main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars One Sentence Challenge Stories

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by devilinthedetails , Nov 2, 2019.

1. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Hello, everyone. This is the place to post your Non Star Wars stories for the One Sentence Challenge. Please feel free to post in the standard title, author, summary, and character(s) format for your one sentence stories, please be generous with your reviews to all who submit sentence stories, and please only submit one post with one sentence stories per day. Thank you, good luck with your writing, and enjoy reading the work of others!:)

An Index of Entries by Author:

From @brodiew: The Rookie, Star Trek: 2009, Stranger Things, NCIS: LA, Doctor Who, Lord of the Rings, Castle (two entries), Lost-Post #2; Lazy Afternoon (Stranger Things), Verbal Blunder (Stranger Things), Grasping at Straws (Stranger Things), Tickled Pink (Stranger Things), Tried and True (Stranger Things)-Post #21; Stranger Things, Stranger Things, Lord of the Rings, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek: 2009, Star Trek: 2009-Post #29; The Rookie, Flurry of messages (Stranger Things), No regrets (Stranger Things), Shadow of your smile (Stranger Things), Out on a limb (Stranger Things), Bridging the Gap (Stranger Things), Lord of the Rings-Post #42; Stranger Things AU (Five Sentences)-Post #46; Winter Wonderland, Beautiful, Accept, Her, Max-Post #58

From @divapilot: Save Your Breath (Hadestown)-Post #3; Alone but not alone (Stranger Things), Etude (Hamilton)-Post #41

From @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: Len's Considered Opinion, Capturing His Attention Immediately-Post #4; Origami Shapes, Finding Love with a Colleague, Shore Leave-Post #13; A Perpetual Noon (LOTR), The Peace of Rivendell-Post #27; Just the Thing-Post #32; Grasping at Straws (Star Trek)-Post # 45

From @pronker: Penguin Persistence-Post #5; Shotgun Wedding, Pengotter Pending-Post #14; Day One (Penguins of Madagascar), Day Fifty-Three (Penguins of Madagascar), Day Four-Hundred-Twelve (Penguins of Madagascar), Day Seven-Hundred-Forty-Four (Penguins of Madagascar), Day Eight-Hundred-Ninety-Six (Penguins of Madagascar), Day Eight-Hundred-Ninety-Nine (Penguins of Madagascar), Day Two-Thousand-One-Hundred-And-Ninety(Penguins of Madagascar)-Post #23; Undertow (Hades/Persephone)-Post #33; The Night They Invented Champagne-Post #54; You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means-Post#70

From @Briannakin: Backup (West Wing AU), Pallbearer(West Wing AU)-Post #10

From @Sith-I-5: What Happened to the Starliner?-Post#11

From @Mira_Jade: Intialism (Hamilton), Concession (Hamilton), Sobriquet (Hamilton)-Post #18; Conquest (pre-LOTR), Spoils (pre-LOTR), Victor (pre-LOTR)-Post #24; Heritage, Repeat, Shelter, Bulwark, Satisfaction, Penance, Farewells, Greetings, Welcome, Homecoming, Insistence, Atonement, Memory, Hope, Eternity-Post #34; Effervesence, Intoxication, Handy, Nail, Soldiers, Shield, General, Truce-Post #36; Portent (Doctor Who), Beholder (Doctor Who), Inspiration (Doctor Who), Mooring (Doctor Who), Inebriation (Doctor Who), Infinite (Doctor Who), Doctorate (Doctor Who), Ephemeral (Doctor Who), Headfirst (Doctor Who), Tenure (Doctor Who)-Post #47; Interpret, Promise, Jolt, Equation, Consonance, Repeat, Inevitable, Speed, Calculate, Messenger, Balm, Fissure, Malady, Blessing, Intrepid-Post #52; Wellspring, Deviation, Decrescent, Severance, Echo, Recompense, Asunder, Cost, Precious, Worth, Equal, Reparations, Divide, Spirit, Withhold, Denounce, Sportsmanship, Valor, Burden, Rival, Level, Equipoise, Comprise, Maneuver, Epitome-Post #67

