main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Out of Bounds (The ELL OOC Thread)

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Trieste, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The correct answer would be, yes the 17th works well for me, but in my head I am saying:

Yes, yes! Let's start the season on Isaac Hanson's 39th Birthday :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  2. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Works for me!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Trieste likes this.
  3. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    In case anyone was worried about the Miners being good this season, by naming their 296 draft class I have clearly jinxed the team again like I did with the DTU Three. :D

Bardan_Jusik and jcgoble3 like this.
  4. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I almost put in a claim on the midfielder, but knew you would do the same. From an in game perspective it might have made sense then, but OOC; I would have hated die rolls to determine that and take away such an opportunity. :p

Trieste likes this.
  5. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    No sense in having a former Smuggler get into a tiff with the Mercs and throw away all that goodwill built up between the two over years and years, right? [face_laugh]

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  6. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Many thanks to @Runjedirun for image hosting tips that have played into the new-and-improved Miners roster images in the library thread. [face_dancing]

Runjedirun likes this.
  7. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I have a question about the now-renamed LFL: Since there are only six teams in our league now, and two of the teams in that league were affiliates of franchises that no longer play in the Elite League, does this force the other two franchises to have affiliates?

8. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    There's only one Skimmer Ade League team that isn't affiliated with the ELL. Cantonica doesn't have an affiliate. They just made it easier for me to create a schedule.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  9. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Let me guess: blame @Trieste?

Actually, isn't that the response everything that isn't perfect in this game?

Trieste likes this.
  10. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    1. Yes.
    2. Yes.
    [face_laugh]

Jedi Gunny and jcgoble3 like this.
  11. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    After watching the first two episodes of The Mandalorian, a few limmie related thoughts:

1. The flamethrower really is the Mandalorian contingency plan.
    2. Independently of this week's scores, I now deeply regret not hiring Boom'la Waa as my general manager.
    3. "Weapons are part of my religion" explains quite a bit about Mercs fans' attitudes at road games.

Bardan_Jusik and jcgoble3 like this.
  12. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    It seems that series was written just for me. Like seriously, I am loving it and think it ts the best ever installment of Star Wars. :boba:

So, for my post today I went and looked at the rules to make sure I was getting the tie break situation right. i figured there would be the change getting rid of conference record as a tie breaker because...well...no conferences. However i did notice something there I had never really noticed before, though i am sure it's not new. If a tie can;t be resolved using the tie breakers, that is record, point differential and total points scored are all the same between two teams, they have to play an extra game. @Trieste, has this actually ever happened before? I can't recall in my time playing, but know there were some earlier seasons before my time. It just sounds like a wonderful thing, bonus limmie for a couple of teams.

Trieste and Runjedirun like this.
  13. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I've played since 264, and it's never happened. To my knowledge, we've never had to go to points scored either and point differential has solved all ties that came to it. I know that originally that said coin flip, but it was changed to an extra game to match an NHL rule change. In order to reach that point, both teams would have to have equal points scored and equal points allowed in order for both point differential and points scored to fail, in addition to a tied head-to-head, and that is very unlikely.

The NFL, last time I checked, lists a coin flip as the last resort on a list of about 15 tiebreakers. MLB of course will play an extra game or two from the beginning without attempting anything else. I don't know what the NBA's last resort is.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    Bardan_Jusik and Runjedirun like this.
  14. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    I forget which season I implemented this change, but it can't be further back than three seasons ago. It started while all current players have been active in the game, so there's no old history of an extra game being required. @jcgoble3 is right that it used to be a coin flip (which, incidentally was the NHL tiebreaker of last resort prior to the institution of an extra game). It is highly unlikely that we'd have two teams exactly tied to the point that an extra game would be required.

Of course, we could decide starting in 297 that we want to throw out the statistics tiebreakers and go straight to an extra game if head-to-head records are tied up (something I had not realized until the Pit pointed it out is much, much more likely now). That would certainly add a new element of drama! We'd have to consider what we felt was the optimum outcome: is more limmie what we want? Or should we be okay with a scenario where a team with +20 in goal differential winds up in a head-to-head tiebreak with a team that's a -20 in goal differential going to an extra game because they're both 6-4 and split their games against each other where the -20 team wins and gets the last playoff spot?

Another scenario to consider? It's not just possible, but likely, that the Commissioner's Trophy would require an extra game if we made an extra game the third tiebreaker after overall record and head-to-head.

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  15. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I don't get a vote anymore, but if I did, I would vote for chaos (i.e. going straight to an extra game after head-to-head). The storylines that would come out of such a game, especially with no NPC teams, would be awesome. The only hitch would be deciding how to handle a three-team or four-team tie, for which inspiration could be taken from MLB: https://www.mlb.com/news/playoff-tiebreaker-rules/c-59527184

16. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    As Justin would say:

"This isn't lightball!" :p

The current system is fine by me, mostly because it is simple and I just learned it. :p However going straight to a tie breaking game would work for me too for the drama. Only issue for me would be eliminating head to head as the first tie break. It would kind of suck to be 2-0 against a team, then end up with the same record as them, play them in a play in game for the playoff spot and then lose. The same goes for awarding the Commissioner's Trophy, I think head to head needs to be kept as the first (and maybe only tie break) before we start going to extra games..

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    jcgoble3 and Runjedirun like this.
  17. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    I think we'd keep head-to-head as the first tiebreak in any scenario. It makes too much sense to eliminate.

18. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    In proof that sometimes I am just so darn lucky that I don't even know it, way back in the day when Niskat Deenever was a key member of the Miners, I had not read Hunger Games. I have in the past few months. However, only now did I remember that Katnis Everdeen was from District 12, who's biggest export was coal...which means that they were almost all...
    ...miners. :oops:
    Coming soon: Trieste accepts a Macarthuer Foundation Genius Award. :p

jcgoble3 and Runjedirun like this.
  19. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Happy Thanksgiving all. I'm thankful that we have this game and that I get to read your stories throughout the year. You all continually surprise me and lately in the not-breaking-the-game-way, so that's nice.

So now I know what I'm getting for the December holidays from you. ;)

Runjedirun, Bardan_Jusik and jcgoble3 like this.
  20. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    After watching episode 4 of The Mandalorian this morning (since people generally forgot to notify me until this week that Fridays are when new Disney+ episodes come out), I initially thought that since a certain someone usually has a theme to their draftees
    a Cara Dune-esque character
    would probably be shooting to the top of several 297 draft board lists but then I realized, "Oh wait, how many episodes do we have left to go? This is probably going to turn out to be a crowded draft field."

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  21. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    This is the way.

Trieste likes this.
  22. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    I might not sing as sweetly as Josh Groban, but I'm sure this will earn Liz's undying affection for me, @Bardan_Jusik :D

jcgoble3, Runjedirun and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  23. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Even though I had an idea for next season, I am now strongly having my next point of view character be a service animal. There is nothing but happiness in that storyline. :D

Runjedirun likes this.
  24. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    See you all on Saturday as I go into a relative Internet shutdown until after my Episode IX viewing. I'm sure the carnage you'll wreak on the game in my absence will be fun. ;)

jcgoble3 likes this.
  25. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Dammit, @Trieste, now I really want some nachos.

Trieste and Runjedirun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.