main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Diversity in the Sequel Trilogy (see warning on page 11)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Rickleo123, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Sorry, that wasn't directed at you specifically; more at other posters who don't believe that the marketing campaign was misleading. Apologies for the confusion. [face_peace]

2. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    What honestly frustrates me with Finn is you'd think that the people LFL offer directing roles to would take a page out of previous Star Wars properties who could actually write these characters well but that just doesn't happen. The fact that Finn's storyline was being shown merely a year after the likes of Jao Assam's in Legacy Vol. 2 just makes it worse.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Abadacus and QuangoFett like this.
  3. dragonchic

dragonchic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2015
    Pretty sure the intention was always for Rey to be the "main" Jedi with Finn as a red herring. But Finn was also originally imagined as a white guy and there apparently wasn't much consideration of the change in optics for that kind of bait-and-switch once John was cast.

4. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I guess that's the logical explanation, but it's still unfortunate that Rian Johnson didn't feel the need to continue that potential aspect of Finn's story. I actually Rey as a protagonist, but I feel like the ST should have just a tiny-bit more Force and lightsaber stuff than it actually does.

5. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I honestly like the core of what Rian was doing with Finn, but I dont wanna get into that fight since it is aside from the point that: yeah as time has went on I have grown to resent the red herring with Finn. That's part of my misgivings with Abrams doing TROS

cerealbox and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  6. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    From an in-universe perspective, Force-sensitivity could be the justification for why Finn - alone out of all the FO troopers - breaks from his conditioning when he does. That brief moment to reaching out to his dying friend, experiencing the rush of emotions from him, and then remaining open to other people who are experiencing death and suffering, could be enough to overwhelm his conditioning.

7. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Which was part of the reasoning of “Force Finn” advocates. And Johnson could have gone in that direction, had he so chose....
    [​IMG]

8. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think the red herring decision was made by Abrams after a few drafts, just because the artwork book seems to feature Kira/Rey with a Lightsaber much more than Sam/Finn. The transition to the imagery cutting off Rey’s lightsaber exposure and placing it in Finn’s hands feels more restricted to marketing.

It probably became an idea he had when he was starting to pepper the story with mystery boxes.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  9. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Which circles back to my distrust of Abrams. Fool me once, and all...

10. Sephiroth1335

Sephiroth1335 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2019
    I feel like the series is fine honslty it's just going in some different directions but that already kinda happened a bit didn't it?

Like when I watched Empire I thought... this really doesn't feel ik like a New Hope at all... like it's a really different bird in my opinion a lot of the elements there
    are really unique to it and it almost feels out of sequence.

So now we have that again to an extent and I feel like yeah that's fine, no big deal.

11. The Deuteragonist

Jun 25, 2018
    That's kind of how I feel about this trilogy as a whole. Nothing about overtly offends me or irritates me. I almost feel bad about how unbothered I actually am about a lot of criticisms regarding diversity in this trilogy. Things I love like Buffy: The Vampire Slayer, a lot of MCU movies, Game of Thrones, Harry Potter and even previous Star Wars movies have problematic elements in them that I could pick apart to death.

But the ST trilogy? It doesn't bother me at all. To me, Rey is a complex layered character. Finn is a strong male lead with great character development. Poe is a likable charismatic character with a good heart. Rose is adorable and groundbreaking. Even things that are arguably problematic are still debatable in my opinion.

12. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I appreciate that in the Sequel Trilogy there was an effort to incorporate the diversity that enriches our world and the galaxy far, far away with Rey as our protagonist, Finn as a black major character, and Rose being the first ethnically Asian character to play such a prominent role in a main Star Wars film. Rey struck me as a strong character with a great combination of wit and compassion especially in the Force Awakens. Rose resonated with me as someone who was clever and courageous and capable of feeling tremendous love for everyone from Finn to her sister. Her line about winning by saving what we love rather than by fighting what we hate did make sense to me on a philosophical level though I felt like Finn had been working to save what he loved throughout the movie so to have that line addressed to him like it was something he needed to learn was kind of narratively awkward at least for me.

As for Finn, I do find him to be a very engaging, charismatic character with a compelling backstory. I have to count myself in the camp of those who assumed from the Force Awakens trailers that he would be a Jedi, which would have been exciting to have a black Jedi as a major character since Mace Windu while second only to Yoda among the prequel Jedi in power and prestige had ultimately been only a minor character in the films. I have to say that I would have found it cool if the Force had Awakened in multiple beings such as Rey and Finn at the same time to sort of rejuvenate the Jedi and the galaxy in the face of a growing evil in the First Order. The biggest thing that probably struck me as tone deaf about Finn's portrayal in the Sequel Trilogy was having him essentially tazed multiple times in Last Jedi. It just felt really horrible to watch in the context of real world police brutality issues that the film didn't seem prepared to address or aware of how what they depicted on screen could relate to that. Despite that, I'm still looking forward to seeing where Finn's journey takes him in the last movie, just as I am also interested in following Rey, Rose, and Poe.

