main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, May 4, 2019.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    [​IMG]
    https://www.starwars.com/news/journey-to-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-publishing-program

Publisher: DK
    Author: Pablo Hidalgo
    Format: Reference
    Description: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary is a 200-page definitive guide to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, revealing the characters, creatures, droids, locations, and technology from the new film. Packed with 500+ images and information, plus cross-sections of new vehicles, as penned by Star Wars scribe Pablo Hidalgo, it’s a must-have for all fans who want to go beyond the movie experience.
    On-sale: 12/20/2019

2. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I had a feeling the VD and Cross-Sections would be combined, after Pablo experimented with that format for Rogue One. And this one's 200 pages, same as the Rogue One guide, so double the length of TLJ's Visual Dictionary.

PimpBacca and vncredleader like this.
  3. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    Looks cool.

4. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    He did, however, specify that the reason he did that was only because Rogue One was a spin-off movie, so it's a bit weird. My biggest gripe with the choice is that the amount of cross-sections is most definitively going to be influenced by this, as the very large Rogue One guide only contained 5 or 6, about the half of a dedicated Cross Sections book.

5. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    That could well be dictated by how many potential cross-sections would be available; none of the new films have really had very many new vehicle designs - TLJ probably had the most, and its Cross-Sections book was fairly thin. So I wouldn't be surprised if TROS doesn't have enough to justify an entire book.

6. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    Well perhaps it was just me but I found the lack of cross-sections for the Raddus, AT-ACT and Hammerhead a bit disappointing (the Nebulon-C and the AT-HH had them despite their lower screen time and relevance in the plot), and even more so the presence of a single artwork of this kind in the Solo guide (where there was even more "vehicular" potential).
    I suppose you are right in that it's all up to the amount of new designs introduced in IX, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Vialco likes this.
  7. Pons

Pons Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 11, 2019
    Don't recall for the others, but there was certainly a cross-section of the Raddus. As for TRoS, I'm pretty sure there will be quite a few new capital ships with the Mon Cals joining the fight; whether they'll all have dedicated pages or just shoehorned into a single section remains to be seen.[​IMG]

나의 SM-G960N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

whostheBossk and Long Snoot like this.
  8. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    My mistake, when I said "The Raddus" I meant Raddus's ship in Rogue One.

9. Pons

Pons Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 11, 2019
    Here ya go.[​IMG]

나의 SM-G960N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

10. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Lol I speculated on what could appear in the pages a few months back.

What was my list again?

I'll go find it.

11. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'm beyond excited for this book. Pablo is a fantastic writer and his ability to come up with incredible backstories laced with old WEG or EU references is unmatched. I suspect that this guide will be filled to the gills with cool stuff. :D

However, I am bummed that they aren't doing a separate Cross Sections book. I didn't see any books by Jason Fry in the announcement, that honestly bummed me out alot, as he is a kick ass author. [face_sigh]

--Adm. Nick

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It's possible he's already working on something he and DarthInternous can't talk about.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  13. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I sure hope so. Cause I love Jason's stuff!

--Adm. Nick

14. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    Yeah, as I said, no cross section.

15. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    Back in the (glorious?) EU days, the Essential Guides were the only books I was ever truly invested in, because The Whole of the Saga was always more fascinating to me than The Parts of the Saga. I miss the EGs tremendously, but these Visual Dictionaries are a great successor nonetheless. Greatly looking forward to this one.

harryhenry, StartCenterEnd and Xammer like this.
  16. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    He is not.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Bummer..

18. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I certainly think so.

19. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    I hope that once the ST is complete we'll see a revival of something similar to the Essential Guides and other more in-depth reference books. Now we know there'll be a three-year gap between TROS and whatever the next film is, that'd be a good time to release some.

StartCenterEnd and HedecGa like this.
  20. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    Not even consulting on the cross sections for the new VD?

21. Pons

Pons Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 11, 2019
    I'd love for it to include some unseen New Republic ships and the Starhawk in particular, seeing as the NRDF's role in TRoS seems to be negligible at best; the modern capital ships necessary for fleet action against the FO is likely to be provided by Mon Cala, with some old vessels from PSFs serving a secondary role. As much as I'm psyched for the inevitable new Mon Cal cruisers(and in hindsight prefer this over the demilitarized NRDF, as there is a decent chance the latter fell back on the tired, old designs of the GCW), I wholeheartedly understand the frustrations some may have at the total lack of info on the NRDF fleet post-demilitarization. An Essential Guides book would be the perfect place for some more NRDF.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  22. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  23. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    so he still hasn't written it yet? What's he waiting for? Christmas?

24. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    I think he started it but he's not done yet. How long did it take for him to write the other ones?

25. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Yeah, he confirmed he started a while ago. He just means he's not finished (and he's joking above all anyway, as usual).

As I recall, TLJ was about nine months.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Revanfan1 and Noash_Retrac like this.