main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek] Happy Domestication Mods Challenge, Time-Challenge

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Aug 20, 2019.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Author: WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Characters: Jim/Audrey & Skylar & Nyota

Disclaimer: Borrowing with affection.

Note: Written for the Mods Challenge with the following prompts.
    14, tier 3
    1. Your random element is: Spoils
    2. Your forecast is: Tornado
    3. Your required line of dialogue is: "That's not a question you answer with another question!"
    4. Your recycled quote from a challenge is: "When sorrows come, they come not as single spies, but in battalions." - Hamlet, From the Shakespearian Quote Roulette
    5. Your TV Trope is: Amnesiac Hero
    6. Your Reaction Gif is: (https://media.giphy.com/media/5GoVLqeAOo6PK/giphy.gif)
    [​IMG]
    7. Your artwork is: Valkyrie - Konstantin Vasilyev
    [​IMG]
    8. Your picture prompt is:
    [​IMG]
    Original Link: https://pixabay.com/illustrations/blueprint-technical-drawing-4056027/

~

"Jim tangled with Admiral Fionacci again." Audrey said indulgently to Nyota over the comm. "Over Fleet funding. Admiral Nogura is on Jim's side ... more allocated to first contact."

Nyota smiled in fond understanding. "Yes, I can well believe that. First contact is where the action is! In a battle of wit and words, Jim will always come away with the spoils of victory. Anyone who can best a Klingon or Romulan Commander always will."

Audrey's reply was cut off by a call from Jim who wanted to know if she knew where his itinerary was for the upcoming round of functions and meetings.

She answered: "You'd be able to find it if your office space wasn't such a mess! It looks like a tornado went through there!"

Jim said with a chuckle: "We need to hire one of those home organizers."

"No, we don't. We could avoid half the time you waste if you'd keep your space clean in the first place."

He laughed at her snark.

Audrey came back to Nyota: "I'll comm you back later."

Nyota grinned. "Okay."

After a Starfleet honorary banquet, Audrey and Jim slipped away for a long weekend at the lake. They rented a bungalow and enjoyed the serenity of the surroundings.

"Do you ever regret stepping down from active command, really? Do you ever wish you could go back?" Audrey asked, in all honesty.

"What makes you wonder that now?" Jim asked.

"That's not a question you answer with another question!" Audrey exclaimed. "You don't feel stuck, do you?"

He gave it a long thought. "There are aspects I don't like, with a passion." He answered with a shrug. "But I wouldn't trade our family time for all the adventuring, and no, I'm not just saying that to make you 'feel better.'"

She grinned, feeling relieved.

During this same family getaway, Skylar and Jim built model starships. They chatted with enthusiasm about the specifications of speed and armament and aesthetic layout for comfort of crew and passengers. Skylar was not one for long introspection, but he could not deny that he felt enfolded and loved. When he had learned that Audrey and Jim were going to have twins, it caused him a momentary pang, but they had made him feel a part of everything from the start--thinking of names, decorating the baby-space, etc. Never for one moment did they make him feel like he would take second place, although naturally the new arrivals would demand more physical time, and frankly he had been enthralled by Valory and Amber.

"So, what shall we call this marvel of engineering?" Jim asked.

"The Star Farer." Skylar suggested.

"Excellent choice!" Jim said.

When Audrey returned from her mini-vacation, she called Nyota and asked her to have brunch.

"This was so fun and scrumptious!" Nyota enthused over the waffles smothered in chocolate and thick slices of bacon. "Look what I found on my datapad. I just had to read it again! My niece wrote a creative writing story about her favorite sci-fi pairing. Strange to say, in all the stories I've read featuring this couple, it's always the lady who has the issue ... in this case, amnesia. The process of her regaining her memories and falling back in love with her fiance (as he usually is) is delicious!"

Audrey laughed. "Why is it always the lady?"

