main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    It would explain it, if we didn't already have information on when OT ships were designed and introduced. Like I said, Vader himself is still flying a Eta-2 Actis' at this time. You would expect him to have the best fighter he could get. They could have designed a new fighter to sit inbetween the Eta-2 and TIE advanced v1 in the main villain fighter timeline, blending the two designs together to further show the evolution. They went the lazy canon breaking route instead, probably just so they could reuse an existing 3D model.

FS26 and Daneira like this.
  2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Well instead of explaining it as the Clone Wars ships being scrapped, can't we just assume that they're off-screen, performing second-line duties, or donated off to PSFs?

King of Alsakan likes this.
  3. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Didn’t a Imperial Venator show up in the background in Vader’s comic run (OT era)?

I would like to see more of something like that.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  4. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    Oh indeed, I'm no big fan of the Interceptor's introduction so early either, as I pointed out when it was first revealed in a trailer. My current head canon (I don't know if it's contradicted either later in the game or in the art book) is that this isn't the main line interceptor, but rather a prototype that was brought back years later as a replacement for the TIE/ln. Also my impression is that (minor Bracca spoilers from the intro)
    her interceptor and the 9th sister's Reaper are somewhat indipendent, given that there's no capital ship in orbit when the heroes escape. Perhaps the prototype mounts an hyperdrive, or uses an hyperdrive ring akin to the ones used by Eta-2s and V-Wings?
    About Vader, I guess it could be argued that he would be given a certain autonomy on the craft he could choose (more so than Inquisitors at least).

Indeed, and I'd guess some cruisers were kept for secondary roles or outer rim worlds; just in very small numbers to avoid the public association with the Republic Navy and the Jedi. Same goes for the AT-TE we see defending KDY against Blade Squadron.

That's also my personal explaination. I wouldn't say PSFs given the Empire's push to gradually replace them with their own fleets and stormtroopers, but I'd bet many fell into the hands of close allies such as the Mining Guild to defend their assets (in a similar fashion to how the First Order "pays" its contractors with imperial-era weapons). Many probably fell into the hands of the Rebel Alliance, just like Y-Wings or LAAT/is.

FS26 and Alpha-Red like this.
  5. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I wish some Republic era military ships, even ones in Imperial dressings made a cameo appearance in TRoS.

Long Snoot likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Now that I've gotten the Rebel Starfighter Manual, there's a couple of interesting A-wing related things.

It appears that standard Rebel A-wings do have the Sirplex Z-9 deflector shield generator - it's shown on pictures of ROTJ-type A-Wings. Presumably, the R-22 had a larger shield generator, and it was that which was stripped out, and a smaller generator put in as replacement. So they're not completely shieldless.

The A-Wing has been revised downward in size from 9.6m to 6.9m, and the RZ-2 is specifically called out as longer than the RZ-1 (which makes sense, at 7.28m).

7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    I guess you're the one who left those comments on the Talk page on Wookieepedia? lol

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    aaaaaand I stand corrected, you can see a random interceptor blown out by a LAAT/i on Kashyyyk, so they were definitively in production already.

9. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    [​IMG]

:oops:So stupid. There is meant to be people at Lucasfilm that make sure this kind of thing doesn't happen. Just like period drama productions go to lengths to make sure the technology/clothing the characters are using is correct for that time. Where are they?!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  10. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    And now a blast from the past...Wicket and Teek should give this one away. Does the model still exist?? And should it be used...even if only for background clutter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  11. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I always liked the design of Noa's starship. I'm honestly susprised it hasn't been put in as an Easter Egg in any comics, games, or episodes of Rebels or The Clone Wars.

12. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Reminds me somewhat of the Baudo star yacht. Not an exact match...but basic shape.

13. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000
    i wonder if they will make an X-Wing mini of it someday

14. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    So based on dialogue, the Mandalorian’s ship isn’t called ‘Razor Crest’, that’s actually the model/class name.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Fire Dog likes this.
  15. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    Apparently Ecks is doing an entire series on these now

16. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    I dont get it, EA was given access to all of the Star Wars kitbashes/3-d models... but Marvel wasn't?

17. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    It just gets worse

Do the editors just hand off links to these models or something? it seems almost to perfect that so many of these models are used when they should otherwise have access to the official ones, or at least find frames from the films to trace.

blackmyron, JediBatman and Jedi Ben like this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Huh, weird - doubled.
    The Disnery family is very traditional - EA don't wanna share their toys.

Havoc123 likes this.
  19. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    Only thing I can think of is that they google image search the name of the ship and then not bothering to look at the source of the image.

Fire Dog, vncredleader and JediBatman like this.
  20. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    Kinda weird that they stumbled upon a Nebulon K fan art then.

21. Pons

Pons Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 11, 2019
    I wonder if Eck would've been as pissed if they'd accidentally traced a Nebula...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Fire Dog and Farlion like this.
  22. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Who knows what's going on at Marvel. Maybe they're too rushed or don't care and just trace whatever (the editor or artists, who knows). With how awful the regular people have looked in some of their comics for a long time (with all the tracing) no surprise their ship art is even worse. I still remember some really awful X-men tracing that lasted for a long time.

Well, not like I expected Marvel to come up with that many good stories or many new Star Wars ships. Its not like its all been bad but Allegiance in particular just sounds like a movie cash-in rather than its own attempt at a Star Wars story. Well, I haven't read it, so maybe it turned out better than that, but I'm too burned out on Disney/Marvel Star Wars to expect much.

I know the fan artists can't really complain, if an official Star Wars comic wants to use their work there's no choice, it just seems odd that Marvel comics went with different designs rather than simply using the same old Resurgent or even Imperial-class ships. When they just retrace even the pegs of models though, then it just really seems like laziness (and I'm even more disinclined to ever spend money on Star Wars comics again).

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  23. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    Since we're in the topic it's fun to note that the Rebel Starfighter Workshop Manual uses Battlefront models for the A-Wings (which are also credited at the end).

Daneira likes this.
  24. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Probably what happened...artist may have wanted to use one...thought there was an official pic...and traced the first image that came up when he did the search. But it does not take away from the fact that someone should catch it and if it gets out make it right with an acknowledgement....at the very least.

Tuskin38 and seeker_two like this.
  25. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    The fact that the guy didn't even get a reply to his email shows that Marvel comics just doesn't care. That is the worst thing about this.