main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Music of The Mandalorian

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Darth_Accipiter, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Let's explore the soundtrack from episodes of The Mandalorian by Ludwig Göransson

selections from season 1, episode 1 (no spoilers, just using the tag for the video player)

whostheBossk, starfish and Wrinty like this.
  2. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    It was alright but there were a few cues that felt contrary to the earlier tone set. The two of them riding on the creatures felt like something out of Rocky going up the stairs.

Not bad as such but tonally weird on first viewing.

3. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    I thought the same thing about the similarity to Rocky. I was a bit jarred by it. I enjoyed the flute motif for the Mandalorian and the explosive brass melody in the credits though. I think the credits music expresses that even though The Mandalorian's loyalties may be questionable, he's the hero of the show. Very Western.

more selections from S1E1:

The Mando's Motif

Things get really unique in this track, very different from anything in Star Wars, even the electro/guitar craziness in S1 of TCW.

more craziness, but this is more like what we heard in TCW.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Chancellor Yoda and Bor Mullet like this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It had a very different tone compared to other Star Wars content much more western inspired

5. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I liked it - fit with the Western theme and I totally thought there was a hint of "Rocky" in there as well, which I quite enjoyed.

6. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    This was one of the very pleasant surprises for me. I did not want another classic symphonic soundtrack for this. It sets a new but very warm and familiar tone for Star Wars stories. I especially liked the synthwavesque sounds towards the end that reminded me of Thor Ragnarok, which I adore. There were actually quite a few elements that reminded me of the MCU, in a good way. Makes sense I guess.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  7. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    I loved how TCW used a wild variety of musical styles, so I'm glad to see Star Wars experimenting again with music.

8. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    The soundtrack worked OK, maybe a lil disjointed. Seems liked they tried going for those old ABC EWOK Star Wars movies type soundtrack and not movie type so far.

Darth Maul Apprentice likes this.
  9. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I really like the soundtrack, so far. It seems like a good balance between offering something unique and different but at the same time sticking with the more classical and operatic tone of the OT and what we’re used to.

10. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I thought it was pretty good, just from listening to the OST. There are few things more boring to me than straight-up Spaghetti Western pastiche so I'll probably skip those tracks in the future and the suspense music is too harsh and electronic. The end title track is interesting though, it cycles through a lot of different styles before evolving into the classic John Williams Symphonic Star Wars style.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    that weird sci-fi synth sound of a Western showdown sting when the Mando opened the door was great.

12. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I really hope this is released on CD soon :)

13. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Holy frickitymonkeydoodlez.

Just listened to the main theme on Youtube, and wow. Goransson, what the hell, you had this in you? Can't speak to the rest of the score/incidental music yet having not seen it, but that theme is damn something. :eek: =D= Credit where credit's due, man, that's some Morricone-esque gold right there. So hoping the rest of the "meat" of the score follows suit.

The people making Rocky comparisons are on-point too, in some ways that motif there's almost more Rocky than some of his actual Creed scores. Not a bad thing, Rocky scores are the ****.

But man. Why wouldn't he have been that generous with incorporating African stuff into his Black Panther effort? Almost more infuriating now, in the wake of seeing him nail this and lean so heavily into the spaghetti-western thing. He was so stingy with the African stuff in BP, it's there, but outside of the waterfall ceremony sequences it's far too sparse.

All the same, yeah. Blahh blahh Palpatine "surprise" quote blahh blahh. Nice work, Swedey McSwedenborg. Welcome to the Star Wars fold.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  14. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    One of my favorite things, the music/soundtrack. The end credits music was fantastic.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  15. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I did not like it at all away from the show. In the show I think it works okay, setting a decent tone. But it sounds nothing like Star Wars and it definitely has no interesting thematic material. I'm listening to the tracks on Apple Music and it's okay, but doesn't seem to stand apart from the show well at all. But then that's how I felt about Black Panther.

16. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    this theme for
    the Mandalorian tribe
    is pretty neat.

I'm not a big fan of the title theme, but I do like the Mando's motif. It has proven to be versatile as both a cue for the Mando's entrance, but also fitting for an action sequence like this one:

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It just should sound more like Star Wars than it does. I get that it should sound different somewhat to jive with the different tone of the show. But the show is a different tone within the world of Star Wars, the music should be too. Instead, it's a completely different sound. Doesn't strike a tone anything like Star Wars music. Just seems like a missed opportunity for the show (so far).

18. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I love the funky weirdness mixed with classic Western style of the score. So refreshing and appropriate for this strange story. He’s giving Morricone a run for his money.

And the Mando theme, the title theme, and closing music, are perfect. Best music in the Disney era, IMO, alongside some great stuff from RO.

I think a safer, orchestral Star Wars style would have been a missed opportunity. So I disagree pretty strongly. The score sounds like the score for a Western in space. So I love it.

19. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Saw interesting post on reddit. Love this kind of stuff. Ending credits was such a nice surprise.

Links to youtube examples in case they don't work:

Bonanza:

Gunsmoke:

Cheyenne:

Maverick:

20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I've listened to the soundtrack several times, and I must say I find it to be phenomenal. Very interesting mix between spaghetti western inspired music, more modern TV music with the synths, and classic orchestral "Star Wars-esque" music. I hope we'll get some hints of familiar themes in future episodes, but still performed in this style.
    I've been skeptical of them changing SW music too much (the first season of TCW had dreadful music IMO), but this has proven me wrong - it can obviously work beautifully.

That being said...
    No. This is just silly-talk. :p

zackm, DarthFixxxer, starfish and 2 others like this.
  21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’ve been banging the drum for radical changes to the music to better suit the tone and style of each new film or TV show (especially with Solo, which I felt was too gritty and small a story to receive full-on classic m orchestral treatment), and as always, I was right. :)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  22. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Different is fine with me, but there are still Star Wars roots that should be apparent. And the music should be good. There's no real themes here, they're basic. And some of the tracks on that Ep 1 playlist are just obnoxious (Bounty Droid). It just doesn't sound even related to Star Wars, which in my opinion it should. I think stuff related to the Tusken music from ANH, some of the sounds of ANH in general would have worked here. Take that as a base and tweak it into more of a spaghetti western in space sound. That's fine, but this is just completely unrelated to the musical language of the Star Wars universe.

23. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I think it strays to far to where sometimes it worked and other times it didn't sound like Star Wars. Even Republic Commando had a better Mando soundtrack. The only music that really stood out to me and was memorable was the metal/backsmith scene(reminded me of Predator or even AvP) - the rest of it is generic and sleep inducing like the first 20 minutes of the episode.

Strilo likes this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Disagreed. It’s a great departure. And for all the right reasons. The music literally feels like the soundtrack for an old space-faring civilization that’s been broken apart. Which reflects the state of this corner of the galaxy post-Empire. Really perfect.

25. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    The title theme is officially an ear worm for me... it grew on me remarkably quickly.