main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RX_Sith, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Rey being a novice makes her acting on the vision worse, not better. Because she is new, she shouldn’t be relying on it so heavily. She’s not a dogmatic old Jedi Master who has been letting the Force control her every action for decades, she should still be an entirely free agent, not a puppet of Force visions. She shouldn’t even be thinking that way yet. The Force shouldn’t mean jack **** to her in TLJ. It should just be a physical superpower at that point that she is learning to control.

No, she should not trust the Force, she doesn’t know it yet.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  2. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    the point in her being a novice is that she doesn’t know not to trust the force, especially the dark side of the force.

it’s the dark side of the force that manipulates her to wrongfully thinking Kylo can be turned back to the light side.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  3. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    Ah yes, that time honored advice for Jedi: "Don't trust The Force." Jedi (new and experienced) are susceptible to dark side manipulations all the time. Why is Rey any different?

4. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    She’s already not trusted the Force her entire life. She ran away from it in TFA. It’s alien to her, and worse, it’s intrusive in TLJ.

Luke told her it wasn’t going to go the way she thought. She can “trust the Force”, her own complete inexperience with it, but she can’t trust a master of it? Ah, because RJ made sure Luke was completely undeserving of respect.

wut

Wanting to redeem a fallen man is the dark side now? This is ludicrous, the knots people will twist themselves into to explain this ****.

5. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I’m not twisting myself into a knot lol, I’m just offering my perspective.

For most of her life Rey is unaware of her force sensitivity, just like Luke at the start of ANH. So yes since she is new to the force, and has completed her training, she is very susceptible to the manipulation of the dark side, Snoke uses this to trick her.

Her wanting to redeem Kylo is ludicrous, I agree, and again I think by the end of the film it’s obvious she was wrong to think so. But I still think she’s basing her decision on a vision that originates from the dark side of the force. And her not being fully trained in the ways of the force allows her to more easily fall for the trap.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  6. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    Rey became open to/accepting The Force in TFA. It's literally the title of the movie and the main narrative. In TLJ, Luke is jaded, cynical, and is hesitant to help her in the way she needs/wants.

Redeeming a fallen man is not the dark side. The manipulated Force vision that was motivating her into hasty action was a machination of Snoke...thus, the dark side.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Still begs the question—why didn’t she think, instead of “trusting the Force”? She had to do plenty of thinking to survive on Jakku, and suddenly she pretends she doesn’t have to do that anymore?

8. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    It doesn't matter if the film treats it as if it's wrong if it's something she never would have done in the first place. That's kind of the issue here. Nothing in the film even remotely approaches being compelling enough of a reason for her to go back on the one good conviction she has as a protagonist.

9. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    Likely, the same reason young Jedi in these stories rarely put logic and reasoning in front of their emotions after seeing future visions thru The Force...

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Why does she have “emotions” relating to Kylo in the first place, other than the “stay the hell away from me” emotion?

That, right there, is the problem, and “because the Force” doesn’t explain it.

11. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    Who said “emotions relating to Kylo”? I never said that. That’s your read of it. You think she has a thing for Ren. Shipper? :)

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If that’s what you have taken from this discussion, there is no point in continuing it.

13. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Heroes acting on visions was done at least three times in I-VI and each time it was far more sympathetic and appealing than the one in TLJ.

14. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    (Warning: overbearing defense of TFA and overbearing criticism of TLJ incoming.)
    And I think the big, overriding thing for me is that all those character traits don’t seem to me like they should be applicable in the way that TLJ think they should... because TFA happened.

Does the fact she’s a novice with the Force have any impact on watching Kylo kill Han? No. Is her optimism a big enough factor in her characterization to overcome the anger and sorrow she felt at holding Finn as he lay dying in the snow from a maiming casual strike from Kylo? No. Does the fairy tale about Luke Skywalker really matter as much as the nightmare she lived through with the “monster,” Kylo Ren, violating her mind and torturing her with the Force? No.