From @Jedi_Lover: Meddlesome Parent (Lucifer TV), Confusion (Lucifer TV), Different Sides of the Same Thing (Lucifer TV), The Nerve (Lucifer TV)-Post #31

From @amidalachick : Married with Children, Archer, Stranger Things-Post #49; Three Sentences (Stranger Things)-Post #60; King of the Hill, Archer, Stranger Things-Post #66

Important Indexing Note: If you would like to add or change a title for your one sentence story please contact me in this thread or in a PM, and I will update the index accordingly as soon as I can. Likewise, I have included the specific fandoms when available, but if you'd like to add your fandom for any story you wrote, again just let me know in this thread or via a PM, and I'll update the index to reflect that as soon as possible.

Top Ten Finishers:

1) And that's why...by @amidalachick
    2) Pallbearer by @Briannakin and Etude by @divapilot
    3) Save Your Breath by @divapilot
    4) Welcome by @Mira_Jade, Shield by @Mira_Jade, and Concession by @Mira_Jade
    5) Homecoming by @Mira_Jade, Worth by @Mira_Jade, Victor by @Mira_Jade, and Ahoy Ladies, Steve...by @amidalachick
    6) Epitome by @Mira_Jade
    7) Shotgun Wedding, Pengotter Pending by @pronker, Memory by @Mira_Jade, Perpetual Moon by @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, and Seeing Kirk in...by @brodiew
    8) Equation by @Mira_Jade, Tenure by @Mira_Jade, It was a hard thing...by @brodiew and Bridging the gap...by @brodiew
    9) Nyota Uhura gazed...by @brodiew and Undertow by @pronker
    10) Blessing by @Mira_Jade and Married with three children...by @amidalachick

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    pronker likes this.
  2. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    So excited to see this up tonight! On with the show...

The Rookie

The way Henry was still chewing his cheek after Abigail accepted his apology, about the background check, let John know that it was not going to be as easy regaining his son's trust.

Star Trek: 2009

When it came to Bones, Jim Kirk knew that it was a fine line between trying his patience and accessing his wisdom.

Stranger Things

When El stood on the south shore of Lake Michigan, the largest body of water she had ever seen, one for which she could not see the other side, she felt like the lights had been turned on in the void.

NCIS: LA

Sam huffed in satisfied humor when Callan confessed he was going on a second date with a the UCLA professor of history they interviewed on a recent case.

Doctor Who

The Doctor had many regrets over the course of his expansive life; the people he was not able to save, the friends he had to let go, even the way he would push his TARDIS to irresponsible extremes, but none held on as long as watching Rose Tyler disappear in a flash of light.

Lord of the Rings

Simply because his father more fervently loved Boromir over himself , and that his brother had failed miserably at his task, did not mean that Feromir did not earnestly mourn his brother's death.

Castle

Kate Beckett was the kind of woman who needed to know.

For Kate Beckett, uncertainty could go in two directions; winding the spool tighter or setting it to unravel.

LOST

Jack Shepard died with his eyes open and with the first sense of true freedom he could ever remember.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  3. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Hadestown

“Save Your Breath”

The train whistle sounded like a mournful ghost, and Persephone drew in a deep breath: it was time to return, go down to Hadestown, and say goodbye to color and sunshine for six long months, say goodbye to fresh flowers and warm breezes, say goodbye to the precious luxury of lungs expanding with life-affirming air.

Mira_Jade , brodiew, pronker and 2 others like this.
  4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    "Len's Considered Opinion"
    "Yeah, well, you can claim you're not interested in anyone, Nyota, but you definitely have the dewy-eyed look of a lady in love; you can't deny it," McCoy teased over lunch as Nyota blushed… still her contented silence and the glow in her eyes was all the confirmation he required that he had reached the correct conclusion.

