main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Special edition - worst and best changes

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jo Lucas, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    The 2004 transfers had such aggressive DNR wipe away the grain that to use those same transfers in 2012 for the BluRays fake grain was added to make them passable. Once the eye recognizes the difference betweem fake and real grain it ruins the BluRays. It looks like fake ugly noise, like static, added to the image to create the illusion of a sharp image.

2. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    God, I must have a really bad eye then.

3. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    That so many people like the look of the BluRays shows there were reasons for making the movies look like that and it was successful.

4. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    I don't know if it "proves" anything other than that some people notice these things and some people don't.

5. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    No, thats not it. The blu-rays are decent, thats all.

Perhaps - the existing blu-rays that I have look good on my 65" OLED.

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The necessary grain removal applied in the 2004 restoration made them apply a layer of grain afterwards for a consistent presentation throughout.

Of course, it's more noticeable to some people than to others. Specially those who know and are looking for it. But that's true for everything.

7. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Outside of online discussions with videophiles enthusiasts I've never met anyone who ever mentioned anything ever about the color timing of the blu-rays. One guy is a camera assistant who works on TV and movies but he never noticed and when I mentioned the subject he had no interest in it.

8. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Some people don't notice it, some people complain vocally about it. I haven't heard of many people enthusiastically saying how much they like the Blu-ray colors as opposed to what came before.

And in any case, the colors have been changed again for the Disney+ versions (which Lucas allegedly oversaw in 2012). Or rather, reverted, in most cases.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  9. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    It's not something the casual person will notice. That doesn't really invalidate the critiques of the Blu-ray though.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  10. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    No but it does place them in perspective. I have had no problem whatsoever watching those versions even though I prefer the 97 and 4K variations as well as the various other attempts but then I often heighten the colors on many movies because I like that look. I sometimes watch the prequels that way as well.

11. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I mean, I think most people are aware that almost all people don't care about the quality of the transfers. The only one I find genuinely distracting is the 2004 ANH transfer.

12. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    For me it's Return of the Jedi. So many corners cut on that one. An entire reel is out of focus. It wasn't so noticeable on the DVD but the BluRay was horrible.

ANH had those strange skin tones and it's own problems. It's just that Jedi clearly was released unfinished.

The good news is we have the 19SEs now. They look fantastic. I've waited a long time for this.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  13. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Yeah, I hear ya here. The color timing has issues on the blu-rays, I know that. I just find them to be decent overall. Doesnt mean Im not totally ready for upgrades. Like some great 4k DISCS(not straeming). Id buy those Day 1.

14. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    Honestly, the only time I noticed it is with R2-D2. His blue panels look oversaturated in the Blu Ray most of the time. Before I found this thread, I was readjusting my TV because I thought the calibration was wrong/off.

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    about 30 minutes into officially watching the D+ ANH version, I do like the colours better on this one because it seems more like a film artifact as opposed to the brighter colours of the versions before that. Of note, when the blockade runner is docking with the SD at the the VFX shot there seems to be more pronounced FX noises like hissing and popping or something (like a airlock sealing) and the music goes down, was that a part of the original or did they bring it up in the mix?

EDIT: just hit the part when Obi-Wan scares off the Sand People and the howl he does definitely sounds different than before. Kind of freakier, actually, hahahah.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  16. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    I've finally watched through the entire remastered Original Trilogy on D+. Compared to the 2004 masters they're night-and-day upgrades all around, but most noticeably color-wise; no blanket tints, natural skin tones, filmic contrast, etc. While not perfect, they're really damn good, so much better than previous transfers.

SlashMan likes this.
  17. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I have Disney+ and I need to check out those versions. I've mostly watched the despecialized editions of the OT for a while now. I prefer those versions, but I like seeing Ian in Empire and Hayden in Jedi.

18. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    They changed that one again too? XD

19. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Same as 2010, right?

20. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Am I supposed to have some super-TV so that the 4K versions don't look washed-out or something?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Luke's saber looks white in some scenes like the old blu-rays, and I saw people praising the fact they fixed Vader's pink saber, which...uhhh sure, I'll take your word for it

Shouldn't it look more like this?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  21. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Yeah, am I missing something? Here's how the Disney+ version looks on my computer vs. how it looks in that video:

Computer:
    [​IMG]
    Video:
    [​IMG]

Computer:
    [​IMG]
    Video:
    [​IMG]

Computer:
    [​IMG]
    Video:
    [​IMG]

What's the deal here? Is this something to do with HDR? Would honestly prefer it if it looked more like the video.

22. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Sorry yeah, it appears that the videos from that YouTube channel are notoriously inaccurate.

23. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    Not sure how you're looking at it, but on my displays it looks like the bottom shots. The top looks like HDR displayed on a normal SDR display.

Vinylshadow likes this.
  24. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    If you looked at some of the other shots, I doubt you would be saying that. Something must have gone wrong with the transfer of the video to youtube, because most of the shots look awful (Leia has green hair for example on some shots).

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  25. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    Something ironic hit me yesterday. Lucas made it his life's mission to get away from the movie studios after feeling that they made arbitrary editing changes to THX and American Graffiti against his (the director's wishes). This was fresh in my mind having just read a Lucas biography. Well, what he's done with the many changes to the original trilogy, starting with the special editions, is essentially the same. The studio (LucasFilm) is editing TESB and ROTJ, altering the work of Kershner and Marquand. I wonder if they gave their blessing.