main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Census Books: What's your Preference?

Discussion in 'Community' started by SithSense, Jul 9, 2019.

?

How do you prefer the written word?

Poll closed Jul 8, 2020.
  1. - Paper

80.4%
  2. - E-Readers (Kindle, Nook, etc.)

17.9%
  3. - Audiobook

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. - Listening to the Audiobook while reading along with the Paper or E-Reader.

1.8%
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Buy a book on Amazon but also on Audible. Buy buy buy!

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  2. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    the Rinzler making of Star Wars Books on Kindle are very cool. Interviews and videos are imbedded throughout the book.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Paper girl at heart.

Rylo Ken and JediYvette like this.
  4. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    Paper for pleasure reading. Textbooks can be either. Preferably the cheapest version. :p

Ahsoka's Tano and Juliet316 like this.
  5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I could never, ever do audiobooks. I wouldn’t be able to concentrate on them properly and it would be a huge pain in the ass to backtrack or anything, and there’s no way to linger or anything. It’s totally the opposite of how I want to engage with books.

Ebooks I just refuse to do. Reading is more than just a way to take in information for me; it’s a hobby, and it’s an integral part of my life, and I just love the experience of books. That’s what I know and what I love, and a collection of files on yet another electronic device does not compare at all to the experience of holding a book, the smell, the tactile qualities of turning the pages. It also doesn’t compare to the sight of bookcases full of books. There’s something insubstantial about digital media that displeases me, a lack of true possession; it’s the same reason I buy movies and TV on disk if I want to own it. There’s probably some element of collecting there; this is my hobby and I enjoy the physical and visual aspect of collecting, categorizing, expanding the collection, experiencing ownership, through books rather than coins or stamps or model airplanes or whatever.

I love my collection of books and I don’t see that ever changing. I also don’t read on the go; I like to settle in with a book for sustained engagement, so I have little incentive to change over for any convenience factor. As for storage, yeah, it’s a constraint, but I will find the space. It’s worth it to me.

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I like physical books and ebooks about equally. Depending on the circumstances I might want one over the other, but in the end I'm fine with whatever, I'll enjoy reading no matter what.

7. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    Physical books

8. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Paper or e-book. But I voted for paper.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I sometimes listen to audiobooks when I'm out doing nature photography by myself, but other than that, paper books all the way.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Paper - preferably hardbacks.

If you're going to do audio, go all the way and full cast. For this reason I love full cast stuff like the BBC and Big Finish do, but don't feel the need to check out audiobooks as a result.

11. Vault

Vault Jedi Master star 1

Jan 18, 2010
    Gotta be ebooks for me. It's just easier. I do love owning physical, but I'm too spoiled by ereader features these days.

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It'll be paper forever and always.

13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I do enough on screens. I look at screens and read words off of screens all day. Reading words off of paper is a totally different experience, all the way down to the brain activity it stimulates. I will always read a paper-book as first choice; I read e-books if I absolutely must.

I love podcasts, but that doesn't really translate to audiobooks for me. I just feel like books are, well, they're meant to be books. Podcasts are made to be listened to, just as music is and just as movies are made to be watched. Books are made to be read. Nobody sits down at their desk to write an audiobook. Writers write because they want to be read.

I understand the utility of audiobooks for people who don't have time to read and I also appreciate the way e-books have made books more widely and instantly available for people who otherwise maybe wouldn't have access to them. So I'm not saying either of those things are evil; they have their purposes - their purposes just aren't, for me, to replace physical books.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  14. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    I prefer paper, but sometimes I'll get an older book both in paper and electronic form so I can continue reading, no matter where I am. And I prefer older books for this because most of the time, they're free. Frankenstein, Wieland, Castle of Otranto, Rebecca, The Complete HP Lovecraft, etc. Almost finished with One for the Morning Glory and am debating next on The Great Merlini or The Pickman Papers.

Sarge likes this.
  15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I got the Complete HP Lovecraft (Kindle) for 99p on Amazon UK. I'm currently rereading IT by Stephen King since part 2 comes out next month.

Darth Dark Helmet likes this.
  16. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Used to be a paper purist, until one holiday meant I had limited storage space. I brought a kindle instead, and fell in love. Now the only paper books I'll actively buy are out-of-print Doctor Who novels that have no ebook.

It's just more convenient having a) all my books at all times, b) no awkward holding the pages of a paperback, c) I don't lose my place as easily.

I've listened to a few audiobooks, mostly on long car journeys, but my preference is to audio dramas (full cast), which for Doctor Who there are basically an infinite amount and are there own thing, not replacing a written work.

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I still prefer paper but storage space for books is an issue. I will read paper books in the run-up to bedtime as I sleep better if I'm away for a screen for a few hours.

18. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Rock paper kindle. Old school-ish.

I have got loads of audiobooks and barely have listened to an 1/8th of them. Fact or biographies work better than fiction, at least when I'm driving.
    The only two Star Wars audiobooks I've got through were Kenobi and Revenge of the Sith (which is really good). The others get on my nerves. The narrator of Master and Apprentice was so over the top I wanted to interrupt the bluetooth airwaves with a looped wilhelm scream. He announced "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" as if he was trying to seduce a sponge cake.

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I got the RoTS one on 4 CDs. Still haven't listened to it. I got it in a closing-down sale at a local record/CD store for £5. I basically went through the store picking up any CD or PS2 game that interested me at rock-bottom prices.

20. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I wonder if there's ever going to be a time where the publishing companies will decide to include a code for the digital download of either an audiobook or ebook to go along with the physical book; similar to what you find these days in Blu-ray combos that include the digital versions. If you think about it, it kind of makes sense. I mean there are places like Amazon Prime, YouTube, iTunes, etc. where you can purchase the full streamed movie that would be identical to what's included in the Blu-ray jacket. It's funny, when I bought the physical Ahsoka book that Ashley Eckstein signed (see signature) off of Amazon I accidentally purchased the ebook as well.

When I worked in publishing we got to the point where we actually talked about doing this (at least to boost the sales of our physical books), but we never got around to it and the company went under.

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    There might be licensing or copyright issues with that type of thing for those not in the country where they bought the book. For example, I can buy books from the US Amazon site if I can't find them on the UK site. However, for Kindle books I have to use the UK site. I have a friend who uses Audible in the US and I think there are similar restrictions there. (I don't use it so I don't know).

22. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I prefer paper 100%. I had a kindle once, and it goofed up and died on me. Same with a Nook I once bought. Never bothered with ereaders after that. What can I say, I love seeing them in my shelf as well! I suppose I'm just vain like that.

This summer has been the summer of Wheel of Time for me. Up to Dragon Reborn at the moment. I slowed down my reading considerably in July and haven't regained my pace since. Need to get back to it!

23. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I love my Kindle Paperwhite. I used to be physical books only, but the convenience factor is great.

I'll still get physical copies of more reference-y books, things like Basketball (and Other Things) with a ton of images, or "prestige-y" books like Breaking Bad 101 or The Sopranos Sessions.

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Same model as I have. It's been pretty good once I got used to it.

25. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I didn't change my vote, but this morning I began listening to an audiobook I borrowed from my local library through the Overdrive app. I used it through my car's new Android Auto device to listen to on my way to work this morning. It certainly has it's own unique charm to it; especially when the reader really gets into the story by distinguishing character voices and conveying their emotions. Even though I own and have read through the Ahsoka novel more than once, I've put that on "hold" as an audiobook because Ashley Eckstein reads through it herself.