main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Luke Skywalker/Mark Hamill Discussion Thread [SEE WARNING ON PAGE 134]

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    New Forum, new thread! This is the new catch-all thread for discussion of the character, and sometimes the actor who played him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  2. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love how this came back into play.

[​IMG]

Vasco_Rojo and whostheBossk like this.
  3. MaverickJedi85

MaverickJedi85 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2019
    Should have been actually there, in the flesh, not a Force projection.

4. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008
    The lifting of the X-wing in TROS solidified his cowardice in TLJ.

RIP

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I have said this before but I’ll say it again. I think Mark gave his best acting performance in TLJ and the fact that he didn’t like originally where RJ took Luie makes it all the more impressive

6. jimtalkbox

jimtalkbox Jedi Master star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    MH was practically the only watchable thing in TLJ.

He was reduced to a caricature in ROS. What a shame...

Sadie Erso and Nate787 like this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean he had two scenes that’s it

8. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Well I liked his advice to Rey, that Leia sensed her heart regardless of where Rey originated from.
    It wasn't just a cheap retcon of TLJ, he really came off like he genuinely felt this way now.

And the final Jedi voice is Luke's if I recall.
    "Rey. The force will be with you. Always."

That was powerful and fitting.

9. -LordSkywalker-

-LordSkywalker- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    I think my avatar says it all as to what my feelings are on the ST “Luke”. He died a failure. Not my Luke.

10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    It was cool seeing Luke for a second in TFA. In TLJ it was cool seeing Mark Hamill in a big role again. Still wondering what Luke was up to on that island, though.

DarthKreVass and AgentCoop like this.
  11. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    That it ended up removing a revenge kill from his nephew may have ultimately helped to save his soul from further dark side acts. Besides, if he’d been there he’d just have disappeared right before physical death as Kenobi did. Kenobi wasn’t physically there in the flesh versus Vader in the end either.

I love how in the absence of the force he became more like the father figure who raised him: Uncle Owen. Living off the land.

I like how IX showed that Luke had made contributions to the ancient Jedi texts prior. Including the Wayfinders.

VanLiz likes this.
  12. King Scoop

King Scoop Jedi Knight

Jan 1, 2016
    A missed opportunity, we waited 30 years to see what Luke could do as a Jedi Master. We should have gotten at least one real lightsaber battle. Yes, I wanted to see Luke Skywalker take down an entire army with his laser sword.

13. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Looking forward to seeing some of his earlier life between ROTJ and his dark crisis of Jedi faith period in the EU.

This comic is a great start.
    [​IMG]

study3600 and HevyDevy like this.
  14. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Same here, a little hint at something he was up to between ROTJ and TLJ.

I love that we still have story to anticipate post-TROS :)

15. JeanNo

JeanNo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    Oh yeah, the real Luke should have gone to Crait to (first) destroy At-Ats with the Force and (after) to fight his nephew in a duel... Sorry but THAT is not Luke. LS became a Jedi Master when he threw away his green lightsaber and refused to fight against Vader. What he did on Crait was true-luke stuff, not nonsense-warrior-luke.

VanLiz and Ender_and_Bean like this.
  16. MaverickJedi85

MaverickJedi85 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2019
    Hmm, for me it's just the opposite. Luke just ends up making Kylo look extra-evil (he actually attacks him in anger, ready to kill him) and extra-foolish/weak (he failed to sense it was all a vision to delay him).

By TLJ's ending, Kylo is extra-evil and the only villian of the ST left (Jonhson's idea).

In my eyes, Luke in TROS is a Jedi that has achieved actual peace and wisdom in death as a Force Ghost, which only makes him extra-miserable and pathetic in TLJ (his last corporeal days) and makes me feel extra-nostalgic for his long-gone ROTJ peak.

ImpKnight likes this.
  17. Chémus

Chémus Jedi Knight

Dec 5, 2019
    It's unimaginably stupid that after Luke's last line to Kylo, "see you around, kid", that he never appears to Kylo in TRoS.

18. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Luke saw Ben again at the end. Even if Ben didn’t see him.

19. -LordSkywalker-

-LordSkywalker- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Yeah not what I meant at all. He was a complete failure in the ST. His Jedi destroyed and he was instrumental to his nephew turning to the dark side. His light show on Crait did nothing to redeem him in my eyes. But glad you enjoyed it.

20. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Mixed feelings. I don't really like how Luke is such a failure in the ST because it undoes so much of the promise of the ending of ROTJ and thus retroactively makes Luke's journey in the OT feel superfluous knowing it only leads to bitter failure.

At the same time, I do really enjoy Luke's TLJ arc as an epilogue for his character and think his stuff on Crait is an amazing tribute and ending for him. I think he should have had more to do influencing the events in IX as a way of making up for his more passive role in TFA/TLJ.

21. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    This story is about Kylo and I'd bet Luke is gonna lose badly to the KOR because he can't fight his way out of a wet paper bag so preteen "Ben" can jump in and defeat them all in seconds.

That's the problem with how he ended up, any content between ROTJ and this little puppet show on Crait is either pointless because it doesn't lead to anything worthwhile or he is gonna be a loser already.

22. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Luke also trained with a lightsaber for 3 movies, lost in a lightsaber battle against Vader in TESB, but then destroyed him in a lightsaber battle on the Death Star in ROTJ, before deciding that he won't finish him off. There was no reason to finish him off, because Vader had already lost. Not because Luke was a pacifist who would throw away his lightsaber.

The feeling that I had when Luke showed up on Crait and I thought he was really there, standing alone against an army was one of the very few times I felt I was watching Luke in the ST. Only to be told later that it was all a Force Projection and not a really awesome ability that prevented Luke from getting damage such as an energy field where the light side just makes him invincible or something. That was the biggest disappointment I have felt in the ST, the hero I grew up with reduced to a slightly more realistic hologram, after being a quitter and a coward. He spent 3 movies helping his friends whenever they were in need and thinking about them and the galaxy, to be shown in 1 movie to not care about anything or anyone. Deconstruction achieved, reconstruction and elevation nowhere to be found.

To this day, this is the worst element of the ST for me.

PS. Ironic how it was not allowed for Luke to portray amazing abilities in The Force, but then in TROS the entire universe breaks and apparently someone who is Force sensitive can heal, resurrect, teleport, do bat**** crazy telekinesis and many more. But noooo, not Luke. Luke is supposed to throw away the lightsaber and deliver worthless speeches that make no sense and are inconsistent with everything we had seen before.

23. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    What the ST did to Luke is disgraceful, just disgraceful. It's so depressing to watch TLJ because Mark Hamill is more like a ghost than a man, haunted by the cancelled performance he has been shackled from providing. The decision to twist Luke from persevering optimist to depressed coward is not so much subversive as it is just lazy and mischievous. There is no complexity to it. Maybe it's too much to say that the fans were robbed of seeing the "real" Luke, because we're not entitled to anything, but it's no stretch at all to say that LFL carelessly and recklessly wasted the opportunity of a lifetime, Hamill's lifetime. Absolutely shameful.

[​IMG]

24. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Counter point - Mark and the character of Luke are the highlight of the ST. He gave his best performance in TLJ and came full circle. I loved that he was challenged through JJ’s decision to have him retreat into exile after the destruction of his temple. I love that in TLJ he fulfills Yoda’s Statement that the force for knowledge and Defence at Crait.

Unfortunately he, like so many other characters, are absolutely wasted in TROS. He serves his purpose for the pep talk and it’s fine. Would’ve been nice for something more substantial but there you have it.

I loved Luke in ST. I don’t think any other character except maybe Leia was done with more justice.

DarthKreVass and JeanNo like this.
  25. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Whether you admire his acting ability or not, it was 100% a retcon.

Are X-wings good against AT-AT's?

AgentCoop and ami-padme like this.