"Capturing His Attention Immediately"
    Jim noticed Audrey Pearce as soon as she entered the Enterprise bridge with her waves of auburn hair, tawny eyes, and vibrant smile—after a professional, courteous exchange he kept finding himself looking her way… will she give me the time of day he wondered briefly, but something told him he could not afford to let this chance slip away.

5. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Penguin Persistence

"It's going to be as difficult to thwart Wet Blanket Willy's scheme to subvert the annual Coney Island Mermaid Parade and kaboom! his top secret base in the Catskills," warned Skipper as his troops snapped to attention before him, "as it is for pronker to write a SSR story that is TOS compliant on TFN, but that's not going to stop us from trying, boys!"

6. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    @brodiew What a range of fandoms here and yeah, Boromir's brother was the one everybody should have.@};-

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Apt diagnosis, Len!!

@divapilot EEEEEE, Hades and Persephone are my OTP of mythdom!! Nice nice nice!

7. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @brodiew So nice to see a story centered around Faramir. You really brought his range of emotions to painful light in one sentence. Beautiful job.

8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    @brodiew- Great stories! I love seeing so many fandoms!The Doctor one really hit hard. :_| Also, the Lost one was quite powerful!

@divapilot - Is this Hadestown the musical or is it based off something else I don't know.... I mean, other than mythology. I really want to see the musical. And wow! What a sentence! I could really feel how much dread taking that last breathe before going down.

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha - Great stories! I really enjoyed "Capturing His Attention..." I could see Jim in my mind, not willing to let the chance pass him by.

@pronker -[face_laugh][face_laugh] I loved the break of the 4th wall! Don't worry, I have that problem too. ;)

brodiew, Mira_Jade , pronker and 2 others like this.
  9. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    So much greatness! Like over in SW, I tried to comment on at least one fic per author.

Oh... my heart... I think it's broken
    Oh, man, I've never heard of this musical before, but I LOVE the myth of Persephone. I think you got me hooked with just one sentence and I definitely have something new I gotta check out.
    I love McCoy laying down the obvious here.
    Bahahahaha! The Meta-ness! I love it!

brodiew, Mira_Jade , pronker and 2 others like this.
  10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I was inspired, so I decided to try my hand at this. Both are in the West Wing ‘verse using OCs. The second is an AU… maybe.

Backup
    Even through the fever haze, Marc reached down to feel Miri’s temperature; she let out a quiet, “Abba?” as the bedroom door opened and Marc knew he now was relieved from parental duties.

Pallbearer
    Logically Leo Lyman knew that the casket - overlaid with the American Flag - held his oldest friend’s body, but he was still expecting Elvie to come up behind him, wrap his arm around Leo’s shoulders, and crack some wildly inappropriate joke.

11. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    What happened to the starliner?

Warp Smash.

devilinthedetails and pronker like this.
  12. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    It's heartfelt and very affecting, even not knowing the canon,@};-

devilinthedetails likes this.
  13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    "Origami Shapes"
    Sulu held a course in origami-making, which surprisingly many crewmembers enthusiastically joined; when Nyota made a dolphin and Yolette a butterfly, each lady was happy indeed.

"Finding Love with a Colleague"
    Nurse Christine Chapel eventually found love in the most unlikely place, with Len McCoy; she had never expected that—thinking it might have been with some other, but as they worked together after their Enterprise tour completed, admiration and respect became something more, to the surprise of both.

"Shore Leave"
    Everyone indulged themselves differently on shore leave; the Captain didn't quibble as long as they arrived back on board on time to ship out; he and Audrey liked to take in the live theater, personally, if the current play was highly lauded by the audience.

14. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Shotgun Wedding, Pengotter Pending

A whirlwind otter-penguin engagement swept the whole zoo into planning its natural consequence and as Marlene --- who wore nothing resembling clothes, ever --- allowed Pinkie, Penny, and Momma Duck to affix bridal flowers to the crown of her head, she caught sight of her groom as his attendants preened him to perfection; they winked at each other, extravagantly pleased that their wedding's theme, herring, proved simple, sustainable, and the one common interest that they as a couple shared.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  16. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    [face_love] Awwww, I could so see this happening!!

17. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    THESE HAVE BEEN BEYOND AMAZING!!!

So, first and foremost, to commend some truly great pieces before I muster up a few of my own:

THERE IS SO MUCH TRUTH HERE. [face_laugh] [face_love]

Aw! I always adore glimpses of El seeing and experiencing more of the wide world around her, and this moment was a beautiful one for you to capture! [face_love]

Gah, be still my heart!!! - the Doctor and Rose is still and forever one of my ultimate OTPs, and this little sentence just hit me in the gut in the best of ways. =((

Eugh - Denethor is a piece of work who didn't deserve either of his sons. [face_phbbbbt] :mad: But what I adore is how Faramir and Boromir didn't let their father's clear favoritism come between them. You perfectly captured the love and devotion between them in just a few words. Beautifully done! =D=

Oh! This gave me goosebumps - like so many others have mentioned, Hades/Persephone is a myth that fascinates me in all it's forms and it's been a lot on my mind lately. (I need to check out Hadestown now, for which I thank you - I just finished binging the webtoon Lore Olympus, since it's fall-time and the ambiance had me in a mood, so this hit all of my buttons, not to digress from your lovely work :p) I particularly appreciate the melancholy of this sentence, the sadness. You were able to capture so much of a mood and create such a striking atmosphere in just a few words that I marveled. Very, very well done! =D= [face_love]

[face_love]!

I think this ties in with brodie's sentence I quoted above just perfectly! Leo has a wisdom all his own, and he's smart about people in a way that really balances his crewmates. Nyota may try to hide it, but he knows better! And what I especially love here is that he already knows her name and is comfortable enough to make such claims during their Academy days - even while Kirk is still being, well you know, Kirk. :p

Jim has excellent taste, no doubt about it! [face_love]

As always, it's so good to see Audrey kept alive and vibrant in your writing. I just adore this pairing to pieces, as you know I do. [:D]

I loved this bit of characterization, both for Sulu and the ladies! Just a beautiful slice of life from aboard the Enterprise. [face_love]

[:D]

I was not expecting where this one was going, and when it got there I almost spit out my coffee. If there's any fandom perfectly poised for breaking the fourth wall, it's this one! [face_rofl] :p As always, I just love the voice and verve you give these characters. =D=

A herring themed wedding! [face_love] I just loved everything about this snippet - from the flowers Marlene is grudgingly wearing to the just slightly pressing need for a marriage. :p I'd expect nothing less from these two. Wonderful! :*

Gah - this better be an AU, Bri, is all I have to say. Who gave you the right to let out the ninjas chopping onions this early in the thread? =(( :_|

But, my broken heart aside, I really loved how you were able to capture such a large emotion as Leo's grief in such a few short words and then wrap it up with such a perfectly in character remark as the wildly inappropriate joke. It lightened the angst all the while making it even more painful, if that makes any sense? Bravo! =D=

[face_laugh] If brevity is the soul of wit, then you most certainly nailed this one! Nicely done. [face_rofl] =D=

Well done with all of these, everyone! I can't wait to see what else you come up with! =D= [:D]

18. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Erm, my sincere apologies for double posting, but I wanted to add a few sentences of my own to the lovely offerings above. So, here we are to start . . . :D

“Know Them by Name”
    (Hamilton; Act II | Hamilton & Jefferson & the Washingtons)​

Initialism

“You heard me, sir: POTUS; it’s easy to say, quick to the point, and just all around infinitely better than His Elective Majesty, the president of the United States of America and Protector of their Liberties – thanks but no thanks, Adams, but there’s a reason no one takes you seriously anyways.”

Concession

“Or worse, sir: we could call you His Mightiness the president of the United States – even you have to agree with me on this, Jefferson, I'll resign before you ever make me say that aloud,” to which his fellow secretary could only roll his eyes and agree “POTUS” in a begrudging mumble underneath his breath.

