main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How Has the ST Affected Your Interest in Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Knight of Jedi Ren Sith, Jul 27, 2019.

?

How Has the ST Affected Your Interest in Star Wars?

1. The ST has strengthened my interest in the SW franchise. I'm excited about future films/shows.

23.3%
  2. The ST has weakened my interest in the SW franchise. I'm not excited about future films/shows.

55.9%
  3. The ST has had no affect on my interest in the SW franchise. I feel how I've always felt (explain).

20.8%
  1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Do you mean the PT and OT? And that the ST doesn't add anything?

2. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Yeah, sorry. Just saw I put PT instead of ST.

3. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Then I completely agree with you.

4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I know one thing the ST has effected and that is valuing the opinions of the fandom in general.

If I come out loving TROS and everyone hating it...I will not care in the slightest.

I’ll have fun talking about it with my friends who may or may not like it as a close personal circle thing and of course respect opinions honestly but that probably won’t effect my enjoyment of a thing.

When people get all bent out of shape and anxious about these films I think that is a sign of a need of self-reflection.

For me, this movie will either be good or bad and i won’t like it or I will like it....and well, that’s that. Gotta move on and ....Find other things in life, and also deal with a lot of real life issues.

5. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    I learned since the prequel Trilogy that some people will simply never be happy about anything with Star Wars if it isn't the OT...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Deliveranze and Vicarious Fan like this.
  6. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    The sequel trilogy's overall quality has not weakened nor highly strengthened the saga for me. I love the Last Jedi but TFA while passable and fun really stagnated momentum from the start. The overall ambition of TLJ tells me RJ should've began the trilogy because I have no doubt it would've maintained the bold nature that would've been exciting to kick off the trilogy but it wouldn't have been so deep in it for him to do some of the drastic choices that have divided some of the fans. For example I highly doubt Luke dies (since it would've been Han) nor is as cynical if RJ did the first film. If JJ followed from there I think we may have gotten an excellent trilogy.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  7. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    That's great. That's how it should be. You shouldn't let anyone sway you from liking something if that's how you feel about it.
    Well, now you're talking about other fans, which is not so great. You have a right to your feelings, opinions, and point of view. And they have a right to theirs. And we're all just here talking about those things. That's also how it should be.
    It's actually far more nuanced than that. People like or dislike different things for different reasons. For myself, I love the OT, I like the PT, and I dislike the ST. The problems I have with the PT are the opposite of the problems that I have with the ST. And there are things about the PT and the ST that I think are some of the best things in Star Wars, while there are other things that affect my feelings about them overall. The OT has it's issues, as well, but it's problems don't affect the overall feeling I have about the trilogy as a whole. All of these things are nuanced and in the details. Many of the people here have no problem going into the details of what they like and dislike about the various Stat Wars films, you just have to be open to discussing them, and not get too worked up over opposing views. Different strokes for different folks, and all that.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  8. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    It hasn't strengthened or weakened my interest. Simply put, the ST isn't bad enough for me to lose any interest in SW but equally isn't good enough for me to go even more crazy for SW.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The ST has made me nostalgic and more appreciative of the the PT, and Denning-verse era of the EU. So that's a win in my book.

10. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Here, here.

I mean, I’m the odd duck more likely to watch ESB, ROTJ, ROTS, and TFA before I watch TPM or ANH, generally kind of regard AOTC as skippable save for a handful of scenes, enjoy Rogue One as it’s own thing that helps the Saga without neccessarily being a huge part of it, Solo as a fun little diversion but not much else, and TLJ as the only film I genuinely do not want to watch again...

...But is still rewatched the Praetorian Guard fight a few times, and I will always say that casting Tran as Rose was a brilliant move - one let down by the story, but brilliant casting nonetheless.

And yeah, I’ve got that weird dichotomy where TFA is maybe my favorite movie, with a slight caveat that it’s somewhat of a guilty pleasure because I think that ESB is clearly better as a film and that ANH is being copied by it. And a lot of that comes down to what I believe was genuinely the most original element of the ST when introduced, and someone that I think was ignored in TLJ to the overall detriment of the story: Finn.