The primary issue is that none of Rey’s emotional motivations for TLJ make any sense. Anakin fearing for his wife’s mortality and having vicious wrath over his mother’s death? Yeah, that makes emotional sense. Luke fear for the safety of his friends, even to the point of heading into a trap to try and rescue them? Yeah, that makes emotional sense.

Rey feeling wrath, anger, and maybe even taking some amount of cold satisfaction in betting down Kylo, slicing into his shoulder, spearing his leg, and carving his face? Oh, hell yeah, that makes emotional sense!... and if I can be honest feels like a stronger more intuitive route to follow for showing how she could fall to the dark side. I genuinely felt some worry for Rey in the fight against Kylo on Starkiller Base, because I could 100% empathize and sympathize with her sorrow, fear, and anger in that moment, and was feeling some glee at seeing Kylo’s smug face marred by her lightsaber... and I knew why that could be a dangerous emotion.

There was substance and sincerity to Rey’s wrath in TFA.

And there is a profound lack of substance to Rey as a character in TLJ, and due to the context of her interactions with Kylo, even less than zero substance in how she starts confiding in him and desiring fellowship with him. It’s literally the opposite reaction she should have. It’s her character being twisted in an unnatural and inhuman way to suit another character’s story and the author’s perspective of that character.

*This* is what I’m talking about here. Rey’s being a neophyte with the Force has no bearing on her experiences with Kylo.

And @devilinthedetails made an excellent point earlier, one that I think needs to be emphasized and acknowledged as a cold, hard fact about the ST: Rey has far less reason to be sympathetic or empathize with Kylo than we do as the audience.

You know what we have that Rey doesn’t? Scenes we’ve witnessed of Kylo expressing his turmoil in his most private moments, a close-up view of his conflict while killing Han, knowledge that he froze when he had the chance to kill his mother instead of carrying through with it, and knowledge of Snoke zapping him with Force lightning for getting out of line... and we even know that Leia blames Snoke and Rey *doesn’t* know that, unless she could hear Han and Kylo’s private conversation from a hundred feet up and with the door behind her open to a planet with rapidly changing weather conditions.

You know what Rey has that we don’t?

One dead friend and found family member.

One maimed and nearly killed found family member.

Her mind violated during torture by the same creature responsible for those events.

Those things matter and have substance...

And frankly, they have substance for Kylo that TLJ is ignoring. It’s the perfect formula for a great, loathsome villain who can fuel the story with a brutal, spiteful, vicious feud with Rey... arguably the perfect type of villain she could use.

It was a mistake to ignore that and try and teat Kylo like a protagonist. He was the *perfect* antagonist in terms of emotional hateability... and yet they believe his lip wobble and real last name matter more.

The more a character’s flaw and mistakes in a film have to separated from their personality, experiences, and humanity, and instead summed up as “a (space) wizard did it...” then we’re no longer dealing with a character, and we’re dealing with a plot tool.

Rey reaching towards Kylo without any good reasoning, makes the power of the force-vision on the plot utterly *meaningless* to me. The force vision only happens because of bad character writing... so it can’t change the bad character writing.

And Rey, as a protagonist, cannot be a plot tool for Kylo’s story.

And that’s kind of the central issue with pivoting towards Kylo instead of staying on the path towards Rey and Finn. The more she’s used for his story, and the more Finn is shuffled to the side, the more the double standards and causal hypocrisy behind his writing hurts the central themes and appeals of the actual leads.*

(Yes, I know that Disney has submitted a “For your consideration” sheet on TROS placing Driver as the lead actor, but he clearly wasn’t in either TFA, which made more money and was far more successful with the audiences, or in TLJ, where that was clearly Hamill’s film.)

15. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    Yep, TFA happened. And she very much is in THAT state when first confronting Ren. She's shoots at him, she calls him a monster. He event taunts her with it, commenting on that look she had in the woods. Yet, she's not a static character. She changes throughout TLJ.

