main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Episode IX - Trailers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by TCF-1138 , Apr 12, 2019.

1. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    That trailer was very, very good at telling us pretty much nothing about the plot of the movie. We see some familiar places, some familiar people, and it just commanded me to buy tickets.

2. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    There are some truly epic shots in the trailer, but it kinda left me cold. I already have tickets for both Thursday night and Friday morning. I hope it's good.

3. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    Yep, there wasn't much there that hasn't already been suggested in "Last Jedi" or the D23 special look. Though, the trailer does suggest:

- that Kylo Ren may not be beyond redemption
    - and that Palpatine did indeed somehow survive the fall and has been planning a comeback.

- Not sure what Palpatine is referring to about "coming together", unless it may be referring to Kylo Ren's redemption with Rey ?

Tython Awakening likes this.
  4. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    Yeah we’ll see what happens. Thank God we have the Mandalorian to tied us over before the final film is released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  5. Iefan

Iefan Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2013
    God this gave me chills. I am a big EU fan and this trailer gives me a feeling of balance between the films and dabbling in some elements that you would probably see more written in the books.

6. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    That was amazing. The C-3P0 line left me in tears, not gonna lie!

7. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    My favorite part were Finn's lines at the beginning.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  8. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    This trailer has me excited. It has me concerned over the fate of the droids.

9. seattlemusicnerd

seattlemusicnerd Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2014
    I always switch to "No spoilers" after the final trailer.
    It's interesting how the only non-overdubbed line (i suppose Finn has a "wooo") of the whole trailer belongs to 3po. I'd like to think that that scene and the red eyes scene are connected, but I guess we'll have to wait to find out.
    I have this theory that, after the stunt Kylo pulled on Crait, which allowed the last of the rebels to get away, he's not actually Supreme Leader by the time of this movie. It'd be interesting to have him not be on any side.
    In the Snoke one shot, it shows Snoke teaching Kylo how to stop himself from falling off a cliff. I wouldn't be surprised if that is how the Emperor survived. As for how he got off the second Death Star before it exploded, that's a whole different story.
    I definitely get the feeling that Rey and Kylo are destroying the old suit of Vader. It reminds me of Horcruxes, but who knows if that's what's happening...

CowMoo and Tython Awakening like this.
  10. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
    After watching the trailer a million times, this was truly a different kind of trailer. I went in expecting it to be super epic and crazy, but in reality it was super emotional and touching. It really struck the heart, and left one with a ton of hope. This trailer was extremely effective at really honing in that this is the end of an incredible journey, with 3 amazing generations.

It was also extremely effective without showing these characters: (Not spoilers, but you never know how sensitive someone is)
    No Knights of Ren, basically no Sheev, and no Sith Troopers.

11. TheYodaPagoda

Apr 23, 2002
    It really sealed the deal as far as me watching this movie. Oh, who am I kidding, I was already going to see it! :p After all, I got tickets for the first three nights! I really enjoyed The Last Jedi, but I think the second viewing cemented that opinion in my mind. I'll also respond to the spoiler quote in kind:
    I wanted to see the Knights of Ren, but they weren't necessary in this trailer upon viewing.
    I didn't want to see Darth Sidious, but, I mean, we sorta did, didn't we? The laugh at the end of the first trailer was all we needed.
    I'm of the mind that Sith Trooper = Action Figure Sales. They do look cool though! Red Stormtroopers!

12. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
    I agree!
    The more I think about it, the more happy I am about how little was revealed in the trailer. Sure we saw Sidious for 1 second, but it was just a weird shot from behind. I had a feeling before the trailer we were going to get a money shot of him, so I was relieved that they are saving that for the actual film.

Now for the next two months, we get to avoid the onslaught of TV spots! I remember before TLJ, I accidentally saw one from the Star Wars twitter account with Rey holding Kylo's saber. I was REALLY ticked off that I saw that before the movie.

13. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    Feel the same way. The cinematography was great, but really does not tell much.

I feel like I should be more excited for this, but still have bad taste in my mouth from TLJ.

14. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
    The best trailers tell nothing! Leave the story for the movie going experience!!

15. TheYodaPagoda

Apr 23, 2002
    Yeah I've done a pretty good job of avoiding the TV spots the past few movies, but I think we have a new enemy...YouTube ads! I watched a video and before it started, the trailer started playing right off the bat! I'll just have to be careful and click "Skip Ad" quickly in the weeks to come.

TCF-1138 and Darth Buzz like this.
  16. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Yeah, I'm happy to watch the trailers but when they start showing new footage in the TV spots (rather than just re-cutting what we've already seen) is when I stop watching. They always show that bit too much just before release and spoil some cool surprises, like Rey with Kylo's saber in TLJ.

Thoughts on this trailer;

Probably my favourite trailer of the ST era. Never thought 3PO would be the one to rip my heart out at 3am but in hindsight he was the perfect character to do it, and when the main theme kicked in with the whole "The Sage Will End. The Story Lives Forever", it totally got me.

They've done so well to keep the story hidden. Even trying to work out a rough order of events from the trailer my mind goes "but what about that shot in the teaser/D23 special? How does that fit in?" and I'm thrown again.

My one gut feeling after that trailer is that Luke's line "Confronting fear is the destiny of a Jedi. It's your destiny." might actually be to Kylo/Ben rather than Rey.

Very excited to see how this all plays out.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah this one promises epic scale but emotionally it's trying to pull at your heartstrings, which I think works really well.

18. obi1jedinite

obi1jedinite Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2002
    Loved the trailer and loved that it left things very vague. Counting down the days...

19. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    So, I confess that I'm writing this just to write something that isn't angst-filled; it's been a looooong hiatus for me from this site since everything went off the rails with TLJ. So I may be deleting this quickly. :) But in the meantime...being that Rebels and Clone Wars stuff is sneaking into the new movies, any chance that "Dark Rey" is actually Ventress? (I know, I know...go easy on me...the notion of it just seems so cool, and I needed the release).

20. seattlemusicnerd

Dec 23, 2014
    I personally think that the person approaching Rey in the chair is "dark Rey". We're only meant to believe it's Palpatine.

21. Kole

Kole Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2016
    Interesting, I’ve been thinking “dark Rey” is a vision. What role do you think dark Rey will play?

22. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
    I agree in thinking “Dark Rey” is likely either a vision or dream. My main reasoning is because I highly doubt there will be two “Rey’s” in one film. That would be pretty strange, no? Like would anyone want to see Rey fighting Rey? Haha

23. Kole

Kole Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2016
    FIFY

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2019
  24. seattlemusicnerd

Dec 23, 2014
    A clone that embraced the dark side, or it’s part of the same vision that features in D23 trailer

25. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Fixed those quotes for you. :p

Kole and TheYodaPagoda like this.