I’m that guy. He’s my boy, he’s awesome, he’s original, and he adds a new dimension to the story in TFA that helps it avoid being a soulless remake of ANH for me... and his de facto demotion in favor of Kylo for significance in TLJ, accompanied by the refusal to make Rey a Skywalker, is what makes me think that the ST is in a downward spiral story-wise from TLJ that TROS may not be able to pull out of without rejecting ideas from TLJ.

And part of that is definitely based off of Kylo, or the way he’s handled by the films. I can forgive and forget how unoriginal the military situation is to some amount; yeah, it’s patheticlaly unimaginative and uninteresting, but if I’m here for the character stuff, than we have an issue. Kylo works fantastically as a loathsome villain... but is just horribly unsuited as the lone Skywalker grandkid or as a protagonist of any sort. He’s a fun madman, epitomizing the worst aspects of the family, and a fine villain for a female Jedi and a black male lead... but by himself, he defines the Skywalkers by their worst traits, and just doesn’t interest me when I’m being asked to think about “Ben Solo” instead.

To kin dof use anothe point here:
    ...It’s how badly Ben Solo compares to Jacen Solo that makes me just not give a damn about the character. Kylo Ren could be a better villain than Darth Caedus, and I’d be okay. But if it ends up that I traded Jacen, Jaina, Anakin Solo, Ben Skywalker, Cade Skywalker, and Ania Solo... for only Ben Solo... then I’m going to be upset.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Hear hear. Was looking forward to a light side Skywalker/Solo to follow and go back to the happier times of the Bantam era for a time before things went south. But we got Kylo instead. Not happy about that.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  12. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    The Force Awakens was my first SW movie and it made me jump into all the old films.

13. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    My biggest hope is that TROS is good enough to let me watch TFA and it back to back and have some kind of context in which I can intellectually incorporate a better version of TLJ’s events thanks to TROS-derived context.

I’m rewatching TFA now on Disney +. And it’s amazing just how well it handled characters, chemistry, and drama, even with how derivative it is of ANH at times. This film has *heart*, and the characters are awesome...

...in TFA.

It’s just that TLJ stripped out or stagnated all the things that gave TFA even a little bit of freshness and exacerbated all the little weaknesses and vulnerabilities in TFA’s setup that the first movie had managed to rush past thanks to ts pacing and the strength of its character-based story. TLJ’s core elements of pretentious and shallow execution of counter-intuitive character beats for the bare handful of TFA characters it cared about killed the momentum and core appeal of the ST.

TROS needs to realize that and kickstart the Sequel Trilogy back into power.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  14. Volley

Volley Jedi Knight

Mar 4, 2017
    Negatively, at least for the Force Awakens, but then Star Wars Bloodline came out and that book was awesome, and it made that movie so much better. That said, it's sad that a book has to do the job that a movie should already be doing.

As for the Last Jedi, I would like to see that movie stripped from canon, rewritten, reshot. That's not happening, so I have to deal with that, and it is my hope that Rise of Skywalker is able to pick up the pieces and improve it somehow like Bloodline did for TFA.

15. afterlight

afterlight Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2019
    The ST has made me appreciate some of the aspects of the old EU I used to struggle with. I’m still not a fan of it, really — I never have warmed to, say, the Vong, or to Mara Jade, and I’ve never overcome a nebulous and probably indefensible feeling that the EU cut a little too much mystery away from the GFFA at times. Still, something about the world of the ST feels a bit claustrophobic, so the sheer size of the Legends world has a new appeal for me and I feel more receptive to diving into that section of the fandom than I once was.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  16. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I read all the "odd" films and thought you did an ultra machete marathon, by watching episodes 1,3,5 and 7 only. Wouldn't be the worst thing.

17. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I always thought that an ambitious and well read sotrygrouo would have been able to look at the old Legends EU and pick out things that worked well and didn’t need much help, things that had strong foundation and could be refined and perfected, and see what to avoid.

