main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Arena The Theist/Atheist Thunderdome™

Discussion in 'Community' started by Harpua, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    lol... okay, dude. Jesus Christ.

Lady Mary and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Lol, right, it's me not you. Anything else?

3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Uh.... exactly what have I done in this thread, that I started? You're acting like a complete tool.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  4. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Now you have selected memory. Keep going, please.

5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Link me to a post.

God damn, you're ****ing weird.

6. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    You:

lol... what does this even mean. You sound drunker than Montie, right now.

Then I hand you your crap back to you and here's you now

Shall I hit the report button at this point?

I mean really, who the hell do you think you are? you can make all the comments you wish and when someone hits back you act all perfect.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    @VadersLaMent

No need, I'm already here. Stop it, and everyone move on.

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Oh, this is about that one quip? I was talking to wocky. Get over yourself.

As for the report button, you do you.

Edit... hi heels, thanks.

10. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Religion - always causing divisions .

11. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Yup.

12. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    no one wants to criticize your religion. It's the Christine Blasey Ford of religions. Sincere and credible and friendly, and you'd like to give it a hug or a cup of tea and hope it enjoys the rest of its life in comfort without being hounded by right wing idiots.

Diggy , SuperWatto and harpua like this.
  13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Can always start another Baha’i thread... :)

But yeah, even when we had an Atheism only thread, it always turned back to Christianity.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    The Satanic Temple is officially recognized by the IRS

Being granted tax-exempt status essentially means that the Satanic Temple has the same legal protections that other religions do, including “access to public spaces as other religious organizations; affirming its standing in court when battling religious discrimination; and enabling The Satanic Temple to apply for faith-based government grants,” according to a press release sent to Rolling Stone.

Revyl Ren likes this.
  15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Good... should have happened a long time ago.

16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I would have assumed they already had that protection. Good for them getting it then. All religions should have it*

* Not you, Scientology. You're a pyramid scheme disguised as a religion.

Sith Lord 2015 and Revyl Ren like this.
  17. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    No religion should have it. Pay your ****ing taxes.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    But how would the Catholic Church pay off molestation victims? How would Prosperity Gospel megachurches pay for the pastor's private jets? Did you think of that?!

19. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Yeah, I don't think religion should be tax-exempt. There's too many ways churches take advantage of this stuff.

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I understand the idea of charitable institutions being tax-free and all that, but, honestly, Jesus paid taxes. And I'm not just saying, "Like, everybody paid taxes, so of course Jesus paid taxes." I mean, there's literally a story in the Bible about him paying taxes (by getting money out of a fish's mouth, but set that aside for the moment). And that's not even the story where he does the "render unto Caesar" speech, as memory serves.

It doesn't bother me that some churches don't pay taxes, but the notion that any organization that is able to backflip its way into being a "religious" institution is tax free isn't really good. We've all heard the stories about the pastor with the vacation home in the mountains that he calls a "Prayer Retreat" so it can fall under the ministry and not his own personal finances. And that's not even getting into things where entire institutions, like Scientology, essentially pressure their way into the religion category; Scientology is the most egregious because they did stuff that was downright illegal to get into that category, but they're not the only ones. The religious exemption is like just about all tax exemptions, a kind of good idea in theory that, in practice, is often used for dodges. I'm not enough of a wonk to have any specific ideas as to how to tighten the restrictions to cut out most of the dodges while still allowing legitimate religious/non-profit/charitable organizations to stay tax-free. If it's a straight either-or, I suppose it would be best if the exemption went away. It's a case of the negatives and abuses basically outweighing the positives at this point, which, as a religious person, pains me to say.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  21. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    No. Pay your ****ing taxes.

22. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Cults and taxes over here, for a comparison point:

- Religious cults are mandated to form a nonprofit association, under the 1901 law governing nonprofit associations; the same law covers NGOs, political parties or student associations, to give an idea of its breadth
    - They have to declare their territorial reach and a list of their members meeting a minimal threshold; for France, using the Catholic Church since it's the dominant religion to give an idea of scale, that means all 12 054 parishes, all 104 dioceses and all 15 ecclesial provinces have to be declared independently, and not just the organization overseeing the Catholic cult in France; all have to maintain their own separate treasuries, and any financial flux between them has to occur under publicly accessible rules, notably so it can be taxed if relevant
    - Religious cults are ineligible to state aids, except where the maintenance of the structure and the respect of security norms in cult buildings are concerned; this form of aid was initially allowed because the state appropriated all religious cult buildings existing in 1904 (mostly Catholic ones, but also a significant number of Protestant, Muslim and Jewish ones); it continues to applies to all religious cult buildings, including new ones and regardless of religion
    - Their bank accounts and other financial assets are subject to normal taxation rules
    - Their land, building and company properties are subject to normal taxation rules
    - All employees' wages - including of course all who have clerical rank - are subject to normal taxation rules
    - Cult activities are exempt from value-added tax, but economic activity is proscribed from being exerted by a cult association and has to be set up as a proper business, which is subject to a taxation regime equivalent to that applicable to some small businesses
    - Cult associations are not exempt from paying value-added tax on their own purchases
    - Voluntary contributions are excluded from taxation for individual contributors, and are not subject to direct taxation (although their use can be taxed, like it is for wages, property acquisition/sale, maintenance works, etc.)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Revyl Ren likes this.
  23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    It's ok. He consulted with Vatican exorcists.

Yeah, had to get those harry Potter books out of the school library because:

“These books present magic as both good and evil, which is not true, but in fact a clever deception. The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text,” the Reverend Reehill wrote, apparently in all seriousness.

24. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
  25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I saw that story earlier and my first thought was, they’d have to fire me. And I’d go out of the building the way the Weasley twins did in Order of the Phoenix.

Then I remembered I’d never work for a Catholic school in the first place.

My library just got a new set of Harry Potter books with the 20th anniversary covers.