main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Where does Star Wars go as an IP from here?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by 2Cleva, Jan 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Credit to @Tyrian for this post from the Sequel Trilogy BO thread that got me thinking:

With the ST and the first phase of Disney Star Wars content in the books - the question is where does the Disney IP go from here. After the love and nostalgia when TFA released - Star Wars was back as one of the central points of entertainment and pop culture. Also hits with Rebels and Rogue One and the IP was rolling. However in the last few years that obviously isn't the case and several things have reinforced that.
    • The "dissension" over The Last Jedi.
    • Merchandise sales decreasing after release of TLJ.
    • Less than anticipated BO of Solo
    • Cancellation or shelving of Star Wars Story projects
    • Less than anticipated attendance at launch to Galaxy Edge
    • Cancellation of SW Resistance after 2 seasons (
    • Less than anticipated BO of The Rise of Skywalker

This thread is not to re-litigate why all of those things occurred or to argue that the results were good enough. This thread is about where Star Wars is in pop culture and most importantly - where is Star Wars going from here?

Right now the only SW content we know is underway is The Mandalorian and its been clearly a hit. Other projects have been rumored but since so many SW projects have been rumored and ended up cancelled its hard for me to give credibility to those. We'll know for sure when we see them.

But really - regardless of what comes out can anything occur to make Star Wars close to the entertainment impact it was as recently as TFA? Or is this the new reality for Star Wars? A good IP but just another one in the pile to choose from? Is that status purely a byproduct of more content from Star Wars (so its no longer special) as well as more entertainment options and worlds that it never could be as special as it was and SW fans need to adjust to that?

And mods - forgive me if this is more appropriate in a different thread. Please direct there if so.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    We do not have confirmation that Resistance was cancelled so no on that. Star Wars will be fine. Toy sails have always been done and will never reach OT heights. Disney will continue to make their money.

3. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    I really think the focus should be on developing TV shows/serials to stream.That's really where mainstream, average, person on the street viewers will be found.

They also need to understand the concept of "fun for kids of all ages" and not "kiddify" things too much. SW kids are more mature than Disney wants to think they are.

Future shows should just have the tone of The Mandalorian. It's sort of a "Star Wars Tone".

And I, for one, would love to see something developed to pay homage to old film serials, with cliffhangers and everything.

4. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    What do you mean we don't have confirmation it was cancelled? Season 2 is its last season, which was announced before it was aired. If it was only going to be a 2 season cartoon they would have announced that from the start.

I didn't say toy sales - I said merchandise. SW has suffered there, where as other IPs (including Disney IPs) have continued to sell well - including toys.

Disney is clearly making less money with the IP than they anticipated. If that's fine to them that's cool but that never tends to be the case with corporations.

I do think there is a lot to that. That said - Disney has always used films to set the stage for everything else (TV shows, merchandising, park attractions). So maybe only have a few films and focus on TV?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    What I mean is it being its past season doesn’t mean it was cancelled. Was Rebels also Cancelled? No it wasn’t. Was Breaking bad cancelled? No it wasn’t. They ended.

Mostly Handless and DarthRosie like this.
  6. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I feel like it needs to branch out into new eras and concepts. Also develop more TV shows, both animated and live action, maybe make some films for Disney+ ala Netflix original films.

One of the complaints is that they've been lacking relativity and imagination so far. Well, work on fixing that.

7. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Star Wars is no longer selling toys for kids.

It is selling a lot of videogames for all ages, and collectibles for adults.

In 1977, the kids played with Star Wars. Today, they have way many other options, and Star Wars has become something that is not made for kids.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Star Wars is still very much made for kids and young teenagers. That has not changed.

Wilhuff's Slippers likes this.
  9. LukeSkywalker7

LukeSkywalker7 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 14, 2012
    It’s just not smart business to go so kid friendly. The nerd fandom that is so obsessive is made up of 40-60 somethings now as well. Many of these people would go back multiple times if you don’t give them something embarrassing.

10. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Marvel Pixar, DreamWorks, Disney when they're on their game, etc. They all make movies that can appeal to almost everyone on some level. That's the key.

11. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    If they want the franchise to be hot again, enough to make 1b+ box offices and create new fans, then eventually they will need to retry their failed mission from the ST. They have to creat original characters, played by exciting young actors, putting a fresh spin on iconic Star Wars archetypes whether Jedi, scoundrels, princesses/princes, sorcerers, etc.