I am sorry they didn't make sense to you. It worked for me. I felt that her motives and her journey was in line with (played by the rules of) what we've before seen in these stories. Ultimately I didn't think the movie asked us to make huge logistical leaps in this regard.

Again, this is where she is at with him at the beginning of TLJ. It wasn't disregarded.

First of all, calling "desiring fellowship" makes it seems more romantic and sexual than it's ever presented in the film. Kuddos for that phasing. It's like naughty and church all at once. :)

She and Ren cannot control when the Force connections occur. Again, they are being manipulated by Snoke. Neither of them choose when/how the Force connection happens. Neither is a willing participant. Rey and Ren do not choose to sync up the connection or actively "reach out" at any point. Is this incorrect? It's "Forced" upon them. :cool:

Initially, Rey doesn't want to have anything to do with Kylo Ren. She is filled with the rage that you so describe at the end of TFA. Yet, she needs to know one thing. She wants an answer: How/why could Kylo Ren murder his own father (our beloved Han Solo)? This opens the door to Kylo being manipulative as well. His whole "lost son" thing could be real, yet seems to be a ruse designed to lure Rey in to the Dark Side. We see this manifest when he plays on her insecurities (family stuff) and tries to twist her to the Dark Side. Furthermore, their Force communicating seems to be a process that evolves over time. I am not sure how long she is on the island, or if we see all of their conversations.

As an audience, we are supposed to fear the path to the Dark Side for all Jedi in training, but the film makes sure to point out that Rey goes straight to the Dark Side without hesitation. Luke has seen that only once before with Ben Solo. THAT is the temptation/threat that Kylo Ren in providing. It's not about romance, it's not about empathy, it's about Kylo Ren trying to turn her to the Dark Side, and Rey trying to use the power of the Force in order to help The Resistance survive/win.

16. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    And my two counterarguments to that are these:

1. The sheer speed with which Rey abandons her anger and wrath towards Kylo is emotionally cold and unrealistic by any measure, and only really makes sense of one already decides to be sympathetic and engaged with Kylo, which Rey still has no reason to. It’s not dynamic character growth.... it’s charcater derailment. To me, it kind of requires the audience to dismiss the importance of her relationship with Finn, her relationship with Han, and the sheer phsychological horror and inability to understand Kylo at all for killing his father (don’t worry, I’ll address that “answer” in #2).

You can’t see Finn as being that important to Rey in TLJ’s mind if his near-murder at Kylo’s hands isn’t something she feels like confronting Kylo about, or holding a deep grudge against him for. Yet in TFA, arguably the peak of their mutual adventure together was Finn (unknowingly) fulfilling Rey’s desire for someone to “come back” for her, when *that*, not an identity crisis, was her main desire and biggest internal struggle in the film. I know some people feel it’s inferred via her violent response to Kylo initially... but is believable to have such an ultimately fleeting amount of anger when someone tortures and nearly murders a member of your family? Only days ago?

One scene of anger does not honor the emotional stakes of TFA. It undercuts and dismisses them. Probably because Johnson doesn’t care about Finn that much, and may even see him as aliability towards his conception of Kylo.

And does it make any sense for the character who fought tooth and nail to drive Kylo from her mind for violating her inner most thoughts and feelings, to have any component of her own will play a part in her eventually seeking “fellowship” (which I mean more in the bluntly platonic sense, for the record) with the same Kylo?

No.

It doesn’t.

It’s a direct contradiction in the story, caused by the writer’s own personal fascination with Kylo overriding what logical extrapolations would be formed from Rey’s previous behavior and background. Kylo had to brutally assault and degrade her mind to try and get at her secrets last time, and she was in extreme emotional and physical pain because of that, and she’s a self-sufficient and tough survivor of a scavenger planet... and yet in TLJ, Rian Johnson wants her to eventually just start trying to share and confide with Kylo.

