main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Is R1 Your New Favorite?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Doom Trooper, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Tudyk is a master.

jeangreyforever likes this.
  2. jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2019
    I can't wait to see him reprise the role with Diego Luna in the Cassian series.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Please do not post spoilers/rumours for upcoming movies in the Released Films sections.

4. avcpl

avcpl Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2016
    For some strange reason Rogue One is trending on twitter right now...
    Seeing lots of praise for the movie which is nice; maybe it is finally getting some of the respect it deserves? (lots of haters tweeting too, but that's not the least bit surprising!)

BadAcrobat, Bor Mullet and Sarge like this.
  5. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Rogue One is the best Disney era film hands down IMO. Solo is fun too.

6. avcpl

avcpl Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2016
    Last I saw there were 22 thousand tweets about R1 on a random Friday night...weird.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Since the second time I saw the film, I declared that history would look very kindly on it, and that it would become the ESB of the Disney era. I think I was right. :)

avcpl likes this.
  8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

This is why I presume: This guy is big in the Cinematic Youtube Online Analysis community.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2019
  9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I strongly disagree with him on his RO ranking (I rank it first)

I agree with him on the major differences between objective filmmaking vs. subective filmmaking (I much prefer the former, which is why I like RO and ANH best, and don't like most Spielberg, Abrams, and Jackson films because their subjective approach is too emotionally manipulative...)

I agree with him on the visual brilliance of RO, which is similar to the visual brilliance of ANH - focused on careful framing and scale, and grounding in reality.

Everything he says explains why I vastly prefer RO and the OT to the ST.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Jackson or Johnson, I assume you mean Johnson ;p

And I think that's fine, because...People do view Star Wars differently...I want a Star Wars that goes full on Fantasy with Castles, wizards and weird induced magic spells. (Not harry potter obviously but....More magic than just...FORCE PUSH)

11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I actually meant Peter Jackson. :)

Johnson is a weird one, because most of his films (Looper and Brick) aren't that subjective and emotionally manipulative, but TLJ went hard in that direction (which is why I was surprised by it, and didn't enjoy it much).

RO is fascinating, because it is the biggest departure in terms of film-making style, but it still gets at a very objective approach that is similar to ANH, just from a different angle. ANH is more traditionally objective (in the Fordian/ Lean sense), while RO is less conventionally objective (in the cinema verite vein). So despite being very different styles, they both arrive at the same objective, non-manipulative place. There's a distance between us and the characters that lends exquisite scale and world-building depth to both films. I feel the opposite about the ST. Both JJ and RJ have managed to dramatically shrink the GFFA, with their focus on hammering me over the head with the characters' parochial inner worlds, at the expense of an interesting world, culture and events.

In summary:

ANH and RO are star-gazing films, while TFA and TLJ are navel-gazing films.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Ah see i guess that is the split.

I'm a character first and world is second kinda guy...I honestly don't care about the world, I mean I like the world and all but if I don't have good characters then I don't care (Plus over the years I've found ANH boring and honestly the characters are better in the sequels) so I guess that is more where the split is. Now honestly a balance is nice to have, but I will take character over world any day. Those are my priorities.

Different priorities for different folks.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2019
    Kole and Bor Mullet like this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    To me, complex social systems are far more interesting than individuals (though I am also interested in them, if they are...interesting people operating within those social systems). That explains nearly all of my fandoms, which seem disparate as they are not all "genre" films and shows, but are all connected through their depiction of super-interesting and layered worlds/ cultures/ societies that I don't experience in daily life.

Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica (vast and layered interstellar civilizations)
    The Wire (the fascinating ecosystem that is Baltimore)
    Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones (in-depth myth and history-inspired civilizations)
    Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul (the drug world of the Southwest)

All of these shows are interesting to me because they present fascinating and richly-realized worlds. While also giving me realistic characters operating in those worlds.

Rogue One strikes that balance best, in my view. Across all the Star Wars films, with A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back and Solo trailing just behind.

14. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I'm going to heap a little more praise to RO, to which I'm sure @Bor Mullet wouldn't mind seeing. :p

The soundtrack is underrated and while not hated it's sadly not talked about much. A shame, especially with how surprisingly potent some of these tracks are. I mean the soundtrack does what every piece of Star Wars music should do which is truly enhance the film experience as I believe these tracks do wonderfully. Another reason why this among my favorite Star Wars films.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    How did you know I would like this!? ;)

Also, “Your Father Would be Proud,” and the Saw Guerrera theme in RO, are IMO the best Star Wars music we’ve gotten since TPM.

And not only did Giacchino create a great score, he...did it in four weeks. Four weeks! He should be a legend for this.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don’t know that the split is “character vs world,” but I suppose it depends on how one defines “character.”

I do like seeing how characters interact with each other and how friendships evolve. I loved the OT3 (or 4) and the Anakin/Obi-Wan dynamic, especially in TCW, for that reason. I also liked Rey and Finn, and Finn and Poe, in TFA for that reason, as well as Chirrut and Baze.

And banter. I love banter, and all the character interactions I listed have it. And for banter among enemies, Ventress vs Obi-Wan and Anakin in TCW is priceless.

I like seeing a badass character or team of badass characters taking on an oppressive political or sociopolitical system and scoring a victory, even a marginal one, and that was my favorite aspect of Rogue One. I guess that could be considered preferring “world” over “character”.

And I despise the idea of watching a character navel-gaze, which is why Rey asking Luke and Kylo to “show her her place in this” made me want to throw popcorn.

17. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    No, "Rogue One" is not my favorite Star Wars movie. It's not even my second favorite movie in the franchise. It's certainly better than any of crappy films in the Sequel Trilogy. There are times when I prefer it over "Solo". And there are times when I prefer the 2018 film. But it's not my favorite Star Wars movie.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    DarthFixxxer likes this.
  18. AnakinTheChosenOne

AnakinTheChosenOne Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 25, 2019
    When I first saw Rogue One I was in love, the more I thought about it the more I found it to be the most unnecessary SW film to date. It's not bad but I do not revisit it often and I always skip it during my annual SW marathon. (Also, the soundtrack is god awful.)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  19. IHeartKenobi89

IHeartKenobi89 Force Ghost star 5

Nov 17, 2019
    I find Rogue One to be an interesting movie, but I wouldn't name it a favourite of mine.

20. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    In my opinion, Rogue One is the best Star Wars film produced by Disney. If they continue down this road in this manner, they won't outdo it. I like TFA, and while TROS looks like it will be much better than TLJ and more on par with TFA, I can't say that the sequel trilogy has been as good as R1. We'll see how the company evolves after 2020.

21. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    I never wanted to love a movie as much as I wanted to love R1. It was supposed to be the dark, gritty movie I'd been clamoring for since getting a taste of the fine storytelling in the Clone Wars series. Hoping for a Krennic that was much more charismatic and menacing, let down by the utilization of CGI characters and superfluous supporting characters, and - yes, I said it - finding the Vader scene to be little more than urgency-sapping, I still found it a good movie...but am never tempted to rewatch it.

I did find Diego Luna's effort to be TOP NOTCH, and his toe-to-toe exchange with Jyn in the ship after their escape to be emotionally hard-hitting.

obi1jedinite likes this.
  22. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    R1 is my favourite Disney SW movie.

But everything George made, I still like more.

23. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Great performances from Mads Mikkelsen and Felicity Jones. Makes me cry every time.

24. obi1jedinite

obi1jedinite Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2002
    I'm not a fan of R1. It feels way too choppy to me, the editing is all over the place, I think the characters are boring, and I found the story unnecessary. I don't hate it by any means. It's visually stunning, the action is well directed, it's filled with good performances (which is actually disappointing because it's in service of characters I don't care about) and even though it's pure fan service, I still like all the Vader stuff. It's better than Solo in my opinion, but I like TFA and TLJ far more.

25. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    RO doesn't beat the OT and PT for me, but it is my favorite non-Lucas film. Not my favorite non-Lucas thing; that goes to the Clone Wars micro-series.

DarthFixxxer likes this.