main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Official "Obi-Wan Kenobi" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darkslayer, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think flashbacks and vision would be more perfect for the Kenobi series then any other projects.

Krueger, kalzeth and Bor Mullet like this.
  2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    No prequel hatred here, I was just making fun of Rick’s communication style. :p

kalzeth, TCF-1138 and Bor Mullet like this.
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    No, no, no. Hate or hate not. There is no middle ground.

4. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    You're no Yoda! You're...you're a...little random droid guy bugging Jar Jar in Watto's shop! Nyaah!

Bor Mullet likes this.
  5. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    The PT didn't have them either. I award your post 3 Pinocchios.

: / D : / D : / D

Bor Mullet likes this.
  6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    that the PT or the OT didn't have them it shoudn't matter. TCW first had it in season 3 and Rebels and now the ST.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Doesn’t make any difference to me! Though the PT did have a dream sequence, at least.

8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The entire series will be a flashback... from a certain point of view. :ben:

Bor Mullet likes this.
  9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    With him hacking his own student to pieces every episode and see him burn.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The entire franchise is a flashback. "A long time ago" implies it all takes place a long time ago.

11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    In that case, there are way too many flashbacks in Star Wars.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    IlhamKamaruddin and Krueger like this.
  12. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    This is the director Obi-Wan has been looking for. Deborah Chow, who directed episodes of the upcoming Star Wars TV series The Mandalorian, is returning to the far-away galaxy and will direct the series featuring the popular character Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Ewan McGregor is returning as the Jedi Master for the series Lucasfilm is making for Disney+, the stand-alone $7 streaming service that the company is launching Nov. 12. It is unclear if Chow will direct the entire series, which is said to be either six or eight episodes, or part of the series.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...-1243984?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Between this series finally getting announced and chugging along through the early development stages, and Feige attached to produce a film, it feels like the series is finally getting some consistent good news after a few years of: "Rogue One is being reshot! The directors of Solo have been fired! The whole movie is being reshot! The movie did so poorly the Boba Fett and Obi-Wan movies aren't happening anymore! The director of Episode IX has been fired!" and all the related drama surrounding TLJ and the furor in the fanbase.

EDIT: This has been confirmed by the official website from a statement from Kennedy. Based off the language here, it really sounds like Chow is going to be directing the whole series, which I love. Also included in here is the information that the entire series will seemingly be written by Hossein Amini. If he can bring the same sense of melancholy loneliness to this story that permeated his screenplay for Drive, then this might shape up to be the character study I wanted it to be.

https://www.starwars.com/news/deborah-chow-obi-wan-kenobi-series

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    She has directed episodes of Better Call Saul and The Mandalorian. She is the perfect choice.

16. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  17. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    It is nice to get news about production moving forward. I wasn't thrilled by the Feige hire but it's good that they seem to have gotten through the Solo post-mortem and are making moves again.

I'm not familiar with Chow's work but I like the idea of a single director taking on the whole series. Maybe that means she is like a showrunner as well.

VGCinema likes this.
  18. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Am I skeptical? Of course. This series/character/actor are something that mean a lot to many fans of the series. Which is why I trust that Disney didn't take the directing decision lightly. I'm not going to lie that I would be more reassured with a "safe" directing choice of someone associated with the series and theatrical experience, but Chow has already racked up experience under the Disney brand, and thus someone who can be trusted to efficiently do the required tasks.

I am a fan of the Marvel TV projects as well as Better Call Saul, and I believe the high production value and cinematic quality of these shows reflects well on what Star Wars fans would expect from a live action show. And yes, while it is reassuring that she's gotten experience with The Mandalorian, the fact that it's not released yet doesn't really mean much in terms of something to gauge quality.

Merric likes this.
  19. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    From this release it's much as one probably though it would go with McGregor himself key to the entire process (as there is no series without him). One writer and one director is slightly surprising since it's apparently 6? episodes. The Mandalorian's 8 episodes had multiple writers and directors but as this is presumably based on a script from Amini for the abandoned movie then extended out into a series.

When news like this comes out it makes me think that production is far sooner than later so a 2020 release is not out of the question. If they say shooting had begun late this year or early next then it's fairly likely.

Which is the whole crux of the situation. If they write him as Obi-Wan then it won't be a problem at all. If they decide they need him to (sigh) be someone else to get back to being Obi-Wan then that could be a problem.

DarthFixxxer and Glitterstimm like this.
  20. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I think Mandalorian is one writer (Favrue) but multiple directors.

21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The Mandalorian has been getting a lot of good press too. Lots of positive news in the air.

22. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Meh.
    While I did not think it would be possible (because since when do dreams become true?), I was hoping that Dave Filoni would be the one to tackle this. I am very skeptical about their decision. Apart from that, I would rather have a much more experienced director handle a show one of the most beloved Star Wars characters of all times. I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but for now I've got a bad feeling about this.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    kalzeth and Blackhole E Snoke like this.
  23. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

This might be naive to say but I think there is more positive Star Wars news in the air then the internet gives it credit for.

24. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    This is corporate marketing, not positive news.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    They're not mutually exclusive. There's not much to read between the lines- things are going well for Star Wars.

TCF-1138 and Krueger like this.