main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which of the Star Wars Saga scores is your favorite?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Strilo , Apr 13, 2018.

?

Which of the Star Wars Saga scores is your favorite?

1. The Phantom Menace

13 vote(s)
    12.9%
  2. Attack Of The Clones

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Revenge Of The Sith

31 vote(s)
    30.7%
  4. A New Hope

12 vote(s)
    11.9%
  5. The Empire Strikes Back

34 vote(s)
    33.7%
  6. Return Of The Jedi

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  7. The Force Awakens

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  8. The Last Jedi

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    To me, nothing tops The Empire Strikes Back. It contains most of the leitmotifs from the original film, while adding some phenomenal new pieces. Do I need to say how amazing The Imperial March, Yoda's Theme, and Han Solo and the Princess are? Not to mention The Asteroid Field and Lando's Palace.

2. Trev Elyt

Trev Elyt Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 22, 2019
    I’m inclined to go with The Empire Strikes Back, too, because it includes most of the best songs from A New Hope, as well as “The Imperial March,” “Han Solo and the Princess,” and “Yoda’s Theme.” (Not to mention, the finale song is STUNNING.) A New Hope is really high up there, though — “Binary Sunset,” “Princess Leia’s Theme” and “The Throne Room and End Title” are some of the best pieces of music to ever be created.

christophero30 likes this.
  3. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    ROTS
    AOTC
    TESB
    TPM
    ROTJ
    TLJ
    TFA
    ANH

John Williams performance in the PT was simply amazing. ROTS was enhanced by the emotional and gripping scores, while Across the Stars in AOTC is my favorite of the saga.

4. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    For me they are all great but ESB just has so much variety. So many classic themes and little flourishes. I can't begin to explain how epic it was hearing the Imperial March for the first time in the theater.

StarYogi likes this.
  5. Sephiroth1335

Sephiroth1335 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2019
    I picked up Episode 1 at the store the other day and been listening to it every day since very amazing!

Hoping to gradually acquire the rest over time and compare them all but my instincts and
    what I remember in the theater is that Episode I is really something special I think.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  6. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    As an overall score I voted for ESB, while personally my favorite single tracks are "Across the Stars" and the AOTC end title where the theme is included plus "Princess Leia's Theme". On the whole, I rate the AOTC score lower than some others, but "Across the Stars" really stands out and to me is the score's highlight. Otherwise there aren't really any new themes that impressed me, though already existing themes like "Imperial March" and "Duel of the Fates" are used extremely well.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  7. Luna2112

Luna2112 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 22, 2016
    As an overall score, definitely RotS. Every track on it just perfectly encapsulates the tragedy, foreboding/looming darkness, and emotional weight of that film for me. I'm probably biased since it was the first SW score I ever bought (and RotS is tied with ESB as my favorite), but I think it's one of the strongest scores in the series. There aren't any "filler" tracks on it for me and it's the only one I regularly listen to the full way through without skipping around.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Darth Buzz likes this.
  8. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    ANH because it introduced many of the motifs and themes we have come to love

AOTC is technically a John Williams score but one heavily arranged and edited by LFL IIRC.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. C.Roach

C.Roach Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    I voted for The Empire Strikes Back.

10. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Empire Strikes Back, so operatic and such great themes. One of the things it does for me during the end credits is remind me of those stage productions where the actors come out one by one at the end back onto the stage for a final, group bow. I listen to all the themes being played and I can imagine Leia coming back out, then Yoda, and Darth Vader etc one after the other, waving to the audience as the audience claps and cheers.

StarYogi and christophero30 like this.
  11. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Yeah the last 3 minutes of Empire...my goodness. Although the throne room at the end of ANH is pretty amazing too.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    StarYogi and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  12. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    The ending of Empire surely is one of the best Star Wars endings of them all.

13. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Empire without a doubt. I just love Battle in the Snow :D

14. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Tough call between ROTS and TESB (both including iconic pieces) but I'd have to go with the latter.

Iron_lord and christophero30 like this.
  15. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Yes for me it goes ESB then ANH then ROTS then TPM.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  16. Pythaga

Pythaga Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 14, 2018
    ROTS has to be my favorite, all of the emotion, especially in Anakin's Betrayal/Dark Deeds and The Immolation Scene, tells the tragic story far better than the oft-criticized dialogue in my mind.

Beyond that, ESB is a *very* close second, followed by ROTJ then ANH, with AOTC and TPM not too far behind.

The only real exceptions to the rule are Across the Stars and Duel of the Fates, both of which are within my top 10 individual tracks.

christophero30 and Darth Buzz like this.
  17. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    ROTS is so emotional, that soundtrack hits you like a truck. Makes Anakin's story even more tragic than it already is. Masterpiece by JW!

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    ESB forever and always

themoth and christophero30 like this.
  19. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I'd give ESB the edge because of the sheer variety. You have Han and Leia, the Imperial March, Yoda's theme, Lando's theme, Boba Fett's theme, the Asteroid music. It's just amazing.

StarYogi likes this.
  20. TIE Mechanic

TIE Mechanic Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 1, 2019
    A New Hope for me and my favourite track is The Throne Room and End Titles. I love how the first piece builds up into the crescendo that segues into the End Titles. I have always found that very moving.

21. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    The best bit of music on the TESB soundtrack is when Luke is in the X Wing approaching Cloud City. The first notes of the main theme play three times with alternating horns and flutes at different tempos, then the second set of notes play three times in the same vein before the scene changes to the carbon freeze chamber and the music segues into the Imperial March again.

It is a wonderfully composed little riff. Williams is a genius.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  22. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Yeah! It's a shame the music is a bit shortened in the film, though (you don't hear the second set of notes play three times).

On a related note, I hate how the original release of TESB substitutes a couple of great statements of the Imperial March for a tracked version of it. I'm so glad the SE fixed those.

Bob Effette likes this.
  23. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Yub Nub!

24. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    It’s definitive, and will never be topped.

25. AnakinTheChosenOne

AnakinTheChosenOne Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 25, 2019
    I gotta say Revenge Of The Sith hands down, no question. With The Phantom Menace as a close second.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.