Sobriquet

“Morning, FLOTUS,” was Alexander’s quick greeting as he flew through the dining room – bending over to kiss her cheek and steal a sweetcake from the breakfast spread before darting off again – and Martha met her husband’s gaze in bemusement, only letting the odd form of address go when George wearily shook his head and bid her not to ask.

John Adams, honest to goodness, suggested both His Mightiness and His Elected Majesty the president of the United States and Protector of their Liberties as titles for the president, I kid you not. Thankfully, his suggestions were turned down when Washington insisted on the simple Mr. President we now better know today.

The term POTUS did not come into play until 1879 when the Philips Code developed shorthand for the burgeoning telegraph system growing between press writers. I imagine that the name took even longer to catch on in the circles of government, but now here we are today with the terms FLOTUS (which started as Nancy Regan's code name with the Secret Service), SCOTUS, and VPOTUS also in use. Still, the acronym seems like something Hamilton - who was always talking a hundred words a minute and thinking even faster than that - would love to slim Washington's clunky title down to. Especially in keeping with the tone and style of Hamilton giving history a modern make-over, and I couldn't resist fudging the details just a little bit. So . . . here we are. :p [face_mischief] ;)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] @Mira_Jade I can just imagine it felt all kinds of good to write Hamilton again. ;)

divapilot, brodiew, pronker and 2 others like this.
  20. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    @divapilot: save your breath - this a beautifully mournful sentence. Bravo to you. I read C.S. Lewis' tragic 'Til We Have Faces', which I belive addresses this myth. That said, I loved the descriptions you chose to let us know what she is losing when she returns to the underworld.

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: two wonderful sentences; one with a bit of denial and one with a bit of confession. Nice Work. Bones is very observant and Kirk is on the verge of obvious. :) - Finding Love - Makes sense to me.

@pronker: Penguin Persistence - Skipper will see them through as will pronker breakthrough the 4th wall of her paralysis. :p

@Briannakin - Pallbearer - it is comforting to see Leo conjuring the dead even has he carries the casket for burial.

@Sith-I-5 - Not sure what happened, but I love the words starliner, warp, and smash. :)

@Mira_Jade: Concession - *reads historical notes first* Apparently Jefferson was one for the magnificence of title, but could see the logic in Hamilton's threat. :p Thomas Jefferson rolling his eyes. Brilliant.

21. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I am in Good company, with @Mira_Jade, on a double post. However, thanks are due to @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha for the wonderful prompts from her thread in NSWFF.

Stranger Things
    Lazy Afternoon

El and Mike lay on opposite ends of the couch rubbing each other's feet when The Warrior, by Patty Smyth, came on the radio almost causing El to jump up and sing along as she and Max had often done.

Stranger Things
    Verbal Blunder

"She looks nothing like Kelly LeBrock and I'll thank you very much not to mention 'weird science' or mammaries in her presence ever again!"

Stranger Things
    Grasping at Straws

Dustin Henderson had two plans: intercept Steve Harrington and convince him to help find Dart and take the flowers that were intended for Nancy and give them to Max.

Stranger Things
    Tickled Pink

When the foot rubbing turned into a ticklfest, Mike and El ended up a tangled mess of limbs blushing as the physical friction, and a moment of eye contact, set them to kissing again.

Stranger Things
    Tried and True

When it came to questions of the physical, or metaphysical, worlds, and the secret danger could not be overtly discussed, there was no better person to ask than Mr. Clarke.

Mira_Jade and divapilot like this.
  22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Delightful @brodiew -- El and Mike are particularly sweet. ;)

Mira_Jade and brodiew like this.
  23. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Title: Remember, Remember, The Fifth Of November

Author: pronker

Summary: They couldn't escape and after a while, it didn't matter so much.

Characters: Manfredi and Johnson, canon team members thought dead but shown in the last episode of Penguins of Madagascar to be trapped in Seaville, an aquatic theme park with state of the art security.