There’s only two ways to interpret this, and neither one are good: either Johnson thinks that Rey would naturally seek to share and coffee this information in anyone, even Kylo, in direct contradiction of he rorevious portrayal from TFA and towards the last person to whom it could go, which screws up her character for the sake of Kylo... or Snoke is having such an outsized effect on Rey’s actions and feelings, that they *arent* Rey’s feelings... in which case she really is just a tool for Kylo’s story.

Either way, Johnson’s doesn’t have any respect for the real pain, sorrow and anger Rey would be experiencing, and offers only minor, contemptible lip service to it in one scene. And I’m sorry, but that’s unacceptable for a main character, which Rey is, especially for the sake of a supporting character, which is what Kylo is.

2. How in the hell is Kylo’s half-assed excuse for an explanation about Han’s death supposed to not just terrify Rey and drive her further away from Kylo?!?!

Seriously, she’s wanted nothing more than for her family to return to her, and has witnessed Han be that for Kylo... and then seen Kylo kill Han for doing that. Then, when she questions Kylo about it, he rattles off something about how he had to for himself, and deflects.

How the hell could that endear him to her? How the hell is that supposed to be any kind of manipulative answer from him? He’s not offering any “carrot”, and his “stick” is pathetic, and neither are comprehendable to Rey.

Yeah, she has family issues. And nothing Kylo says could actually manipulate to turn her towards him.

She’s not grown as a character. And she’s not the same character from TFA, because that character is too passionate, has too much of a backbone, has too much of a survivors instinct, and cares too much about her new friends and found family.

Because a TFA Rey would require much greater writing for Kylo to actually catalyst change in her toward him. His Byronic Anti-Hero bull-honkey ain’t going to work on someone who’s had to deal with an actually traumatic and tough childhood, and HE, not her, needed to be written to accommodate HER story not the other way around,

TLJ’s approach to the idea of dark side temptation is abstract and absent of humanity... probably because if they tried to incorporate Rey’s humanity into a dark side story, it’d be against Kylo, easily the most loathsome person she knows... and Rian Johnson couldn’t stomach that.

17. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    I don't necessarily disagree with this. While in our real time world, it was two years between TFA and TLJ. For Rey, it was mere days. Realistically, she did not have the time* the audience did to process the events of Episode 7 before going into Episode 8. There is a bit of a disconnect there. I think this is a weakness of TLJ. A strong argument can be made that they should have not picked up events IMMEDIATELY after TFA. Flipside to that is: How could they not given the set up/cliff hanger?

*Did you ever used to watch the tv show "24" with Kiefer Sutherland playing Jack Bauer? It was supposed to be in "real time." Each hour long episode was one hour of his day fighting terrorists, etc. Well, if you spaced out the episodes and watched one episode weekly, the narrative and made sense...the producers seemed to count on the spaces between episodes. Yet, if you binged watched episodes, you realized quickly that Jack Bauer was not reacting to events that happened mere hours ago in any kind of realistic/human way.

Meh. Star Wars is pretty loosey goosey with how it deals with characters and their "real" pain, sorrow, and anger. These are archetypal characters in a fantasy world. Yes, they are grounded and (mostly) relatable. However, there are a lot of instances of characters in every trilogy not really responding to the fantastic events going on around them in "realistic" ways. It's part of the style of these movies. We could get into specifics, but this is probably not the forum for it.

If I'm not mistaken, Rey isn't enthralled or satisfied or taken in with his answer about Han Solo's murder. She basically views Ren as a monster up until she hears his take on the night he turned on Luke Skywalker and destroyed the temple. No? So, his response/deflection about murdering his father isn't something that causes her to engage with him anyways...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  18. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Such as?

devilinthedetails likes this.
  19. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    And I think this can be considered a weak defense for TLJ's story, because TLJ is definitely trying to be more ambitious and mature with Luke's story, but is doing the exact opposite with Rey.

