main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming From Atari to Alliance: Classic Star Wars Gaming (1982-1998) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by AstroDroid88, Mar 30, 2016.

1. AstroDroid88

AstroDroid88 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2016
    MOD EDIT- Repurposing this thread for discussion of all classic Star Wars games released between 1982-1998 (X-Wing Alliance is technically a 1999 release, but this thread is essentially meant to be "everything released before TPM"). This companion thread will cover games released after that period.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

====Original Post Follows====

The first Rogue Squadron is now on available on Steam for only $10! It was install so quick. Less than 150MB for the entire game. Boy do I miss it when games were that small to install. I've always loved this game and am glad its now on Steam. What I would give to have a game like this but with Battlefront graphics :D

http://www.pcgamer.com/star-wars-rogue-squadron-3d-is-now-on-steam/

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2019
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Eh, it's been on GOG for over a year.

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  3. ZodaEX

ZodaEX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 27, 2015
    Yeah I happened to see this as well randomly while checking out the Steam front page. I absolutely loved this game so much on the N64. It was so great getting to see the difference of how all the various star wars ships handled and the gameplay is just top notch. I really hope we also see SW Battle for Naboo, as it used the same game engine and also had a PC version.

AstroDroid88 likes this.
  4. AstroDroid88

AstroDroid88 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2016
    Yeah, that's a classic game too ZodaEX. I've tried playing RS over the weekend and its just as hard as I can remember lol

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Bumping this thread- repurposing/broadening it's function for the upcoming merger (no longer just about Rogue Squadron 3D). Not a lot of pre-existing discussion, but I'd rather use an existing thread for this new organizational threads than have more new threads started by me clumped together.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I keep trying to get into the original Tie Fighter, but my god does the difficulty curve look like a sine wave. I still can't get past one of the missions in the first campaign.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd have to look up my old save file but, yeah, I don't recall getting very far into TF's campaign- at least not as far as I did into X-Wing's. But I recall it being a difficulty issue and not just getting distracted by other titles like DF & RA2 (though that could have easily been a factor).

The Dev Game Club podcast (two former LucasArts developers playing/analyzing older games) did a series on TIE Fighter back when Rogue One came out that was pretty good. Did two interview episodes after the four play-through episodes with Larry Holland & some of the testers. The story about how one tester managed to kill the only unkillable unit in the game (Darth Vader) was pretty funny. Worth a listen.

Ep1, Ep2, Ep3, Ep4, QA Interview, Holland Interview

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    Jedi Merkurian and Outsourced like this.
  8. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Let's talk about classic Star Wars gaming, shall we? :)

I had this game; as you can see it came out around the same time as the original trilogy. How many classic SW games can say the same?

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    The2ndQuest likes this.
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not many- only 3 other games were released between 82-83 (during the OT releases), with another 4 between 84-87 (after the OT, but around that same period of time).

That ESB 2600 game was seemingly the first, though. I had that one too- hard but very cool for the time. Hearing the Rebel fanfare music kick in when you started “using the Force” or nailing an AT-AT’a weakpoint was a pretty big thrill.

I think the unending nature of it held it back though- even at the time the arcade-inspired “play until you die” structure was a little disappointing (in other words, there was no way to win or beat the game, no matter how hard you tried).

I also remember that landing for repairs was often difficult since it was easy to bounce or skip your landing.

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The 2600 version was released a year earlier, but you can see the graphics improved somewhat on the Intellivision version.

Blobofat likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Huh, I never compared the INTV & A26 versions before, that's interesting. Yeah, the graphics are slightly better on the INTV version- though, the sound seems more pleasant on the A26 version.

Though the INTV renditions of the AT-ATs have frames that make them look more like the AT-M6 from TLJ, so, in a way, the A26 versions kinda evoke the vehicles from the films better, IMO, despite be a less detailed model.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    It was really the first true "console wars". If you ask most 80s kids, they'd assume the first "console wars" were between the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo. WRONG. The first true ones were between INTV and A26. Ask George Plimpton ;)

soitscometothis, Lordban and Blobofat like this.
  13. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Let's talk about one of the most addictive strategy games of the era, shall we?

[​IMG]

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ah, right- the one that isn't Galactic Battlegrounds, Empire at War or Force Commander. ;)

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This crosses eras but most of these titles are from the earlier stretch of history. Limited Run Games announced they'll be releasing collectors editions of classic LucasArts games (mostly SW) monthly, starting with Bounty Hunter on PS4 this month:

• The Curse of Monkey Island (PC)
    • Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck’s Revenge (PC)
    • The Secret of Monkey Island (PC)
    • The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (PC)
    • Star Wars (NES, Game Boy)
    • Star Wars: Bounty Hunter (PS4)
    • Star Wars: Dark Forces (PC)
    • Star Wars Episode I: Racer (PC, N64)
    • Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (NES, Game Boy)
    • Star Wars: Jedi Knight (PC)
    • Star Wars Jedi Knight 2 - Jedi Outcast (PC)
    • Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (PC)
    • Star Wars: Racer Revenge (PS4)
    • Star Wars: Rebel Assault (PC)
    • Star Wars: Rebel Assault II (PC)
    • Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (PC, N64)
    • Star Wars: TIE Fighter (PC)
    • Star Wars: X-Wing (PC)

Lordban likes this.
  16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I love that one. Especially the Empire character quotes - Palpatine's "never my fault" attitude:

"You have not adequately supported me on my mission - and it has failed"

and the gloriously snide tones of the Imperial droid advisor IMP-22:

"It appears that the Alliance is blockading one of your planets. Perhaps you should do something about it?"

17. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Which one is that? I can't recall it and I'm sure I've played them all.

My all time fav from back at the end of the era listed is Mysteries of the Sith. I bought it on GOG a while back along with a load of others and have set a week free this summer to do pretty much nothing else but game. Cannot wait although I'm slightly afraid of how I'll feel about MOTS after a 20 year hiatus!.Glancing at some screenshots it looks like Star Wars designed by a Minecraft addict:

[​IMG]

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's a strategy game called Star Wars Rebellion (Star Wars Supremacy in the UK). @Jedi Merkurian 's image above is of the strategic screen - with one window open to show the Corellian Sector.

Blobofat and Lordban like this.
  19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The re-releases sounds great.... but I wish more of them were on PS4.

20. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Ahhh, the game where I did a stupid challenge with the Empire on Hard: relocated to the Outer Rim entirely in the first sixty days, fortified the one "central" sector, and went on to retake all 14 other sectors one by one... :p

21. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    [​IMG]

I loved this one back in the day. It was a pretty minimalist kids' game, but the ability to customize your avatar still felt like a new concept back then and the whole experience was very immersive. The puzzles and exploration were a blast, and a more leisurely pace than DF2: Jedi Knight.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  22. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I had this game for my Atari 2600: Return of the Jedi: Death Star Battle

I remember it had some of the best sound-effects of all my Atari games.

23. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    A lot of great games here. I loved the Jedi Knight series & Shadows of the Empire. I also spent a lot of time on Rebellion & Rogue Squadron. A while back I bought a bundle on Steam which had almost all of these. Still fun and brings back a lot of memories.

24. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    The best part of this was promoting Thrawn to admiral of a fleet, naming his flagship Chimera, and sending him out to pacify rebel sectors. Those Dark Troopers were amazing too, they'd wipe out entire rebel armies lol. I never got into the mods but I remember seeing people make Mara Jade as a character too. It was so cool to see all the stuff from the EU come to life.

25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Given how important it is to research the best ships - and that Thrawns's the only major Starship Researcher, sending him out, probably works better later in the game, after you've gotten the best ones.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020