main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian Season 1 Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Oct 29, 2019.

1. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Doesn't the series take place 6 years after ROTJ? I could see how tech would have evolved in the years from ESB.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'll watch this again of course. A bit of new lingo, excellent effects. Cool concept art during the closing credits. The thing he rode into the desert after taming it, was that not in a KOTOR game?

So, Yoda's race matures quickly after 50 years old since Yoda is 900 and trained Jedi for 800 years?

revan772 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    That’s the only logical explanation

revan772 likes this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    No, the dialogue only implies that the crude facility on Cloud City is dangerous to use on people. Because it’s crude. There was no indication that carbon freezing had never been used for that purpose. And even if so, almost a decade later, the process (which led to the freezing of the famous Han Solo) may have become popular among innovative bounty hunter types. And as the Mando is considered the best in the parsec...sure. Why not? No re-examination needed.

5 years after ROTJ, yes. As you noted, there is a very easy in-universe explanation for this. Multiple, in fact, when you take into account that the Bespin was described as “crude.”

sizziano and DarthFixxxer like this.
  5. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I don't know what the nu EU says about it, but in Legends, carbonite freezing was ancient tech that pre-dated the hyperdrive. I just think it's a little too convenient that one specific, iconic technology has become more efficient like an electric car or something.

Edit: And according to wookieepedia, that history has been carried over. So, I'm pretty sure that safe, efficient carbon-freezing is not supposed to be unusual or unprecedented by the time of ESB.

6. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I honestly don't think that carbon freezing technology has evolved in a span of 6 years. In the GFFA timeframe that's a very short amount of time. I just think that the facility on Bespin is old, and the device the Mando has in his ship is newer. It's as simple as that really. And I don't think it was ever implied that carbon freezing had never been tested on people prior to ESB.

7. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think it was a much bigger thing than the ending. After all, the ending showed us the third of Yoda’s species, while this was the first toilet. Huge implications for the franchise.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Plus it was used in canon in The Clone Wars.

Bor Mullet and Glitterstimm like this.
  9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Small facility carbon freezing in the Mandalorian time period makes perfect in-universe sense. Hopefully, that’ll be a conversation that ends today.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Never said that it didn't. It just leaves a lot of blanks to fill as the dialogue in ESB between Vader & Fett and from Lando implies that it hadn't been done and was risky, thus the decision to test it on Solo. Made me wonder if the use of it in Cloud City set the trend and the carbon freeze manufacturers got word of it and saw credit signs in their eyes.

it's just an observation really, had no idea it would lead to so much discussion.

11. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Welcome to these boar...ah, a member from 1998. Heh.
    I have to wonder. Had Kyle Katarn been introduced in 1998? When was the first Dark Forces game released? I have played Jedi Knight II and Jedi Outcast at least 5 times each (the whole story I mean)

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    so variety is saying episodes hit at 12:01 AM PT time? best time for me!

13. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Really enjoyed the first episode after two viewings. The first viewing I was a bit iffy. I found the blue alien guy to be somewhat irritating, and I thought it was kinda funny (not in a good way) how the mando just doesn’t see the blurgs coming at all and they kick his butt. But the episode has my favorite Star Wars shoot out yet, and IG-11 was perfect humor. In-character and not obviously a joke the whole time. That stuff was 10/10 Star Wars material. Great ending, awesome end credits, and some nice teases for more mando lore to come.

14. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I believe Dark Forces, his first appearance, was around 95.

RetropME likes this.
  15. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
  16. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    Can’t believe he said it so easily lol. Just flat out said it.

revan772, RetropME and PimpBacca like this.
  17. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Bet he got in to trouble for that. Still they could change it.

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The big thing is... and nobody can tell me it was not him... was Constable Zuvio in the cantina at the beginning.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Dinn Jarren? Okay, we'll go with that. :p

20. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Quigonjinnjarjarkyloren

I love it

Vorax likes this.
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Nah I bet it will be
    Dyn Jarren

revan772 likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    so Carl Weathers is a cheapskate in any galaxy? "Baby, you got a stew going!"

Count Yubnub, Vorax and whostheBossk like this.
  23. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    Favreau and Filoni manage to pull off in five minutes what Rian Johnson couldn't do if his life depended on it... make SW feel cool.

24. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Are the episodes named or just 1, 2, 3 etc?

25. Gamma626

May 6, 2014
    Sadly. Incredibly lame but oh well. Wouldn't have been hard to call this "The Bounty Hunter and the Bounty" or some such thing.