And I don't mind specifics, for the record.;)

Something like Luke being more crushed by Obi-Wan's death than Leia is by her planet's destruction is a good example of this, or Padme moving past Anakin slaughtering the Sand People; both can have explanations (Leia is perhaps just made of tougher stuff, Padme maybe isn't over her species-ism from growing up on Naboo), but both showcase perhaps loosey-goosey in their pain and sorrow...

...And both are supporting characters, not the main ones.

Rey is a main one.

Which compiles into two problem with TLJ that I think deserve severe criticism - not only is Rey experiencing a problem from previous stories that isn't being fixed... but she's having the problems of supporting characters, when she most definitely is not supposed to be one, so it's WORSE.

And I'd argue that we also enter a new question: should Rey's emotional reactions and believability be held to the standard of all previous Star Wars movies... Or to TFA more specifically? I mean, TFA is supposed to be the new, improved version of ANH in many ways, with an eye towards the future via greater representation and even more progressive themes... And Rey's emotional reactions there are perfect and 100% relatable. Soooo.... should I just accept a regression on TLJ's part for her portrayal? Should I just say, "Eh, it's not as good as TFA, but it's about par for AOTC" and just move along?

I'd say no.

Especially since, ultimately, I think this brings us down to a simple question: what would be better for Rey and the series? Applying a pro-Kylo double-standard that hurts her characterization going forward? Or applying, at minimum, the same degree of focus that Luke and Anakin got, and realizing that Rey experiencing believable pain and anger should have more weight than the belief that Kylo *could* be viewed sympathetically?

Fundamentally, we're making a weaker protagonist than previous ones, and for the sake of a half-bake head fake on Kylo getting redeemed.
    And yet, considering the emphasis put on her story's emotional aspect in TFA, and how substantive and important Han's murder was... it really *should* still mean more than whatever Kylo will say about an unrelated subject. Why is her personal experience and loss going to matter less in her opinion of Kylo than a story he tells her about himself and others?

And, to point this, this is where it hurts the story for Rian Johnson to just casually acknowledge Kylo killing other students of Luke's... Rey's predecessors. You can't simultaneously argue that Kylo's story should matter more than what Rey has witnessed and experienced... but then also she can't pick at Kylo's story in ways that should matter to her as well.

At the core of this problem is that TLJ expects the story to revolve around Kylo, rather than Rey, to revolve around an underwritten character with less than half her screentime and an alien, in-ward looking perspective that lacks empathy for others.

And why should I consider that acceptable? We're supposed to be nicer and more understanding of Kylo than Anakin? Anakin was at least the protagonist once, and the film was sure to condemn his actions when they went wrong. TLJ is expecting Kylo to get better treatment than that, and at Rey' expense.

It's a liability to the story... and a fundamental reason why neither Rey nor Kylo have quite managed to take off the way Disney hoped.

20. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    This isn't even a new line of argument for these films. You have people who view the film as some kind of revolutionary step forward for the series' story but when presented with all the backward attempts at storytelling that the ST has, they end up talking out of the other end of their mouth and go "Well, Star Wars has always been like this" and then proceed to use a completely inapplicable and incorrect comparison. Any discussion surrounding Kylo Ren goes down this path fairly regularly.

21. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    Exactly. The underlined are your personal explanations, or hypothetical/possible explanations that people may come up with? Either way, it's whatever works for the viewer. People see what they want to see and fill in perceived narrative gaps with their own explanations. This is essentially head canon, no? Obviously, there is a TON of this going on in all facets of Star Wars. It's not necessarily that these films are weak narratively, it's just built into the genre/style.

Fantasy/fairy tales heroes do certain things because that's what they do within these types of stories. The characters follow patterns and formula (or in come cases do the inverse of the pattern/formula). George Lucas has said as much. I maintain that a certain amount suspension of disbelief is always beneficial (if not required) for Star Wars because these characters rarely react how "real people" would. They act like archetypes do when the script/story dictates. That's nothing new.

1. I'm not sure where your narrative of TFA supposed to be a "new improved version of ANH" comes from. It's a cynical take for sure. Certainly TFA is very similar to ANH, but I have never heard anyone (creators/critics/fans) tout it as the "new and improved" ANH. If anything, similarities to ANH have been a source of criticism for TFA.

