main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Game Of Thrones (uh i guess it's done now? Edit: No!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I think we can all be thankful we didn't get the books' version of Daario Naharis.

[​IMG]

2. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    It's not about Daenerys, she couldn't convince Khal Drogo no matter what she does, Dothraki afraid of the sea and they have no ships. It must be something huge so Drogo would decide to do the craziest thing as a Dothraki Khal, and that craziest thing was attacking Westeros because they just tried to kill his wife.

Everything started there for Daenerys, she couldn't convince Drogo and Drogo wouldn't die because of trying to conquer the world, it means they would just live in Essos without fighting with other Dothraki Khals, it means no entering into the fire for Daenerys after Drogo's death and not coming out with 3 dragons.

3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Any thoughts why Bronn wasn't at the "choosing of the next King" meeting? I'm guessing Tyrion wasn't able to fulfill his promise until after he was freed from jail and made Hand of the King?

4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Again, Drogo's promise wound up being irrelevant because he died. The other Khals stopped following Dany or having any intention to help her invade. It wasn't until she killed them that the other Dothraki decided to cross the Narrow Sea with Dany.

The driving force behind getting the Dothraki across to Westeros was therefore not Drogo or the assassination attempt at all. It was Dany's desire to invade and conquer the Seven Kingdoms. Which she has in mind since the early parts of season 1.

In other words, Robert was right in that she was already planning to fight him and invade for the kingdom. They should have kept trying to kill her. They should have sent every assassin they had. It would have saved a lot of lives.

Again, my point is that rewatching it, Dany clearly has bloodlust from the beginning.

5. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    I think you are making a confusion between seizing an army to retake the throne ( wich the Targaryens, Danny and Viserys, believed was their right) and going maniacal homicidal mass slaughterer.
    From the get going it was set the Targaryens were trying to regain control of the throne. Viserys exchanged Daenerys for an army so he could attack KL. That's obvious.
    But to say that alone was a reasonable to justify Danny's late actions is way far fetched.

If Daenerys was so evil why did she forgive Jaime and Gendry ?
    Or even better why didn't she let the Night King do her "dirty job" ?

The main problem, in the end, is that Daenerys turn contradicted the slow burn character development of the main players of the series.
    The show became hostage of its own qualities.
    Take Cersei for example.
    She begins the show as an unpleasant woman; after Joffrey's death she starts to be more involved in the politics, after her shame walk her character grows to be aomeone determined to grab the power at any cost; only after she destroys the Sept and Tommem dies is that she becomes a full fledged villain, someone so in love with power that can make any alliance, any strategy, so blinded with power that she refused to make any deal, even in face of obvious defeat.
    But it took at least 5 seasons to get there. And it was slow and detailed to the extreme.
    The same can be said about Sansa, who for 4/5 - 5 seasons was just a silly who in the last 3 blossomed into Littlefinger's great aprendice, a true game of thrones player.
    And the list goes on and on.
    Daenerys turn should have lasted a good 3 seasons to be really complete. To be in order with what happened to others characters.

PS: regarding Arya, if she killed about 300 Frey's using her hability to take others identity, imagine what she would have done if she had a dragon. Actually i'll say this: the things the Hound told her before he fought the Mountain were exactly what most people were thinking. Enough was already enough, her thirsty for vegeance ( specially after she killed the greatest menace of all, the Night King) was just poor writing overkill, simply stopped making any sense at the show's end.

Abadacus likes this.
  6. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I think there was also a scene where she had some people crucified. I have cloudy memory of that event, but I do remember that already in that early season I thought that perhaps she was starting to go too far, even if they were despicable people.

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    she was maybe starting to go too far, sure. but the comparison to arya is apt. arya's whole life became centered around her bloodlust to the point where she was in danger of losing herself to it. we're never really led to believe that such a danger exists with dany or that her passion for vengeance and her righteous anger really set her apart from any of the other "good" characters on the show. we do have the knowledge that "sometimes targaryens just go crazy", but her turn was rushed like everything else at the end of the story. could have been better is all.

ami-padme and Abadacus like this.
  8. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    You say Daenerys had the desire to invade and conquer S7 kingdoms which is correct, that's not what I am talking about in here, could she convince Khal Drogo to do that? She already tried and failed when she asked that from Drogo, he said a Khal doesn't need an iron chair and the earth ends at the black salt sea and no horse can cross the poison water. Dothraki invading Westeros never happened in the history, it's a crazy thing.

If Robert never tried to assassinate Daenerys, then Daenerys couldn't convince Khal Drago to invade Westeros.

Then it means Daenerys would be a Khalesi only at Essos, no death of Drogo, no reviving the dragon eggs. Ned was right that Dothraki couldn't pass the sea in normal circumstances and there was no danger, abnormal thing was trying to assassinate Daenerys when Khal Drogo had no intention to invade Westeros, that only provoked Khal Drogo and motivated him to do Daenerys's desire.