Also, I believe they need to make it technologically fresh, whether that is Avatar-quality 3D or some innovative use of animation, or something we haven't thought of yet. Yoda is not going to get us back to top-tier franchise status.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  12. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Make a series of movies that are ACTUALLY sequels to the previous installment. And that previous installment sets itself up for more sequels that people are dying to find out what happens. One of the BIGGEST issues with the ST is that neither TLJ nor TROS really acted like a true sequel to the previous one.

Another thing is, as much as I hate to admit it, make the films more "edgy" or "modern and cool". I don't like either of those but they ARE where the successful films are going. I did not like Thor Ragnorak but people sure did. I did not see Joker but people sure did.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    They aren’t going to retcon the ST if that’s what your implying

indydefense likes this.
  14. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Exactly, Disney and LFL need to always be aware of the demographics of their fanbase and produce stories to suit people of all ages; not just for kids.

The Mandalorian is a prime example of how this should be pursued. It has all of the things to entertain younger viewers, but has a maturity and quality in the narrative and the characters that appeals to older people.

The Yodaling hasn't become a global sensation for no reason at all. It has all of the right mannerisms and things that it does to endear it to viewers of all ages. But at the same time, it is not done too "over the top" so that 'Meesa not be annoying to the fans that are abit older because I have been produced to entertain young children by using childish mannerisms'. The Yodaling's mannerisms are endearing and funny whilst containing a sense of maturity.

The Mandalorian proves that you can produce something loved by all and by every age demographic if you get some quality producers/directors in place.

So where to go from here, I think you can explore any part of the timeline if the quality of narrative and character matches that in which we have seen in The Mandalorian.

15. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    Make Knights of the Old Republic especially since a certain character now exists in canon.

16. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    If they want to create new fans they need to give them an entry point that doesn't rely on any historical knowledge of Star Wars.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    This. Plus I want new original characters. I might like Revan but I don’t want to see his story unless it’s vastly different

cwustudent and Panakas_Dawg like this.
  18. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I disagree with a lot of people and think they should only focus on the shows. Yes the shows have a lot of potential but Star Wars there are so many Epic epic stories to be told on the big screen regarding Star Wars!! First Jedi first sith for example, Jedi sith wars, young Jedi , there’s so many diff ideas that some should be a tv show but they shouldn’t abandon the films entirely.

19. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s super easy to construct this theory when you ignore not only the most popular TV show in the world, but also a show that has generated some of the most viral memes in the world, and total adoration of a fictional character across every demographic. The Mandalorian burned all theories that people are tired of Star Wars to the ground.

20. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Ignored The Mandalorian? You didn't read the post did you?

ami-padme and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  21. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    Of course they're not going to announce that up front - that's a sure-fire way to drive viewership down even further than it is.

But the evidence is damning. Five episodes left and they're still introducing new characters into the story with scant time left for a meaningful payoff for the multitudes they already have. Filler episodes left and right. Resistance Season 2 has been structured like Rebels Season 2, not Rebels Season 4.

To address the original question, the tradeoff between "the entertainment impact around TFA" and "the quality impact of The Mandalorian" is one I don't even have to think about. I hated the way the franchise was going in 2014. I'm pretty happy right now.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  22. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I don't think it's very complex where they go from here. They go to a new era, with new characters (with something familiar thrown in there). TM is treated as a side note in the OP, when it's really all the evidence that you need that the IP isn't really in much trouble. There was a story - the ST - which people didn't like very much evidently. That's now over. It hasn't affected the general appetite for good SW stories, as TM demonstrates. They just need to create a story which people enjoy and they will buy it. It's really that simple.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  23. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I do not think LFL is going to do any stories post ST. Not for a while. I don't really think they have the desire, or the creative ambition, to show the rebuilding of the Jedi Order, or the New Republic. I definitely don't think they want to trap themselves into any boxes right now.

So yeah, I think we're either getting filler between EP 6 and 7, or going back. Far back. When the OR, the Jedi, and Sith, and whatever else, are already set up and established. Easier to tell a story when you don't have to invent new working orders.

24. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I did. But it was mentioned in an offhand way as if it’s just a show people like, and not much more. It’s a juggernaut in popular media, and demonstrates that Star Wars is more resilient than ever. Not least as it’s the most recent offering and clearly a harbinger of future content. The way the above polemic was written, you’d think the Mandalorian was a niche product that some fans liked at some point. The argument is completely unbalanced because it places almost all the weight on negativity around ST films from years ago, and almost no weight on the Mandalorian (and Obi-wan, etc, which fans are salivating over). It’s way off, in that respect. And clearly biased.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  25. Urple

Urple Jedi Padawan

Apr 17, 2019
    What The Mandalorian proves is that most people still enjoy the 1977-style Star Wars - a light-hearted small-scale story paying homage to western adventure serials and eastern samurai flicks.