Jedi Merkurian and dragonchic like this.
  13. Jar Jar Skywalker

Jar Jar Skywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2017
    Not at all. Rey is a simple female empowerment character, Finn is a clown who's story has been wasted, Poe is just bland Resistance pilot. Rose is a horrible sidekick, a diversity hire.

This trilogy overall is just a big failure in almost every aspect

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  14. The Deuteragonist

Jun 25, 2018
    Hey, I understand that you disagree and that's totally fine. However, I'm already kind of aware of your opinion on the ST and I don't want to sound harsh but...you're not really stating anything new here. Just saying "Nope, you're wrong, these characters suck" is not really a counterargument and comes off as...pretty condescending.

Also, saying that Rose is just a "diversity hire" without any context or exploration of the term doesn't really help.

15. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Agreed. Let's try to add more to the discussion than simply "Nuh, uh".

16. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I forgot to include this in my first post on this thread, but I did want to comment on how Rose and Finn's kiss gave us an interracial couple in the Sequel Trilogy. I thought that was really cool, especially since I like both Rose and Finn.

17. bkiddo

bkiddo Jedi Padawan

Dec 6, 2017
    I've been feeling a bit down about the sequel trilogy in this regard because while a number of strides have been made with respect to diversity, there's still been no expressly LGBT+ moment, and I doubt The Rise of Skywalker will change that.

I should stress that what I've heard about The Rise of Skywalker more generally has me excited to see it and thinking it will be a fine conclusion (for now, at least) to the Episodic films.

18. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @bkiddo You're right that the LGBT+ community has so far not been represented in the ST (and currently like you I don't have high hopes of TROS changing that but would be happy to be proven wrong in this regard) but I am at least encouraged by the fact that there seems to have been an effort to incorporate more LGBTQ+ characters into the Star Wars novels. Hopefully future Star Wars movies can follow the footsteps of the novels and improve LGBTQ+ representation. I think the ST has made some promising strides on the diversity front, but there is still very much room for improvement, so hopefully we see that improvement in future Star Wars movies.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  19. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I think it’s definitely a missed opportunity for the ST to includes a LGBTQ character. Especially since the newer books and comics have done a really good job with this.

At this point I would say it’s more likely that one of the live action TV shows will be the first to include a LGBTQ character.

20. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @starfish I forgot about the TV shows when I made my post (silly me), but I agree that we might see some LGBTQ+ representation in those and I hope that we do.

Jedi Merkurian , starfish and bkiddo like this.
  21. The Deuteragonist

Jun 25, 2018
    I feel the need to mention that the lack of LGBTQ+ characters is a problem in blockbuster films in general. The MCU also barely has any and the only major blockbuster franchise I can think of at the moment that has representation are the Star Trek films.

When it comes to ST films, it's weird because there are characters like Poe and Holdo who are implied to not be exactly straight, but there is no confirmation whatsoever. I think it would be a little odd to not include LGBTQ character in TROS, but just because there is representation doesn't mean it's always good representation. I think the best bet would be to reveal an already important character as non-straight instead.

22. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    Considering the last time they had an LGBTQ+ character turned out to just be them saying it in interviews and never once reflecting it on screen and seemingly confused on the word's definition, I'm unfortunately not holding my breath that anything happens in TROS. I'd like it to, but their on-screen output doesn't give me any hope they do it this time. I'll be happy if I'm wrong.

23. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @The Deuteragonist I definitely agree that lack LGBTQ+ representation is a problem in blockbusters and really in most forms of media in general, unfortunately. I also think that you're right to point out that sadly not all representation is good representation. Once the representation occurs, the important conversations about whether it was good or not so good representation certainly need to occur.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  24. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I don't care whether Finn is Force sensitive or not. But I disliked how Johnson had seemed to transform Finn from the trilogy's leading man into a supporting character . . . with the backing of Lucasfilm. At least, that is how it seemed to me.

I heard Lucasfilm had released a novel that revealed Holdo was LGBTQ, but I've never heard or seen any indication that Poe Dameron was. I've only heard wishful thinking of many fans who wanted him to have a romance with Finn.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, Holdo was bi in the young Leia novel, or at least implied as such.