My point is there was no need to provoke an enemy that has no desire to invade Westeros, then Robert has seen his mistake on his deathbed and said they should stop it, but he was too late, Robert's hate towards to the Targaryens blinded him and because of that Daenerys managed to convince Drogo, then she somehow resurrected those dragon eggs by burning her dead husband and the witch that poisoned Drogo.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    You're still misunderstanding me. I'm saying her getting Drogo to agree to invade Westeros didn't matter at all. Because he died. And everyone abandoned her.

I'm saying what mattered was that she had an intent already to invade at the time Robert wanted to assassinate her. Robert was right about her, clearly. She was a threat to the Seven Kingdoms, as we saw in the end of the show. It wasn't wrong to try to kill her. The only thing that sucks is that after Robert died, they stopped trying to take her out. Because it would have been better for everyone if they had.

10. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    Ok, I understand that but that's not how the chain reaction works.

Drogo died because he tried to invade Westeros, first they needed ships and they needed money, so in the books, he fights with another Khal for that and gets wounded on the shoulder, then he gets infected and dies because of that wound, you know it was similar in the show,

So Daenerys managed to revive those dragon eggs because Drogo died trying to invade Westeros and he died before doing that. Without Drogo's approval Daenerys couldn't do anything.

Robert can't be right when he himself said he was wrong and Ned was right;

Robert : ''You were right. Stop it if it's not too late.''

Robert was simply blinded by rage and his hate for the Targaryens, he only sees the truth on his deathbed.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Viserys did. Dany, at that point, was more concerned with surviving amongst the Dothraki.

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Eh. The Lannisters also actively wanted the throne and made moves to possess it. Should they have been murdered too?

Also I don’t think you’ve made any case that Danaerys’s invasion or her rule would have been any worse for anyone than the Baratheon, let alone the ongoing civil war. In fact, the show argued that it was some super rare combination of circumstances that made her snap—which contradicts the assertion one episode later that she’s always been dangerous/maniacal, but whatever. Can’t accuse these guys of consistent characterization—so in most cases her invasion should have been just fine. Especially if no one had harassed her with attempted assassinations.

Bob was wrong.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    @solojones weren’t you saying just a few pages ago Arya was completely justified in extrajudicial murder? But Dany is clearly a danger because:

1.) She advocates completely standard punishment for striking royalty
    2.) because she wants to retake her family’s throne? And you know, maybe punish those guilty of treason?

We cheer for the “Battle of the Bastards” and then tsk tsk at Dany.

Utter northern bias.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm not saying Dany is wrong to want to retake her throne. Just that, from the Baratheon perspective, they were also not wrong to want to try to kill her. It wasn't attacking some innocent girl as Ned claimed. The first season makes it clear that Dany, not just Viserys, is intent on reclaiming the throne.

15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    was that ever a controversial point?

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes. Erkan12 has been arguing that the invasion of the Seven Kingdoms only happened because Robert sent assassins after Dany. This is false. It happened because Dany was already bent on it. That's just what convinced Drogo. Which didn't matter because he died before he could do it anyway.

17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I say kill 'em all and let Robespierre sort 'em out.

yankee8255 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You’re peas in a pod to your head admin successor clearly :p

Ramza likes this.
  19. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    and why was Davos there ? he isn't king of one of the kingdoms is he?

20. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    There was also that ridiculous moment in which he says "well, my opinion doesn't count but Yay!"

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Keep in mind that Varys (in season 5) claims that he's been actively working to bring down Robert. He sent the assassin specifically to provoke the Dothraki to commit to invasion.

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well yeah, in the show Varys is one of Dany's biggest supporters in the shadows all along. So yes, he knows it will provoke her. Hell he might have even given them orders to make it look real but not really kill her for all we know. We just know they don't keep trying to kill her, which is interesting.

23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The vast majority of attendees had no purpose being there, let alone the voice they got in the final vote. The most obvious choice to weigh in—as commander of Dany’s Forces and the highest ranking survivor—is bizarrely the only one that didn’t.

Abadacus likes this.
  24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    At the time Ned said all that, Dany was seen as a political nonentity - she wasn't the threat - Viserys and Khal Drogo were. And, until the dragon's hatch, he's mostly right. It makes sense for Ned to take the tack he does.

Which is exactly why Robert repents sending the assassin.

LloydChristmas and Abadacus like this.
  25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I think it was great to have an inside peak at the table reading. Kit's reaction to hearing he kills Dany shows the actors are truly invested in not only their characters but the overall story. I also thought it was great to the actor that plays Varys reaction to his death scene as I read he was really unhappy about it and how he didn't have one last scene with Littlefinger.

Certainly, during the table read it suggested the show would end on that scene. However, that could have been one of the drafts or purposely fraction of the script given to the cast to avoid leaks and spoilers. In the documentary, it showed the production team bringing in The Waif and the Faceless Man onto the set in Spain to throw off snoop hounds for spoilers.

I was disappointed the documentary didn't cover the "Starbucks" coffee cup or the water bottles. However, when the doc featured the meeting to decide who the new king would be, I did see water bottles scattered about.

I was also disappointed the documentary didn't provide any commentary from D&D, especially about the controversial moments of the final season. Hopefully that will come to fruition soon.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  26. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Haven't watched the doc yet, but I imagine the commentary about the episodes in the final season will come in, you know, the commentaries :p On the blu rays.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.