2. I think that it is only fair to hold elements of any new Star Wars film to the standards set by the previous. Obviously, there is a balancing act. I mean, Jedi now display more abilities/powers than a Jedi did in 1977-1983. It's a tenuous thing to do "new" in Star Wars, yet hold true to what's come before. See: midichlorians. Furthermore, fans scrutinize any new Star Wars movies A LOT more than upon first viewing the original. It's been that way since 1999, at least. There are things that the prequels and sequels get hammered for that are accepted in the OT.

3. I don't care is a character is a supporting character, or main character...their emotions/reactions need to be consistent with the rules of the movie/galaxy that they are in. It should not matter if they are supporting, or main. Rey is not breaking any established norm that we've seen in any Star Wars movie. These are archetypal characters with a layer of "relatable" human painted over them. That may seem dismissive, or negative, but it's one of the reasons these movies have endured.

Sure. Unless you hate AOTC, I suppose.

We'll see after Episode IX. Side question: Is Anakin the main protagonist of TPM?

Can you rephrase this, or say it in a different way for me?

TCF-1138 likes this.
  22. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    It's pretty simple. His point is that there is very little that Kylo could say that would dissuade her from how she feels regarding his actions toward her and those she cared about. The film hardly gives anything compelling that seems like it would make her feel otherwise.

23. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    In general, I feel that TFA had a higher standard than the PT and OT in some ways, and that those higher standards *should* be met; the MCU raised its standards after Phase 2, and the franchise benefitted from it. For me, TFA being a new and improved ANH is a compliment: the film was laying down rails for a new three-film story instead of being stand alone, firmly established new character and strong characterizations, *not just archtypes.*

And then TLJ arrived and undercut those advantages.

And at the heart of that is making several severe mistakes about Rey, Finn, and Kylo, partially in that while TFA was focused on nailing the characterizations and stories of Rey, Finn, and Kylo, TLJ was overly enamored but confused about Kylo, horribly and regressive confused with Rey, and apathetic and uninterested in Finn.... while still being confused about him.

TLJ showcases how the story was written by someone who looked at an early draft of the previous film’s script, made some archetypal judgements, and then didn’t react as the character were actually fleshed out by the film.
    Here’s my main issue: the characters follow a pattern and formula... but they still become characters. They start as archetypes, then for what into something more. At a certain point key aspects of the personalities and depth become somethingsoldi enough the audience doesn’t need to suspend as much disbelief. Luke struggle with his father and his mission! That’s strong. Han’s love for Leia? That's strong.

Rey having backbone? That was strong... in TFA, and then promptly ignored by TLJ.

Kylo? I mean, he’s supposed to be a deep character. The question is... what type of character or archetype is he supposed to be?

(Quoting the next part here to make the point more specifically.)
    Rey *is* breaking her an established norm; her foundational archetype. TFA makes her a hardened action girl desperately desiring her family and their love. TLJ makes her a mentally fragile Ingenue with an identity crisis. Either archetype could work well over two films. In opposition to each other in one film apeice, they damage her ability to invoke even a shallow archetypal reading - is she a passionate but tough person, or is she a somewhat passive and emotionally flighty character?

Kylo is *also* breaking an established norm: his core character and purpose in the story. This gets a bit tricky; it’s starting to look like LFL may be feeling they made a mistake in allowing Finn to be the male lead over Kylo (or at least for TFA and still more heavily featured than Kylo in TLJ).

But what archetype is Kylo introduced as in the more successful film where he’s got more screentime?

Is it the same one as in TLJ? No.

TFA? He’s a monster, darker than Vader, more selfish and self consumed, unstable; he’s a mad mass murder who make some himself commit patricide. He’s a supporting character who highlights the main heroes’ stories, and makes their stories better.