For instance, Thrawn seems to have been recognized as a character that could fit over perfectly, and he has, while a villain like Warlord Zsinj also seems perfectly adaptable (only his alignment would maybe need adjustment, unless you want to move him back in the OT timeframe instead of a Post-ROTJ landscape.)

The Inquisitorious arguably got improved in presentation and function. Meanwhile, Mara Jade always felt to me like she had a good start, but could use a more adventurous repackaging to improve on Zahn’s somewhat more chill and cool characterization, and I genuinely think that a romance with Luke could have been better done under a new regime.

At the same time, I’m glad that we don’t have Trioculus and the Glove of Darth Vader, and that the Republic Commando books are gone, even if the Delta Sqaud still lives.

The sad part about all this, though, is how much of the positive adaptations and improvements are *nowhere near* the ST proper. I thought Kylo Ren could be an improvement on the e idea of Darth Caedus, since he could be perfected as a villain without having to worry about making his pre-fall identity’s heroism work (because he didn’t have any)... but clearly LFL was enamored with the concept of a Jacen Solo character, but never bothered to see what worked with Jacen, and what had hampered Caedus. And I’d have to say that the OT3 and their families all seem far more interesting and engaging in Legends, and just... aren’t... now.

18. afterlight

Nov 4, 2019
    Oh, man, I've been checking my local used bookstores for these so I can experience the comedy-horror for myself.

19. Jediking97

Jediking97 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2018
    I have the three volume book,
    bought it at a thrift store because it looked cool and I couldn't even read it all It was such a let down[​IMG]

afterlight likes this.
  20. Jediking97

Jediking97 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2018
    I feel the same way

21. afterlight

Nov 4, 2019
    The weird thing is that I’m pretty sure I remember still seeing these on shelves back when I was just about the target age for them (I...don’t get the impression there’s a right age to experience this series). And yet somehow I just never picked them up. I read a few of the Jedi Apprentice books and thumbed through some of the junior novelizations so I was more than receptive to Star Wars kid lit, but these completely passed me by.

Maybe I should be thankful.

22. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    The ST makes me want to go back to after the release of TPM when I thought this was the worst SW movie I had ever (and would) ever see and slap myself with a Jar Jar doll, going "you ungrateful imbecile, you have no idea how much worse it could have been".

23. AnakinTheChosenOne

AnakinTheChosenOne Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 25, 2019
    After seeing Mandalorian, I would say that I'm excited for future shows on Disney plus, comics, cartoons etc.... The only hang up is the Sequel Trilogy, I don't know I feel so burnt out, I'm sorta just ready for it to end. I get hyped, the trailer was fun the poster's gorgeous but the more I think about it I'm just ready to move on from the Sequel Trilogy... After I viewed ROTS last night I was blown away like I was when I saw it at 7 years old, What a masterpiece. I was thinking to myself "This is Star Wars." I just miss Lucas SW.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I will say that something fascinating, sad, interesting and yet bizarre all at the same time about the polizartion of the ST in general is.....Well.

It kinds like arguing with someone who looks up at the sky and sees it as Orange instead of Blue (Not the best analogy I know but here me out) sometimes when I talk to people about TLJ (espeicially TLJ) it's like we saw completely different movies pan out, obviously we all have our opinions and views, but its surprising (And yet I maybe i shouldn't be surprised) that we just see so polar different things and took different things from it. Granted again maybe I should' be surprised, that's art, you take different things from it, but still.

Also the conversations about the ST (And TLJ especially these days) it's like trying to talk to someone who speaks another language and from a different culture. At least to me it is, sometimes.

These aren't great analogies I know but it feels that way.

25. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, you've said yourself that you don't mind the direction taken with the OT characters. And, that's a major obstacle to enjoying the ST, for some. That, alone, is a pretty understandable reason for a difference of perception about these films. It's really just about what someone's focus is and what resonates with them. And, I'd say it's the same for the creators. What they may feel strongly about, in the story they are telling, might not connect with certain members of the audience. We all just have to be honest, speak to what we feel, and remember there's never any guarantee that anyone will agree with us.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019