main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Game Of Thrones (uh i guess it's done now? Edit: No!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Ah, ok, as long as people agree with my mocking. :p

yankee8255 likes this.
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    We see that Drogon is pretty dang close to the size of Balerion in the show. Obviously maybe not in the books, but Drogon's head is about the size of Balerion's skull. So I think him being able to destroy stone in the show does track at least.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No, not even close it seems. A bunch of people with WAY too much time on their hands did a comparison between the skull, Cersei, Dany, and Drogon to conclude that Balerion is significantly larger. There are even YouTube videos on it, people are nuts.

And in the books it’s not even close of course, Balerion is supposed to have been big enough to swallow an aurochs or even a mammoth whole.

Drogon is only a few years old. Drogon was CENTURIES old and grew up in Valyria and Dragonstone.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  4. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    lol of course people did that.

dp4m and yankee8255 like this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Most of those were as of Season 6. Isn't the size gap a lot smaller as of season 8?

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I mean, if there's one thing I know about YouTubers, it's that many of them love focusing on skull shapes.

darthcaedus1138 and dp4m like this.
  7. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I‘ve thinking about the ending and how it might play out better in the books, especially given the butterfly effect. A pretty good example is Gendry becoming Lord of Storm‘s End. In the show, they combined Gendry with a second of Robert‘s bastards, Edric Storm. While it was somewhat questionable to have Gendry become Lord, given his almost completely lack of a connection to the Storm Lands, Edric was born and raised at Storm‘s End, and was well liked and respected there. I could definitely see him being legitimized and becoming lord.

blackmyron, Darth Guy and Iron_lord like this.
  8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I just know in show canon, they never said that only Balerion could destroy castles. And Drogon didn't melt the stone at least... just sorta exploded it :p

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In Fire and Blood, a point is made of how Vhagar in the Dance of Dragons era is almost as large as the (now deceased) Balerion. And in A Game of Thrones, Meraxes's skull is specifically larger than Vhagar's (Meraxes could swallow horses, Balerion could swallow aurochs (wild cows). Possibly mammoths, but maybe only young mammoths.)

Conclusion - Meraxes would have been close to Balerion in size. So, chances are, Meraxes could have done the same thing.

I think all three were used as "castle-burners" in the First Dornish War.

10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    maybe we should talk about how viserion took down the wall with ease but couldn't melt one rock that stood between him and jon. :p

11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    You know what dragons can't swallow? Elephants.

ami-padme, BigAl6ft6, Ghost and 2 others like this.
  12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The castle burnings were in response to Meraxes and its rider (Rhaenya?) being killed. It's unclear if the castles were melted like Harrenhal, though I haven't yet read Fire and Blood.

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There was at least a 5 year gap between the start of the Dornish war, and Meraxes's death in 10 AC.

That said, it's possible Meraxes did not tackle any hardened targets. Her target at the start of the war, at least, was Planky Town, rather than a castle.

In 8AC, Vhagar flamed Sunspear, Lemonwood, Ghost Hill, and the Tor.
    In 9AC, Vhagar and Balerion flamed Sandstone, Vaith, and the Hellholt
    In 10 AC, Vhagar flamed Starfall, and Meraxes was shot down at the Hellholt.

During the scouring of Dorne after Meraxes's death, both Vhagar and Balerion were used. A point is made that sand at the Hellholt was fused into glass in places from Balerion's breath.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Drogon got a level-up from the battles in season 7 and took the artillery fire bonus perk.

15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    ... you know this is a Star Wars board, right?

:p

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    A Super Star Destroyer is 8 kilometers in length!

soitscometothis likes this.
  17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yes, my aggressively negative attitude towards so-called canon is more or less constantly reinforced by that fact, actually. :p

blackmyron likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    This is probably what caused Daenerys to go crazy and burn down the city

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That at least makes sense!

20. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    All Targs are Saxtonites.

"WHAT IS THE POWER OUTPUT OF DRAGONFIRE?"

blackmyron likes this.
  21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    "in order to roast hundreds of people and immediately carbonize them into ash, which poor Arya witnesses firsthand, the dragon fire could have reached heights of 10,000 degrees Fahrenheit. We can't know for sure, though.

"Most castles used limestone or sandstone, depending on whatever type of rock was nearby to be quarried," the Reddit user wrote. "The melting point of limestone ranges from 825 C-1339 C. The melting point of sandstone is about 1,300 C but varies based on density." Clearly, we can't know what kind of stone was available near King's Landing when it was first built since it's, ya know, fictional. But, assuming C stands for Celsius, these temperatures would indicate that a dragon's fire would have to be at least 2,400 degrees Fahrenheit to cut through stone, as we witnessed on the show's most recent episode. That's way hotter than your average oven (375 degrees Fahrenheit for fresh-baked direwolf bread)."

solojones and Iron_lord like this.
  22. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Told ya guys. A lot of this stuff they worked towards too quickly, but it's probably because they were trying to stay true to what Martin told them the endings were. Not blaming Martin for the rush, that was their decision. But yeah, like I said... I think most of these main plotpoints are ones we'll see in the books too.

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, my dark theory for the book delays is that Martin also can't figure out how to make this crap work.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  25. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    GRRM says in the article, "...so if nothing else, the readers will learn what happened to Jeyne Poole, Lady Stoneheart, Penny and her pig, Skahaz Shavepate, Arianne Martell, Darkstar, Victarion Greyjoy, Ser Garlan the Gallant, Aegon VI, and a myriad of other characters both great and small that viewers of the show never had the chance to meet."

So yeah, while the main plot points have been covered in the show, he wants to give these characters their due where the show never did because they didn't exist. So if you're super excited about whomever Penny and her pig are then you're in luck!