main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion UPDATED: Game of Thrones Creators NOT to Write/Produce a New Series of Star Wars Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Diego Lucas, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, agreed on all of this.

2. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    If Weiss and Benioff set their movie after the events of TROS and didn't include the ST cast I wonder how well that would go over with the audience? I suppose one way to avoid having audiences wonder where Rey and Co. are is to set the movie a thousand years in the future but by doing so you're effectively killing off every single character from the the previous Star Wars movies. Would Disney really be cool with that?

Then again they could set their movie in a remote part of the galaxy.

Eh who am I kidding? It's going to be another flippin' prequel.

3. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    Dexter Jettster in culinary school learning to make pancakes? [face_praying]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Sephiroth1335

Sephiroth1335 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2019
    "What I desire for SW more than anything is the building of that larger mythology. If they can do this without Lucas, that will be an impressive feat."

That all overall sounds like a strong way to improve the series popularity and stuff.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  5. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    This is my main concern as well. They only have two options I believe: hundreds of years into the future after IX or The Old Republic. As you say, if they go for the former, they are effectively putting a cap on whatever it is they have in mind for the ST cast. They could do that and continue with Rey, Finn and Poe in a TV series in a few years.

But my guess is they will want to play it safe and just go Jedi vs Sith in an old republic series, leaving IX as the end of the timeline for now.

6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I don’t see how going way back in time is playing it safe, but I agree that we are likely to go into the deep past.

7. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I would also like to go far in the future taking place after The Rise of Skywalker.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Meh. Far future Star Wars puts unnecessary limits on content set in the nearer future, so I don’t think it’s a great idea. It essentially sets everything after it up to be a prequel. So I think it makes far more sense to go into the deep past, the past and the near future with new Star Wars content.

PymParticles , EHT and TCF-1138 like this.
  9. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    That's why the past is safer IMO. It is an era already loved by fans which does not condition what might come after IX and it gives the opportunity to LFL of using several Jedi vs Sith battles.

My guess is TOR movies in 2022, 2024, 2026, three year break and more movies with the ST cast in 2029.

10. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Rogue One, Solo, The Mando show, the Cassian show, the PT. The powers that be love prequels. I think that’s what we’ll be getting for years now.

2Cleva likes this.
  11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    But the timelines, distances and locations are so vast and varied, that calling an Old Republic film or a Jedi origins film a prequel is almost meaningless.

After all, nobody complained about the movie Gladiator being a prequel to Braveheart...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    TCF-1138 likes this.
  12. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    It...wasn't.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  13. Old Republic is my only hope in this franchise

14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think for a while now we will get prequels in form of movies, TV and books. Right now it's in the Skywalker saga timeline, but by 2022 we will be getting old republic timeline canon material. Once those movies is done we might start to see what happens after the Skywalker saga timeline. In 10 years from now on, we might see old Rey training jedi or go hundreds years into the furure and see jedi around like in old days.

15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I did.
    I also complained about 10,000 BC being a prequel to Blade Runner. [face_not_talking]

16. I wish that the fate of the galaxy post-Rise of Skywalker to be a mystery
    Not everything needs an explanation I'm good with having only prequels the old republic is a very extensive era that can literally give us decades of new movies and tv shows
    and about the ST I just see a prequel maybe an animated show about Luke and Ben pre TFA

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2019
    TCF-1138 likes this.
  17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Couldn't agree more. Leave the post TROS galaxy alone, at least for a good long while. Then maybe we can have a sequel in a decade or two (or even three), telling us where Rey and the gang ended up.
    I'd honestly like it if the only sequel to TROS we got were comic books and novels - like the old EU.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I understand wanting to leave post TROS in mystery. But i think in a decade we will see that wether Rey ør far into the furure. The old republic timeline material is the next big thing. We could get Kotor and before. Maybe we can get some stories before the forming of the republic.

19. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Eh call it what you want. I'd rather see stories about the repercussions of the events from the ST than to see a story about something that happened a zillion years ago. I have a connection to the events and characters of the ST and I want to see how that plays out.Going way back in time means mothballing all the characters, and history of the OT, and ST, i.e. all the things that I've cared about in Star Wars.

When ROTJ ended I dreamed of one day seeing Star Wars movies that explained what happened after battle of Endor and the destruction of the second Death Star. Instead I got three prequels. I really don't want that sort of situation again with the Weiss and Benioff's movies.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy movies that take place in the past and I'll likely see any Star Wars movie and TV show regardless of when it's set but if I had my druthers I'd set the next set of movies and shows after TROS.

20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That was the joke (and the point). Something that happened prior to something else on Earth wouldn’t be called a prequel for that simple fact alone. And even within the same political system (and within a related subject area) it’s a strange thing to assert. Like saying Lincoln is a prequel to Selma. It’s a pretty meaningless description. I don’t see why the same doesn’t apply in Star Wars when talking about events deep in the past.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  21. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    I get what you are saying and agree with it. IMO those movies after IX will come. But it is obvious they want to leave time and space for them to breathe, especially the actors involved. That's why starting a second saga in the distant past allows LFL to keep milking the cow without exhausting a particular part of the timeline.

My guess is we will end up having 10 years of GFFA, 10 years of TOR, another 10 years of GFFA...

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  22. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Yeah I'm also thinking that going back in time would give the ST cast a break though I feel like they could make movies set after TROS that simply focused on new characters that were impacted by what happened in the ST. I thought that worked well enough in the MCU. I never minded that all the Avengers weren't swooping to the Marvel TV shows or non-Avengers movies. Seems like Star Wars could do that too. Is Disney really worried that too many people would be wondering where the ST cast is if they chose to tell a smaller story around new characters that took place post-TROS?

23. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    You know what, I've never really considered this before. You've convinced me; the best way for Star Wars to move into the future is to explore the distant past.

24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Instead of having a Saga focused on a single family I'd like to see a "Force Saga". First trilogy would show the Sith breaking away from the Jedi, second trilogy would be set in the KOTOR era and show the Sith Empire at its height and the third trilogy would follow the rise of Darth Bane, the destruction of the Sith and Bane instituting the Rule of Two. Instead of a decade or two between each trilogy there would be several thousand years. Lots of room for further stories to be told.

25. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    And with that, I suggest Kathleen Kennedy be removed and replaced with Darth Chiznuk.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.