What the Marvel Cinematic Universe proves is that people enjoy the formula it provides - smaller character "studies" eventually coalescing into mega crossovers, while cameos, references, and MacGuffins sprinkled throughout each entry tie them more concretely together for the mega nerds - i.e. us.

1+1=2 and Disney needs to stay safe.

So here's what (I think) we'll get: Feige's SWCU.

A Feige-led Star Wars continuity would safely skirt around the events of the Episodes and focus on a new batch of heroes from all corners of the galaxy coming together to fight a SuperBad. I know I am rehashing the plot of the MCU, but that's the idea. Hear me out.

It's safe to assume the timeline would start sometime after RotJ. (In fact, it has already started....) The Jedi are all but extinct, and untapped Force power exists in unknown individuals all around the galaxy - the perfect set up for a new crop of superheroes. The Prequel era is not popular enough and infested with Jedi - that wouldn't work because we need new forms of superhero powers beyond the scope of lightsabers and Force push. The Rebellion era is locked down by Alliance vs Empire and has no room to breathe, and any potential Old Republic stuff would require significant redesigns and wouldn't be safe enough for a project of this scale.

HOWEVER, much like in the MCU, you could safely bet on some stories making their way into other eras. A Rebellion-era story could show the origins of a hero before his/her appearance in the big Sequel-era crossover. Even an Old Republic hero could be preserved through any number of contrived magical ways and brought into the present day, so a series in that timeline could still fit into the overall continuity.

Consider this: Star Wars is already a superhero genre. Remember, this is a galaxy where Dathomir witches can appear and disappear on a whim and conjure the dead, where Force powers can be literally sucked out of you and stored in a floating ball, and where physical objects can be passed through the Force. It's a galaxy where someone without any Force powers at all can jetpack onto a moving TIE Fighter, where good guys can storm impregnable fortresses and kill dozens of armored troopers while remaining unscathed, over and over and over again.

And here's the best part: The Mandalorian already took the first step. That's right, Mando is our new Iron Man - the superhero without any Force powers, a guy who's just really good at killing things, rough and tough on the outside but also has a heart of gold. His era is the perfect starting point for a story that spans the next dozen or so years. The Mandalorian is a simple, stand-alone story, just like Iron Man was. We'll also have at least 2 or 3 seasons of his arc released before the next film drops, so he will be our de facto leading man.

I presume the strategy would be to develop other simple, easy-to-enjoy stand-alone adventure stories that feature characters that could eventually make it into the crossover. Admittedly the Cassian and Kenobi series don't fit into my idea for the strategy, but those were also announced before Feige became involved, so the strategy could change.

What would be the composition of the Phase 1 supergroup? Could be Mando the Bounty Hunter, Baby Yoda the Uncontrollable Force Power, a Dathomir witch, a force-sensitive Imperial defector, and a Jedi Master transported from the Old Republic. There you go - The Star Wars Avengers.

What we won't see featured? The First Order or the Resistance. Those concepts never worked and still don't, and they can easily be written off as unimportant on a galactic scale. Luke, Han, Leia, Rey, Finn, and Poe - all gone, beyond the possibility of a surprise cameo here or there. Dense galactic politics, bye bye. These are all elements that will stay part of the Skywalker Saga but will never be the focus of future stories. The very existence of Baby Yoda implies that the main narrative thrust of Palpatine vs Skywalker isn't the be-all end-all story to the Force in this galaxy. Also, a kid picked up a broom once, and that's canon whether you like it or not, folks.

I know many will argue that stand-alone stories would work better, but financially-speaking, I disagree. Both Solo and Rogue One were changed in reshoots to feature recognizable elements from Star Wars to tie them in more closely with continuity - a clue to Disney's thinking. A large part of the MCU's success is the fear of "missing out" - I'm willing to bet a significant part of ticket sales for Ant-Man and the Wasp and Captain Marvel were due to their possible impact on Avengers: Endgame. (I went to see both for that reason.) If Solo was part of a larger ongoing narrative people cared about, rather than telling a story people already knew, that film simply would not have failed. End of story.

afrojedi, Blobofat, Makarios and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.