and Tosche_Station like this.
  18. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    I caught part of Return of the Jedi on television and noticed that Han briefly uses Artoo as a shield at the bunker on Endor. That's not very heroic, Han. And it seems a bit counterproductive, as Artoo was trying to open the bunker door for the Rebels. Of course, it backfired because seconds later, Artoo was blasted by a stormtrooper. It's also interesting to note that the only words that Han utters to Artoo in the entire saga are "Come on! Come on!" just before using him as a shield. Han really didn't have much respect for droids.

Wu Wei Jedi, SlashMan, Sarge and 4 others like this.
  19. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    He actually turns to look at Vader after Vader walks far enough away. He's pretending to be focused on his own duties, scared of being caught watching.

20. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    The tauntaun's head mount in Jabba's Palace. Amazingly, even with the Blu Rays being owned since 2011, I still only noticed it for the first time about two or three years ago.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  21. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    Oh was that actually supposed to be a surrender? I thought it was more like an instinctive, reaching as if to block the lightsaber from the rest of his body kind of thing. But yeah surrender would be a reasonable interpretation too.
    [​IMG]

VaderBoyee, StartCenterEnd and Sarge like this.
  22. DARTHLINK

Feb 24, 2005
    I just assumed it was an act of ‘Please have mercy’.

23. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    That’s how I see it. He’s on the receiving end of “you are beaten, it is useless to resist.”

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  24. Doompup

Doompup Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2017
    I didn’t pick up on it until adulthood, but when Luke and Vader are fighting on Cloud City, Vader disarms Luke only after a Luke hits his shoulder with a lucky strike, and Vader loses his temper and stops toying with Luke.
    Previously, I think I just thought that Vader lost his patience with Luke flailing around and just shut him down with the disarm.

25. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Well, Vader - like Palpatine - did view Luke as a potential threat. As long as Vader felt he had the upper "hand" on Luke, he wasn't too concerned. But if Luke was as strong in the Force as Palps predicted, then another "lucky" strike like that could take out Vader. As much as he wanted Luke as an apprentice, he wasn't going to unnecessarily risk his life over it.

VaderBoyee and Sarge like this.