TLJ? He’s a Byronic Anti-Hero, where his self-centered ESB’s is supposed to be an asset because his internal turmoil is supposed to be the main attraction of his character. He’s no longer support for Rey and Finn; he’s supposed to be her partner and equal, and she’s supposed to need him to tell her story.

The problem is that a Byronic Anti-Hero doesn’t work with Star Wars. How can I care about Kylo’s internal struggle if he’s clearly the mass murdering villain I’m supposed to hate... and the film isn’t making adjustments to overcome that, but thinking that the same monster from one film can just be the anti-hero now.
    I’d probably say no. I think Qui-Gon’s that film’s protagonist. The whole film generally acts as a prologue to the PT rather than part one. Then when Qui-Gon dies, Anakin’s story begins, with Obi-Wan as the deuteragonist.
    Let me try this:

Kylo tells Rey a story that doesn’t involve her, except in a tertiary way... and one that really doesn’t give her any reason to care about his opinion: he’s the star as the victim of Luke... but also as the murderer of the people Rey’s tying to replace... and he’s still her assaulter, so he’s still just confirming his worst traits to her even as he tries to make some contradictory point.

Why should she care about his perspective? His story doesn’t do anything to address what he’s done to *her,* and fundamentally, he doesn’t give her any reason to change her perspective of him, because of how the story just thinks he’s already sympathetic.

It’s taking out the humanity and emotion of Rey’s personal experiences in the back half of TFA... and not replacing them with anything.

The story he tells of the hut doesn’t ultimately have any reason to make Rey think he’s a possible ally.

So why does the film test it like it does?

Because the film has a double standard for Kylo that harms his character, Rey, and the overall conflict. More audiences buy-in is expected from much less writing and characterization.

24. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    This is where you lose me. I absolutely love TFA. Yet, I don't think it set a higher standard than the PT and OT. I think it was par for the course. It checked all of the boxes, successfully pushed the narrative ahead 30 years, and was a rollicking space adventure that I'd been waiting for. That said, it didn't necessarily break any new ground as far as Star Wars goes. It played things relatively safe...especially compared to the prequels. From production design, to new concepts, TFA it was like a perfectly orchestrated greatest hits tour. It was exactly what was needed. Again, I disagree that it upped the ante for Star Wars films.

Agreed, but the characters still have a primary/archetypal function. As cool as Rey is, she's not new as an archetype. She's cut from the same cloth as Wonder Woman or Athena. She's a crusader (with a little bit of the lost soul mixed in). You can dress up these archetypes in a variety of ways...they still have to fulfill their function in the monomyth. Sure, it should not be at the expense of the character...but often that's simply in the eye of the beholder. Example: Why was Anakin Skywalker reviled by some who thought he was petulant and whiny compared to Luke Skywalker? My thought is because this characterization was not what some people had in mind for a young Darth Vader....even though he is fulfilling the archetypal narrative perfectly.

Rey has a backbone. She has strength. In TLJ, she has a lot of fiery moments like in TFA. That said, being strong isn't always raging and responding with venom and violence at every moment. In any event, this is not even how Rey is during most of TFA. Think of Rey's characterization in TFA, she was very vulnerable and introspective in some moments. She used her rage/fire/aggression to cover up her sadness about the whole being abandoned thing. Yeah, she's tough and street smart, but she's got a huge insecurities and naivety in other situations. Be honest: She seems angry and on the verge of tears in a lot of TFA and TLJ.

As far as Kylo Ren's archetype: To me, he is clearly the forgotten son. This is the same archetype as Mordred, Loki, etc. Classic dark prince type of stuff. This is what hit me as soon as he took off his helmet in TFA. He's obviously posing as a monster/tyrant...ala Darth Vader, but like most who are this same archetype...he's creating an illusion to project fear. He's dressing up in (grand) daddy's clothes.

The suggestion of REN being a Byronic Anti-hero in TLJ seems apt upon first glance, but the problem is this...he's not a hero, nor even morally grey anti-hero. He's the villain through and through.