Day One

"Mustangs," they called each other, galloping up through the ranks to warrant officer only to have The Incident bust them back down to NCO three months before capture by Seaville; it was insult added to injury if you thought about it, which they did.

Day Fifty-Three

Once he accepted the reality of their incarceration, Johnson quickly realized the importance of routine, and he cajoled Manfredi into the schedule of wake, eat, talk, silence, entertain the humans, play, talk, exercise, play, sleep; it brought order from chaos and a structure for them to fall apart in as they waded through dreary communal living days.

Day Four Hundred Twelve

"'Cause they're mean, man, what more reason do you need?" snarked Johnson to Manfredi as Manfredi posed the familiar question once too often; Manfredi, who knew in his heart that Skipper and the guys didn't rescue them because they didn't know they still lived.

Day Seven Hundred Thirty-Three

Darkness merengued behind his eyelids when Johnson paused his mindless midnight circuit of their pen, stubbornly trying to feel a crack in the concrete promising escape or a hole in the fence that occurred since last night's perimeter check --- he opened his eyes once he started to pace again, struggling to ignore the sounds of Manfredi’s hitched breaths and strangled whimpers to give him some privacy.

Day Seven Hundred Thirty-Four

“I’ll deal with it, Johnson,” Manfredi answered coldly in their talk time and Johnson answered, "Fine," because Manfredi was a pal, and you didn't ask some questions of a pal even if you had known him for a longer time in your life than you hadn't known him.

Day Eight Hundred Ninety-Six

“Knock me out, Johnson, whatever you do, just do it, please, bro, I can't get out of here, I can't breathe,” Manfredi whispered, grabbing Johnson and tightening to the point of pain and then Johnson chopped at the join of neck and head just so until Manfredi sagged into his supportive flippers; he wouldn’t do this for Manfredi again and there was no one to do it for him.

Day Eight Hundred Ninety-Nine

Still telling his best travel story on a lazy afternoon after entertaining the humans, Johnson murmured to Manfredi how soft the down next to his skin felt, how smooth and clean as he lay behind him, one flipper settled on his waist, the other gently massaging his belly; when he told Manfredi to imagine a step onto the balcony of their Atlantean suite, Manfredi felt not concrete but warm tile beneath his feet, saw bioluminescent fish circling just beyond the air lock, and wondered at sim-stars embedded in the dome.

Day Two Thousand One Hundred Ninety

Manfredi and Johnson were laughing into the Panasonic F100 camera because it was the fifth of November, the sixth anniversary of their capture that Seaville admin types thought needed fireworks along with Channel One coverage; when Skipper and the guys saw the footage and staged a rescue that night, the two mustangs declined to rejoin the Central Park Zoo herd but accepted the reinstatement of their ranks.

IOIOIOIOIO

A/N Attempting a SSR story in compliance *bites nails*

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  24. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha - It felt so, so good to be writing for Hamilton again. I just love these ridiculous characters, the history, and everything this fandom is to pieces, you have to know! [face_laugh] [face_love]

@brodiew - Oh, there's nothing Hamilton and Jefferson love more than to disagree, you're too right, but in this one thing they have no choice but to be of the same mind. You'll not catch either of them dead calling Washington His Mightiness. :p o_O

Then, I have to say how much I am loving what a roll you are on with your sentences! This challenge really is tailor made for you, in the best of ways, and I'm just enjoying reaping the benefits as a reader. :D For your last set, I think my favourite was Verbal Blunder - you've really got the voices from the cast down to a T - though I know I have to sound redundant for saying that - so much so that this is a complete story all by itself without any exposition that had me snickering outright. [face_laugh] Lazy Afternoon and Tickled Pink really made me smile, too. Such a sweet glimpse of young love! I just adore it when El and Mike have these chances to just be happy silly teenagers, without having to worry about government conspiracies and monsters and other such life and death nonsense. [face_worried] And, of course, Mr. Clark is just an ultimate guide and mentor in so many ways; I appreciated seeing him honored in Tried and True! Keep up the mighty fine work, my friend! [face_love] =D=

