main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucas felt betrayed by Disney

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by KING_KENOBI, Sep 24, 2019.

1. KING_KENOBI

KING_KENOBI Jedi Master star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...ucas-felt-betrayed-by-star-wars-plans-1242953

Bob George Lucas Felt "Betrayed" By Disney's 'Star Wars' Plans. ... The extent of Lucas' disappointment in the direction of the Star Wars franchise under Disney's control was revealed via Disney CEO Bob Iger's memoir, The Ride of a Lifetime: Lessons Learned From 15 Years as CEO of the Walt Disney Company.

Apparently Lucas and Hamill are fairly close and have been bonding lately on their disappointment in where the franchise is going..

I gotta say..that makes me sad.
    Iger Reveals
    An it explains why the sequel trilogy have gained the moniker "facsimile star wars" for a growing mass of fans..
    IMO
    Disneys uber corporate ways were incompatible with Star Wars from the beginning..

LFL have always been in touch with their indie roots and in touch with the fan community.

Disney doesnt shy away from the fact they view said fans as means to an end:the all mighty dollar

and they are starting to understand this,but the worm have not turned as of yet,rumblings not withstanding..

Let us take a moment to appreciate the man who brought us all this joy.then think of how they kinda hustled his baby from him and left him out in the cold...

Shadao, Dagobah_Dude, G-FETT and 5 others like this.
  2. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    George Lucas needs to write his memoir. And when he does, I hope he dedicates a chapter to giving his true thoughts and feelings on everything that's happened over the last 4 years.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Lucas sold the series for billions of dollars. He gave up complete control to Disney. I personally don't think we should be coddling a billionaire because the people he made fat stacks off of didn't use his sticky notes.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This thread needs to be something other than a Disney-bashing thread if it’s going to stay open. @LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT likes this.
  5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Lucas is cool guy, but he must have thought they might not use his sequel trilgoy outline. And TFA is the only movie he really has a problem with, He likes Rouge one, TLJ and Solo. He's somewhat involved in the Mandalorian. He's involved in TROS about how the story goes around with Palpatine. He seesm to have gotten over it. I remember his lines of disney being white slavers, but i think he wast frustated and by Rouge one and TLJ he was on goood terms with tem again. He likes the sequel trilgoy just not TFA, cause it is more or less knida like ANH.

Wrenegade and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    What anakinfansince1983 said.

RayO1 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  7. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    If I sell something, it is not mine any more and if there is no contract clause that certain things need to be handled in a particular way, then there is no obligation to do anything that serves the sellers interest.
    That's life.

8. StarYogi

Nov 18, 2005
    I'm not defending George as though he's without any fault himself. Although it does look like Disney gave him the false impression they would stay close to his vision when they bought his story outlines for VII-IX. Still, he made a mistake and as Darth Smurf says "that's life". He should've known better.

RayO1 and Darth Smurf like this.
  9. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    He'll just have to comfort himself with that $4bn they paid him.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  10. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    It's too bad he seemed to go into the deal with only assumptions about what they were going to do. SW belongs to Disney so they can do whatever, but if Lucas has gripes, I think he at least has a right to express them. It's not all about money and business and who's technically obligated to do what. His ideas were trashed, and any artist/creator would be disappointed by that.

11. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Disappointed, I get. But let's not forget that he had all the opportunity in the world to make the sequel trilogy he wanted over the 30 years he owned the Star Wars license, and he decided not to make anything official with Disney in regards to using his ideas. Like I said, I don't really have any sympathy for Lucas at this point. He wasn't doing anything with the franchise. Now, someone else is. And he got a massive payday to boot.

12. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    ^I don't blame Lucas for not wanting to make more SW films, but yeah, he shouldn't have just assumed things. That was his fault. But it does sound like he trusted them to do certain things, and then they didn't, so... can't really fault him for not liking that. I don't think the reasoning that article offered in response to him saying "There's nothing new" to TFA reflects very well on Disney either.

RayO1 likes this.
  13. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Lucas is, above all else, a business man. He built a media empire on top of Star Wars, and founded several ridiculously influential companies in the process. Do you really think he'd just say "Hey, can I help make the new movies" and Disney was like "Lol sure"? If he really wanted to have a heavy hand in this, he has the savvy to know that he needed to get that in the contract. He didn't though. And now he's just the embodiment of that 'Old Man Yells at Cloud' meme, because he's been in retirement for a while and the only media relevance he has anymore is with Star Wars.

heels1785 likes this.
  14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    such an important point. you've made many of them in this thread.

Steve McGarrett and Outsourced like this.
  15. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Outsourced: lucas is rich and I don't feel bad for him

heels1785:
    [​IMG]

Wrenegade and heels1785 like this.
  16. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    I dunno how savvy Lucas is to do what, or what he wanted. I'm saying I don't blame him for not liking what they're doing, even if it's hist fault from a business standpoint. Just because he sold SW doesn't mean he can't regret it or not like what they're doing. That's all.

17. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I think that's a fair point. Honestly, my whole issue with this thread and others like it is the narrative being pushes that 'Ol Papa Lucas was somehow coerced or bullied into signing a deal with the devil by the traitor Kennedy and puppetmaster Iger, which I find absolutely ridiculous. I kinda used your posts a stepping stool to make some broader points about the deal and Lucas to generally push against that narrative. Apologies if I kinda got off track from your original points in the process.

Wrenegade and heels1785 like this.
  18. StarYogi

Nov 18, 2005
    I'm pretty sure I remember hearing he gave almost all of it away to different causes and charities. He was already a gazillionaire to begin with.

19. Steve McGarrett

Steve McGarrett Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 1, 2017
    George is free to have his say and be disappointed, but as others have said, he's been around the block more than enough times to know how the game is played, and if he wanted to ensure that he had more continuing input he needed to not ass (out of) u (and) me things.

20. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    George cannot manage public impressions of his likes or dislikes about the Sequel Trilogy. For the level of detail people want to analyze about his feelings, they might as well film him watching the Sequel Trilogy and capture his every grimace.

StarYogi and Emperor Ferus like this.
  21. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018

The guy chose to sell the company. He hand-picked Kathleen to run it.

Feel how you will, but nobody was "hustled".

Outsourced and heels1785 like this.
  22. AnakinTheChosenOne

AnakinTheChosenOne Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 25, 2019
    George can feel how he wants, unfortunately, it isn't his franchise anymore, Disney can do whatever they want.. Love ya George.

StarYogi likes this.
  23. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I got to agree with everyone here. You all made very good points that doesn’t resort to Disney bashing. Gl, love the man for what he has done. He is a true visionary of the likes we may not see for a long time, but once he put the ink on paper. All bets are off.

24. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    The words "Lucas felt betrayed" are funny to me.

So, he's cutting these billion-dollar deals and setting up million-dollar establishments. Suddenly there is a pause for reflection and he feels betrayed. It's a little bit like a political figure feeling betrayed after they have been impeached.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  25. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I pretty much agree with @Togruta. Yes, Lucas got paid ungodly amounts of money, but because of how the deal went down, we also got an ungodly plagiarized, paint by numbers version of Star Wars in 2015 as a result. It's a plagiarized, paint by numbers film that also just happens to be insanely fun to watch.

RayO1 and Fistful Of Fistos like this.