main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    While you're at it, I want to know if it's actually physically possible to cram ten squadrons' worth of fighters into a MC80.

Wrinty and Sinrebirth like this.
  2. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    7 - 7.2m sounds good to me. Converting that into real dimensions from that metric nonsense that is just under 23 feet to over 23.5. might have to wedge a bunch of it together but sounds doable. Just put a nice slot down the middle for the cockpit and you are golden.

3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    According to the BTS info for Sunday’s resistance episode, that X-Wing is a custom “Chop-shop style hotrod” model the pilot made herself from the days of the Rebellion, around ROTJ. So it’s not a new model X-Wing.

It was designed by Bill George, who made an actual physical model of it first which was then scanned to create the CG model.

https://www.starwars.com/news/buckets-list-extra-rendezvous-point-star-wars-resistance

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    masterskywalker and MercenaryAce like this.
  4. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    The episode's art gallery also gave us this ship:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Which seems familiar but I can't quite place it..

5. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    I always did wonder why with so many mercenaries and pirates we never got more customized fighters. I mean, that's practically UC era Gundam's whole THING at this point.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  6. Pons

Pons Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 11, 2019
    Onager art courtesy of FFG. Looks slightly smaller and certainly a lot less voluminous than an ISD, though it's hard to tell exactly.[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Ruleswise, an ISD has 11 hull points, to an Onager's 10. So it being smaller than an ISD would fit.

8. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Mama Doza'a X-wing...

Size opening cockpit
    gaps in upper wings
    2 cannons on upper wings.
    Are those missile/torpedo launchers on the lower wings??

edit: yes the torps are on the wings per Bucket's List.
    [​IMG]

Did I completely miss this in the episode or was it developed and just not used??

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Snafu55, MercenaryAce and Iron_lord like this.
  9. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    Not in the episode, I’m guessing the wrong episode number is in the info box and was accidentally posted.

Not the first time this has happened, IIRC it happened once with Rebels or Clone Wars not sure which.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Snafu55 and MercenaryAce like this.
  10. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I see V-wing base, with YT-1300 design hint at the rear and YT-2000 at the front all mixed with Mandalorian fighter design. It is so ugly imo, and not in a good way

11. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Looks like a Klingon ship (again).

Fire Dog likes this.
  12. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Found what it reminded me of:
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Gauntlet_starfighter
    with a bit of
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Helix-class_light_interceptor

Yeah, that would be cool and make a lot of sense.

.....and man what I wouldn't live for a star wars fighter game where you got to customize your fighter like that.

Ah yes, that makes sense. There is a racing episode next, it would make sense for this ship to be from that episode.

Fire Dog likes this.
  13. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Actually I was thinking it has a lot of similarities to TNG's Ferengi ship.

14. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    I was thinking Miradorn

[​IMG]

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
  16. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Oh yeah, [face_laugh]

vncredleader likes this.
  17. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    The picture isn't very good, but I noticed LAAT/le dropships in Jedi Fallen Order look a bit different from the ones we see in the animated shows, with armor covering the solar panels making it look less TIE-ish. I personally prefer this new design.
    [​IMG]
    EDIT: just noticed the tail turret is missing too.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  18. Darth Zack

Darth Zack Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
  19. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Glad I wasn't the only one who was reminded of that. I mean it is a solid design element.

20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    It's been a while since I've played Force Commander, but I'm pretty sure that the stated reason that Abridon was being heavily courted by the Alliance was their groundside starfighter production facilities - and when the planet was liberated, to produce A-wings.

The only real details about the "Mark II" in The Bacta War are that they were made by Incom, and that they have a 'swivel-mount laser cannon' - that's how they identify it as a Mark II.

21. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
  22. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Cool. But then questions his size on the ship below it. If the Mon Cal he just describes is 650m then the one below it is at least the large unless there is a large distance between them in that shot.

Tuskin38 likes this.
  23. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    They do have a "shipyard" on an island, with some A-wings parked there, so you're probably right - and I'm not at all against the idea.

But I just want to know exactly what's said. This could just be a defensive squadron, or one of the Rebellion's several relatively modest and clandestine A-wing production lines, set up within an existing small shipyard by the local Alliance sympathisers before the Imperial occupation earlier in the game.

Okay, I've found the passage you're talking about - Incom offered to re-equip Rogue Squadron with "A-wings manufactured by them that have been modified so the laser cannons can swivel and cover the rear" - but as I said, the idea that the A-wing's cannon can rotate goes way back in the lore. The Star Wars Sourcebook stating that the basic Rebel model had an up-down pivot at the front, but some (but not all) had already been upgraded to full rotation by the ESB timeframe. This isn't a brand new thing with the Mk II in 7 ABY.

I don't think these are necessarily the Mk IIs that appear later in the novel - they're certainly not the exact same fighters, as what we see at Thyferra are thirty-six being used by Cracken's Flight Group, not just twelve assigned for Rogue Squadron.

That said, I see no reason to disagree with the idea that the Mk II is essentially this "Incom" design - meaning FreiTek, as the secret owners of KSE! :p - and ICS confirms that the type has fully-rotating cannon as standard.

Interestingly, the same passage mentions that Incom and Koensayr are worried that their X-wings and Y-wings are going to lose out to A-wings and (Slayn & Korpil) B-wings, which implies that there are still multiple A-wing manufacturers, as there had been under the Rebellion. [face_thinking] We know of Cardooine and Abridon as probable locations. Are KDY trying to claim ownership of the design, too? Or wasn't there something about Sienar obtaining the rights to the "Jedi starfighter" derivatives? Possibly the "Mk II" was a successful Incom / FreiTek / KSE attempt to gain control of the design? [face_thinking]

- The Imperial Ewok

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  24. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I have to ask what exactly is the difference between an ISD-I and an ISD-II?

I get very confused and please provide pics if possible.

25. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Visually, it's mainly just the different bridge towers. I think there's also some stuff about different turbolaser arrangements, but you can't see that from the films. If there are any other tiny differences, then they're definitely not noticeable to me. The Star Destroyers in ANH, Rogue One and TROS are ISD1's, while the ones in ESB and ROTJ are ISD2's.

ISD1: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/b/b4/Imperial-I-SD-ANH.jpg
    ISD2: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/4/4b/Stalker.png

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019