main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    The 2 major differences are the structure on top of the command tower....
    Mk I
    [​IMG]

Ml II
    [​IMG]

and the main weapons on the side of the command tower. Having trouble finding clear close up pics...but the Mk I has 8 double barreled batteries and the Mk II has 8 octuple (8 barreled) batteries.

Here are pics of the models for the Devastator (Mk I) http://www.theforce.net/swtc/exhibit/devastator.html
    And Avenger (Mk II) http://www.theforce.net/swtc/exhibit/avenger.html

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    Iron_lord and Blackhole E Snoke like this.
  2. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Eckhartsladder did a video on this just a few days ago.

3. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Did Lucasfilm throw away their Star Destroyer model or something after filming ANH, because they didn't anticipate having to make a sequel? If so, are the X-wing, TIE Fighter, and Millennium Falcon also different models?

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think they made a new model of the Falcon specifically for TFA, that was better scaled than the old "bigger on the inside" model.

The TIEs in Rogue One also look very slightly different, with a broader ring around the cockpit window.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  6. Sans_Fi

Sans_Fi Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 23, 2003
    They didn't throw it away, they just made a new model, bigger and with more detail. You can actually see the original Star Destroyer model in a few shots of Empire Strikes Back. Particularly when you can see a Star Destroyer near the Executor.

The model got modified to have the same targeting array, but the turbines, the turrets and the ammount of detail is from the original ISD-I

For example, when we first meet the Executor, the movie cuts from this model of a ISD-II
    [​IMG]
    To a model of a ISD-I with a modified targeting array
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the old ISD-I model being used (you can tell by the turrets)

[​IMG]

Here is another one:
    [​IMG]

And the weirdest change comes from the ISD that gets disabled. It changes from ISD-I thrusters to ISD-II thrusters between shots.

[​IMG]

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I like that Rogue One ISD-Is have ISD-I style shield generators - it not being treated as "the original model details are incorrect".

8. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Normally what we have here is ships we like...but what are some of the ships you don't like?

For me it is this one. The Mandalmotors HH-87 Starhopper. It just looks off to me. Just my $0.02...they should have done the CloakShape.
    [​IMG]

9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm gonna be honest, if perhaps a bit heretical for this thread: I have always been inclined to outright reject the ISD-I/ISD-II distinction. It's super-nitpicky, not really consistently handled, and doesn't really make sense: lots of ships in the real world have little differences but are still considered of the same class. Maybe Star Destroyers built at Kuat have slightly different characteristics than ones built at Fondor, or maybe one reflects upgrades of some sort, but making it a whole Thing is just kinda silly in my eyes.

10. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Yeah I think I thought that way for a while, but then again maybe they just have a different naming convention? I'm thinking ISD-I and ISD-II aren't considered separate classes but rather analogous to the Flight I, Flight IIA, Flight-whatever that the U.S. Navy uses for subtypes.

Fire Dog, Tuskin38 and vncredleader like this.
  11. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    Like the US Navy, ships of the same class can have differences as the production line ages. These differences are usually indicated by "blocks". A Block 1 ship was usually built in the first production run. As more ships are built and technology advances are incorporated, the block number changes. A Block 3 ship will usually have newer tech than a Block 1....until the Block 1 is refit to Block 3 specs. Sometimes, Block 1 ships might only get a partial refit, resulting in a blend of Block 1 and Block 3 specs.

That pretty much explains the ISD I/II issue for me....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

12. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Beauty shot reminded me of the past again, Empire at War's mods are getting even better, considering in the latest Thrawn's Revenge, you can get Chiefs of State elected. I wonder if we'll eventually get Caedus with the bonus Black Annie. :p

If the Federation Triumvirate took out the bulk of Krayt's old One Sith Forces, is it possible that the Dragon Ships could've been reused as part of Triumvirate forces? We've mainly see them use Pellaeons.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  13. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I'm one of those guys who thinks that concept art deserves a 2nd chance.

This of course would be a fighter....the wings flip out for flight to radiate heat and other reasons. Fold in for storage on landing.
    [​IMG]

I see this as more of a civilian transport. Sort of a luxury SUV of a space ship.
    [​IMG]

MercenaryAce and Sturm Antilles like this.
  14. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
  15. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    @Chris0013 The first one looks like it was built from wind farm turbine parts.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  16. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    I really appreciate that the Mandalorian's ship looks terrible. Not just weathered, but just an ugly, non-sexy design. You don't get the sense its any big deal as a dogfighter. Really helps with the idea he's a mid-tier merc, and why Han in particular is so attached to the Falcon.

17. Pons

Pons Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 11, 2019
    A better look at some familiar ships from Rise of the Resistance...
    MC80A on the left, Neb-C on the right, with a partially-obscured StarFortress in between.
    [​IMG]

Looks like a Bunkerbuster on the left and a Neb-C(?) on the right, with an A-wing in between.
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Both fleets are a lot larger than I initially thought; there are at least 2 Resurgents and multiple MC cruisers, not to mention the starfighters, frigates and support ships. This video shows the entire ride, and at 3:38 you can get a very brief glimpse at an MC85. It is blurry, but the pointy nose is a dead giveaway.

18. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    @Pons

I hate to disappoint you, but that is not an MC85. It is a standard MC80A. The MC80A model they use for the ride appears to have a slightly more pointy nose, but it is basically a Home One-type.

--Adm. Nick

Sinrebirth and Snafu55 like this.
  19. Senator Wan

Senator Wan Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 13, 2017
    That’s a Vakbeor on the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrinty likes this.
  20. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    I am digging whatever I can on the RotR fleet from ride videos. So far, at least 2 MC80As, 2 Neb-Cs, 2 Bunkerbusters, and 3 Vakbeor.

I am also analyzing the MC80As. Notice that the nose hangars are used, at least on the starboard side, to launch A-Wings. I'll post a picture in a few minutes.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  21. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    [​IMG]

This MC80A models is significantly different from the studio model, but also differs from the Rebels model. Given that our TROS MC80As have nose hangars, I expect to see this model in the movie.

CaptainPeabody and Senator Wan like this.
  22. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    So in the last tie in to Fallen Order comic book they showed an interesting ship

[​IMG]

Seems like a proto LAAT/i

23. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    It seems kind of generic to me.

Snafu55 and TheAdmiral like this.
  24. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    What the actual heck is up with those proportions? Are those troopers 3 feet tall? Is this a gunship made for wookies?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Zer0, Vthuil, Alpha-Red and 3 others like this.
  25. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    [face_laugh] It's so bad! Why are the cockpit windows so huge? Literally anyone could have done a better job. It makes the people on the right look like they are Gorax sized giants.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    TheAdmiral likes this.