main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters ♡ The OTP & Pairing Thread ♡ | Challenge #33 is up: How They Met! (1/28, p. 90, #2231)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Captain Rakkaus, Oct 5, 2015.

1. JadeSphera

JadeSphera Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 10, 2018
  2. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Cast my vote.

Congratulations to all participants. =D= What great, creative stories these prompts inspired from everyone!

3. Captain Rakkaus

Captain Rakkaus Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2015
    Another week left to vote, good people! I've got five so far—think we can double that? :D

4. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Aaaaand three more days! Get 'em in, get 'em in, get 'em in! :D

5. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Sounds silly, but could someone remind me how to vote? Is it as simple as PMing the sock with your story choice? 8-}

devilinthedetails likes this.
  6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Yep! :)

brodiew likes this.
  7. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Yes, you got it, that's exactly what it is! :) (Sorry, answering quickly as myself from work.)

(And ninja'd by @devilinthedetails ! :D )

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    brodiew and devilinthedetails like this.
  8. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Good day, all. :)

The voting results for OTP Challenge #12 are in, and I'm pleased to announce that we have a two-way tie! The two winners are:

Hillside Exposé by @Carlos Danger
    and
    If It Takes Years by @Jâd Sphera

Congratulations to the two winners, and many thanks and well done to all who took part! [face_dancing]

Our 13th challenge is ready to go and will hopefully be posted soon once I check on a few things related to timing and scheduling.

Thank you all for continuing to make these challenges lots of fun! =D=

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    SQUEE SQUEE SQUEE! Congratulations to the 2 winners, with a delicious! L/M focus. :D [face_love]

10. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Congrats to both winners! [face_party]

Looking forward to challenge #13!

11. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Jedi Master star 2

Jul 25, 2013
    Thanks everybody. I am honored. And congratulations to @Jâd Sphera on writing such a great story!

12. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Fantastic work, @Carlos Danger and @Jâd Sphera!! Congratulations on your win!! [face_party][face_dancing] =D=

And a big round of applause to everyone else who participated, as well! That was a wonderful collection of stories all around. [face_love] :D =D=

13. JadeSphera

JadeSphera Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 10, 2018
    Wow! Thank you everyone! It is a real honour [face_love]
    It's been so great to participate in this challenge and to read all those wonderful stories ^:)^
    Congratulations @Carlos Danger ! [face_party][face_dancing] I loved your story and feel honoured of sharing this spot with you.
    Looking forward to the next challenge! :D

14. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
  15. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Congratulations!!![face_dancing]

16. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    So, I know it's been forever and a day, but I finally just started on a piece that encompasses my plot bunnies for both the previous two Misunderstandings Cleared Up and Landscape of Love challenges - for which my prompt was mountain. :D

It's over on the NSWFF side of things, set in the Thor fandom for Sif/Loki: "This Soft Season Will Come." Believe me when I say that this story was quite a long time coming for my muse. :p. [face_mischief] [face_love]

I can't wait to see what stories the next challenge will bring! Thanks, Captain, for this awesome source of inspiration, as always. [face_dancing] =D= [:D]

Kahara, Findswoman , Sith-I-5 and 2 others like this.
  17. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Thanks so much, @Mira_Jade! I've got it in the index, and I'm very glad to have it for the challenge—always worth the wait! :)

I do have the next challenge drafted and ready, and I'm planning to post it this weekend, probably Saturday if all goes well—so do keep watching this space! [face_dancing]

18. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    So, an emendation to the above, as plans have changed (and sorry I jumped the gun there). To avoid conflict with the MMM challenge that went up today, and with the winter gift-fic exchange that will be starting later this month, OTP Challenge #13 will instead be posted about two weeks from today, on or around the 27th. So for now, if your muse is itching for romance, please head on over to MMM!

In the meantime, would folks be up for a discussion? Or a very brief noncompetitive challenge or other kind of prompt? I'm open to suggestions! :)

Kahara and Mira_Jade like this.
  19. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    I'm always up for discussion with the lovely folks around here and/or a non-competitive challenge. :)

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I looked over the list of challenges and found 2 that would be great unless they're on the list of definite future challenges.
    * Love Songs Roulette
    * OTP Pre/Interlude :cool: more like a missing scene in an author's fic(s) or in established profiction [face_thinking]

An idea for a noncompetitive challenge might be:
    An exchange of 'letters' or messages (electronic or in real-time) between a couple. This could be followed by them getting together in person [face_dancing]

Example: One of them is off-world and communicates about when they're coming back home. the entry includes this exchange plus the homecoming.