TLJ plays with the idea of Ren's redemption as a hero, but that's just it....it's a tease to Rey and us. He never does anything heroic, his saving Rey was a result of his big power grab. He didn't do this for her, nor for good. He did it because he was pissed at Snoke and was doing the Sith thing. This is why it perplexes me when some fans suggest we were, ultimately, supposed to feel empathy for Ren. Ultimately, we weren't supposed to. Luke and Leia confirm this near the end with their lines. Again, Ren's redemption in TLJ was a tease, and a fake out... for the audience and for Rey.

Why does she care about Ren's perspective of the waking up to a lightsaber incident? Insight into Luke Skywalker and what happened to him. The story doesn't involve her, her interest is in the Luke Skywalker aspect. She wants to know why her legendary hero is dejected and broken.

Think back to Ren's version of the story. Luke is evil with a murderous/dark side face. Rey's reaction is never, "Oh Ben you poor baby." She doesn't actually show him sympathy after his version is told. What Rey does immediately (with her piss and vinegar that you loved from TFA still intact) is confront Luke and demand the truth. She wants to know why he lied and if his actions (and subsequent inactions) put the entire galaxy in jeopardy. Now, of course I thought she should trust Luke Skywalker....because he's Luke Skywalker. He wasn't the legend she'd expected though. This is where her street smarts and all that cloud her judgment. She rushes him just like she did Finn in the market, just like she did Ren in the woods. We are supposed to be a bit worried by this as it seems she is being tempted by/acting on The Dark Side, or is, at least, recklessly in danger.

It doesn't. Rey is not persuaded by Ren's story. She is persuaded with the "clear as day" Force Vision, the idea/legend that Luke turned Vader good, and by the fact that Luke lied to her about Ren's turn.

It's not a double standard. Ultimately, TLJ doesn't treat Ren as a hero/victim with any honesty or sincerity whatsoever.

TLJ toys around with Ren's redemption as a narrative ruse while, at the same time, teasing the audience with the idea that Rey may turn to The Dark Side. Neither of these actually come to fruition, yet the film had to keep the audience guessing until the lightsaber was split. Some fans are still upset that these lines were blurred or teased which is odd considering that Rey and Ren fulfill the classic protagonist/antagonist functions of being mirrors of each other. Would you prefer the movie not mess around with this dynamic?

25. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    So...which is it? It can't be both.

There was nothing to actually tease in the first place though. When he took the throne for himself, it was the least surprising thing that could have possibly happened. We already knew that he was a murderous megalomaniac. That's why it is such an issue for a lot of people that Rey is strung along this awful plotline since not only does she not know this character well enough at all, he's also hurt the only people that have treated her as something other than a means to an end. Something a lot of of people who want to think TLJ's a good film seem to constantly ignore at all times. That is significant and makes much of what occurs completely and utterly unbelievable.

Well...in this case, yes. In order to mess around with this dynamic, they'd have to provide context for traits in which they are comparable. However, this is not the case. They are so diametrically opposite of one another in every way which results in their TLJ interaction not having the slightest trace of believability.

See, this is it. This is the kind of pathetic apologia people are referring to. He isn't the forgotten son. He is no way comparable to any incarnation of Mordred. He was never forgotten. People always talk about "bringing him home" and "coming back to the Light" and how he's so "split apart". He's fully intent on his ways, was wanting for nothing and was generally a complete brat. That is pretty much fully apparent and little is seen that changes thatt. The Thor films at least addressed the history of the characters that led them to how they were in their respective films, Loki included. Did either TLJ or TFA do that? No. They didn't. So, they fundamentally failed to accomplish even that because everyone writing these films agreed that exposition are apparently useless narrative devices.

Yeah, but Anakin's storyline was actually well-constructed and consistently built on its themes as well as the convictions of the characters within it. With Rey, no such thing occurs. She is whatever the plot needs her to be at any moment and that is not a good look for a protagonist, especially one as bland as this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.