@pronker - What an interesting set, and a great way to honor Guy Fawkes Day with your own singular talent for penguin shenanigans! And, in this case, you certainly shared some heavy hitting snippets - this was an intense set, very well done. Although, I have to say I liked the final sentence best for them looking back on their incarceration from the happy perspective of hindsight. :)

And now, for today's sketches, I'm going back to a fandom very near and dear to my heart with . . . [face_love]

“In Answer to the Shadow”
    (Tolkien; pre-LoTR | Galadriel/Celeborn & Celebrían)​

Conquest

Once, as Artanis, she’d made the perilous journey to Endórë intent on seeking her own justice away from the Valar (and even more so for the chance to explore, to achieve for herself, to be more than she was permitted to be in deathless Aman), but it was not until she held their newborn daughter for the first that Galadriel grasped the true meaning of belonging, such as she had not realized had eluded her for millennia.

Spoils

After so many centuries spent raising the children of others – though he’d loved Nimloth and Elwing and the Peredhel twins as if they were truly his own rather than born of his brother’s blood – Celeborn knew no greater joy than when Galadriel passed their swaddled daughter to his arms, knowing that this memory, more so than any other, would be his answer to the Shadow for an eternity to come.

Victor

“I named you Wise once,” Galadriel’s teasing was so soft that it was hardly even that – instead, she merely acknowledged aloud what he had known for some time as she tucked Celebrían in close between them, “and it seems you are again, husband – for this is more than the glory I first sought upon these shores . . . so much more, indeed.”

Hopefully these sentences had context clues enough to stand alone, but, if not, for those of you who may only be familiar with The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings rather than Tolkien's vast Histories of Middle Earth like the nerd I am, here I am with notes! ;) :-B To put it lightly, Celeborn and Galadriel forged their bond from quite the rocky beginning, and they've come a long way together! In just a few words: they are both proud scions of two vastly different branches of Elves. Celeborn is one of the oldest princes of the Sindar, who never left Middle-Earth before the advent of the sun and moon, and Galadriel is a princess of the Noldor/Teleri/Vanyar, the High Elves who returned to Middle-Earth against the wishes of the Valar (the powers that be) after the dawning of the sun. She made the journey for lands, power, and to find justice for her family against the dark Vala Melkor (Sauron's master) who had fled Aman (Valinor; The West) for Middle-Earth to escape his siblings' wrath. Even though they were married early in the First Age, they didn't have Celebrían (Arwen's mother) until the dawn of the Second Age, which is a very long time to wait to start a family, even for the Elves. While part of this decision was logical because of how involved they were in the war against Melkor - and for enduring the tragedies that constantly befell their peoples and raising wards like Nimloth, Elwing, and then Elrond and Elros for a time - a part of this was also because of Galadriel's want for personal power. (There's a reason the One Ring tested her as it did. [face_plain]) Elven parents literally give up part of their own fëar (soul(s)) to create a new fëa for their children - it's why these immortal couples have relatively small families to match their years. Galadriel was understandably wary of sharing her might with another after everything she'd lived through, and for everything she knew she'd have to fight for again - especially as one of the three Elven Ring-bearers. From the context clues, we can glean that Celeborn was perhaps more domestically inclined than his wife, and just wanted a family and what peace and joy they could claim, even with the Shadow threatening to return. Eventually, I can only imagine that Galadriel was glad she agreed to try and see things more his way. In typical Tolkien meta: through the deep bonds of love, in all its forms, comes true power and the strength to fight against the Dark. [face_love] What can I say? For being the ultimate power couple, Galadriel and Celeborn really are a beautifully matched pair for how well they balance and complete each other without diminishing their partner in the slightest. [face_mischief] [face_love]

~MJ @};-

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    @Mira_Jade -- SQUEE for the lyrical title of this set and for the marvelously in-characterness of Galadriel. [face_love] =D=

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019