A discussion I'd like to initiate is:

1. Who are your top 2-3 pairings and why?

2. What about them is easiest/hardest to write, as individual characters and also as a couple?
    3. Which SW pairing do you wish had gotten more 'air time'? E.g., would you like to see even more fanfictions about?
    Hey, that could be a future OTP challenge as well. Rare pairings [face_laugh]

Ewok Poet, Kahara, brodiew and 2 others like this.
  21. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, thanks so much for those great suggestions! :) Anything you see on that "drafts for future challenges" list in post 2 is indeed either already in the queue of challenges or is going to be (and that actually includes the love letters idea; let me go add that right now). The next two competitive challenges are in fact already decided on, but that list is definitely where I go for planning future ones.

Re: rare pairings, there was a discussion on that very topic in this thread a couple years ago. I can keep that one under consideration as a future challenge possibility, but it's kind of a tricky one, given that there's a lot of varied opinion as what counts as a "rare" or "minor" pairing.

And great discussion idea—thanks so much for that! I've got it in our index now. :) Have at it, everybody! :D

22. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Great discussion topics, @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, and thank you so much for coming up with them!:)

I really do love Han/Leia a lot when I'm looking for a couple that can have great chemistry and witty banter. Anakin/Padme works for me when I'm in the mood for something more tragic or if I want to explore a potentially less healthy aspect of romance (such as perhaps being possessive of someone or not being able to accept the idea of losing someone or being controlling). I also like the forbidden type Jedi romances like Obi-Wan/Siri, Qui-Gon/Tahl, and Ben/Vestara. Couples like Owen/Beru and Cliegg/Shmi also intrigue me especially if I want a piece perhaps more focused on every day life. Oh, wow, I'm well over the 2-3 couple limit, though.

With Han/Leia the hardest part for me is coming up with witty conversation. With Anakin/Padme, I think it tends to be that I have to deal with the tragic emotions their story stirs within me so it is a big emotional investment for me to write about them. With Obi-Wan/Siri, it's the obstacle of feeling that their story was told really well by Jude Watson so I am unworthy to follow in her shoes, and with Qui-Gon/Tahl it feels like they were in many ways blind to their love until close to the very end. With Ben/Vestara for some reason I just seem to lack inspiration and also maybe the confidence to write in that era. Cliegg and Owen are characters that I want to still keep gruff while not having them come across as characters nobody would want to read about especially in a romantic context so that can be a delicate balance to try to maintain.

I'd love for Ben/Vestara to get more air time but I do understand why it doesn't since I'm terrible at coming up with ideas myself, so I can't really complain about that without being the proverbial pot calling the kettle black;)

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Discussion time

1. Luke/Mara is my number one pairing. I love how discordant they are to say the least at the beginning yet there is an undeniable connection and affinity between them right from the beginning. Mara's history is incredibly interesting in and of itself. Luke is a darling and he deserves a lady to help him with the challenges and burdens of his role as well as to share the triumphs and joys.
    Han and Leia are dear to me because with "A New Hope" I was captivated by the snark [face_laugh] Leia is amazingly resilient and courageous and compassionate and Han is just a heart-of-gold scoundrel [face_laugh]

2. For L/M, I can write their dialogue very easily and their inner thoughts. For H/L, I adore writing them oblivious and as a couple, particularly find it fun to write them as parents ;)

3. Pairings in Legends I would love to see more of are Corran/Mirax; Wedge/Iella. :cool: How their personalities and backgrounds merge and mingle is interesting.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  24. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    3. Wedge doesn't seem to find love that much, so I was getting quite invested in the relationship he was having with that Qwi(?) Suncrusher scientist, before Kyp Durron put the kibosh on the whole deal.

I think it took his stance and heroism in the Yuuzhan Vong war to make that right with me.

25. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    And here comes devilinthedetails stoking a fire that was all but ashy embers...

Oh, but the days when I got my H/L and Siriwan on...

I tried A/P (to say I could) , but I have not heart deep connection to them like I did with Han and Leia. Given that @Jedi_Lover and @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha have been talking about Corran and Mirax more of late has also stirred some interest in trying that ship on for size, at least as it relates to L/M.

Let me help. [face_praying] [face_idea][face_whistling] That is part of what this community is about; helping each other. You lack ideas, I'm happy to throw a few scenarios your way to see if anything sticks. as for witty banter with Han and Leia, the core, for me, if finding something small for them to argue over and then have them let the argument fizzle into a moment of intimacy.

I thought I was out, but you are drawing me back in. BACK in the EU days, I toyed with some of these, but I ship Ben and Jysella Horn rather than Vistara, but I really enjoyed what they did with Luke and Ben/Vistara in profic.

I hope some of that makes sense. [:D]