Nyota grimaced. "To quote from Hamlet, 'When sorrows come, they come not as single spies, but in battalions.' The gentleman is prey to so many literal wounds, etc., that I guess the authors take pity and decide to afflict the woman for a change."

A week later, Audrey experienced a serious, dismaying inconvenience when her padd fizzled out on her. The task of transferring backup data to the new device was tedious, but thankfully seamless since Audrey had back-ups. Her screen savers were gone, however.

Jim downloaded one for her with a note that read: "You have all the grace and strength of all mythic handmaidens from Valkyrie to Nabooian."

She was deeply touched and thanked him with warm slices of Dutch apple pie and vanilla ice cream for dessert.

"Never would I have expected to be so glad to be domesticated." He confided.

She laughed. "Domesticated?! What a word to describe it!"

He winked. "I know, but still ..."

"I'm very happy you feel that way. I do, as well."

"It's all thanks to you and the kids, every bit of it," he answered, hugging her tightly.

++++

Second Note: The pairing I was referring to is Luke and Mara; the fanfictions I've read almost always feature Mara with amnesia [face_laugh] [face_mischief]

2. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    He knew they'd be important to her so he worked on that problem right away, and that's fantastic how the Valkyries tie in with Naboo's girl brigade!=D=

3. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    You got done so fast! Wonderful depictions of their family interactions.

4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Sweet group of scenes, in true Nyota fashion, covering the full range of relationships from friendship to family to romantic love. [face_love] Such a diverse group of prompts, too, and I love how each of them enhanced the closeness of each of the relationships portrayed—from Audrey's ribbing about the tornado-struck state of her husband's office, to the blueprints to Skylar's latest model-building project, to Jim's praise of his wife's Valkyrie-like strength of will. And nice little "meta-reference" to L/M there, very clever! :D Thanks so much for sharing this lovely little story with the challenge! =D=

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Great scenes and an inspiration for all who love Mara/Luke uh Jim/Audrey

6. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    The same as with your 48 hour tier, I am really impressed that you could blend such disparate prompts and make a 'slice-of-life' story that showcased our heroes going about their day to day dealings so seamlessly. I'd be hard pressed to pick out which parts of this were prompts, and which was just you, in all honesty. [face_love] =D=

In particular, I enjoyed . . .

Even when not at the helm of an actual ship, Kirk is a force to be reckoned with! It's true! There's plenty to stake your ground and fight for with things like policy and budgets. What a great use of 'spoils.'

[face_laugh] And, well, other things never change either! A creative use of the weather prompt. =D=

Aw! [face_love] I like how this conversation tied back into the beginning - while captaining the Enterprise was a beautiful period of their life, they've settled in with their family on the ground, and that's just as beautiful an adventure - and one fraught with no less wonder and excitement - on a day to day basis.

Still - you can't begrudge Audrey wanting to make sure, Just in case. :p

This was a fantastic way to use the blueprint prompt - not only literally for the model starships, but for the deeper implications with Skylar figuring out how he fits into his growing family. He's a piece of them, never in the least bit an integral part, no matter whatever doubts and insecurities may creep up on him. Now, there's just more love to share all around with his siblings to grow up with. [face_love]

You know what, it is all too often the lady, isn't it? :p But that's a very interesting way to think about it. [face_thinking]

As always, it's wonderful, too, when you can bring in the cross-fandom references. [face_mischief] :D

Nice! A great way to include your picture prompt. [face_love]

Thanks for participating in the challenge, again! I am beyond impressed that you were able to churn this one out so fast, too! Your muse is certainly enviable, in the best of ways! =D= [:D]

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks so much!! A diversity of wonderful relationships full of banter and candor and love... [face_dancing] These prompts lent themselves to that superbly!

:cool:

pronker and Mira_Jade like this.
  8. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I love these family interactions! So mushy

Bahaha! Sounds like Jim!

Hehehe. I loved the meta-ness of this moment!

Great job with all the prompts!