main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vintage-Compatible Action Figures

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Horror_Express, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Horror_Express

Horror_Express Jedi Master star 1

Apr 19, 2002
    Has anyone ever wished that Hasbro would make vintage-compatible action figures, as well as vehicles and playsets, of characters from sources other than the OT? I have wished for something like this since TPM came out. I missed out on the vintage figures when I was a kid, other than a four-pack of recasts (Luke, Vader, Han, and Chewie) Hasbro released around the time that Power of the Force 1995 started.

I don't need realistic or otherwise fashionable sculpts: give me something that hearkens back to the good ol' days I missed out on. I would personally like a vintage-style Qui-Gon Jinn, among others of my favorite characters. It would be a billion dollar idea, seeing as Hasbro has never done this, even though the market for it would eventually cool off.

I have heard tell of Hasbro making recasts of the vintage line, including one new figure (Grand Moff Tarkin). Could this be a testing of the waters for something like what I am talking about? Does anyone know why they haven't done something like this sooner? For instance, are the rights for the Kenner-style sculpts not in Hasbro's hands for some reason? If they were worried about making collectors angry, it seems like recasting existing figures is more likely to do that than making ones based on the myriad characters who never got a vintage sculpt. Also, Funko seems to have already used this idea with their Reaction Figures line of products.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  2. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    This is an idea they are discussing for sure. I wouldn't mind see prequel figures in that vintage 5-7poa mold. Give them the vintage style cardback to go with it.
    Just got that Tarkin today as it seems very popular.

3. Horror_Express

Apr 19, 2002
    I have not gotten a good look at that Tarkin sculpt. Does it look like the old figures? Are the other new vintage recasts identical to their actual vintage counterparts?

4. whostheBossk

Apr 16, 2002
    Yes the recast are almost identical minus brighter coloring and maybe a bit bigger/taller.
    The Tarkin looks spot on as a vintage figure, even smiling like they would have made him do. He uses a Death Squad Commander type body. Only available with Escape the Death Star Board game.

5. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    I can't wait to snag this game!!!!

6. Horror_Express

Apr 19, 2002
    Weird. I looked up some photos, and that Tarkin looks more like the Power of the Force 2 figure than a Vintage-style sculpt.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  7. ForScience

ForScience Jedi Padawan

Apr 8, 2019
    To me he looks more a 1985 figure than a 1978 figure, but he is still in the Vintage style and what we could have gotten in 1986 had they continued the line.

whostheBossk and Horror_Express like this.
  8. whostheBossk

Apr 16, 2002
    Absolutely. They would have done a newly sculpted head on a Death Squad Commander.
    I hope I get around to opening mine soon.

How has everyone done with the Retro Collection thus far?

9. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I don't get to Target very often these days, but my friend and fellow collector who does says that his local Target hasn't had them in. Not sure if they just sold through them quickly or didn't get them period. Either is possible, as reports say they've sold very, very briskly and of course distribution is notoriously spotty.

Given the brisk sales I'd wager the Retro Collection will be extended. Probably tied into the 40th Anniversary of TESB next year.

10. whostheBossk

Apr 16, 2002
    I hope so, as no Target store in 30 mile radius has them. I've never even seen them on any pegs. Just the few I bought by asking employees to pull from the back.
    I did have the excitement of opening the Retro Han and Vader yesterday for son's 4th birthday. It was quite exhilarating opening them as he asked me so I carefully opened them. It was as close to going through a time machine as when we were that age opening them!