main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I think that the ships acquired in the book are the same ones featured in the ride, but it's definitely not the same battle. The ride takes place on/above Batuu.

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    My assumption is that they are part of that larger force.

--Adm. Nick

3. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Guavian Death Gang ships from the latest episode....looks like a pretty serious patrol ship.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Reminds me a bit of the old Sienar Shooting Star... :D

And there's a nice echo of the Sith Infiltrator, too - which as Sienar couriers goes, was actually introduced well after the Shooting Star was designed around '95... plus a nice sense of a callback to all the Prequel couriers vaguely resembling the A-wing in the books and comics, and there's a bit of the Falcon in there as well, too, which I'm sure hit most people before the really obscure reference that was my starting point...

Regardless, the point is that I think this is a great design, because not only does this convey a very STAR WARS sense of a lean, fast "hot ship", but this also somehow namechecks and epitomises an entire lineage of designs that seem to have come together without anyone consciously imagining them as connected in that way. :D

- The Imperial Ewok

5. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    And see it in glorious 3D in two weeks!

[​IMG]

6. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Since this just came up in Star Wars Resistance, here is the other look we got at that ship in the Star Wars Adventures comic a whole back.

Sly442 and vncredleader like this.
  7. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Man, even the size checks out. I love the idea that high-and-mighty Sienar had to turn to selling their high-end ships to cybernetic death cults in the Outer Rim. In a lot of ways, what I'm most interested in between the OT and ST is what happened to the major defense contractors.

Sean_Connery likes this.
  8. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A little more clarity on the Guavian-like ship, the Nebulon-B in action, and, indeed, maybe that is Dornean Gunship, but with three engines.

vncredleader likes this.
  9. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    What is that round ship just to the left of the closest ISD in the first image? Also curious about the semi-circle or maybe just large winged ship dead center

10. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Anyone get a good look at the new gunship in the most recent episode of the Mandalorian, the one that got taken out by the X-Wings?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    seeker_two likes this.
  11. P4KISTAN

P4KISTAN Jedi Master star 1

Jun 3, 2013
    a little annoyed that they showed the republic still using 'vintage' T-65 models 5 years after Ep VI...
    AFAIK the T-70 began service shortly after Jakku and by then the Republic probably had a large portion of the galaxy's industrial base to use up in mass producing newer generations of fighters...

Fire Dog and Snafu55 like this.
  12. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    The new Porsche starfighter has been revealed - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...percar-maker-unveils-Star-Wars-spaceship.html

I really like this - the curved cockpit and the fastback fuselage are obviously signature details of Porsche chassis design, but they just look good to me in this form. This works for me as a straightforward Star Wars ship, not just a homage.

But as to homage...? The way that the "front grille" motif of the new four-door Taycan has been captured makes me smile - and is there a bit of a nod to the housings for the indicator lights in the front of the engine farings, too? Ditto for the 911 vents behind the astromech socket. :D

A couple of observations that aren't in the press-release...

* The three-seat cockpit with an uninerrupted canopy echoes (on a more compact scale) the cockpit layout of Mara's Jade Shadow - is that deliberate?

* The Tri-Wing name seems to refer to the layout of the wings and fuselage - possibly also a reference to the Aurebesh glyph trill,

* Obvious Koensayr nod in the forward fuselage. Possibly a reference to the U-wing in the wing-plan. But maybe something else as well...? The distinctive wing shape, with the straight-edge tips, resembles that of the ludicrously fast English Electric Lightning jet fighter (which could go into a mach 2 vertical climb before crossing the end of the runway) - a resemblance that also seems to be echoed in details like the vertically-stacked engines, the low-sitting "tailplane" fins and the plain-metal finish. Now, I have no idea if that's deliberate quotation or pure coincidence, but regardless, I really like that, because I think the Lightning's one of the most brilliant things ever made. I had to censor a wildly off-topic digression about the design in the TIE Fighter thread the other day... :p

:eek: Awesome!! :D

Even more awesome!! :D

Apologies for not having seen that sooner!! :eek: :D

Probably my favourite "new" ship in TFA and TLJ now. :D

Well, Sienar sold their high-end ships to the Sith back in the day, and this could be second-hand, or just bought commercially from whatever the spaceship equivalent of a dealership is... also, we don't canonically know whose badge this ship was sold under at all, and even if they did place this officially in the Sienar lineage, there's continuity that would allow the current marque to be pretty much anybody... [face_thinking]

- The Imperia Ewok

13. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Looked like a modified Porax-38/Rogue-class. Cockpit and extra guns in the nose looked changed.

seeker_two likes this.
  14. Resistance_Man

Resistance_Man Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2018
    Dont know about you guys but I want to learn more about the New Republic Prison Ship! With proper modifications that could be a cool mobile base! Fingers crossed it appears in the massive Resistance/Rebel/New Republic fleet in Episode 9!!!

15. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    My question is (aside from it is in the script...) why was the prison ship cruising along at sublight? Wouldn't it be in hyperspace going from point to point to drop off the prisoners? Or is this the NRs way of imprisoning people...put them on prison barges and keep them off planets to limit escape attempts??

seeker_two and Snafu55 like this.
  16. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Ah, very cool. Thanks for that.

Wonder if it is a new model or just a customized one?

Could be - I know there were examples in real life of prison ships that housed prisoners instead of just transporting them, for the same reason you mentioned. Plus, this does have the advantage of being able to flee any heavily armed rescue attempts, unlike a prison station.

Though, Star Wars certainly has more than one example of attackers jumping in and attack a cargo ship or convoy just chillaxing in realspace for some reason.

If I had to come up with an in-universe explanation, it would probably be based around the fact that ships of different sizes can use different hyperspace routes, so a small attacker can jump in at points where the larger targets can't go into hyperspace to escape.

Course, I am sure there are some examples that would not be explained by such a thing.

Snafu55 likes this.
  17. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    I believe they said they had a short window of opportunity to get onboard the ship. It probably just left hyperspace so it could readjust coordinates and switch hyperspace lanes. That might take a bit of time in the navi-computer plus reaching the next hyperspace lane. The episode didn't even take that long they had 20 minutes before the New Republic reinforcements arrived. 20 minutes seems very reasonable for me to stay in sublight and adjust course.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  18. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I definitely agree. The Bae Lightning wings were the first thing I saw. You are right about how the tail plane is set much lower than the main wing, just like the lightning, and how the shape of the engines match the lightning 's fuselage shape. I also notice though (which probably proves it is not a coincidence) that the straight tail plane and the 2 engines together are very similar to the P-38 lightning, the points extending from the engine nozzles similar to the P-38's thin tail booms. Is it a coincidence that this ship's canopy opens hinged at the front just like an F-35 lightning?

19. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I'm sorta inserting my own headcanon in here, but I think the way hyperspace works (or ought to work) is that you need to exit hyperspace at the outskirts of a star system. If we were using our own solar system as an example, you'd have to exit hyperspace out past Pluto rather than just popping out at Earth. So if your next jump point is on the opposite side of the system, then you'd have to fly through the system and spend maybe a few hours at sublight before you can jump again *.

Having said that, I haven't actually watched this show yet so I don't know what the context of this prison ship raid is...whether it was within a star system or just out in deep space. If it's the latter, then I guess you can just disregard what I said.

* This would also be a handy explanation for why interdictors show up pretty rarely...if the star itself is creating a massive natural interdiction field, then generating an artificial one won't extend the no-warp zone by a significant amount.

Snafu55 likes this.
  20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That's not what we see at the Battle of Endor though. And even in ANH, the Falcon comes out where Alderaan ought to be, only to find an asteroid field there.

21. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Hmm...maybe we can pretend the debris from Alderaan flew out a good distance? And we can also pretend that it's actually ~30 minutes between the Rebel fleet exiting hyperspace and the next shot when we see Endor and the Death Star :p

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    And then there's TFA, where "exiting under the energy shield" is a crucial plot point.

23. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Depends on where the entry/exit point for the hyperspace lane is within the system, plus the orbits of other planets or moons in the system.

CaptainPeabody likes this.
  24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In the novelisation of ANH, a point was made that it's possible to jump to hyperspace while still within a planet's gravitational influence, overriding the safeguards - but it risks shredding the hyperdrive.

Later, "antigrav range" for Alderaan is listed as 6 planetary diameters. The Death Star has just reached that distance and is preparing to fire.

Which suggests that, at least for a planet, you need to be 6 planetary diameters out before you can safely jump out, and maybe the same distance is standard before you can safely jump in.

The visuals of the Forest Moon shot, are IMO reasonably compatible with them arriving "6 Endor diameters" out, and flying in from there.

seeker_two and Sturm Antilles like this.
  25. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Exit speed out of hyperspace seems to be pretty fast too.